Newton Europe Business Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Business Manager

4.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 33 reviews)

• Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week (in 8 reviews)

"Be part of something different"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Tetbury, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Tetbury, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A genuinely different consultancy proposition which means we deliver results
    Excellent personal growth
    Steep remuneration curve, equity stake at business manager and above
    Fun and challenging (in a good way) culture with many solid friendships made
    Rewarding work
    Meritocratic recruitment and promotions system

Cons

Delivering on client site necessitates being away from home, and though that lessens as you become more senior it never stops being a requirement to be away 2-4 nights per week

Advice to Management

Don't ever compromise on the calibre of those you're bringing in or the culture you drive

"Great people and culture, exciting work"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My colleagues were all incredibly talented people who were genuinely fun to work with. The recruitment process looks for strong social skills and that is clearly noticeable in the company culture.

The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it. This isn't a job for people with just great chat or ideas, you actually need to be able to get results by working with people of all layers within the clients.

Cons

The lifestyle is full on. You are working away from home Monday to Friday, living in hotels. All is paid for and the company cars are great, but you will not be able to join social events at home during the week.

"A fantastic 4 years and more to come"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number one pro is the work. Every project i have worked on (and now manage) push us and the client to do something exciting. I get a huge sense of satisfaction from seeing first hand the change that we create.

The learning and development opportunities in Newton are simply brilliant. 4 years as an experienced hire and i am still on 'the edge of comfort', constantly pushing learning through innovative courses and learning on the job.

A big pro is the quality of employees. Working with such a talented group, who challenge from top to bottom is hugely rewarding.

The salary is good, i feel i get rewarded for my effort. Annual leave is generous.

Cons

The job requires you to be mobile, so personally i find the travel a bit much on occasion. That being said, i am making it work even with a baby in the family.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the growth of the company and focus relentlessly on keeping the culture. The culture is what i found so attractive 4 years ago, and to date, we have maintained it even through doubling in size.

"Entrepreneurial Company with Great Personal Development"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture of having fun and team spirit
    Company is growing rapidly (which means you have to as well)
    Personal development and growth
    Really actually drive change in client businesses - very satisfying
    Steep remuneration curve

Cons

Stretching roles and tough environments means its hard work
    Living away from home during the week strains realtionships

Advice to Management

Keep the small company vibe

6. "The most exciting and stimulating company there is!"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Bath, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For me the number one thing about Newton is the people - there is a buzz and a feeling of support whenever the company congregates that I have not encountered elsewhere. It is these very people that are driving the company forward - from delivering exceptional projects across a range of sectors, to developing all of the internal processes and tools that make the company tick.

The company has changed a lot in the seven years I have been with them and it is really exciting to think where it will be in another seven years! The drive of the founding Directors and the commitment to the company and the team with in it is inspirational.

Newton offers highly competitive remuneration which grows rapidly with your progression through the business. Promotion is based on merit - when you are ready, you will be promoted, and if you are not quite ready, you will be given the support required to develop.

Cons

It is hard work so don't expect a cosy nine-to-five job, but the hours are typically no longer than the senior team on site. The challenges are tough as well, be it a complex data set, or a defensive client - but the support network within Newton can advise, assist and train you to overcome these scenarios.

The main crux which you must be comfortable and realistic about is the lifestyle - within the first three years it is realistic to be away from home during the week (with all your expenses paid). I find this manageable and positive - even with a family at home - as the weekend are 100% my own, and you are on site with a great team of friends who are also your colleagues. Also you end up in some great parts of the world so just embrace a different place! If the lifestyle works for you, it is an amazing job, but if it doesn't, it could feel tough.

Advice to Management

Don't change the mix of people, don't change the drive you provide and keep looking for the next challenge!