Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Newton Europe Founding Directors Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "You do have to spend significant time away from home during the week, but it’s made up for by having clear weekends" (in 36 reviews)

• "Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Challenging and fun"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really love the culture - focus on people and the care that everyone has for doing a good job with clients.

Cons

The projects are hard - it’s what makes it feel worthwhile - but it can be tough.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on people and our focus on clients.

2. "Very profit based"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Very interesting work, great variety and pay.

Cons

Very profit focused, doesn’t sit well with those who put doing the right thing above making money the quickest way possible.

Advice to Management

Stick to what you market your brand as. I was attracted to this firm because you claimed to be honest, ethical and uncompromising, putting actual results above monetary gain. Definitely not what I saw.

"If you want responsibility, challenge, and a great culture, look no further!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get responsibility from day one. You'll be managing your own clients and delivering your own workstreams; there's no hiding behind a laptop or report-writing. It's a perfect balance of technical problem solving and working with people.

The problems are real and the work is varied. You could spend the morning in an operating theatre, on a submarine, or on a factory floor, and the afternoon crunching numbers with senior stakeholders in the boardroom. You'll leave site at the end of the week knowing you've added value and having make a tangible difference.

Excellent development opportunities. Feedback and development is fundamental to Newton culture, and everyone has your back to get you to reach your potential. There are no formal qualifications, but the hands-on experience you get at such an early point in your career will speak for itself.

The social side and job perks are brilliant. There are six weekends away with the company each year, of which you can attend as many or as few as you wish. These include ski trips, activity sports, secret-location city breaks and Edinburgh Fringe, among others. Fortnightly Review Nights and Review Days mean you get to see colleagues from other projects frequently, who will inevitably become some of your closest friends.

Cons

The nature of the job means you're away from home a lot, and this won't suit everyone. However, many people find moving around the country and working with different teams/clients exciting.

Workloads fluctuate so there'll be long hours on some weeks. You're guaranteed to be home by 6pm every Friday, and there's strictly no weekend work, so you can switch-off at the weekend even if it can be difficult to do so mid-week.

Advice to Management

Prioritise maintaining the culture and spirit that make Newton so special as we grow.

4. "Fantastic Product and Special Culture"

Current Employee - Head of Recruiting in Abingdon, England
    Current Employee - Head of Recruiting in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Newton has an amazing story of growth - built on the quality of people we've hired and the quality of what we deliver to our clients. We continue to break into new markets and impress new clients and thus the sales forecast is very strong.
    People within the business have a strong attachment to it and demand better from every function and project - as such we are continually improving what we do and there is a strong sense of ownership and responsibility.

Cons

Everyone at Newton is so committed to the growth and success of the business it creates quite a culture of hard work and success. It's matched by a strong play hard culture too and personal time is respected, but it probably isn't the company for someone who wants a 9-5 with little pressure.
    Newton can be a challenging environment to join when you join as an experienced professional. It's becoming better as we grow, but the initial shock of joining a company with such a strong culture and beliefs can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on maintaining the bits of our culture which make us special while encouraging diversity to keep us evolving.

"Mixed reviews"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

- Career progression
    - Salary and benefits
    - Social events

Cons

- Young, male, middle class dominant culture - lacks diversity
    - Poor work/life balance

6. "great guys"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

amazingly talented people, high energy and fast pace

Cons

very senior management can seem a bit disconnected from the body of the organsiation

"Abysmal company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting methodology, though it’s nothing special.
    Some (not many) really great people there.

Cons

Backstabbing, cult like culture.
    Unless you confirm to the mould you’ll be managed out the business, nothing to do with performance. It’s interesting to see many who don’t contribute ideas that manage to thrive.
    Avoid at all costs, join a real company where managers think about more than themselves.
    A complete lack of understanding as to their assets (people) and a very outdated methodology with no capability to modernise.
    Feedback is often used to destroy confidence and ensure compliance, rarely to do with job performance.

Advice to Management

Way too many ADs and drop the terrible culture.

"Exciting place to work if you fit the mould, otherwise can be horrible"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of focus on professional and personal growth/development
    Great responsibility early on
    Good salary package/everything paid for during the week bar lunch

Cons

Very little diversity
    Feels like a cult
    If you're not part of the cult-like behaviour, can be uncomfortable
    Not many empathetic people considering the type of work, although this is receiving more attention
    People can be very arrogant
    Work away from home during the week

Advice to Management

Focus more on diversity
    Put KPIs on well-being that actually matter and have impact

"Amazing People"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are some of the brightest, most driven, nicest people you will ever meet. They are always pushing the envelope of what is possible and form amazing client relationships as a result

Cons

You do have to spend significant time away from home during the week, but it’s made up for by having clear weekends.

10. "Challenging and Fun"

Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in Bath, England
    Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in Bath, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy from day 1, fun, opportunities and expectations for development and growth, and working with incredibly smart people

Cons

Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone