Newton Europe Senior Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Senior Consultant

4.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Huge focus on personal development, with excellent training opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working away from home during the week; can be quite tough with longer hours when projects get busy (in 32 reviews)

• A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company & culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Challenging environment with highly talented, supportive colleagues. Great development opportunities!

Cons

Lots of travel, away from home 5 days a week

2. "Incredible Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge amount of responsibility from an early stage, real focus on personal development. Working on incredibly exciting and meaningful projects, surrounded by fun and supportive team

Cons

Lifestyle can be difficult but such is the nature of consulting. Newton do everything they can to support you and make it fun.

Advice to Management

Very flat structure so any advice to management can be given directly to them. They want to improve the company as much as anybody

"Great people, great fun but hard travelling"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, a very smart and ambitious group who work hard but have great fun doing so. Interesting and varied work that stretches you with great additional perks such as a brand new BMW and various work trips and events.

Cons

Work is site based so being away from loved ones is difficult at times. Senior roles are becoming more and more focused on managing large teams which is fantastic for personal development but loses some of the entrepreneurial vibe of the business.

"Good first job, but structural issues need resolving"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The work can be very rewarding, especially if you're in the public sector practice
    - Great way for numbers-y engineers to do people-focussed, creative work without losing the analytical approach
    - Colleagues are all hyper-intelligent, making it an exciting and innovative group of people
    - Senior management appreciates that it's a crappy lifestyle and so does what it can to make this more bearable - subsidised weekends away, epic Christmas and summer parties etc.
    - Steep learning curve, so very quick development
    - Potential for very fast progression
    - Excellent exposure to multiple industries
    - Skill set is very transferable

Cons

- The lifestyle of living out of a suitcase Monday - Friday means that work/life balance is near non-existent
    - Social scene is very alcohol heavy and there is a danger of too much emphasis on partying
    - Many of the people who are now at lead/principal level, who are leading projects with fairly large teams, have progressed up through the ranks since joining as graduates, but have never received any training on how to manage people. The Newton mindset and traditional mould of consultant gets stuff done but is hopeless at the softer side of things, and atrocious management has led to (or at least expedited) a number of departures
    - Diversity is a big issue. Almost exclusively white, with over-representation of men even relative to the target subject groups (traditionally engineering and hard sciences)
    - Pension provision is woeful

Advice to Management

Give your staff proper training on how to be managers and don't assume that just because they talk the talk, they walk the walk. The golden boys aren't always shiny.

"senior consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England

Pros

very good company to work at

Cons

the work is really stressful

Advice to Management

keep doing well

7. "Incredible company, amazing culture and early exposure to senior clients"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for several good companies (engineering consultancy mainly) and I can say that without question this company has the best culture around. You are working with a bunch of down to earth, friendly, outgoing people that care about you and support your development. You get ownership of workstreams and projects early and are provided with countless opportunities to interact with client senior teams.

Cons

As we work for clients all round the country; you will end up working all round the country. Sometimes you will be near home which is great, but at other times you will be somewhere far away and need to live in hotels. Although you get used to it the time away limits you being able to have consistent mid week activities (meet friends; join clubs etc). Also if you have a partner it can be a challenge for them.

8. "Great company to work for. Interesting, challenging work. Amazing people. Top benefits."

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a real dedication in the company to delivering genuine results for our clients, which means rolling sleeves up and working across organisations at all levels. It's hard work and sometimes long hours during the week but it's a strict company policy to be home by 6pm on Friday and weekends are your own.

The work is challenging and always interesting; I've never been bored for a minute in the year that I've been here. I find it really refreshing that everyone you work with at Newton is bright, motivated, down to earth and fun to be around.

As a company Newton go the extra mile to look after you. The salary & package are very competitive but it's all of the other bits that make the difference, be it subsidised ski trips (including contributions for partners), activity weekends (sailing, surfing, battlefield tours...) or the fortnightly review sessions were the whole company gets together on a Thursday night.

Cons

The hours can be long and I've clocked up around 24K miles on the road in a year (albeit in a new BMW 1-series company car). The flipside of the incredible development opportunities you get is that you are constantly out of your comfort zone, and getting the balance right between developing skills and keeping stress levels manageable can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Newton is growing rapidly and the challenge for management, as it has always been, is going to be keeping the energetic, dynamic culture alive through this process.

9. "Exciting challenging work, great development opportunities and amazing culture"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with talented people on a variety of projects. A lot of time is invested in developing you as an individual and you can progress at your own pace and their are lots of opportunities to challenge yourself and grow. It feels like you really make a difference to clients on the projects we work on unlike some other consultancies.

Cons

A lot of travel and at times need to put in some long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support available to people at all levels of the company and keep working to make sure we maintain our culture as we grow.

10. "Great career progression, fantastic colleagues, hard/satisfying work in 10 hour days, lots of driving"

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best thing about Newton is the culture and most of all the colleagues you work with. People at Newton organise weekends and trips away many times during the year (partly or sometimes totally sponsored by the company), but if everyone didn't like hanging out with the people they worked with, the trips wouldn't have nearly the attendance rates they do.
    Incredible career progression, straight off induction you're put in front of a client. Whether that be a clinician in a hospital, a manager in a food processing factory, a financial director at a defence engineering company. You're constantly driven to push yourself out of your comfort zone, which some people love, some people hate.

Cons

Lots of driving - but you do get a great car to do it in if that's what floats your boat
    Lots of nights away from home - if (like me) you pay London rent, say goodbye to that money as you will spend a maximum of 12 nights a month there. I spend nearer 6.
    Hard, hard work at times. Hours are never ridiculously bad, considering the pay, but they can occasionally stretch. Generally I work 10 hour days (1/2 day on Friday to be back at home by 6pm - company rule) and then do 1-2 hours work in an evening 1-2 times/week.

Advice to Management

Having spoken to friends about their varied careers, I haven't heard anyone talk like I do about the management at their company. Although they will always be your manager, I've always felt they genuinely care about my well-being and professional development. It's one of the really great things about Newton.