Nigel Frank International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Nigel Frank International CEO James Lloyd-Townshend
James Lloyd-Townshend

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The targets to progress in the business are challenging but very achievable with hard-work" (in 39 reviews)

• "Great company to work for if you are a self motivated person that wants to earn a lot of money" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The most successful people work that little bit extra so work-life balance can be difficult" (in 38 reviews)

• "Long hours with not much opportunity for overtime" (in 75 reviews)

1. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, company invest a lot of money in making their staff happy.

Training is also on point.

Cons

Only 2 miles away from home so I can only do 6 minutes cycling in the morning which sucks. I love cycling

20 Jun 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. We are really glad to see you are enjoying your time here at Frank Recruitment Group - keep up the great work! Thanks.

2. "Fun culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture - great fun working environment.

Cons

Ego's - recruitment is full of them, but NFI has a lot of egos with people who are actually not very good at recruitment.

3. "Great for starting out"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Social
    Lots of free events
    Achievable incentives
    Great culture/family feeling
    Fantastic training scheme

Cons

Many areas of the business are not collaborative
    Long hours
    Lots of pressure
    graduate focused ... less interested in more senior employees

20 Jun 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review, we are taking your feedback on board. Unfortunately long hours and tough targets do come with the recruitment industry but we do offer great incentives for those willing to... More

4. "Great entry route into Recruitment"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the training and support you need towards becoming a recruiter. All the tools you need are provided.
    Hard work is never unnoticed. Always rewards and shout-outs. There is always time to bond with colleagues and management take the time to know you too.
    Friendly work culture. More of a push on social and sporting activities now which is good to see. Definitely making the effort to promote work/life balance. End of month presentations always good fun.
    Great place to start. Reasonable targets to move up the promotion ladder.

Cons

No job is ever perfect. Strong emphasis on KPI's but certainly not a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Look into other niche IT markets like Software Testing and Scala programming.

20 Jun 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your response. We are glad to see you enjoyed your time at FRG, it is a shame you are no longer with us. Keep us in mind for the future again. Thanks.

"Good opportunity to earn money"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team night's out/meals when breaking a record
    Monthly business review and open bar
    Career progression
    Global offices and opportunity to relocate within the company (senior+)

Cons

Long hours, especially difficult to stay positive in the winter months when you get to work and leave when it's pitch black outside

Micromanagement drives me up the wall.
    Continuous round-ups and repledge takes valuable time out of BD session and breaks my concentration. Team round up at 8.30 and floor round up at 9 sometimes later? Really. On foreign markets we should have been on the phone already because of time differences. Having to hear the same thing we've heard over and over again, "get on the phone, where are your interviews, send CVs" becomes tedious. We know what's expected of us, stop treating us like children and have less "round-ups".

Bullying, talking about people behind their backs. I generally keep to myself, but made the mistake of discussing something that was bothering me with my manager. A few days later another manager came over for a general team chat and in front of everyone made a few inappropriate comments which immediately indicated my story had been shared. People generally don't respect others and it often feels like I work with a group of teenagers.

Drug culture is shocking.

People forget there is a human on the other end of the phone. Get back to the candidates and dont ignore them.

Advice to Management

Management should be more professional and taught how to work with different people. Feels like people are put in to management roles because of company growth and not because they have the leadership skills.

Early finished on a Friday... no one does anything on a Friday afternoon and besides we' put in so many extra hours on Mon-Thurs?

Salaries should be reviewed.
    Don't understand how a TRC and RC are on the same salary.

More incentives for women.
    Football tickets are great for the guys, but surely more diverse incentives can be run for us to enjoy too?

18 May 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review and feedback. We cannot improve without our employee's feedback. I see you are a current employee and we are always looking for new, diverse incentive ideas. If you have any... More

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Newcastle, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offer a range of benefits including;

- Holidays
    - Watches
    - Cars
    - Food / Lunches and Evenings
    - Social events
    - Football Tickets
    - Fast Career Progressions
    - Good Salary opportunities

The above are all achievable, obviously not everyone hits or gets everything but the bottom line is if you are willing to put in the hard work then you will stand a chance of hitting the above.

