North Yorkshire County Council Reviews

Updated 20 Feb 2021

4.1
North Yorkshire County Council Chief Executive Richard Flinton
Richard Flinton
Pros
  • "Flexible working conditions - home working and working from hubs across the county(in 7 reviews)

• "Monday to Friday working - I have a great work life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Salary and annual leave entitlement is lower than many other public sector organisations and other local authorities for similar work(in 4 reviews)

• "Senior management seem to either support this or aren't interested enough in the issue to care(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Love it"

Current Employee - Data Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time

Pros

Nothing bad to report, all good

Cons

No complaints at all with nycc

2. "Fair and honest working environment"

Current Employee - GTA in Boroughbridge, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Regular pay, job security, supportive colleagues

Cons

Can’t think of any to be honest

3. "Supportive Employer - genuinely care"

Current Employee - Resourcing Coordinator in Northallerton, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time

Pros

- Manager and colleague support system - Flexi time - Pension - Flexible home working - Colleagues are helpful and genuinely care about their areas - Ofsted Outstanding

Cons

- Large business, sometimes difficult to know who to contact

February 3, 2021Senior HR Advisor

It is great you are having so many positive experiences within your team, it is important to us we are a supportive organsiation and we that we genuinely care about our people. Thank you for highlighting our outstanding Ofsted. With a large workforce it is difficult to know who to contact and we are continually reviewing our systems. If you have any suggestions on making contact easier we will be happy to receive your comments

4. "Welcoming"

Former Employee - Advanced Teaching Assistant in Harrogate, England

I worked at North Yorkshire County Council part-time

Pros

Good team and good induction process

Cons

Relatively low pay for the work

5. "Supportive organisation"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northallerton, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great communication from management, big focus on supporting staff with development opportunities. Huge range of projects to get involved with, big focus on use of technology and innovative ways of working.

Cons

Lower pay bands than private sector but made up for by development opportunities and support.

6. "Politics"

Current Employee - Regeneration Officer in North Yorkshire, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time

Pros

Good colleagues and good working pattern

Cons

Elected members let us down

February 3, 2021Senior HR Advisor

Thanks so much for your positive review of working here and to hear that you're feeling and experiencing the great culture within the council. It is important we offer a great working pattern, when we can, and you are able to have a good work/life balance. If you would like to discuss your concerns about elected members we would appreciate your comments, send me an email at resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk and I'll get back to you. Many thanks

7. "Great"

Former Employee - Artist/Teacher in York, England

I worked at North Yorkshire County Council part-time

Pros

Supportive with career development opportunities

Cons

Low morale within education system

February 3, 2021Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, if you could email me at resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk I would be happy to discuss your comments and forward this to the relevant service.

8. "So far, so good"

Current Employee - Clerk in Selby, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council part-time

Pros

Working in a role that benefits others

Cons

There haven't been any so far

January 5, 2021Senior HR Advisor

Hi - thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear your pros are working in a role that benefits others as we aim to make a difference to the lives of our residents in North Yorkshire.

9. COVID-19

"Expect to be underpaid and undervalued (but there are some perks)"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Permanent Roles (Various)
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at North Yorkshire County Council part-time

Pros

Great variety of tasks Busy offices (pre-covid), so you always have something to do Friendly, supportive colleagues (BUT this varies from team to team and office to office - bullying was still rife where I was based, and in another location, I did experience this myself on one occasion) Everybody Benefits access

Cons

Compared to other councils, it's a lower pay rate for most of the jobs Limited parking at a lot of offices (some don't have any) Minimal management support in certain roles Very difficult to progress into higher-paid roles (once you are in band, expect to stay there for some time, if not forever) Middle managers tend to be kept in place after restructures, even when their teams are vastly reduced/removed (and they are rarely interviewed for their suitability) Flexible working wasn't as flexible as described during my time there (this will clearly have changed after covid) Some staff members were less than honest and thrived on gossip and bullying. Depending on where you're based and what team you're in, you are likely to run into some 'difficult characters' (although this is likely true of a lot of office-based jobs). Some managers have previously admitted to 'fudging interview scores' to get the person they 'like best' in the job, regardless of their suitability. Senior management seem to either support this or aren't interested enough in the issue to care. It really can be a case of: 'if they like you, you're in, and you'll love it, but if they don't like you as much and you get the job, good luck!!!'

Continue reading

January 6, 2021Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for writing a review of your experience at North Yorkshire Council. It is good to hear that you enjoyed the variety of work and some of the perks of working here, such as Everybody Benefits. We are sorry to hear about the issues you have faced and can appreciate how certain teams and management styles can differ in such a large organisation. We would like to learn more from your experience and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this so that we can take appropriate action, in the strictest confidence. We are committed to improve on what we have in place for our staff, with a number of initiatives currently in development, but we are keen to learn from lived experiences to inform these. We are really proud of our reputation as a great place to work and in our last staff survey, 78% of employees said they enjoyed their job here and found it rewarding. Whilst pay and conditions are negotiated nationally, we constantly benchmark our salaries to ensure that they are comparable. We would welcome the opportunity listen to any ideas/suggestions you have and encourage you to contact us at resourcingsolutions@northyorks.gov.uk.

10. "Generally good experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at North Yorkshire County Council full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some very supportive colleagues and teams

Cons

No concerns to report on the whole

January 5, 2021Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for taking to time to write this review, and it's great to hear such a positive message. As you may know there is considerable focus on additional support and motivation for employees, and our recent staff survey is proving a fantastic tool for making sure we put our energy in the right area. Thank's for your hard work, and I hope you continue to find NYCC a great place to work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56 English Reviews