NetApp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

George Kurian
  1. "Culture"

Technical Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great culture with "work family" mentality where everyone will help where possible. Lots of benefits with gym, health, dental etc

Cons

Usual issue of difficulty to decipher salary grading so in some cases must got to market to understand where you can get to but sometimes it is too late then.

Advice to Management

Be more visible as perception needs to shift to have visible leaders and not just managers.

NetApp2015-05-14
  2. "Execution constrained by too much red tape and complex operational structure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, generally helpful colleagues.

Cons

Top heavy operational structure, complex, restrictive sales operations, weak executive leadership, no differentiated strategy or direction.

Advice to Management

Focus on GTM not the back office processes and procedures.

NetApp2014-12-05
  3. "Cloud Crazy"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary. Nice employee stock purchase program. Flexible working. Great people who are genuinely interested in working together. Low micro management.

Cons

Everything is being cloud washed. Layoffs. Stack ranking at focal review time. Team and product overlap and lack of ownership. Tools and processes have not scaled and require manual intervention. Lots of meetings about meetings and communication. Meaningless mandatory training.

Advice to Management

Stop attempting to become EMC.

NetApp2014-11-11
  4. "Great company, appalling middle management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products and software. Very relaxed general atmosphere, great benefits and online training support.

Cons

Very poor mid/senior management. People promoted because they had great sales careers but no guarantee of being a great manager. The UK company hides behind it's 'Great Place To Work' global positions. Sales targets and commissions were very difficult to understand and targets were always given after the year had commenced.

Advice to Management

Too many staff changes drives inconsistencies that will in turn create disillusion amongst the workforce. Ensure that when people are promoted that they are given very clear targets and support.

NetApp2014-09-11
  5. "Great and declined in last year"

Former Employee - GSI Partner Manager - EMEA in London, England

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

they used tohave a great culture and care for the employee that sloped downwarss in the last 3 years, company needs new management

Cons

Lack of investment in development of Serious Global SI reltionships, no utility models, massive expectation on goal setting for growth and limiting of earnings

Advice to Management

Review Exec Management

NetApp2014-07-24
  6. "Great"

Current Employee - TSE in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for less than a year

Pros

A good company to work for. Good work life balance and training.

Cons

Lots to learn and the learning curve is steep but worthwhile. Could be managed better

NetApp2014-04-01

"Great People"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People, nice place to work overall, but that is about it. Company is not well balance between Sales and rest of the organisation, if you are outside sales be prepare to work 12 to 14 hour days, daily.

Cons

Outside sales, be prepare to work extremely hard and long hours. Nearly all resources go into Sales headcount. The product is 1 dimensional and company is pretty flat, all the best people are leaving. NetApp have wasted their opportunity in the market place which they work hard to get too 3 to 4 years ago.

Advice to Management

little the company is on a downward spiral, failure to innovate and acquire the right technologies / companies.

NetApp2014-01-29
  8. "Great place to work, just going through a little rough patch"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very supportive SE management team who are genuinely interested in hiring quality people and developing talent. Very liberal work-home life balance - work from home at your own discretion when not required for face-to-face meetings. Doctors, Dentist appointments etc come out of work time with no questions asked. Every company has some bad eggs, but at NetApp the people are of a generally high calibre, a pleasure... to work with and you can rely upon them. This is something I've really struggled to find elsewhere. Expenses are very liberal with SEs like me actively encouraged to entertain customers / partners to build our own relationships in social environments. Lots of opportunities for progression and active participation in anything you find that doesn't fall under the remit of your day job.

Cons

There has been a higher than normal level of attrition in the past 12-24 months with several long standing employees leaving. Reasons for this vary with no common theme. Some cite the change of NetApp from a small company to a big one with the influx of too much bureaucracy and process. I personally think this just brings a different type of challenge and it might mean we need different types of people to overcome... it. Financial packages are generally not quite as high as you probably could get elsewhere if you are a high achiever. SE management is currently in a state of transition and trying to figure out what it wants to be. There is some frustration in the business about the slow reactions of this management team and the fact that they are all people managers rather than technical leaders. There is a major product transition going on at NetApp as we take customers from 7-mode to Clustered Data ONTAP and it is creating a lot of pain for both customers and field sales. The corporate message is that the destination is worth the journey and if I put my hand on my heart I think it is, but it still makes it stressful sometimes when you're the one having to make that journey day in day out.

Advice to Management

To the SE management team, make sure we continue to hire only the best people. The standard of individual we bring in is the base from which we build all our differentiation. Everyone coming in needs to continue to be exceptional. To the wider organisation, as we grow it's important to make sure that internal processes and tools take into account the views of the field. Some areas of the business are better than... others at this but in too many cases there are people in the field getting frustrated because they work with tools / processes that they feel don't support the way they need to work. As we grow this becomes harder and harder but it's paramount that we continue to do this.

NetApp2013-07-14

"NetApp is struggling with its transition to a mature, "big company" culture."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazingly maintained gross margins. Effort put in to "a great place to work." Technology that you can win with. Good education system and good communication within the company. Slowing yet still strong revenue growth.

Cons

Culture is turning into a "big company" with Fiefdoms developing and more and more politics. Management is making the fatal mistake of attributing NetApp's success to their own actions feeding a significant and growing ego problem with the decision makers. Significant defections in the technical ranks to companies like: Whiptail, Isilon/EMC, Atlantis Computing, X-IO, Pure Storage, Nimbus, TinTri, and even... VMware.

Advice to Management

NetApp is still behind in the move to scale-out storage. Even though the present marketing push to C-Mode may help it is likely too late. NetApp may need to move from market share acquisition to market share preservation. Perhaps, it is time to aggressively move toward the EMC model and buy your next-generation technology.

NetApp2012-10-14

"Not the same company it was a few years ago"

Systems Engineer in London, England

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp as a company is great (but there's a sense that NetApp UK isn't really part of that company - we're more like a subsiduary). There's plenty of work to keep you busy - There's always something that needs doing, and generally management keep pushing work onto people until they push back or quit. While many have left recently, there are still some very smart people here.

Cons

Chronic underinvestment in the whole UK business. Office facilities are appauling (not enough parking, one very unreliable coffee machine shared by about 60 people, often have to queue to use the toilet etc). There's simply not enough pre-sales guys to support the sales reps, and as a result the pre-sales management have been trying to offload as much stuff from their pre-sales guys as possible. Over time this... has lead to a pre-sales team which now has almost no technical knowledge. They can't perform a demo, they can't size a solution, they can't even talk for more than 5 minutes about core products & features. As a result, its become more of a struggle for an SE to actually convince a customer to buy anything, so instead they rely on the Consulting SE (CSE) team (which is 5 guys for the whole of the UK) to do all that stuff. So basically, 5 people are doing all the actual presales work, and the SE team pretty much just organise meetings & conference calls. Oh, and employees are gradually being treated worse and worse. It seems like the "great place to work" results are thrown around constantly by senior management to try and fool people into thinking this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

You have a pre-sales team of SEs that are so stretched, and so unmotivated that they have to rely on CSEs and PSCs for pretty much everything. And, when an SE shows a desire to learn something, to perform a demo themsevles etc, then you should reward that behaviour (not ignore it as happens too often currently). When a CSE doesn't run a mile at the thought of doing something hands on, then you should not penalise... their can-do attitude by making it their responsibility to do all the hands on stuff that once upon a time the SEs used to do. It's all well and good reconising sales reps who reach their target, but you have to recognise the people that helped that sales rep discover, work & close those opportunities - and you have to invest in those people at least in line with your investment in sales reps if you expect to sustainably grow the business.

NetApp2011-03-09