Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes, Kevin Jones, and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
Cons
  • "The only downside of working at Newton is the fact you have to be away from home quite a lot(in 42 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development Energy Growth Impact Teamwork No limit on the number of promotions - so no internal competition for places Fun No weekend working (really) Impressive clients Share options for senior team A great place to learn A career accelerator

Cons

All consuming - flat out from 5:30am on a Monday until 6pm on a Friday every week. This could obviously be seen as a strength too! A strong culture for people with previous experience to join - it definitely can and has worked, but it takes time (years) and commitment to see it through Diversity - although there’s been a recent recognition of this and is beginning to change

Newton Europe2019-08-06
  2. "Newton is an incredibly rewarding, stretching and fun experience"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing Work is impactful People are incredible You are stretched massively from the start

Cons

You have to live away from home monday to friday (weekends are absolutely no work allowed)

Newton Europe2019-12-10
  3. "Best place i've worked"

Current Employee - Head Office

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture People focussed Career progression Welcoming environment Benefits

Cons

I cannot think of anything to identify as a con

Newton Europe2019-12-03

"As good as it says on the tin"

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Cambridge, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Newton is a unique company. It employs fantastically bright, hard working, personable and brilliant people. It supports its employees like no one else, is incredibly reasonable, pragmatic, supportive and generous. I have had the incredible pleasure of 9 fabulous years working there and have made many firends for life, been treated to experiences and opportunities I'd have never had the chance elsewhere and learnt ... and done things I never though I would!

Cons

The only downside of working at Newton is the fact you have to be away from home quite a lot. This is only really a downside if you don't like being away from home and for me, in my early 20s, I enjoyed it too. Yes it's hard work, and emotionaly draining, but that's worth it when the work you're doing is value adding, has a clear purpose, is making a difference to the businesses and people you're wokring with and... you can see the tangible and real improvemets hitting the bottom line of your clients.

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways to stretch the newer managers, find opportunities for them to take risks and fail fast. Keep innovating and don't get complaicent (I know you won't!)

Newton Europe2019-11-20

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is outstanding

Cons

None so far, enjoying it

Newton Europe2019-11-01

"Good company overall"

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Very good salaries compared to competitors Nice work environment

Cons

Have to travel a lot and only weekend free

Newton Europe2019-11-05
  7. "Good"

Current Employee - Operations Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a good company culture

Cons

The travel can be tough

Newton Europe2019-10-31

"Good consultancy - consultancy lifestyle is tough though!"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture. They make an effort to keep people happy away from home They really mean it when they say they'll get you home for 6pm on a Friday and no one works weekends

Cons

The travel - 5 days a week away from home wears you down There isn't an hours culture but be prepared for some long days

Newton Europe2019-11-07

"Rigged Assessment Center"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only good thing was the alright starting salary. Lunch was alright.

Cons

Beware, you will not have any offices. Expect to run around the whole of UK. My assessment center was horrible as there were many super aggressive and assertive people in the group who didn't talk sense but were somehow selected through to the next stage as well. They didn't bother looking at the quality of contributions and only marvelled at who's the loudest and talked the most. All the non-brits were dismissed... halfway through the day. Quite a shame really, since some of them made good points during the discussion.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you get into your company via these assessment centers. Obviously if you want to surround yourself with arrogant people who think they know it all, clients and offered candidates will start turning you down too.

Newton Europe2019-11-05

"Excellent Company but Travel is Difficult"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Exciting, impactful projects - Exposure to senior clients - Working with smart driven people - so great social life and stimulating conversations - Working at pace to deliver change - Intense professional development - Rapid role and wage progression - Frequent off-site days to share experience and issues as well as encouraging a close-knit community - Very little to no weekend working - Empowered to make... change within the company if you see a 'gap' - Lots of emphasis placed on company wellbeing via the fortnightly 'N-Gauge' survey which is regularly reviewed

Cons

- Frequent travel away from home - Strict performance culture - Impactful projects works both ways - satisfying to turn around, can be a slog - Myopic with respect to professional and technical gaps within the company (skills often only trained when they are needed) - Lots of emphasis placed on discretionary effort with little reward, meaning internal initiatives aren't as good as they can be and can't be driven... to success due to the charitable nature of the work - Sometimes quite arrogant - client work can be dismissed even if it has genuine merit - Can overstate capability and experience when selling a project - Highly individualistic nature means onus is placed on individual to make changes to their circumstances (this is both a good and bad thing) - Much of the internal knowledge is home-grown. Not known how much this represents state of the art!

Advice to Management

- Some roles within the company are poorly defined and the onus is put on the individual to define them. This job is plenty hard as it is and people need head space to do this. - Pioneering roles not necessarily rewarded with success. - Some internal KPI's are not well understood (utilisation, pipeline) and can contradict feeling on the group.

Newton Europe2019-09-11