New Penn Motor Express Employee Reviews about "yrc"

Updated Feb 3, 2018

Found 8 of over 90 reviews

New Penn Motor Express President Howard Moshier
Howard Moshier
Pros
  • "Good pay, some co-workers were very nice(in 6 reviews)

• "The people you directly work with are great people and are very welcoming, comfortable team to work with(in 3 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No direction, yrc is like big brother, dot rules getting worce(in 6 reviews)

• "Very low morale, probably due to the low pay and absence of motivation or ability to move forward in the company(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "yrc"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Current p&d driver

Feb 3, 2018 - City Driver in Camp Hill, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really? Everything that once drew good help here has been taken away other than company paid healthcare. YRC has turned this place into a “ cant get a job elsewhere we’ll take you”

Cons

Equipment is falling apart shop is not allowed to work enough to keep up, older equipment is fine if properly maintained. No communication amongst the management , frustrating trying to fulfill your duties when every other day you have to switch equipment because they can’t keep track of wrote up/ red tagged equipment. The next guy will get it mentality should not be tolerated. Any employee trying to work efficiently should not be hampered by lack of organization . Going to work everyday should not like self inflicted punishment .

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Driver

Mar 15, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Steady work ,nothing hard, s ready ot,getting new trucks and trailers big into safty , terminal is ok,friendly workers, great office staff,

Cons

No growth high turn over. No direction, yrc is like big brother, dot rules getting worce. Bad contract with past give backs

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Communications Coordinator

We appreciate the recognition that New Penn is heavily focused on safety. We constantly remind our employees to work safely, we strive to create a safe work environment and are including new safety features in all of our trucks. It’s also great to hear that your co-workers are friendly and that you’re impressed with the quality office and administrative team. We agree they are some of the best in the business. The numbers certainly don’t support concerns about growth. Our volume has continued to grow this year, exceeding our targets through March. Regarding retention, right now is a great job market for drivers. They are in huge demand because there’s a shortage of qualified, professional drivers like our employees. We work hard to retain these vital members of the New Penn team by offering a strong package of benefits and very competitive pay. Overall, we know that our drivers agree that we have something good to offer because our retention rate is higher than the industry average. As a member of the YRC group of companies, we are required to do certain things. Overall, though, YRC recognizes that New Penn has long had strong leadership that make the company a success. YRC continues to give us a lot of freedom to run the company the way think best. Regarding DOT, they regularly modify current rules and add new ones – focused mainly on safe operation – that we are required to follow. These rules apply to every LTL carrier the same as they apply to us. We negotiated the contract with the union leadership, and the members voted to approve it. We think it is a fair agreement that enables New Penn to remain competitive while providing our Teamster employees with valuable protections related to their employment, compensation and safety. We especially agree with your final comment that the driver is our best asset. They are the face of New Penn to our customers and are personally responsible for us achieving our goal of consistent, safe, reliable delivery.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Good pay and benefits, but nothing else

Jan 29, 2016 - Local P&D Driver in East Syracuse, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits, but not worth the stress you had to deal with.

Cons

No training, management out of touch with workers, very stressful, harsh working environment. Especially in winter time. Many senior workers and management treat Jr. Drivers like garbage. .Equipment is old, outdated, poorly maintained, and filthy on the inside. Communication systems for loaded and empty calls are horrible and constantly breaking. Because of union environment, many senior drivers treat Jr. drivers like garbage. Many guys act like macho men and most guys seems to only look out for themselves. A lot of brown nosing. Not all, but many senior drivers use their seniority to subsidize their laziness. They can be the worst performing driver in the barn, e.g. call in sick, refuse to do certain work,.. etc.. but yet, because of their seniority they'll be given preference over someone who works twice as hard. Horrible management, constantly passing the buck for their failures. Routes and Pickups are poorly scheduled to drivers within the areas. No training. Yet you're expected to perform and know the job in spite of that. Most managers and driver have very low moral character. Every other word out of their mouths is an F-bomb In the winter time, Dock is colder than the outside temp. . You have both the Teamsters dues and a 15% give back to YRC Trucking because Yellow owns them and negotiated a contract for a give back a few years back. When you start it's very hard to get a steady bid. You'll bounce around forever until someone quits, get's fired, or retires.

3 people found this review helpful

Marketing Communications Coordinator

Dear Former East Syracuse, NY local P&D driver: Your experience sounds very different from how most employees would describe working at New Penn. As it is with so many things in life, what is delivered back to you is the result of what you put forth. At New Penn, it is possible to advance yourself and earn seniority by putting forth the effort. Many employees appreciate working for a company that offers you the ability to advance your career. As mentioned in your “Pros,” New Penn offers a competitive pay with good benefits including outstanding healthcare for members of our team and no healthcare co-pays. Not many businesses can say that today. Here at New Penn, we understand reliable equipment is necessary to meet our customers’ delivery expectations. We have added a great many new tractors and trailers to our fleet in 2014-2015. Our CSA maintenance scores testify that our equipment is maintained in good condition. New Penn is also investing in new collision avoidance technology to help improve the safety of our professional drivers as well as others on the nation's highways. We hire only highly qualified drivers with good records. New Penn is helping build those skills with additional training, like the Smith System, which everyone is receiving to improve driver safety awareness and skills. We provide driver mentor training as well. A majority of New Penn breakrooms have digital bulletin boards that share safety information as well as equipment and unloading tips. The New Penn East Syracuse, NY facility is kept in great condition and very well-maintained. We believe anyone with the required skills and a focus on doing what it takes to meet the needs of our customers will find a welcoming environment and an opportunity to build a long and satisfying career at New Penn.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

City driver

Aug 12, 2015 - City Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid benefits, vacation pay up to 3weeks, great people

Cons

Giving up 15% wages concession and giving up portion of pension to bail YRC out of possible bankruptcy, even though top management gave themselves big bonuses. They keep extending the term and now it's till 2019. Terminal received notice we will never get our concession back.

1 person found this review helpful

Director - Human Resources

Our country, our industry and our company all went through tough times in 2008 and 2009. Companies across the US took strong measures and that required tough actions to survive. Some people lost jobs or had their hours cut. Here at New Penn, the Teamsters worked with us on contract changes that we hoped would preserve jobs and ensure that our company would be able to weather the recession. All New Penn employees saw a pay cut and gave up some of their pension. Other companies closed their docks and sold off their trucks, but the sacrifices made by our employees contributed to New Penn’s survival. We’re deeply grateful for the sacrifices made by members of the New Penn team and for the part each employee made in keeping our company alive and strong.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee

Ops Supvr

May 13, 2015 -  in Cranston, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

A ton of valuable knowledge within organization with aging workforce. Some are willing to help rookies, some aren't. It is a double edged sword. You couldn't work here if you didn't have years upon years of experience (PRO). Now, English isn't even really a requirement, which, more often than not, makes the job (for both mgmnt and union) more difficult, especially when simple instruction cannot be understood or conveyed without having to essentially "hold hands" and walk the employee through your verbal instructions and show them what you want done and how. (CON/PRO depending on which side of the fence you're on) The company still has tremendous growth and earnings potential... But is hindered by its owner (YRC)

Cons

Nobody cares anymore. From Union dockworker and P&D driver all the way up the chain of management. What once was a career of pride, is now just a job of misery. As a supervisor, years ago, you could lose your job on th spot with the way this company is being ran day in and day out now. Now a days, TDD's and GHT's are buried in loads behind apt freight or are loaded dead in the nose. Misloads are a common occurrence. Damages and claims are out of this world ridiculous. New Penn was where you wanted to be, it was THE BEST of the best... The dockworker had the mentality of what ever freight he/she was handling was their own and they owned it. There were no damages. Everyone looked out for each other and cared for the freight they were moving. Now, sadly... Nobody cares. Failing equipment and low morale with no mend in sight. New Penn, I feel unfortunately, is an endangered species with a low life expectancy. It is truly sad to see where this company has come.

4 people found this review helpful

Director - Human Resources

Like most companies these days, the New Penn workforce is more diverse than ever. That includes a larger number of people with English as their second language. What matters most about these employees isn’t who they are or where they came from, but that they are ready and willing to do what it takes to safely move our customers’ shipments. We are eager to help these and all New Penn employees succeed in meeting those goals. We do that through our training program, something that we continue to invest heavily in. In addition to teaching job skills, we help employees understand our corporate goals, and the need to always, always work safely. It’s great to hear from employees who are concerned about doing a quality job for our customers: delivering freight safely, damage-­‐free and on-­‐time. Look at the data about the quality of our performance, and you will see that we continue to live up to our reputation for being one of the most efficiently operated transportation providers with one of the lowest claim ratios in the industry. There will always be mistakes made and there are always ways to do better than we do today. Almost every New Penn employee cares about our company and is committed to finding those better ways. We are eager to hear their suggestions and constantly are searching for ways to improve.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

everyday is an adventure

Feb 14, 2014 - Operations Supervisor in Trenton, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits.......pay is good but haven't gotten a raise in 5 years

Cons

we are owned by YRC and it seems like we are at a standstill with no real future

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A very average freight terminal with a company losing potential

Oct 15, 2012 - Weights and Inspection Coordinator in Neville Island, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inspecting freight was a great way to learn about the freight industry from the inside and also a great way to see the daily grind that a city and a road trucker face. The pay was good, the atmosphere was relaxed because the terminal is small, and interaction was professional with truckers and managers.

Cons

Company was bought by YRC in past years and was hurting because of that. No chance of a pay raise in any near future as a result. Management is relaxed and afraid to take hold of their positions. I found instruction slim to none from the managers and had to rely on calling other terminals for support and criticism.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Cabable carrier that is beholding to the desires of a larger holding company .

Feb 3, 2011 - Customer Service in Billerica, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The have a reputation for consistant delivery and service for the NE.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility for employees . Beholding to the directives of YRC and may be losing their idenity as a speciality NE carrier. They are starting to look like everyone else. Management is not aware and disconnected from drivers , reps and the field. Teamster issues always in the background.

5 people found this review helpful