Newton Europe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Newton Europe Reviews

Updated 20 November 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 33 reviews)

• Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week (in 8 reviews)

"Great career choice"

Pros

Extremely bright, young and energetic team
    No limit to personal growth
    Very credible list of clients
    Strong culture and sense of belonging

Cons

Lifestyle out of a suitcase in hotels

"Operational Consultant"

Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Operational Improvement Consultant in London, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and smart people to work with. Management is very approachable and have good relations with the employee. Overall good.

Cons

Salary is not what is advertised on the website as a big chunk of it taken out as the car allowance in the first year. Long working hour. Can be tiring.

Advice to Management

It would help to not expect so much participation from the consultants in the company socials. There are usually very tired after long day at work.

"Good first job, but structural issues need resolving"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The work can be very rewarding, especially if you're in the public sector practice
    - Great way for numbers-y engineers to do people-focussed, creative work without losing the analytical approach
    - Colleagues are all hyper-intelligent, making it an exciting and innovative group of people
    - Senior management appreciates that it's a crappy lifestyle and so does what it can to make this more bearable - subsidised weekends away, epic Christmas and summer parties etc.
    - Steep learning curve, so very quick development
    - Potential for very fast progression
    - Excellent exposure to multiple industries
    - Skill set is very transferable

Cons

- The lifestyle of living out of a suitcase Monday - Friday means that work/life balance is near non-existent
    - Social scene is very alcohol heavy and there is a danger of too much emphasis on partying
    - Many of the people who are now at lead/principal level, who are leading projects with fairly large teams, have progressed up through the ranks since joining as graduates, but have never received any training on how to manage people. The Newton mindset and traditional mould of consultant gets stuff done but is hopeless at the softer side of things, and atrocious management has led to (or at least expedited) a number of departures
    - Diversity is a big issue. Almost exclusively white, with over-representation of men even relative to the target subject groups (traditionally engineering and hard sciences)
    - Pension provision is woeful

Advice to Management

Give your staff proper training on how to be managers and don't assume that just because they talk the talk, they walk the walk. The golden boys aren't always shiny.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

There is a big variety of tasks you can do at Newton. The colleagues are generally very helpful and provide an inspiring environment. It is easy to get a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

The big focus on efficiency improvement can be a bit uninspiring in the long term. However this should be considered before applying. Also, Newton is not a household name yet which is why other companies might be a better option to start the career at.

Advice to Management

The management should introduce the provision of free breakfast at the offices. It is vital for the working climate that the employees can eat together. Furthermore this may boost productivity since employees arrive at wrk earlier.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Operations Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Great company with a great atmosphere. Very proud to say I have worked for such an outstanding company.

Cons

Intense working hours, work away from home, feedback can be intense and cutting and sometimes hard to take.

"Joining Newton with 12 years previous experience"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Chichester, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Chichester, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The personal development opportunities are exceptional for graduates and experienced hires. I joined with 12 years of experience within a high volume manufacturing company. After getting to grips with Newton methodologies and the business in general, I was able to combine my new found knowledge with previous capabilities and know how to accelerate on to Associate Director in just over 5 years.

Cons

Managing your work life balance takes effort. Being mobile means that you are away from home and you need to plan your home life more rigorously than in other jobs

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on refining Newton as we grow, the support to people delivering projects, development opportunities and most importantly the culture are all things worth protecting as we expand

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great culture of personal development, fun people to work with, really seeing change within an organisation and positive social impact with all the work within the public sector

Cons

You are away from home for most of the week which can get you down. There is more of a democratic than meritocratic culture around promotions and progression.

Advice to Management

Evaluate graduate hires on their experience/skills when they start, as there can be significant variation, rather than trying to get everyone to fit to a predetermined curve.

"Working hard and playing hard is great but the cons can easily start to outweigh the pros as you get more run down"

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work hard - you get pushed to your max and therefore you learn and develop very quickly, you get a lot of exposure early on

play hard - the parties are awesome, your colleagues become amazing friends

Cons

the work hard play hard culture becomes the biggest con and can start to wear you down

work hard - the constant high expectations of the people around you can become quite stressful, I regularly saw people around me being 'punished' for having an 'off day'

play hard - sometimes when you just want a quiet night, it feels like you are expected to 'perform' on a big team night out - this isn't for everyone.

both the above mean you are very regularly exhausted by the time the weekend comes around. the company does stick to the 'no work at weekends policy' which is great - but your family and/or social life will still suffer if you have to spend most the weekend catching up on sleep!

Advice to Management

hold onto the great culture but don't take it too far. The extreme work hard play hard culture is great for graduates, but the work life balance gets tiring for experienced hires that have more personal commitments at weekends

"senior consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England

Pros

very good company to work at

Cons

the work is really stressful

Advice to Management

keep doing well

"The ultimate personal development experience"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being part of a rapidly growing consultancy is an amazing experience - over the past few years I have learnt a huge amount from the clients I have worked with as well as Newton's own evolution. I have always being positively stretched in the roles I have been asked to take on, challenged hard and supported as needed. Combining that with the variety of clients I have worked with across a whole range of sectors means I struggle to imagine another career where I could have developed as quickly.

Cons

Being part of Newton is addictive meaning you tend to fill more of your life with it! Many of my best 'extra-curricular' experiences have been shared with Newton people, to the extent that a whole bunch of them came to my wedding! However it is not for the feint hearted - to get the most out of it you need to really throw yourself into it and clearly this won't be suitable for everybody.

Advice to Management

So far it has been an exciting and engaging experience! As long as Newton keep aiming to have fun and be different I'm sure the next few years will be more of the same.