O2 Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

O2 Reviews

Updated 17 August 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance where they will happily let you book holidays off whenever you need them" (in 19 reviews)

• "O2 supports flexible working and allows you to maintain a healthy work-life balance" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "senior management are awful to work with" (in 5 reviews)

• "No work-life balance and frustrating internal processes" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Business Sales & retention"

Current Employee - Sales Retention Advisor in Runcorn, England
    Current Employee - Sales Retention Advisor in Runcorn, England

I have been working at O2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High rate of internal promotion, plenty of opportunity to grow into different roles. Good rate of basic pay+benefits. Over-achievable commission structure.

Cons

Change - management pushing different agendas can regular change and sometimes its hard to keep up with what is wanted

13 Jun 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate all the pros you have listed, and we are glad you feel there is plenty of opportunities to grow within the company. We hope you... More

2. "Retail sales Manager"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at O2 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance.
    Great team
    Great job

Cons

No downside great job to have

Advice to Management

Invest in your team

30 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's nice to see you have no cons about working for us. We hope you continue to enjoy working with us and being part of the O2 Family.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - O2 Guru in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - O2 Guru in Leeds, England

Pros

You pay increases with every year you’ve worked there
    Good commission structure
    Great additional bonuses to be make through their internal competition page (I won 250 pound headphones)
    You can have a laugh and a joke with your colleagues and people you are selling to
    Management actually listen to any suggestions you have
    Uniform is polo shirt, hoodie, blue jeans and trainers
    Music in store is pretty decent
    Targets are realistic
    Within franchise you get to meet all of the top management and your MD who actually remember your name
    They’ll always take internal staff members for progression rather than going externally
    The hours are consistent with a monthly rota
    Can request certain days off that you want
    The list goes on but ultimately it’s a great place to work, I left for another job for 3 weeks and ended up coming back.

Cons

Would be nice to wear black jeans instead of blue
    Sometimes area managers can be a bit too pushy to upper management and causes a bad atmosphere within the store
    The differences between franchise and retail is noticeable (retail get company phones and franchise don’t)
    Retail staff members will actively slate franchise stores to customers and refuse to return any contracts even though we’re all o2 stores

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

21 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's nice to see you returned to work for us after just 3 weeks, this shows what a great company we are to work for. Your list of pros are fantastic... More

"Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Birmingham, England

I worked at O2 (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friends and Family discounts
    Free Uniform

Cons

Regional Leaders change like the weather
    Territory leaders are stuck up and really look down on sales advisors.
    Really invest in your next generation of staff I’ve seen way to many talented people leave O2 because of not being given jobs as Assistant store leader or Guru as the managers are biased in there opinions and use the it’s not what you know it’s who you know!
    Stores are not looked after and it’s a nightmare to get anything fixed.
    Managers leave when they want and start when they want I believe as a leader you should do your shift and be on the shop floor with your staff driving it.

Advice to Management

Seriously take some time to look at next generation managers and stop rewarding bad performance I’ve seen in my three years with O2 Store leaders and Assistant store leaders with no passion or driven just there for a pay check.

26 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Consultant

Thank you very much for the feedback. It is really useful for us, to help us shape and further build on our plans for O2 stores, and our store teams andfor the future. Due to the feedback you have... More

5. "Fun, challenging environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at O2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff bonuses, motivating teamwork, quarterly commission based on your team, great incentives, travel tips

Cons

Can be stressful at times, lots of working hours and a short break.

14 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really pleased you have so many pros about your time working for us. It is a shame about the cons, but unfortunately, with the industry, we... More

6. "Excellent place to work, great benefits"

I worked at O2 part-time

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits and fantastic team

Cons

Keeping up with KPI's can be difficult

14 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad you enjoyed working with us and that you acknowledge we have great benefits and get to work with a fantastic team and that we are a... More

7. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at O2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the company culture and how everyone is really friendly and helpful. It feels like we are all working towards the same purpose.

