Newton Europe Employee Reviews about "lifestyle"

Updated 23 Jan 2019

Found 16 of over 179 reviews

4.2
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
  • "Massive focus on personal development(in 20 reviews)

• "Career progression and personal development are highly regarded(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working away from home during the week(in 50 reviews)

• "Being away from home Monday-Friday, the travel and lifestyle doesn't suit everyone(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "lifestyle"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, interesting work, amazing people

23 Jan 2019 - Head Office Graduate Scheme in Kingston Bagpuize, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm in my second year at Newton, and I absolutely love it here. In brief, I think some of the biggest pros are: Amazing people - I've yet to meet anyone I couldn't get on with Fantastic personal and professional development Early responsibility Genuinely inspiring leadership Impactful work Great company culture Transparency of company-wide communication. I always feel like I know how we're doing and what the senior team's priorities are Feels like the organisation genuinely cares about everyone in it Never have to work weekends (more often than not, you'll actually be told off for it!) Everyone's opinion is genuinely valued Great pay - and everyone receives a share in the company profits I could genuinely go on indefinitely. I promise I'm not being paid to write this!

Cons

Because everyone's opinion is valued, it can sometimes take a bit longer to drive internal change (possible "too many cooks" issue). Social events can be a bit boozy, although as someone who doesn't drink I've not had any problems with feeling out of place etc. Although nobody works weekends, I appreciate that for consultants weekdays can be quite tough - so take a look at the lifestyle and make sure it's right for you. Not currently the most diverse company - but have made significant improvements in the last 2 years, and I'm confident that we're doing the right things to continue to improve.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good first job, but structural issues need resolving

9 Jan 2016 - Senior Consultant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The work can be very rewarding, especially if you're in the public sector practice - Great way for numbers-y engineers to do people-focussed, creative work without losing the analytical approach - Colleagues are all hyper-intelligent, making it an exciting and innovative group of people - Senior management appreciates that it's a crappy lifestyle and so does what it can to make this more bearable - subsidised weekends away, epic Christmas and summer parties etc. - Steep learning curve, so very quick development - Potential for very fast progression - Excellent exposure to multiple industries - Skill set is very transferable

Cons

- The lifestyle of living out of a suitcase Monday - Friday means that work/life balance is near non-existent - Social scene is very alcohol heavy and there is a danger of too much emphasis on partying - Many of the people who are now at lead/principal level, who are leading projects with fairly large teams, have progressed up through the ranks since joining as graduates, but have never received any training on how to manage people. The Newton mindset and traditional mould of consultant gets stuff done but is hopeless at the softer side of things, and atrocious management has led to (or at least expedited) a number of departures - Diversity is a big issue. Almost exclusively white, with over-representation of men even relative to the target subject groups (traditionally engineering and hard sciences) - Pension provision is woeful

9 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A fantastic journey

26 Feb 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people and clients. People - There are not many companies where you can genuinely be inspired by and learn from all your colleagues. A huge amount of effort goes into selecting and developing the best people. Programme structures and financial incentivisation deliberately designed to create a sense of team work and access to support should this be required. Tangible and impressive culture. Client work - The scale of work Clients ask us to support them with grows in magnitude and importance every year. Having the opportunity to make massive change across all our sectors.

Cons

As expected lifestyle is more challenging in consulting roles. As you progress and become more senior this becomes more manageable. Change is constant - as the business grows it needs to re-invent part of itself every 18 months - not necessarily for everyone

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Experience

24 Aug 2017 - Business Consultant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- great experience embedded with the clients - All colleagues are amazing, bright, intelligent, and nice - Company is transparent with their intentions for the business - You will develop quickly with feedback from peers, line manager, and a personal development manager

Cons

- Lifestyle isn't for everyone. You'll be gone Monday through Friday. But absolutely no work after 6 pm on Friday. They take that seriously. Unfortunately, that does mean late nights through the week. - Newton throws a good party, can get a bit wild at times - feedback is blunt. Sometimes you'll get conflicting feedback from multiple people. Learning to push back in a non-defensive constructive way is an important skill - your promotion will depend on the impression you give to the rest of the company. This means that the 95% that don't work with you have a large say in your growth

