Northrop Grumman College Technical Intern Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Sep 29, 2019

4.1
Northrop Grumman CEO Kathy Warden
Kathy Warden
  1. "Software Engineering Internship Good Experience"

Current Intern - College Technical Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman for more than a year

Pros

- Payed Holidays if full time - Access to 401k - Extremely helpful community and great work culture

Cons

- tasking may be slow in the beginning - hard to reach out to other opportunities without networking outside of work

Northrop Grumman2019-09-29
  2. "Good experience in contributing to the company"

Current Intern - College Technical Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you get to work directly with the team(s) you're on and directly contribute to the company. You're not tasked with some busy-work.

Cons

Low female to male ratio.

Advice to Management

Put interns together!

Northrop Grumman2019-09-04
  3. "Decent company just wasn't for me"

Former Intern - College Technical Intern in Chester, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

Extremely large company with locations everywhere. Easy to transfer within the company and they offer a cool rotational program for new grad hires to try out various teams/departments within the company. Exciting for new single individuals, but tough for people who want to settle down right away.

Cons

Lots of older folk who have worked for decades. Hard to find cutting edge software/tools/frameworks. Lots of gigantic legacy systems that need to be babysat. As an intern my manager wasn't a software engineer, rather he was a general PMO. Not many flashy intern events or cool swag.

Northrop Grumman2019-06-16
  4. "College Technical Intern"

Current Employee - College Technical Intern in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help you get adjust and contribute to corporate life. - Managers make a concerted effort to task you with rewarding work. - Easy to move around the organization. - Very flexible hours.

Cons

- My first location did not plan enough in advance to make sure there was a good fit work topic wise for me. - I was able to transfer after a few months to a team that better fit my interests. - - - The culture of working 9 hrs straight (often through lunch) is not optimal for maintaining a high level of focus and quality.

Advice to Management

Should have a 30 min paid lunch break each day.

Northrop Grumman2018-09-28
  5. "College Technical"

Current Intern - College Technical Intern in Palmdale, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to try different things

Cons

Finding tasks to do for Intern requires the intern to be self-motivated

Northrop Grumman2018-08-06

"Good Internship at a Well-Reputed Company"

Former Intern - College Technical Intern in Annapolis Junction, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

-- Extremely friendly and close-knit coworkers. My team treated the interns incredibly well, took us out to lunch, and were always available when we needed help. Even those on our team who were working remotely made sure to have a good conversation with the interns and talk about our goals. I have very fond memories! -- Strong focus on technology research. If you a CS/CE major and are placed on an IRAD (Internal... Research and Development Project), you will probably have a positive experience. You will assist in the development of software applications that could potentially be used for future contracts. -- Strong networking opportunities. Northrop Grumman has several speaker/intern events where students interested in entering the defense industry can speak to company leaders.

Cons

-- Lack of meaningful assignments for all interns. Although I had a positive experience, there were many interns who simply got placed on bad assignments, and were unable to switch due to the number of interns hired. Your experience is highly dependent on your assignment/project. -- Disorganized plans for interns during first week. My first two weeks at my internship were mostly administrative tasks and setting... up my development machines. This process could have easily been streamlined so interns start meaningful work the day of the internship -- Grow1NG speaker series. Each week, the interns would have to listen to boring 2-3 hour talks from different executives/employees about specific defense industry topics. These talks were broadcasted to all interns across the country. The interns who dialed in/were not at the physical location of the talk completely zoned out, checked their phones, and were socializing with other interns.

Advice to Management

Make sure all interns receive meaningful work assignments, and make sure they have the ability to switch

Northrop Grumman2017-10-24
  7. "Great company"

Former Intern - College Technical Intern in McClellan, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

Great internal networking flexible hours meaningful work interns have the opportunity to deploy code depending on project free gym

Cons

culture is rather serious due to the possibility of getting audited no free meals

Northrop Grumman2017-10-17
  8. "Pretty great"

Former Intern - College Technical Intern in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

9/80 schedule was great for work life balance

Cons

Clearances take a long time and without one you can't do very much

Northrop Grumman2017-09-22
  9. "Great place to advance your career!"

Current Intern - College Technical Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

- Put in for a clearance! - Work whenever you want (Just average 80 hours for two weeks) - Very important work. I feel like I am making a difference. - TONS of free food. - Learn from industry leading professionals . - Amazing intern pay. - Cutting edge technology. - They really take care of you as interns. They want to become a full time employee and value your opinion.

Cons

- Interns don't get paid holidays off (Many other interns do) - Clearance process is VERY slow. But that is not really NG fault. - Most everything they do is classified so you can't talk about what you really do. - Just an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a great place to work and I hope to get a full time offer in the future. Managers are top notch and always check in to make sure you have all your needs met.

Northrop Grumman2017-08-09
  10. "College Technical Intern Softwear"

Current Intern - College Technical Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman for less than a year

Pros

World class people and management! 9/80 schedule.

Cons

Lots of red tape because it's a defense company.

Advice to Management

Could use more tasking.

Northrop Grumman2017-08-03