Newton Europe Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Sep 7, 2021

Found 15 of over 211 reviews

4.0
Newton Europe Founding Directors  Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Andrew Hawes and Tom Wedgwood
Pros
  • "Strong focus on personal development(in 22 reviews)

• "Career progression and personal development are highly regarded(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some don’t like working away from home Monday-Thursday(in 56 reviews)

• "Lots of travel, often long hours, can be stressful(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

132 Comments

Consulting

386.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Newton Europe~412875
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great

Sep 7, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Never a dull moment, always working with exciting clients.

Cons

Long days and Long hours.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Apr 29, 2021 - Business Operations Consultant in Bristol, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee wellbeing is paramount The people are all great Many opportunities to progress and a defined promotion process

Cons

Expect to work long hours

Newton Europe Response

Employer Brand Specialist

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write a response! Your feedback is important to us and will be discussed in our monthly Glassdoor review. Employee wellbeing is incredibly important to us so it’s great to see this being recognised. If you feel your workhours become problematic, please do not hesitate to contact your line manager or hrshared@newtoneurope.com.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to start a Career

Jan 14, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, lovely people and a challenging fast paced environment

Cons

Long Hours, Travelling all the time, No control over time between projects

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Amazing people

Jan 11, 2021 - Lead Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brilliant and bright people who care about what they do

Cons

Lots of travel, often long hours, can be stressful.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You would struggle to find a better first job

Oct 5, 2020 - Lead Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

After an initial, comprehensive induction, you are initially trusted to deliver valuable work for clients. The work is varied, interesting and fast paced. The people are incredibly able and smart individuals with a great amount of drive. Advice and direction is always available and continuously thrusted upon you at company conferences every two weeks.

Cons

Long hours, time away from home, stressful situations are quite frequent. Almost always worth it.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Have a serious think about whether this is the right place for you

Jul 3, 2020 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some genuinely great people that work there, who are intelligent, dedicated, and caring. If it works out for you, it can be fun, rewarding and challenging.

Cons

If you have a browse of these reviews you'll see that there are a bunch of 4/5 star ones, saying how great the company is for development, career progression etc, with the only down side being the long hours and being away during the week. Then there a bunch of reviews saying that the company has a toxic culture, poor managers and causes people to have breakdowns, with no regard for mental wellbeing. Chances are you'll be in the first category, but be prepared for a difficult time if you're in the latter. Which one you fall in depends significantly on how well you fit with the company. The company puts such an emphasis on 'fit', that it is often taken to mean how much like your manager are you. The result is a company of very similar people, that is overwhelmingly white and male, and lacks diversity. As someone from a minority background it can be an extremely uncomfortable place, made all the worse by the constant pressure to conform and be like everyone around you. The business has a high turnover, and disproportionately forces out people from minorities. However, it is an extremely intense environment and stressful regardless, so be prepared for this either way. This is amplified by staying away from home Monday to Friday with colleagues to the extent that even time outside of work is scrutinised and given feedback on. This feedback culture can go too far, and in many cases people feel like they can be set up to fail, rather than supported to do the job well. I had experiences where right before doing a task my weaknesses were repeated back at me, under the guise of making me aware as to do better next time, but in reality just reinforced the negativity and instilled anxiety. The business is also pretty out of touch - during my time there it was being discussed whether to use a made up 'ethnic' name on their recruitment literature to appear more diverse. Fortunately, this did not go ahead, but the fact it was even considered says enough. The company more recently says it has recognised its issue with diversity to an extent, but when the business is built around churning out consultants to the same mould, and performance managing out the ones that don't fit, it is never going to be a genuinely inclusive place. The company has been described as a cult, and to be honest it can have that feel. From the book that you get called 'Being Newton' to the fact that you're drilled to believe you're the best and no one else can do what you can. I was even told by a manager on leaving to expect people in my next company to not be as smart as they are here. Most importantly, the company has a bad track record of seriously affecting people's mental health. It needs to learn that even if some people are not performing in the way they want them to, it has a duty of care to not destroy their confidence, insult their ability, and then let them go. This has happened on numerous occasions, and in my case could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for a few genuinely caring colleagues. The fact another review mentions rumours of NDAs after poor company behaviour, and this hasn't been directly denied by the company implies it is true. It will be interesting to see what they respond to this one, if at all. The point of this review is to give an accurate account of an experience at Newton so you can form a balanced opinion, as the marketing during the recruitment process glorifies the work and obviously only shows everything in a positive light. In my opinion, If you have the skills to succeed at Newton, you would also be successful at a number of other places, and probably be a whole lot happier. If you have the slightest of doubts, save yourself the trouble, and more importantly your mental health, and look elsewhere.