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Development Journey

21 Oct 2016 - Consultant in Bath, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Huge investment in personal development and the significant responsibility given early on allowing you to develop as fast as you can The company is a breath of fresh air to work for, constantly challenging you, each other and our clients People are not just colleagues but become close friends. The company culture fosters a fun atmosphere Great perks bespoke to Newton

Cons

We work on client-site, meaning we have to work hard and deliver value to the client. There is no room to coast along, but that is part of the excitement! The lifestyle, especially early in the career is away from home 4 nights a week, which may not be for everyone.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An exciting challenge with brilliant people

25 Feb 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

#1 - the people - everyone here is so smart and driven, and they're also amazing to have a laugh with #2 - the culture - there's a huge desire to grow, both personally and as a whole #3 - the variety - the range of sectors and roles is awesome

Cons

The lifestyle can get a little tough, having to be away from home during the week. This gets better as you get more senior, and to be honest I've never had to work on the week - I've been there 3 years now.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Always look out for yourself! No-one else will

21 Mar 2015 - Ops Consultant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very fast initial growth, pay is good, you will quickly become confident speaking to people at all different levels within an organisation, they were keen to stress that junior employees should not work at weekends, many people were able to get unpaid leave if they asked for it, top level of management are well liked and respected by everyone.

Cons

Employee development very dependent on projects and individual (often low-seniority) colleagues, allowing employees to get a relatively long way into their career without becoming better at the things they needed to do to be promoted. Many things are said to employees that aren't true in practice (e.g. importance of manufacturing to the business is actually VERY low, but majority of employees want to do those projects). Company sponsored activities to deal with difficult consulting lifestyle are heavily alcohol fuelled, which can lose its fun over time.

9 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

The most exciting and stimulating company there is!

14 Jul 2014 - Business Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

For me the number one thing about Newton is the people - there is a buzz and a feeling of support whenever the company congregates that I have not encountered elsewhere. It is these very people that are driving the company forward - from delivering exceptional projects across a range of sectors, to developing all of the internal processes and tools that make the company tick. The company has changed a lot in the seven years I have been with them and it is really exciting to think where it will be in another seven years! The drive of the founding Directors and the commitment to the company and the team with in it is inspirational. Newton offers highly competitive remuneration which grows rapidly with your progression through the business. Promotion is based on merit - when you are ready, you will be promoted, and if you are not quite ready, you will be given the support required to develop.

Cons

It is hard work so don't expect a cosy nine-to-five job, but the hours are typically no longer than the senior team on site. The challenges are tough as well, be it a complex data set, or a defensive client - but the support network within Newton can advise, assist and train you to overcome these scenarios. The main crux which you must be comfortable and realistic about is the lifestyle - within the first three years it is realistic to be away from home during the week (with all your expenses paid). I find this manageable and positive - even with a family at home - as the weekend are 100% my own, and you are on site with a great team of friends who are also your colleagues. Also you end up in some great parts of the world so just embrace a different place! If the lifestyle works for you, it is an amazing job, but if it doesn't, it could feel tough.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pros

Projects are fascinating and challenging, the people live the vibrant culture and the management really do empower their staff at early stages of their careers. Training is in abundance and there is a very open structure with many routes to providing great communication flow.

Cons

As with all consultancies the lifestyle of a consultant has to be taken into account, but there are many advantages of Newton that make this appear insignificant.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great people and culture, exciting work

1 Feb 2017 - Business Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

My colleagues were all incredibly talented people who were genuinely fun to work with. The recruitment process looks for strong social skills and that is clearly noticeable in the company culture. The work itself is diverse and you can get great responsibility early on by proving you can handle it. This isn't a job for people with just great chat or ideas, you actually need to be able to get results by working with people of all layers within the clients.

Cons

The lifestyle is full on. You are working away from home Monday to Friday, living in hotels. All is paid for and the company cars are great, but you will not be able to join social events at home during the week.

4 people found this review helpful