You have a real opportunity on the career side but it’s about sticking at it, you won’t be a manager in 12 months but if you are willing to work with the company and get past the 24-36 month marker after proving yourself as a decent consultant then you will be given further team lead / management responsibility.

Cons

The hours always come up, but since I have been here they have certainly became more flexible. The guys who have been here 3 years plus mention that “It’s not like the old days”, but to be fair even 2 years ago we were still working for the sake of it at times, now it’s more about getting your work done and being more productive around targets and KPI’s – I am on a team where I am a bit more micro manged than most, for me it works as my manager / team lead point me in the right direction although I can also see how others get frustrated by walls covered in numbers and KPI’s

Sandwiches are a bit stale – I mean surely the supplier can use fresh bread and mix up the fillings every now and then – nit picking here but thought we could mention it.

No fun activities in the office, the old one had a football table – always a laugh and gave plenty of office noise on an evening!

Basic could be higher in Newcastle as we are getting offers directly from elsewhere, I appreciate the other benefits the company offer but maybe a re-look at this would help

Advice to Management

Take down the old KPI boards they look like a waste of space, surely we can get some posters up about holiday targets on there or floor / quadrant billing leagues?

Secondly can we get a bit of colour in the office? Maybe allowing each quadrant to decide their own colour of theme so that it shows a bit of personality, at times I look up and it feels like I am sitting in a doctors waiting room about to put my weight up on my weight tracker chart.

Finally keep pushing the targets and offering good incentives, although with the holiday incentives maybe put a trip to a vote – so offering three suggestions as the CEO incentive then whichever one gets the most votes we all go there?

18 May 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad you are enjoying your time with Nigel Frank International. We are always looking for new ways to improve our working environment, if you have any... More

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training set you up for future employment

Cons

Culture
    Hours - 12 hours per day?!?!

18 May 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your time with Nigel Frank International. Unfortunately long hours come with Recruitment and so is not for everyone, but for those willing to... More

8. "Potential to Improve"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time

Pros

- Decent incentives
    - Good opportunity to progress
    - Good commission structure

Cons

- Micro-management across all levels
    - Old-school company culture
    - Retention of staff doing well is very poor

Advice to Management

- Listen to employee's opinions more and make changes on that. Commission structure is impressive but money doesn't buy loyalty.
    - Have a clear progression structure as goalposts are moved constantly for different people.
    - Change company culture, you don't have to work 10+ hours a day to be successful. Employee's should not feel pressure to stay past contracted hours. Should be a choice not feel mandatory.
    - Become less KPI driven and focus more in up-skilling consultants so that they use their time more efficiently.

20 Jun 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review, we are taking comments on board. Unfortunately the recruitment industry does come with long working hours and tough targets but we try and balance this out with our... More

9. "A brilliant place to work, but not a place for everyone"

Current Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Clear career path
    - Uncapped commission structure...but you need to work for it. As all in life, nothing is for free...but it is so worth it at Nigel Frank/FRG
    - Global offices (currently 12 offices in 5 countries in 4 continents, but more will be open soon) with the possibility to relocate to any of them. Many of our sides have been started with UK established employees!
    - Very good university to get you started into your new Job
    - Best training in the industry to give everyone the same opportunity (training never Stops)
    - Team Atmosphere. Of course each Team is different, but the once I experienced were amazing!
    - Sport Opportunities (professional running club, boxing classes, football, Netball…)
    - Incentives…It is not just empty talk…each year we have 2-3 Global incentives that get you to the most amazing destinations (Lapland, Miami, New York, South Africa, Morocco…) Worth the effort to be within a shot to go
    - Job security. We are not a hire and fire company. If an employee doesn’t perform, we find solutions to help (e.g. additional training and support), to ensure he can be successful in this job. However there are times, as with any Job, that this is not the right role for you.
    - Being part of a Journey a lot of companies can dream of

Cons

- Long working hours
    - Pressure in KPI’s but it has improved over the last years
    - Pressure in making deal…but in the Flip Side it is a sales Job
    - No flexibility in working hours

Advice to Management

We are stepping in the right direction year on year. We have more wellbeing for employees, but there is still more we can do for the employees to ensure we get easier and without any pressure more productivity. We need to give more trust into the employees. Ensure we do hire the right people.

