Newton Europe Employee Reviews about "away from home"

Updated 19 Jan 2021

Found 50 of over 179 reviews

4.2
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
  • "Massive focus on personal development(in 20 reviews)

• "Career progression and personal development are highly regarded(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working away from home during the week(in 50 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "away from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for

4 Jan 2021 - Graduate Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of responsibility early on

Cons

Working away from home during the week

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Astounding company - quite simply the best in the world at what it does

25 Oct 2020 - Confidential in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible quality people who are extremely bright, passionate, hard-working with great personal values Diverse set of sectors provides a rich canvas to build your career. Ability to move if desired between areas as diverse as Defence and Retail means work never needs to get repetitive or stagnant. Great feedback culture to help people build their careers quickly. Has an insanely high bar for entry which means you get to work with some of the most talented people in consulting.

Cons

It isn't for everybody - long days and time away from home can be energising for some and draining for others. Very much a mantra of keep pushing and progressing or it's probably not the right place to thrive - it's hard to be indifferent inside the business. There has been a rigid Newton Way which it beginning to change - the company is opening it's mind to different ways of thinking and diversity in all its forms. It's early days but the benefits are already starting to be felt.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee

Great projects - culture needs a lot of work

19 Jan 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very stringent recruitment process means that the company is full of very intelligent, bright, friendly people. - The work is really interesting - you will get the chance to work with a wide variety of different people in different industries and depending on where you are scheduled the work you are doing can have an immediate impact on current affairs which is fantastic (e.g. Covid response, working in the NHS etc.) - Good renumeration and rapid career progression (expect to be managing people within 18months/2years from joining as a grad) - Strong L&D programme with dedicated training courses as you are promoted

Cons

- The lack of diversity is a problem (male/female divide is getting smaller but there's still a lack of senior women in the business). Newton talk about this a lot (and run annual surveys) but there doesn't appear to be any tangible efforts made to change any of the working practices which might have an impact on diversity e.g. implementing more flexible working to allow parents with majority child care to see a future in the business. You can count on one hand the number of women with children working at Newton...there is also a problem with diversity of thought and a reluctance to let go of the 'traditional Newton way'. Experienced professionals joining Newton (who don't go through the induction programme) are expected to go back to the beginning and work as a graduate to prove themselves before they are promoted into the job they are hired for. This has led to a high attrition rate amongst experienced hires. - Huge problem with burnout, stress and general poor mental wellbeing. Newton do provide a lot of reactive support (supportive of extended periods of time off, remote GP service, free counselling etc) but often do not recognise/acknowledge that the excessive pressure people are put under including working away from home in the week, culture of over working, feedback culture (often poorly managed) and big focus on alcohol and partying to 'let off steam' isn't the most positive working environment

4 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We agree that there has been a lot of talk around diversity within Newton, and these internal discussions have helped us create a set of targets, which along with full-time resource dedicated to EDI, we will use to really drive the change required. At the heart of EDI is inclusion, and we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging and feel like they can be themselves at Newton, which is a key measure of our annual employee research. We’re pleased to hear that found the L&D and the career progression a positive experience at Newton. Our induction training includes all levels, including experienced hires who join Newton, so that we all have a common understanding of our methodology and how we approach programmes together as a team. Described by one of our joiners as a mini MBA, the first year of Newton is about blending our methodology with your own skills and experience. We agree that in the past our attrition rate was high. 5 years ago only 25% of people stayed with Newton, but with our individualised induction programme, along with a support network and 1-2-1 coaching this is now at 90%. At Newton our people are our biggest asset and so we monitor both performance and wellbeing through our regular people discussions and our fortnightly people survey, to check how people are feeling and identify areas of concern. Review Nights are a way to get together with colleagues and have some fun, or just relax, before working on client challenges together the following day. Inclusion is important to us and so we offer activities that range between cooking classes, board games, or dance classes, as we want to offer something for everyone to enjoy. On wellbeing we are actively looking at ways to help our people to identify pressure points and proactively manage the wellbeing of themselves and their teams. This includes mental health first aid training and a regular focus on wellbeing as part of our Review Days. If you have any particular points that you would like to follow up on personally, please do not hesitate to contact hrshared@newtoneurope.com in confidence.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You would struggle to find a better first job

5 Oct 2020 - Lead Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After an initial, comprehensive induction, you are initially trusted to deliver valuable work for clients. The work is varied, interesting and fast paced. The people are incredibly able and smart individuals with a great amount of drive. Advice and direction is always available and continuously thrusted upon you at company conferences every two weeks.

