ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Aug 7, 2019

3.7
ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group CEO Guy Hands
Guy Hands
  1. "Good pay, interesting work, good work life balance"

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, great work life balance

Cons

High numbers of contractors to deliver projects resulting in significant team churn

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2015-09-09
  2. "Under valued Support Office Employees"

Current Employee - Property Administrator in Manchester, England

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People, free cinema tickets, nice offices, relaxed working environment

Cons

Still some "old school" mentality, lots of secrets, job insecurity, not rewarded for good work.

Advice to Management

Tell staff what is happening. Make time for team building, Remember the cinemas couldn't work without all the support staff and reward accordingly

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2019-08-07
  3. "Choose your location wisely - quality of cinemas vary dramatically"

Former Employee - Team Member in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly flexible hours - likely to get more shifts if you want them. Physical job - good if you like to keep busy. Employee of the month bonus. Discount on food. A lot of free cinema tickets.

Cons

Minimum wage. Extremely long hours - no extra pay for unsociable hours. Very stressful job, mentally and physically, considering the low rate of pay.

Advice to Management

I visited different Odeons in my time working at Surrey Quays and was shocked at the variation in working conditions throughout London. I would say some are a lot tougher to work at and some places are desolate. This seems unfair. The managers I had tended to lock themselves away in their offices and rarely saw them on the shop floor. The supervisors tended to be elsewhere when you needed them. There are so many... things sub par about this job, but I did enjoy parts of it due to the combined comradery with other team members in what was a usually a very stressful job.

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-09-16
  4. "Alright"

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group part-time

Pros

The free tickets and 40% off a good place to work and make friends

Cons

The hours and the pay for nights and bank holidays

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-07-14
  5. "Would now be zero hours"

I worked at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group full-time

Pros

Get to see films early

Cons

Woefully underpaid and would be now zero hours but it was UCI cinemas

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-08-03
  6. "Decent Work Place for Students"

Former Employee - Cinema Host in Putney, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Had a wonderful and supportive team with a great deal of respect for each other, saying that I can only speak for my cinema. Staff discount on food. Management that actually listens and pays attention to your needs, and attempts to actually make things more comfortable for staff. Free movies and of course watching the movie before it's released is always a nice bonus.

Cons

Weird and unpredictable work hours, in December I was working between 30 and 40 hours, in the last three months of working there I was working under 30 hours. Salary is far away too little for what we have to do.

Advice to Management

Advice isn't so much for the Cinema Management, more for Senior and Upper Management. Treat your staff with some respect, if they're having to work at retail, clean screens and deal with the literal crap that goes on in the toilets, you need to pay them more than minimum, because it is rip off if you aren't. You buy your popcorn at £4 a sleeve, and the smallest popcorn costs more than that, the least you can do is... narrow the profit margin and pay your workers a bit more. And give the hours more consistently! I lost 10 hours a week by the time I finished at Odeon.

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-07-09
  7. "Odeon Cinema Host Experience"

Current Employee - Cinema Host in Richmond, London, England

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very flexible, good for students and people with more than one job, overall friendly staff and atmosphere, multiple routes of progression within the Odeon and external companies associated with them, e.g. Costa. Work/life balance will depend on how many hours you do a week and how you manage it, so it's really up to you, but you get most week days off so have more time to do stuff during the day e.g. weekly shopping.

Cons

Pay is nothing fantastic for the work you do (if you actually put significant effort into your work, that is), the job is pretty much the same day in and day out so might get boring quickly if you don't push management to give you new tasks or go out of your way to seek them out.

Advice to Management

Could be more organized and focused, lots of stuff doesn't get done as it should, but it's getting better slowly. Recruitment process could be improved to ensure responsible people are joining but otherwise it's quite good and management has good overall people judgement.

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-06-06
  8. "Overall great place to work for"

Current Employee - Cinema Host in Gateshead, England

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fab benefits eg 40% off food, free cinema for you and friends Flexible working hours Friendly staff Gain great experiance

Cons

No double or overtime when working unsociable hours or longer hours Hard to progress within the company

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-04-12
  9. "HR"

I have been working at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group

Pros

friendly environment, good teamwork, development opportunities

Cons

there are no cons to include

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-03-26
  10. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant

I worked at ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited free films for yourself, and 12 free tickets for friends and family per quarter. 40% discount on food and drink. Commision when selling Odeon Unlimited Cards and the chance to be sent to events and movie premiers. Good Staff rewards.

Cons

4 hour contracts, not many hours available and always hiring additional staff so not much chance of working extra hours.

Advice to Management

managment can be quite cliquey which is uncomfortable for new employee's, be more welcoming.

ODEON & UCI Cinemas Group2018-02-15