18 May 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are glad you are enjoying your time with Nigel Frank International and have noticed the efforts we have being putting into making improvements. We are... More

"Glorified Call Centre"

I worked at Nigel Frank International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-For my first role in recruitment it was good to have a chance to get into the industry.
    -The initial 4 week training, which could have been compacted into 3 weeks, did give a great introduction into a day in the life of a recruiter and the training team were really great and easy to get along with.
    -Decent commission scheme
    -City Centre location
    -Free bar every first week of the month

Cons

Where do I start.
    As soon as you leave the "training university", that's it, you're out on your own left to just "pick up the phone and get on with it".

The mico management is just absolutely terrible - explaining what you're doing and why you're doing it literally every minute of the day gets highly demoralizing.
    It's a dog eat World in there, and especially when you're just starting off and eager to get your first deal, it's a terrible environment to work in - everyone else in your team, even the Senior/Principle Consultants who you are supposed to look to for advice, shaft you, hide candidates from you, keep numbers off the CRM so you can't ring clients and speak down to you like something on their shoe.

The long hours? Don't get me started. Starting every day at 8am, not a second later unless you want a "punishment", and not leaving until 6/7pm most evenings, AND being FORCED to stay until 8pm every Tuesday is just ridiculous, especially since you're still being micromanaged at those times. Only an hour for lunch which HAS to be taking between 12:30-13:30, even if you've been "nominated" to cover the phones during lunch - so when are these people supposed to take a break and have something to eat?!

There will definitely be a response here stating that in recruitment you need to stay extra hours to speak to candidates and clients and get CVs out bla bla bla bla bla - well, I'm still in recruitment and I arrive and leave the office every day at 8:30am and 5:30pm respectively, and guess what? I'm constantly placing 3 candidates a month and I made Senior Consultant in less than a year - I'm doing far more deals, bringing on much more business than I ever did at Nigel Frank in less hours - just because you're in the office for 12 hours a day in a toxic environment doesn't mean you'll be productive.

You HAVE to do 2 hours on the phone every day otherwise you'll get some punishment or ridiculed in front of the whole floor. Of course you have to speak to candidates and clients, but making people scared of the consequences if they are on the phone for 1 hour and 59 mins isn't the way to increase productivity.

I've seen people pressured into wearing stupid fancy dress costumes, having the phone sellotaped to their head and witnessed people doing cocaine in the toilets right before a business development session - HR issue much?!

KPIs are the same for every team, technology and geographical location, which really doesn't make sense and isn't logical. They are extreme KPIs and Team Managers focus on this rather than the quality of work that you've done - most of my team were just sending out CVs to some of our Account Managed clients knowing fine well there wasn't any available relevant jobs for that CV just to meet the KPIs.

The base salary is pitiful, literally just higher than minimum wage, with no ladder in between, meaning you only get a pay rise when you hit senior consultant, which can be a long long long time.

If you want to start off in a career in recruitment, don't go here. Likewise, if this is your first experience of the recruitment World, don't assume everywhere is like this.
    There are loads of opportunities out there at some amazing companies out there where you can go out and meet with your clients and candidates and actually be a Recruitment "Consultant", and not just a glorified call centre worker. There are companies with better pay structures, better bonus structures and much much MUCH better working environments.

The only thing I can guarantee if you start a job here, is that you'll regret it.

I'll get a response from Zoe or someone else saying that they wish I would have come to them at the time to discuss the issues, the big problem is, you don't promote an open door policy. You don't encourage people to come to you with problems, in fact, you don't promote any sort of well-being whatsoever. All senior management are so far removed from any real issues that they wouldn't know what to do about it.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror. You call yourself the "Global Leaders in Microsoft recruitment" yet most clients hate you and the way you do business. Something needs to change and quickly.
    Stop focusing on ridiculous KPIs and micromanagement. Give Consultants a bit of autonomy and trust and focus on the quality of work over quantity.
    Revise your policy on working hours, give people remote email access.

Stop belittling people's experiences with "in recruitment you often have to work longer hours...." because this is bull. It's your way of making people think that this is the norm in recruitment when it's really not.

18 May 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your time with Nigel Frank International but we have taken your comments very seriously and they will be reviewed. We wish you the best of... More