Cons

Long hours, time away from home, stressful situations are quite frequent. Almost always worth it.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent Company but Travel is Difficult

11 Sep 2019 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Exciting, impactful projects - Exposure to senior clients - Working with smart driven people - so great social life and stimulating conversations - Working at pace to deliver change - Intense professional development - Rapid role and wage progression - Frequent off-site days to share experience and issues as well as encouraging a close-knit community - Very little to no weekend working - Empowered to make change within the company if you see a 'gap' - Lots of emphasis placed on company wellbeing via the fortnightly 'N-Gauge' survey which is regularly reviewed

Cons

- Frequent travel away from home - Strict performance culture - Impactful projects works both ways - satisfying to turn around, can be a slog - Myopic with respect to professional and technical gaps within the company (skills often only trained when they are needed) - Lots of emphasis placed on discretionary effort with little reward, meaning internal initiatives aren't as good as they can be and can't be driven to success due to the charitable nature of the work - Sometimes quite arrogant - client work can be dismissed even if it has genuine merit - Can overstate capability and experience when selling a project - Highly individualistic nature means onus is placed on individual to make changes to their circumstances (this is both a good and bad thing) - Much of the internal knowledge is home-grown. Not known how much this represents state of the art!

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Impactful, Inspirational, Tough, Rewarding

28 Jul 2020 - Principal Consultant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Newton's work is everything I hoped it would be: not your typical consulting, guaranteed to make a difference, very hard work but very worth it. I've worked in many companies before Newton and - whilst we definitely don't get it right every time - I've never worked in a company that tries harder and faster to improve. Don't kid yourself, this isn't a 9-5 and it is intense. In my mind it should be, you're well paid and on the hook for real, measurable improvement. Having been a consulting 'client' before, this can-do and high-energy attitude is what makes the difference. A role in consulting (anywhere) isn't likely to suit you if you need to be at home a lot or can't commit to the job, but it's worth it if you can make it work. Some of the more challenging reviews on here mention struggles with wellbeing, mental health and support from the business. I really feel for anyone that hasn't felt supported. Personally, I've never worked in a company with a better focus on health, well-being and employee engagement. Clearly this relies on the individuals involved, and we don't get it right every time, but don't be dissuaded. I've gone from an annual development review (if I was lucky), to feedback and development every week. This won't be right for everyone, but if you want to progress quickly I can't think of anything better.

Cons

Inevitably the travel away from home and the hours are the major downsides. Expect to be away from home from 6am on a Monday to 6pm on a Friday until you're more senior. This is important so we can be onsite with our clients - we can't do what we do from a head office or from home. That being said, with COVID we're looking at this and how we can learn from having to work from home. We're also still definitely working on our diversity and inclusion - but making huge strides. Coming from engineering companies our gender balance is SO much better, but we have a way to go to be as diverse as we can be. There's lots of focus on this, a lot of very passionate people, and a real honesty about the problem and solutions.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, there has clearly been a great deal of consideration and honesty put in which we really appreciate. Your views are really important to us as we recognise that working away from home on challenging projects can be demanding, so we look for ongoing feedback on our employees’ health and wellbeing through regular people reviews, our fortnightly employee survey and of course Glassdoor. We aren’t just looking at scores, we discuss ways we can improve, or capitalise on positive areas, share good practice and take real action off the back of the feedback. We want all of our people to feel that they have the right balance of support and challenge to grow to be the best that they can be. We agree with you that Newton has a way to go to be as diverse as we can be. We want to be a truly inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome, included and can thrive. From a recruitment perspective, we’ve been working hard to attract a more diverse group of people to Newton, but we know this alone won’t solve the problem. That’s why as a company and as individuals we’re learning how our actions play their part in creating an inclusive culture, and we’re having some very open conversations about this across our company. Newton is different from other consultancies and we are proud to say so. The work that we do, how we do it and who does it are all deliberately different to what you would find elsewhere, so we are pleased that you have recognised that aspect of Newton as well! If there are any particular points that you would like to follow up on personally, please do not hesitate to contact hrshared@newtoneurope.com in confidence.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

great grad job

5 Jan 2021 - Operations Consultant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

speedy development and career progression

Cons

living away from home during the week

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Have a serious think about whether this is the right place for you

3 Jul 2020 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some genuinely great people that work there, who are intelligent, dedicated, and caring. If it works out for you, it can be fun, rewarding and challenging.

Cons

If you have a browse of these reviews you'll see that there are a bunch of 4/5 star ones, saying how great the company is for development, career progression etc, with the only down side being the long hours and being away during the week. Then there a bunch of reviews saying that the company has a toxic culture, poor managers and causes people to have breakdowns, with no regard for mental wellbeing. Chances are you'll be in the first category, but be prepared for a difficult time if you're in the latter. Which one you fall in depends significantly on how well you fit with the company. The company puts such an emphasis on 'fit', that it is often taken to mean how much like your manager are you. The result is a company of very similar people, that is overwhelmingly white and male, and lacks diversity. As someone from a minority background it can be an extremely uncomfortable place, made all the worse by the constant pressure to conform and be like everyone around you. The business has a high turnover, and disproportionately forces out people from minorities. However, it is an extremely intense environment and stressful regardless, so be prepared for this either way. This is amplified by staying away from home Monday to Friday with colleagues to the extent that even time outside of work is scrutinised and given feedback on. This feedback culture can go too far, and in many cases people feel like they can be set up to fail, rather than supported to do the job well. I had experiences where right before doing a task my weaknesses were repeated back at me, under the guise of making me aware as to do better next time, but in reality just reinforced the negativity and instilled anxiety. The business is also pretty out of touch - during my time there it was being discussed whether to use a made up 'ethnic' name on their recruitment literature to appear more diverse. Fortunately, this did not go ahead, but the fact it was even considered says enough. The company more recently says it has recognised its issue with diversity to an extent, but when the business is built around churning out consultants to the same mould, and performance managing out the ones that don't fit, it is never going to be a genuinely inclusive place. The company has been described as a cult, and to be honest it can have that feel. From the book that you get called 'Being Newton' to the fact that you're drilled to believe you're the best and no one else can do what you can. I was even told by a manager on leaving to expect people in my next company to not be as smart as they are here. Most importantly, the company has a bad track record of seriously affecting people's mental health. It needs to learn that even if some people are not performing in the way they want them to, it has a duty of care to not destroy their confidence, insult their ability, and then let them go. This has happened on numerous occasions, and in my case could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a few genuinely caring colleagues. The fact another review mentions rumours of NDAs after poor company behaviour, and this hasn't been directly denied by the company implies it is true. It will be interesting to see what they respond to this one, if at all. The point of this review is to give an accurate account of an experience at Newton so you can form a balanced opinion, as the marketing during the recruitment process glorifies the work and obviously only shows everything in a positive light. In my opinion, If you have the skills to succeed at Newton, you would also be successful at a number of other places, and probably be a whole lot happier. If you have the slightest of doubts, save yourself the trouble, and more importantly your mental health, and look elsewhere.

