Newton Europe Reviews

4.0
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
Cons
  • "Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot(in 44 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development Energy Growth Impact Teamwork No limit on the number of promotions - so no internal competition for places Fun No weekend working (really) Impressive clients Share options for senior team A great place to learn A career accelerator

Cons

All consuming - flat out from 5:30am on a Monday until 6pm on a Friday every week. This could obviously be seen as a strength too! A strong culture for people with previous experience to join - it definitely can and has worked, but it takes time (years) and commitment to see it through Diversity - although there’s been a recent recognition of this and is beginning to change

2. COVID-19

"Not perfect. But very good"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I doubt you’ll work with a smarter bunch of people. The impact on your professional development is invaluable. The recruitment process is very strong, making sure that the people we hire are excellent. They are also nice: I have made some very close friends throughout my time at Newton: some still work here, some don’t. We don’t get every project right and sometimes we take on the wrong work. But at the core there is an outstanding set of tools and methods that will serve you well wherever you go in your career. The focus on performance is right. In my experience, there is a strong sense of fairness in Newton. If you do right by the company, the company will do right by you.

Cons

Travel is thoroughly exhausting but COVID is causing the business to wake up to the remote working. Mental health is clearly a concern for too many people, especially junior, and making sure that we put the right controls in place is so important. It doesn’t matter if 100 people have a good experience with Newton and their mental well-being. If 1 person has a bad experience then it’s not good enough. I can’t help feeling as though there has been some collateral damage from the performance management culture. While it is necessary to keep the business dynamic, it is a very difficult thing to get right all the time. We need to make sure that our junior managers are given the right support with the right checks and balances that they are doing a good job themselves. There have been a few home truths for the business in diversity and inclusion over the last few years but the company is moving in the right direction.

May 20, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, there has clearly been a great deal of consideration put in which we really appreciate. Without feedback like this we aren’t able to improve, which is something we strive to do. Feedback is always taken seriously and discussed regularly with leadership. We pride ourselves in creating a culture where colleagues become close friends who support each other to be the best that they can be – we are so pleased that you have recognised that aspect of our culture as well! Our core methodology is something that our founder Tom takes personal responsibility for, taking the first week of each induction as he believes so strongly in its value. The mental health and wellbeing of our people are of utmost importance to us. We undertake fortnightly ‘check-in’ surveys to gauge how teams are feeling and are introducing mental health first aid training to take proactive steps to ensure the wellbeing of our people, and to recognise the signs so that we can help provide the right assistance at the right time. If you have any particular points that you would like to follow up on personally, please do not hesitate to contact hrshared@newtoneurope.com in confidence.

"Have a serious think about whether this is the right place for you"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely great people that work there, who are intelligent, dedicated, and caring. If it works out for you, it can be fun, rewarding and challenging.

Cons

If you have a browse of these reviews you'll see that there are a bunch of 4/5 star ones, saying how great the company is for development, career progression etc, with the only down side being the long hours and being away during the week. Then there a bunch of reviews saying that the company has a toxic culture, poor managers and causes people to have breakdowns, with no regard for mental wellbeing. Chances are you'll be in the first category, but be prepared for a difficult time if you're in the latter. Which one you fall in depends significantly on how well you fit with the company. The company puts such an emphasis on 'fit', that it is often taken to mean how much like your manager are you. The result is a company of very similar people, that is overwhelmingly white and male, and lacks diversity. As someone from a minority background it can be an extremely uncomfortable place, made all the worse by the constant pressure to conform and be like everyone around you. The business has a high turnover, and disproportionately forces out people from minorities. However, it is an extremely intense environment and stressful regardless, so be prepared for this either way. This is amplified by staying away from home Monday to Friday with colleagues to the extent that even time outside of work is scrutinised and given feedback on. This feedback culture can go too far, and in many cases people feel like they can be set up to fail, rather than supported to do the job well. I had experiences where right before doing a task my weaknesses were repeated back at me, under the guise of making me aware as to do better next time, but in reality just reinforced the negativity and instilled anxiety. The business is also pretty out of touch - during my time there it was being discussed whether to use a made up 'ethnic' name on their recruitment literature to appear more diverse. Fortunately, this did not go ahead, but the fact it was even considered says enough. The company more recently says it has recognised its issue with diversity to an extent, but when the business is built around churning out consultants to the same mould, and performance managing out the ones that don't fit, it is never going to be a genuinely inclusive place. The company has been described as a cult, and to be honest it can have that feel. From the book that you get called 'Being Newton' to the fact that you're drilled to believe you're the best and no one else can do what you can. I was even told by a manager on leaving to expect people in my next company to not be as smart as they are here. Most importantly, the company has a bad track record of seriously affecting people's mental health. It needs to learn that even if some people are not performing in the way they want them to, it has a duty of care to not destroy their confidence, insult their ability, and then let them go. This has happened on numerous occasions, and in my case could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a few genuinely caring colleagues. The fact another review mentions rumours of NDAs after poor company behaviour, and this hasn't been directly denied by the company implies it is true. It will be interesting to see what they respond to this one, if at all. The point of this review is to give an accurate account of an experience at Newton so you can form a balanced opinion, as the marketing during the recruitment process glorifies the work and obviously only shows everything in a positive light. In my opinion, If you have the skills to succeed at Newton, you would also be successful at a number of other places, and probably be a whole lot happier. If you have the slightest of doubts, save yourself the trouble, and more importantly your mental health, and look elsewhere.

