Northrop Grumman "9 80 schedule" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Northrop Grumman Employee Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Updated 3 Jan 2020

3.8
Northrop Grumman CEO Kathy Warden
Kathy Warden
Pros
  • "Work life balance - the 9/80 schedule is brilliant, plus there is the capacity to work from home if you need to(in 375 reviews)

• "Good work life balance when there is no schedule pressure(in 361 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, upper management never seems to have much interest in the lower folk(in 125 reviews)

• "large company not always easy to move up(in 107 reviews)

Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "not a bad company"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

9/80 schedule was very cool to enjoy 3 day weekends.

Cons

nothing bad to say about working for the company

Advice to Management

nothing

Northrop Grumman2019-12-11
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours plus 9/80 Friday’s Work from home

Cons

Advancement to another band level is difficult. Inefficient processes that are always changing.

Northrop Grumman2019-12-04

"Functional Home Room Induced me to Quit"

Former Employee - Staff Systems Test Engineer in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job Security. Cheap medical and dental if Single. Some opportunity to transfer to other locations such as Melbourne, Florid, San Diego, etc. Their 401 k has an unusual three components: Traditional pre tax, Roth post tax, and then After Tax. Traditional and Roth total contributions are limited by standard IRS limits of 19 k or 25 K if over 50. But after that, one can put more into the after tax! And one can put in up to a total of 55k limit across the 401k total contributions. So if one wants, one can put a lot of money into the After tax which later when you leave, you can roll over into your own ROTH IRA outside of work. This was a fantastic thing for me being old and a senior as I make too much money to contribute to a ROTH IRA outside of work, but here I could dump a lot into what will go into my ROTH IRA when I leave, which I have done. They do a 9/80 work week which gives you every Friday off and that in general is a good thing.

Cons

Functional Home Room extra layer of management is horrible. People you do not work for, and junior people at that who are manager wannabees are the ones that write your evaluations and performance reports. They have no idea what you do for actual work. In addition, they can put down anything they want in the evaluation, whether true or not, and you have no way to address or dispute what they put in. They do not talk with you first nor do any diligence or research to see if some so called complaints or negative allegations are true or not. Benefits are not great. New hires get not pension, only 6% matching 401 k contributions.

Advice to Management

You must fix that functional home room fiasco. A person can't work under a sword of damocles when unknown and un named so called managers that one does not work for can write evaluations when they are not involved with you at all.

Northrop Grumman2019-12-13

"Treats the younger generation poorly"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Linthicum, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can sleep on the job with no repercussions and collect an easy paycheck. 9/80 isn't terrible. Tons of corporate lunches if you attend their internal propaganda meetings.

Cons

Blatant nepotism runs rampant. Policies and management change all the time just so corporate will have something to do. Salaries aren't that great; raises are stack ranked. Changes in tuition assistance makes the whole thing really not worth it. 3 year vest and 2 year commitment post money acceptance for grad school is excessive. HR will push you down if you don't have advanced engineering degrees, but there are old dudes as engineers with no degree at all. In the 3 years at NGC, I had 3 different jobs (only way to dig my salary out of HR low offers) and 10 different managers. Management was overall terrible and incompetent, more concerned with politicking than caring about their engineering products or engineers. If you aren't a suck up, you will have problems. If you don't want to be micromanaged, you will have problems. You will be a cog in the wheel here and nothing you do will actually matter. Corporate did nothing to counteract a bullying situation and I was illegally fired due to my depression. The East building at NGCMS also violated ITAR by shipping a T/R module to Asia and management tried to cover it up. Colleagues will drive the bus and report you for the silliest things in order to advance their careers.

Northrop Grumman2020-01-03
  5. "Great Title"

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Great work life balance 9/80 schedule

Cons

Fast pace work environment . Too much expected of their interns

Northrop Grumman2019-11-21
  6. "Great people and emphasis on work/life balance"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer III in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great people at the company. They're smart, passionate and really care about the employees -Amazing work/life balance. Majority of employees get the 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off

Cons

It can sometimes be tough to work on projects you can't talk about in public because of the secretive nature of defense

Northrop Grumman2019-11-21

"Great company with lots of opportunities and room for growth!"

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The 9/80 schedule is an amazing benefit and the programs tend to be very interesting which makes the work never boring. There is lots of room for growth and always chances to learn if you are willing to take them.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy because it’s a defense company.

Northrop Grumman2019-11-13

"Meaningful Work, Stagnant Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Scheduler

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Same defense contractor as any other defense contractor. 9/80 Fridays are nice.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. Sign-on bonuses are offered to meet minimum salary requirements, but there is no path to promotion. You'd better be happy with your base salary.

Advice to Management

Pay. Your. People.

Northrop Grumman2019-11-23
  9. "Good company to intern at"

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer Intern

I worked at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

- Was able to learn a lot due to their mentorship program - Cool, relaxed coworkers - 9/80 Schedule

Cons

- At the end of my internship, mentor was inactive - Lack of off-site events

Northrop Grumman2019-11-10

"Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is great. 9/80 schedule is convenient

Cons

Can be hard to get recognized for your efforts. Also sometimes contracts end and you get placed on another that you might not enjoy.

Northrop Grumman2019-11-05