30 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear that you felt this uncomfortable in Newton and that we weren’t able to resolve this while you were with us. Newton’s culture of fun and friendship combined with exceptional performance is special, but we acknowledge it doesn’t suit everyone. We try to create an inclusive environment for everyone and do recognise that inclusion requires ongoing effort from all of us at Newton. From a recruitment perspective, we’ve been working hard to attract a more diverse group of people to Newton, including scrutinising our processes from beginning to end to challenge and remove opportunities for unconscious bias or to recruit ‘what we know’, but we’re aware that a focus on recruitment alone is only part of the picture. As a company and as individuals we’re learning all the time about how our actions play their part, and we’re having a very live conversation about this across our company, facilitated by our internal EDI group and championed by our leaders, so we genuinely welcome the feedback. We do not want our company to look, or be, predominantly white and male. Our graduate intake this year has been 40% women. We’ve spent the last month hearing more from colleagues in the LGBTQ+ community and discussing together the importance of creating a safe space for everyone to feel able to be themselves. We continue to face into the challenge of becoming a more ethnically diverse workforce, and would like to get there faster. Our feedback culture is meant to be helpful, reciprocal, and to drive quick progression so that we can keep developing. We encourage conversations between line managers and their teams, and development managers and their developees about how feedback can and should be shared with each person. Everyone has preferences in how they receive feedback on their development areas, some wanting regular reminders while others prefer one chat and then to reflect for themselves. From your experience it sounds as though there were times when the way feedback was delivered to you wasn’t constructive. We do work in intense situations due, in part, to the results guarantee we give to our clients with the focus on delivering measurable results, so we know our teams deal with a lot of pressure. We monitor general wellbeing across the company every fortnight through our employee survey and, while some people thrive in this environment and find the support we offer effective, it doesn’t work for everyone and, here again, we’re always looking for ways to improve. Ensuring everyone has a development manager, providing company review days once a fortnight, and creating forums for colleagues to support each other are some of the ways we offer safe space and support. We’ve also been analysing line management practices across Newton so we can identify areas to support and further develop managers, as we know that these relationships are important to both the delivery of our projects and the wellbeing of our people. Additionally, we’re currently trialling some training in mental health first aid so that we’re better able to spot the signs of where somebody may be feeling so overwhelmed that it’s impacting their mental health. We see this as a last resort, as our peer networks, development managers, line managers, HR support and other forums should enable us to have much earlier conversations about and with anyone who needs some extra help or, importantly, where we need to approach a situation differently. As a final point, where behaviour is deemed unacceptable or poor we will always deal with it by following the appropriate HR procedures. We do understand that Newton is a stretching environment. Our value of loving our people is of the utmost importance to us, so if you have any more feedback about your experience that you’d like to share we’d welcome an open conversation. Please get in touch with us at hrshared@newtoneurope.com.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

As good as it says on the tin

20 Nov 2019 - Senior Business Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Newton is a unique company. It employs fantastically bright, hard working, personable and brilliant people. It supports its employees like no one else, is incredibly reasonable, pragmatic, supportive and generous. I have had the incredible pleasure of 9 fabulous years working there and have made many firends for life, been treated to experiences and opportunities I'd have never had the chance elsewhere and learnt and done things I never though I would!

Cons

The only downside of working at Newton is the fact you have to be away from home quite a lot. This is only really a downside if you don't like being away from home and for me, in my early 20s, I enjoyed it too. Yes it's hard work, and emotionaly draining, but that's worth it when the work you're doing is value adding, has a clear purpose, is making a difference to the businesses and people you're wokring with and you can see the tangible and real improvemets hitting the bottom line of your clients.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent people to work with; there is a real focus on development.

16 Jan 2020 - Business Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging, varied work that is delivered alongside client teams. There is a real focus on development and it is very meritocratic.

Cons

Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot.

3 people found this review helpful