July 6, 2020Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We take the issues you have raised very seriously, and want to take the time to give a properly considered response. We will get back to you shortly, in the meantime if you would like to get in touch personally please do not hesitate to contact hrshared@newtoneurope.com in confidence.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Massive focus on personal development. Really fun. Values your opinions & recognises hard work.

Cons

Travelling constantly can take its toll, but it's to be expected in an on-site consultancy. Luckily the people and ethos really helps makes this the least bad it can be!!

5. COVID-19

"A challenging, rewarding & genuine business"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

It's immensely challenging and stretching and deeply rewarding. There is real trust in you to deliver to a high standard and to keep improving and you really feel empowered to achieve. A very genuine culture and just a really fun place to work with nice people.

Cons

It's immensely challenging and stretching!

April 20, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Many thanks for your review. Newton was based on the principles of fun, friendship and high performance and it is good to see that you find it a challenging, rewarding and fun place to work. We are hugely proud of how our people have responded to the impact of Covid-19. #proudtobenewton

"When things get tough they do not have your backs at all"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

People there are on the whole friendly and they have fortnightly company catch ups to see all your friends

Cons

When things get tough they do not have your backs at all! Only thing they seemed to care about is the bottom line and making sure projects make the most money possible! Have seen the company disregard a lot of people and cause them to have breakdowns

April 20, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to review. As you have mentioned in your comments our people are really important to us and our fortnightly review nights where we all get together for an evening before we work together on client challenges the next day are a way that we recognise this. Fun, friendship and high performance are at the heart of our values. We pay a lot of attention to our employees well being and when made aware we always step in to offer the right level off support. We often remind our employees of the well being resources we have available for them to use, along with our fortnightly employee satisfaction survey which gives everyone the opportunity to voice any difficulties they may be experiencing. We understand that Newton is a stretching environment but our value of loving our people is very important to us.

"Fast progression, high turnover"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career progression and development Company parties Salary and benefits such as ski trip and car Genuinely interesting projects and work

Cons

Highly stressful Constant micromanaging and strong feedback culture which is emotionally wearing People frequently disappear from the company as they are 'performance managed out'. High turnover. If you don't fit a certain mould it can be hard to fit in. Impossible to have a life other than work in the week So exhausted by the weekend often have to pull over to nap in car in service stations on way home

March 31, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thanks for your review. At Newton, we offer a stretching environment where people can grow at a fast rate. We believe the best way to learn is by doing – with plenty of guidance and support and feedback from colleagues. We go to great lengths to gauge the satisfaction and well-being of our staff, in order to identify issues and take action to help when problems are raised, including through our fortnightly employee satisfaction survey, which offers everyone the opportunity to voice any difficulties, along with a ‘quick response’ option for immediate support. We take our employees mental health very seriously. To ensure we are the best we can be we are also investing in a number of Mental Health First Aid training courses over the next six months to ensure our staff are better equipped to manage mental health and wellbeing issues.

8. COVID-19

"Not so proud to be Newton....."

1.0

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Work life balance Good benefits

Cons

Poor management Do not stand by values

April 16, 2020Employer Brand Specialist

Many thanks for you review, we’re sorry to hear your concerns. Newton’s values of professionalism with respect, exceptional performance and loving our people are of the utmost importance to us, since they underpin everything we do. We take your comments seriously and believe them to not be a true account so we would therefore encourage you to get in touch with us so that we can discuss your concerns further via: HRshared@newtoneurope.

"Learn a lot, fast paced, development focus - can be exhausting"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Massive focus on personal development (you are the product) - people generally promoted every few years, and little room to sit still. Deliver real operational benefit - we are expensive, but we are great value for money based on tangible savings. The work we do is also the right work, focus on where data shows are the biggest barriers, and not short term cost cutting Newton puts a lot of effort into recruiting people who are likeable who you would generally want to work with Company gives you a platform to go and change what you want - you just need the evidence to support it and bring people on the journey Company has gotten far more decisive around emerging issues (not just well intended words)- e.g. dangerous driving, inclusiveness and diversity,

Cons

If you aren't focused on career progression (even as a side product of developing yourself) - then it's probably not the right job for you. If you have been doing a role longer than 2 years and not pushed for promotion, you will probably need to leave the business. Senior leadership has largely been grown within the business (they joined as one of the first grads e.g.) who are generally incredible at delivering amazing programmes with real benefit, but may not have the best management/ empathy skills with their internal team.

"Fast paced, learn huge amounts quickly - poor management"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steep learning curve with great opportunities for responsibility. Surrounded by very capable and ambitious young colleagues can make the fast paced lifestyle stressful, but also keeps it fun. Always opportunities and support to put in extra work to run initiatives, training, charity work, or to even change the way the company is run.

Cons

Away from home 5 days a week. Managers have very little experience, particularly struggling with handling team wellbeing. Mental health is not managed well. Many rumours of Non-Disclosure Agreements being signed to protect company reputation after poor company behaviour.

March 2, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback. Whilst Newton is a faced paced environment and we encourage our people to stretch themselves, we also pay a lot of attention to the wellbeing of our people. Wellbeing issues cannot always be publicly discussed but when known we always step in to offer the right level of support for the individual whether this is through line manager, HR support or by offering counselling services via our confidential Employee Assistance Programme. We are also investing heavily in a number of Mental Health First Aid training courses over the next six months to ensure our staff are better equipped to manage mental health and wellbeing issues.

Found 126 reviews