Pay and benefits are really good from what I can tell, and there's plenty of scope to move up or even move around the business.

Cons

An increasing reliance on outsource and managed services tends to put a damper on the collaborative spirit. Most O2 employees are happy to help each other out even if it's not specifically part of their job, but for contractors who are there for a specific purpose and are only paid for the documented work they are asked to, they are often unwilling to go beyond their job description (which is completely understandable).

There's also a fair degree of uncertainty as to the group level plans, especially since the failed Hutch merger which was the last time that Group was clear about its long term intentions.

Advice to Management

Do not forget that there are more costs than just money to worry about. It may seem cheaper on paper to outsource a lot of our work, but if we really value our reputation as a customer champion we need all of our work to reflect that, and it is really hard to ingrain that focus in people that don't have skin in the game.

14 May 2018 – Resourcing Consultant

Great title for your review and pleasing to see that you feel it is a great company to work for and that for you, the culture and the people you work with really make the difference.
    On your point... More

8. "Territory Leader"

Current Employee - TERRITORY LEADER in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at O2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing brand that really does invest in the customer and its people. Fast paced, exciting, forward thinking and massive potential for the future as it invests more and more into our ambition of being number one.
    As much as the business is large, it does look after you as an individual. Whether it’s personal development, reward or recognition, you will receive all of those from O2.
    The people make this business and there is a real feeling of team and belonging. This, by far, is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

There are absolutely no cons, believe me. I suppose every company sometime has its challenging days but in O2 you feel like there is nothing you cannot fix.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your amazing people and they will never let you down.

9 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely comment - we really appreciate it. It is so nice to see you have so many positives about working for us and no negatives. We hope you continue to enjoy... More

9. "Great working atmosphere, perfect introduction to retail"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Southampton, England

I have been working at O2 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment
    Low pressure in the beginning
    Managers were patient while learning
    Healthy sales competition
    Good bonuses and incentives

Cons

Lower pay than other mobile retailers
    Slow systems, sometimes prevent sales and impact customer experience

18 May 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really glad to see you have so many pros for working for our company. We are constantly looking at how we can make the systems better, so it... More

10. "Management"

Former Employee - ASL in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - ASL in Liverpool, England

I worked at O2 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money for a sales adviser.
    Good bonus structure.
    Very flexible hours to suit you.

Cons

Management never sell so do not understand how customer are buying so they are commenting on something they are not aware of. My manager had to sell once and he didn't know how to use the till and asked me for help. They would rather have the store be heaving and advisors having to skip their lunches so that they could sit off in the back !
    If you was off sick once they would keep ringing and messaging you to go in.
    Very short staffed.
    If short staffed youre expected to work above your hours and 'pull your weight'. At one point i was working 6 days a week, 3 of them 10 hour days with only a 30 minute break.
    Some managers steal, and are simply just moved to another store if they are caught.
    They get you to do jobs because they can't be bothered.
    After every sale there was always a lot of pressure and being taken in the back for not mentioning a certain product. I was top advisor for the stores I worked in and also for the region I was number 1 every quarter but I still got nagged at.
    Leaving this company was the best thing I have ever done.
    When there are progression opportunities available they fill them before interviews with who they are friends with or the regional manager will just move somebody who is already at the role to fill it instead of giving them opportunities.
    I was an ASL for my last 6 months of working there, and my life there was still hell.
    The company id amazing but the management lets it down massively ! But that could have just been my region, hence why i have given it a 4. It is not fair scoring the company low because the management dont know what theyre doing.

Advice to Management

Stop commenting on something when you cannot do it yourself. Prove to your team you can do it and they WILL respond positively. Stop going home when you want to when you should be working and try supporting your staff instead of throwing PIPS and warnings at them every 5 minutes.

1 Jun 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are sorry to hear that your experience at O2 did not live up to our very high standards and expectations. If you are able to provide us with any additional information directly regarding your... More