Nominet Reviews

Updated 6 Apr 2021

3.6
Nominet  Chief Executive Officer Russell Haworth (no image)
Russell Haworth
  1. "Nominet is the best place I've worked"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Oxford, England, England

I have been working at Nominet full-time

Pros

Nominet cares about their employees. We have many internal opportunities, and there is a great work life balance.. The employees who work at Nominet are experts in their field and great to work with. We are a profit with a purpose company and we actively change lives. We have a clear strategy and driving forward into the future with many exciting opportunities.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. COVID-19

"Great People, Continuous Change and High Performance"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Lead in Oxford, England, England

I have been working at Nominet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am surrounded by high performing and brilliant people. I have been empowered and encouraged in my role and when needed everyone is happy to help me. Albeit starting at a time when Covid was kicking in there is a great sociable culture which isn't pressed upon you unlike some places I have worked. They recently invested in LinkedIn Learning for the whole business and found a true desire to support employee's mental health and well-being (we had a sleep doctor come in last week). I have enjoyed my first few months here and hope the journey continues the way it started.

Cons

There is a heavy meeting culture here but I have heard a number of people say the same so I feel this might be addressed at some point. Some staff have been disappointed by some some reorgs the business has recently been through but overal the feeling is really positive about the direction the business is now taking.

3. "Great place to be"

I have been working at Nominet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely lovely people, great offices, amazing benefits and a company mission that cares about more than their bottom line

Cons

As with any tech company, their direction has to change with the wind.

"Best kept secret!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Oxford, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nominet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've read some other reviews but I can hand on heart say that Nominet is one of the best places I have worked. I feel really cared about have have had some amazing opportunities to do great things and gain development in my role! The people are really great here - always willing to help one another - working together on exciting projects and delivering really well against super ambitious targets, projects and activities. I am always surprised by some of the team members talents and capabilities - great people who are always trying hard to make a difference. I also think one of the pro's is that we've not been frightened to make change - if its not working then time to sort things out! One of our great values - Courage!!!

Cons

There are a number of things changing in the business right now - I know I have made some in my own team - but its how you make the tweaks that make the difference ensuring people are treated in the right way. What did Einstein say about the definition of madness .... so yes - change can be disruptive and not nice when you see team members being affected - but 9 times out of 10 I've seen the business try to make a change for the better.

"Fantastic opportunity"

I worked at Nominet full-time

Pros

A terrific company with some amazing and gifted people. I had a hugely rewarding 9 and a half years (only planned on staying for 3!) working with people who passionately care about what they do. The culture really changed, for the better, during my time in the business from a very academically focused business to one with a more commercial heartbeat and drive. Recent new hires have also brought energy and enthusiasm to the team. The technology and projects are hugely interesting and the business definitely gets to punch above its weight thanks to its role in the UK internet infrastructure. There's some really interesting work to be done and the new work on Cyber Security is taking the business into an interesting and potentially high-growth area. It's a good place to work on some really mission-critical projects and initiatives that affect the lives of almost everyone using the internet in the UK. Some terrific experience to add to your CV. The teams work well together and there's a definite sense of community - evidenced by plenty of nights out together and a shared sense of success/reward when things go well.

Cons

Like any membership-based business, it's not without its challenges - namely trying to keep everybody on board whilst moving the business on. The business hasn't always got it right, but decisions have always been made with the best intentions and a lot of thinking and planning. It's still a medium sized business - with its heart in Oxfordshire. It's not going to be for everyone, but opportunities are there if you look for them. Like every business in or around Oxford...Parking restrictions!!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Nominet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoyable place to work. Good level of engaging work that can still be done with a healthy work life/balance. Management believe that a strong set of happy employees equals productive employees which, I feel, works really well. The work is varied and engaging and the company wants to know what it can do to further employee knowledge and experience as they will also reap the benefit. Definitely would recommend to anyone looking fora job here

Cons

Same issue as with other similar sized companies in that it's difficult to find any movement upwards. The company is aware and does try it's best to cater for people wanting to progress their career but there is a limitation simply due to the size of what opportunities there are.

7. "Fast-paced, demanding, rewarding"

Current Employee - Manager in Oxford, England, England

I have been working at Nominet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Massive push in the last couple of years towards diversity, creating a lot of new opportunities and instilling a fast-paced culture across the business. You will work with talented people, many of whom are experts in their field. Nominet has become very focused on employee development and really wants people to love coming to work. Lots of opportunity for learning new skills and employees are actively encouraged to step out of their comfort zone, go the extra mile, take risks and reap the rewards. Senior management team seems more aligned nowadays and the sense of a common strategy is very apparent. All in all, a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Salaries have fallen behind the market. Simply put, you can earn more working elsewhere. Still a reasonably small organisation so career progression internally is effectively impossible. Nonetheless, roles are still enjoyable and everyone is valued.

8. "Ambitious"

I have been working at Nominet full-time

Pros

Really ambitious and wants to improve company revenue the people are amazing, very talented and generally lovely people to work with No two days are the same, you get a lot of exposure to different work or projects

Cons

None I can think of

"A relaxed work place"

I have been working at Nominet full-time

Pros

Nominet has an extremely good work-life balance, no pressure of any sort, and a very relaxed environment. There is scope for growing, although that is more true if you are in a less skilled roles.

Cons

The workplace is so relaxed that it can feel sleepy at times. A good place for retirement, someone could say, but not too exciting, although this might have changed in recent times.

Continue reading

"Great culture and work life balance"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nominet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people at Nominet are great to work with. They are a great team of people with expert knowledge who want to work together to get the job done well. The company really cares about the wellbeing of the staff. The company is ambitious and wants to improve and add more value, including a great public benefit mission. Very flexible working arrangements and good work life balance.

Cons

The ambition can mean there are too many competing priorities making it hard to focus. Or jumping from one critical deadline to the next without time to breathe. The differences with some of the membership causes instability and distraction from time to time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Reviews