Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Newton Europe Reviews

Updated 14 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 32 reviews)

• A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours (in 7 reviews)

"Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Early responsibility, working on problems that really matter and making change happen not writing endless powerpoint. Amazing team of people, team spirit and culture. Work is intense rather than long hours, weekends are work free. Growth of the business means lots of opportunity to step up.
    I've haven't seen a client role I'd want in preference to my consulting role, so it suggests I'm in the right place.

Cons

Working full time on client sites we're expected to deliver and there is nowhere to hide or coast. Working away from home is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

As our projects get bigger, make sure we keep the entrepreneurial feel of the project teams and the business. Make sure that the people think business first before their sector.

"Rewarding, fun and challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities to grow personally and to grow a large part of the business in an environment where I feel supported to succeed. Plus great clients and a great team, many have become strong personal friends.

Cons

The fast growth brings strains at times and we work hard to keep the quality really high and the environment fun. So it's not an easy job.

Advice to Management

Focus on the development of the management skills of the team, as the improvements in recent years have been positive. All of the people from other professional firms who join Newton have brought a lot of value and there is plenty still to learn to ensure we are remain a great company to work for with a great culture.

"An exciting challenge with brilliant people"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

#1 - the people - everyone here is so smart and driven, and they're also amazing to have a laugh with
    #2 - the culture - there's a huge desire to grow, both personally and as a whole
    #3 - the variety - the range of sectors and roles is awesome

Cons

The lifestyle can get a little tough, having to be away from home during the week. This gets better as you get more senior, and to be honest I've never had to work on the week - I've been there 3 years now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture and keep recruiting amazing people!

5. "A fantastic journey"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people and clients.
    People - There are not many companies where you can genuinely be inspired by and learn from all your colleagues. A huge amount of effort goes into selecting and developing the best people. Programme structures and financial incentivisation deliberately designed to create a sense of team work and access to support should this be required. Tangible and impressive culture.
    Client work - The scale of work Clients ask us to support them with grows in magnitude and importance every year. Having the opportunity to make massive change across all our sectors.

Cons

As expected lifestyle is more challenging in consulting roles. As you progress and become more senior this becomes more manageable. Change is constant - as the business grows it needs to re-invent part of itself every 18 months - not necessarily for everyone

Advice to Management

Keeping true to those bits which have made us successful to date - client needs first, contingent fee model, relentless focus on recruiting and developing the best people. Continually challenging and re-inventing those bits which need to change as we grow

"Great people, great fun but hard travelling"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, a very smart and ambitious group who work hard but have great fun doing so. Interesting and varied work that stretches you with great additional perks such as a brand new BMW and various work trips and events.

Cons

Work is site based so being away from loved ones is difficult at times. Senior roles are becoming more and more focused on managing large teams which is fantastic for personal development but loses some of the entrepreneurial vibe of the business.

"Great career choice"

Pros

Extremely bright, young and energetic team
    No limit to personal growth
    Very credible list of clients
    Strong culture and sense of belonging

Cons

Lifestyle out of a suitcase in hotels

"suitable for some"

Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High level of responsibility
    Focus on Development - though often to encourage a homogenous 'ideal' consultant
    Mostly smart and nice colleagues
    a lot of time/ effort spent on parties and social events
    Nice company car, though it forms a significant part of compensation package

Cons

Travel - worse than most/all other jobs. There is no functional head office so you'll almost always be travelling monday to friday and probably midweek too
    Development and support is inconsistent throughout company
    "cult-like" culture - works for some employees but not all
    environment often creates unnecessary pressure/judgement/scrutiny
    Not a well-known company

"Bit of a waste of time"

Pros

Salary...the salary is good and they do recruit bright people

Cons

Arrogant culture, there is a very arrogant culture, moulding grads directly from university who have no life or business experience

Advice to Management

Sort your recruiting process out

"Operational Consultant"

Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and smart people to work with. Management is very approachable and have good relations with the employee. Overall good.

Cons

Salary is not what is advertised on the website as a big chunk of it taken out as the car allowance in the first year. Long working hour. Can be tiring.

Advice to Management

It would help to not expect so much participation from the consultants in the company socials. There are usually very tired after long day at work.

"Good first job, but structural issues need resolving"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The work can be very rewarding, especially if you're in the public sector practice
    - Great way for numbers-y engineers to do people-focussed, creative work without losing the analytical approach
    - Colleagues are all hyper-intelligent, making it an exciting and innovative group of people
    - Senior management appreciates that it's a crappy lifestyle and so does what it can to make this more bearable - subsidised weekends away, epic Christmas and summer parties etc.
    - Steep learning curve, so very quick development
    - Potential for very fast progression
    - Excellent exposure to multiple industries
    - Skill set is very transferable

Cons

- The lifestyle of living out of a suitcase Monday - Friday means that work/life balance is near non-existent
    - Social scene is very alcohol heavy and there is a danger of too much emphasis on partying
    - Many of the people who are now at lead/principal level, who are leading projects with fairly large teams, have progressed up through the ranks since joining as graduates, but have never received any training on how to manage people. The Newton mindset and traditional mould of consultant gets stuff done but is hopeless at the softer side of things, and atrocious management has led to (or at least expedited) a number of departures
    - Diversity is a big issue. Almost exclusively white, with over-representation of men even relative to the target subject groups (traditionally engineering and hard sciences)
    - Pension provision is woeful

Advice to Management

Give your staff proper training on how to be managers and don't assume that just because they talk the talk, they walk the walk. The golden boys aren't always shiny.