Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Newton Europe Reviews

Updated 14 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 32 reviews)

• A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours (in 7 reviews)

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

There is a big variety of tasks you can do at Newton. The colleagues are generally very helpful and provide an inspiring environment. It is easy to get a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

The big focus on efficiency improvement can be a bit uninspiring in the long term. However this should be considered before applying. Also, Newton is not a household name yet which is why other companies might be a better option to start the career at.

Advice to Management

The management should introduce the provision of free breakfast at the offices. It is vital for the working climate that the employees can eat together. Furthermore this may boost productivity since employees arrive at wrk earlier.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Operations Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Great company with a great atmosphere. Very proud to say I have worked for such an outstanding company.

Cons

Intense working hours, work away from home, feedback can be intense and cutting and sometimes hard to take.

"Joining Newton with 12 years previous experience"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chichester, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Chichester, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The personal development opportunities are exceptional for graduates and experienced hires. I joined with 12 years of experience within a high volume manufacturing company. After getting to grips with Newton methodologies and the business in general, I was able to combine my new found knowledge with previous capabilities and know how to accelerate on to Associate Director in just over 5 years.

Cons

Managing your work life balance takes effort. Being mobile means that you are away from home and you need to plan your home life more rigorously than in other jobs

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on refining Newton as we grow, the support to people delivering projects, development opportunities and most importantly the culture are all things worth protecting as we expand

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great culture of personal development, fun people to work with, really seeing change within an organisation and positive social impact with all the work within the public sector

Cons

You are away from home for most of the week which can get you down. There is more of a democratic than meritocratic culture around promotions and progression.

Advice to Management

Evaluate graduate hires on their experience/skills when they start, as there can be significant variation, rather than trying to get everyone to fit to a predetermined curve.

"Working hard and playing hard is great but the cons can easily start to outweigh the pros as you get more run down"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work hard - you get pushed to your max and therefore you learn and develop very quickly, you get a lot of exposure early on

play hard - the parties are awesome, your colleagues become amazing friends

Cons

the work hard play hard culture becomes the biggest con and can start to wear you down

work hard - the constant high expectations of the people around you can become quite stressful, I regularly saw people around me being 'punished' for having an 'off day'

play hard - sometimes when you just want a quiet night, it feels like you are expected to 'perform' on a big team night out - this isn't for everyone.

both the above mean you are very regularly exhausted by the time the weekend comes around. the company does stick to the 'no work at weekends policy' which is great - but your family and/or social life will still suffer if you have to spend most the weekend catching up on sleep!

Advice to Management

hold onto the great culture but don't take it too far. The extreme work hard play hard culture is great for graduates, but the work life balance gets tiring for experienced hires that have more personal commitments at weekends

"senior consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England

Pros

very good company to work at

Cons

the work is really stressful

Advice to Management

keep doing well

"The ultimate personal development experience"

Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being part of a rapidly growing consultancy is an amazing experience - over the past few years I have learnt a huge amount from the clients I have worked with as well as Newton's own evolution. I have always being positively stretched in the roles I have been asked to take on, challenged hard and supported as needed. Combining that with the variety of clients I have worked with across a whole range of sectors means I struggle to imagine another career where I could have developed as quickly.

Cons

Being part of Newton is addictive meaning you tend to fill more of your life with it! Many of my best 'extra-curricular' experiences have been shared with Newton people, to the extent that a whole bunch of them came to my wedding! However it is not for the feint hearted - to get the most out of it you need to really throw yourself into it and clearly this won't be suitable for everybody.

Advice to Management

So far it has been an exciting and engaging experience! As long as Newton keep aiming to have fun and be different I'm sure the next few years will be more of the same.

"Amazing culture and non-hierarchical structure"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

If you want to work somewhere that actively encourages its staff to be engaged, contribute and be part of something really exciting then this is it. Everyone is really friendly and supportive, I've not met a single person that I haven't liked, everyone is approachable and down to earth throughout the entire company including the board of directors. The culture is great and the company works hard to keep everyone engaged, involved and rewarded.

Cons

It can be hard work and long hours with a lot of travel. But we do have a total ban on weekend work so don't get sucked into work at weekends.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture, development opportunities and training does not suffer as we continue to grow.

"Fantastic people who challenge and support you in equal measure"

Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are the standard reasons to work in a consultancy, such as the variety of work, the opportunity to learn quickly and the often good remuneration packages, but Newton has been able to offer me much more than this. Having experience first hand how different other consultancies are, I can safely say that the culture at Newton, to actually deliver results as well as looking out for those you work with, is truly unique! I'm constantly reminded about how good the people are around me and that I need to continue to improve just to keep pace.

Cons

Being exposed in your role is a risk if you aren't open to asking for support. This allows people to develop very quickly if managed in the right way, but can be extremely tough to get through if you take on too much and don't look for support. The business works hard to give people a stretching enough role, whilst providing quality development support, but some people do slip through the net.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the culture as it's the fantastic people that make the business what it is.

"Always look out for yourself! No-one else will"

Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Ops Consultant in London, England

Pros

Very fast initial growth, pay is good, you will quickly become confident speaking to people at all different levels within an organisation, they were keen to stress that junior employees should not work at weekends, many people were able to get unpaid leave if they asked for it, top level of management are well liked and respected by everyone.

Cons

Employee development very dependent on projects and individual (often low-seniority) colleagues, allowing employees to get a relatively long way into their career without becoming better at the things they needed to do to be promoted. Many things are said to employees that aren't true in practice (e.g. importance of manufacturing to the business is actually VERY low, but majority of employees want to do those projects). Company sponsored activities to deal with difficult consulting lifestyle are heavily alcohol fuelled, which can lose its fun over time.