Newton Europe Employee Reviews about "away from home"

Updated 3 Jul 2020

3.8
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
Cons
  • "Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot(in 44 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "away from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Excellent people to work with; there is a real focus on development."

Former Employee - Business Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, varied work that is delivered alongside client teams. There is a real focus on development and it is very meritocratic.

Cons

Being on client site 9 days in a fortnight means you are away from home a lot.

"Have a serious think about whether this is the right place for you"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely great people that work there, who are intelligent, dedicated, and caring. If it works out for you, it can be fun, rewarding and challenging.

Cons

If you have a browse of these reviews you'll see that there are a bunch of 4/5 star ones, saying how great the company is for development, career progression etc, with the only down side being the long hours and being away during the week. Then there a bunch of reviews saying that the company has a toxic culture, poor managers and causes people to have breakdowns, with no regard for mental wellbeing. Chances are you'll be in the first category, but be prepared for a difficult time if you're in the latter. Which one you fall in depends significantly on how well you fit with the company. The company puts such an emphasis on 'fit', that it is often taken to mean how much like your manager are you. The result is a company of very similar people, that is overwhelmingly white and male, and lacks diversity. As someone from a minority background it can be an extremely uncomfortable place, made all the worse by the constant pressure to conform and be like everyone around you. The business has a high turnover, and disproportionately forces out people from minorities. However, it is an extremely intense environment and stressful regardless, so be prepared for this either way. This is amplified by staying away from home Monday to Friday with colleagues to the extent that even time outside of work is scrutinised and given feedback on. This feedback culture can go too far, and in many cases people feel like they can be set up to fail, rather than supported to do the job well. I had experiences where right before doing a task my weaknesses were repeated back at me, under the guise of making me aware as to do better next time, but in reality just reinforced the negativity and instilled anxiety. The business is also pretty out of touch - during my time there it was being discussed whether to use a made up 'ethnic' name on their recruitment literature to appear more diverse. Fortunately, this did not go ahead, but the fact it was even considered says enough. The company more recently says it has recognised its issue with diversity to an extent, but when the business is built around churning out consultants to the same mould, and performance managing out the ones that don't fit, it is never going to be a genuinely inclusive place. The company has been described as a cult, and to be honest it can have that feel. From the book that you get called 'Being Newton' to the fact that you're drilled to believe you're the best and no one else can do what you can. I was even told by a manager on leaving to expect people in my next company to not be as smart as they are here. Most importantly, the company has a bad track record of seriously affecting people's mental health. It needs to learn that even if some people are not performing in the way they want them to, it has a duty of care to not destroy their confidence, insult their ability, and then let them go. This has happened on numerous occasions, and in my case could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a few genuinely caring colleagues. The fact another review mentions rumours of NDAs after poor company behaviour, and this hasn't been directly denied by the company implies it is true. It will be interesting to see what they respond to this one, if at all. The point of this review is to give an accurate account of an experience at Newton so you can form a balanced opinion, as the marketing during the recruitment process glorifies the work and obviously only shows everything in a positive light. In my opinion, If you have the skills to succeed at Newton, you would also be successful at a number of other places, and probably be a whole lot happier. If you have the slightest of doubts, save yourself the trouble, and more importantly your mental health, and look elsewhere.

Continue reading

"Fast paced, learn huge amounts quickly - poor management"

Former Employee - Operations Consultant

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steep learning curve with great opportunities for responsibility. Surrounded by very capable and ambitious young colleagues can make the fast paced lifestyle stressful, but also keeps it fun. Always opportunities and support to put in extra work to run initiatives, training, charity work, or to even change the way the company is run.

Cons

Away from home 5 days a week. Managers have very little experience, particularly struggling with handling team wellbeing. Mental health is not managed well. Many rumours of Non-Disclosure Agreements being signed to protect company reputation after poor company behaviour.

Newton Europe Response

March 2, 2020Head of Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback. Whilst Newton is a faced paced environment and we encourage our people to stretch themselves, we also pay a lot of attention to the wellbeing of our people. Wellbeing issues cannot always be publicly discussed but when known we always step in to offer the right level of support for the individual whether this is through line manager, HR support or by offering counselling services via our confidential Employee Assistance Programme. We are also investing heavily in a number of Mental Health First Aid training courses over the next six months to ensure our staff are better equipped to manage mental health and wellbeing issues.