35 people found this review helpful

Newton Europe Response

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m very sorry to hear that you felt this uncomfortable in Newton and that we weren’t able to resolve this while you were with us. Newton’s culture of fun and friendship combined with exceptional performance is special, but we acknowledge it doesn’t suit everyone. We try to create an inclusive environment for everyone and do recognise that inclusion requires ongoing effort from all of us at Newton. From a recruitment perspective, we’ve been working hard to attract a more diverse group of people to Newton, including scrutinising our processes from beginning to end to challenge and remove opportunities for unconscious bias or to recruit ‘what we know’, but we’re aware that a focus on recruitment alone is only part of the picture. As a company and as individuals we’re learning all the time about how our actions play their part, and we’re having a very live conversation about this across our company, facilitated by our internal EDI group and championed by our leaders, so we genuinely welcome the feedback. We do not want our company to look, or be, predominantly white and male. Our graduate intake this year has been 40% women. We’ve spent the last month hearing more from colleagues in the LGBTQ+ community and discussing together the importance of creating a safe space for everyone to feel able to be themselves. We continue to face into the challenge of becoming a more ethnically diverse workforce, and would like to get there faster. Our feedback culture is meant to be helpful, reciprocal, and to drive quick progression so that we can keep developing. We encourage conversations between line managers and their teams, and development managers and their developees about how feedback can and should be shared with each person. Everyone has preferences in how they receive feedback on their development areas, some wanting regular reminders while others prefer one chat and then to reflect for themselves. From your experience it sounds as though there were times when the way feedback was delivered to you wasn’t constructive. We do work in intense situations due, in part, to the results guarantee we give to our clients with the focus on delivering measurable results, so we know our teams deal with a lot of pressure. We monitor general wellbeing across the company every fortnight through our employee survey and, while some people thrive in this environment and find the support we offer effective, it doesn’t work for everyone and, here again, we’re always looking for ways to improve. Ensuring everyone has a development manager, providing company review days once a fortnight, and creating forums for colleagues to support each other are some of the ways we offer safe space and support. We’ve also been analysing line management practices across Newton so we can identify areas to support and further develop managers, as we know that these relationships are important to both the delivery of our projects and the wellbeing of our people. Additionally, we’re currently trialling some training in mental health first aid so that we’re better able to spot the signs of where somebody may be feeling so overwhelmed that it’s impacting their mental health. We see this as a last resort, as our peer networks, development managers, line managers, HR support and other forums should enable us to have much earlier conversations about and with anyone who needs some extra help or, importantly, where we need to approach a situation differently. As a final point, where behaviour is deemed unacceptable or poor we will always deal with it by following the appropriate HR procedures. We do understand that Newton is a stretching environment. Our value of loving our people is of the utmost importance to us, so if you have any more feedback about your experience that you’d like to share we’d welcome an open conversation. Please get in touch with us at hrshared@newtoneurope.com.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that really cares about its people

Jul 10, 2019 - Head Office Employee in Abingdon, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great collaborative atmosphere Very positive attitude from colleagues Career development is encouraged and supported Good benefits package Very sociable and energetic extra-curricular activities Peaceful rural location Lots of snacks!

Cons

Excellence is always expected (not really a con, but can add pressure) Consultants work long hours so H.O. members can feel an expectation to do the same.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you want responsibility, challenge, and a great culture, look no further!

Aug 20, 2018 - Senior Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get responsibility from day one. You'll be managing your own clients and delivering your own workstreams; there's no hiding behind a laptop or report-writing. It's a perfect balance of technical problem solving and working with people. The problems are real and the work is varied. You could spend the morning in an operating theatre, on a submarine, or on a factory floor, and the afternoon crunching numbers with senior stakeholders in the boardroom. You'll leave site at the end of the week knowing you've added value and having make a tangible difference. Excellent development opportunities. Feedback and development is fundamental to Newton culture, and everyone has your back to get you to reach your potential. There are no formal qualifications, but the hands-on experience you get at such an early point in your career will speak for itself. The social side and job perks are brilliant. There are six weekends away with the company each year, of which you can attend as many or as few as you wish. These include ski trips, activity sports, secret-location city breaks and Edinburgh Fringe, among others. Fortnightly Review Nights and Review Days mean you get to see colleagues from other projects frequently, who will inevitably become some of your closest friends.

Cons

The nature of the job means you're away from home a lot, and this won't suit everyone. However, many people find moving around the country and working with different teams/clients exciting. Workloads fluctuate so there'll be long hours on some weeks. You're guaranteed to be home by 6pm every Friday, and there's strictly no weekend work, so you can switch-off at the weekend even if it can be difficult to do so mid-week.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company, but can be long hours during the week. Great opportunity for advancement aged development.

Oct 14, 2017 - Lead Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team work culture, fun events and a leadership team that's really interested in its people. Great training and development.

Cons

Long hours and does not pay as much as other consultancies for more senior role. Salaries are shown as packages which can be difficult to interpret.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Job Security Issues and Loss of Business - Watch out!

Oct 22, 2017 - Graduate Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can be a great place to work: with a lot of intelligent people, working on interesting projects.

Cons

Poor job security - Let around 30 people go back in April 2017 - Pushed back many graduate start dates by over 6 months - Looking to make further cuts Male dominated Long Hours Lots of Travel Management are extremely arrogant (Oxbridge old boys)

23 people found this review helpful