"Newton is an incredibly rewarding, stretching and fun experience"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing Work is impactful People are incredible You are stretched massively from the start

Cons

You have to live away from home monday to friday (weekends are absolutely no work allowed)

"As good as it says on the tin"

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Cambridge, England

I worked at Newton Europe full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Newton is a unique company. It employs fantastically bright, hard working, personable and brilliant people. It supports its employees like no one else, is incredibly reasonable, pragmatic, supportive and generous. I have had the incredible pleasure of 9 fabulous years working there and have made many firends for life, been treated to experiences and opportunities I'd have never had the chance elsewhere and learnt and done things I never though I would!

Cons

The only downside of working at Newton is the fact you have to be away from home quite a lot. This is only really a downside if you don't like being away from home and for me, in my early 20s, I enjoyed it too. Yes it's hard work, and emotionaly draining, but that's worth it when the work you're doing is value adding, has a clear purpose, is making a difference to the businesses and people you're wokring with and you can see the tangible and real improvemets hitting the bottom line of your clients.

Continue reading

"Good consultancy - consultancy lifestyle is tough though!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture. They make an effort to keep people happy away from home They really mean it when they say they'll get you home for 6pm on a Friday and no one works weekends

Cons

The travel - 5 days a week away from home wears you down There isn't an hours culture but be prepared for some long days

"Excellent Company but Travel is Difficult"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Exciting, impactful projects - Exposure to senior clients - Working with smart driven people - so great social life and stimulating conversations - Working at pace to deliver change - Intense professional development - Rapid role and wage progression - Frequent off-site days to share experience and issues as well as encouraging a close-knit community - Very little to no weekend working - Empowered to make change within the company if you see a 'gap' - Lots of emphasis placed on company wellbeing via the fortnightly 'N-Gauge' survey which is regularly reviewed

Cons

- Frequent travel away from home - Strict performance culture - Impactful projects works both ways - satisfying to turn around, can be a slog - Myopic with respect to professional and technical gaps within the company (skills often only trained when they are needed) - Lots of emphasis placed on discretionary effort with little reward, meaning internal initiatives aren't as good as they can be and can't be driven to success due to the charitable nature of the work - Sometimes quite arrogant - client work can be dismissed even if it has genuine merit - Can overstate capability and experience when selling a project - Highly individualistic nature means onus is placed on individual to make changes to their circumstances (this is both a good and bad thing) - Much of the internal knowledge is home-grown. Not known how much this represents state of the art!

8. "Great Fun"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team atmosphere on every project. Amazing focus on development. Always feel challenged and growing.

Cons

Being away from home during the week is probably the main con for most people.

9. "Operations Consultant"

4.0

I worked at Newton Europe full-time

Pros

Very dynamic and friendly environment

Cons

Long work hours, away from home mon-fri

"If you want responsibility, challenge, and a great culture, look no further!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get responsibility from day one. You'll be managing your own clients and delivering your own workstreams; there's no hiding behind a laptop or report-writing. It's a perfect balance of technical problem solving and working with people. The problems are real and the work is varied. You could spend the morning in an operating theatre, on a submarine, or on a factory floor, and the afternoon crunching numbers with senior stakeholders in the boardroom. You'll leave site at the end of the week knowing you've added value and having make a tangible difference. Excellent development opportunities. Feedback and development is fundamental to Newton culture, and everyone has your back to get you to reach your potential. There are no formal qualifications, but the hands-on experience you get at such an early point in your career will speak for itself. The social side and job perks are brilliant. There are six weekends away with the company each year, of which you can attend as many or as few as you wish. These include ski trips, activity sports, secret-location city breaks and Edinburgh Fringe, among others. Fortnightly Review Nights and Review Days mean you get to see colleagues from other projects frequently, who will inevitably become some of your closest friends.

Cons

The nature of the job means you're away from home a lot, and this won't suit everyone. However, many people find moving around the country and working with different teams/clients exciting. Workloads fluctuate so there'll be long hours on some weeks. You're guaranteed to be home by 6pm every Friday, and there's strictly no weekend work, so you can switch-off at the weekend even if it can be difficult to do so mid-week.

Found 44 reviews