OLIO Reviews

62 Comments

Tech

286.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=OLIO~1433719
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant company to work for, amazing people and positive culture

Jun 13, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely love working here. This company somehow managed to attract really intelligent and kind people, and I've been learning lots in my time here so far while feeling really safe and supported. In my team specifically, I found the team to be really open to change and any suggestions I made were listened to and often accepted easily, which I was really happy about. I am also surrounded by engineers who clearly care about the product and the software quality, which keeps my levels of motivation at high levels. Also, I'm happy to finally work in a tech team that isn't just made of men. I think the tech team is mostly non-male which is great.

Cons

None (can't think of any)

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Brilliant company to work for!

Jun 13, 2022 - Head of Business Development in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at OLIO. What we're doing is important, innovative, and the culture is one where everyone is well-looked after and treated like an adult. It's the best job I've ever had!

Cons

The fast pace of a startup isn't for everyone

3. 1.0
    Current Employee

An actual accurate and honest review

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited holiday's, fully remote working, pension.

Cons

Don’t believe what you see on the surface of OLIO, it is designed to pull the wool over your eyes to make you believe they are the best company in the world but they are very far from it. The management here are an absolute joke, people promoted internally who have been at OLIO for their entire careers and act like they are above everyone else and don’t like to be challenged because they have massive egos, shoot your ideas and suggestions down at every turn to make themselves feel special, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Developing an app for years that has no sense of direction, does not even have any form of backlog of work, so features just get thought up on the spot and ultimately delivered and then reverted 6 months down the line. Most of the positive reviews that are left are prompted by the management at OLIO, essentially begging for reviews to be left so they can appear to be amazing. They essentially force people into coming to OLIO events, in which you are recorded 24/7 from morning until night, forced into doing various activities so they can use it as marketing material without your consent. So whilst the videos seem to appear very happy, behind the scenes you have a lot of people who have various anxiety issues who are forced into coming and being recorded and have to be sent home because the “events” are too much. There’s no progression at OLIO as they seem to be so desperate for outside council, they simply can’t hire internally because they have absolutely no idea what they are doing, so hire outside of the company in hopes that somebody will provide some actual direction to the company. They seem to hire based off if you fit their core values, and not if you can actually do the job, so they have essentially ended up with a group of people who probably aren’t the best fit to develop such a product, and as so it has suffered to the point where they have to charge people to use a google map on the app. I assume this would be on the basis that you are willing to do whatever OLIO asks of you rather than objecting to their many frankly obsessively wrong practices. If you want to be micromanaged, belittled and passive aggressively bullied to the point you turn into a shrivelling husk then apply away.

2 people found this review helpful

OLIO Response

Hi, this is Tessa (OLIO’s co-founder & CEO for those of you reading this who aren’t from OLIO). I’m absolutely devastated by this review. I’d really appreciate it if you could book some time with me during my Founders 15 (time Saasha and I set aside for anyone in the company to chat with us 1:1 every Friday). Or if you prefer, please do reach out to Thaisa, our People & Culture Director. It sounds like you’re extremely unhappy and life is far too short and precious to not be enjoying your job, so I’d love to do what I can to help get this resolved! In the meantime, here’s a response to some of your points: Perhaps it hasn’t been clear to you (that’s on me), but from launch to now we’ve been firmly in ‘experimentation’ mode as an early stage startup that’s trying to do something really tricky (change consumer behaviour). That means that we’ve been building product with a view to seeing what does and doesn’t move our North Star Metric (# listings coming onto the app). Inevitably some experiments have worked; others haven’t. As we enter the next stage of our growth which is all about focus, we’ll be stripping things out of the product that don’t work. This isn’t a failure, but rather a healthy thing to ensure our product doesn’t just ‘bloat’. We do have a backlog; a very extensive one, so I’m really surprised you don’t know about it! I’ll talk to the product & tech leaders to see what we can do to ensure everyone is aware of the backlog, in a way that’s useful As part of growing our tech team from ~10 people to on our way to 30+ people over the past 12 months we’ve promoted a couple of our existing team members; and we have recruited new leadership talent that has experience of this stage of growth. I’m very sorry to hear that you think one/some of our internal hires have been over promoted. We do a bi-annual 360 performance review process for everyone, so if you haven’t been able to give feedback prior to that, I’d strongly encourage you to use this as a vehicle for that. We haven’t yet developed a clear career progression framework, but that’s next on the list for our brand new People & Culture team, once they’ve implemented our new HR Information System, and Applicant Tracking System which are our current pain points. They will be starting to develop a career development framework with the Tech team first. To help people reach their career goals (whatever they might be), every person at OLIO has a Personal Development Plan (PDP) which they create the first time they go through our bi-annual performance review process, and you’re responsible for updating it at each review thereafter. This helps us support people in reaching their career aspirations. If you haven’t got a PDP, please reach out to your manager. We do have a very diverse team, and in our tech team in particular. We’re absolutely thrilled by this as ‘inclusive’ is our #1 company value so it's something we work hard at (although of course we can always be better). You mention team mates with anxiety in particular, and that was one of the main reasons we recently rolled out the Inside Out service to everyone in the company which provides access to 1:1 counselling and also helpful tutorial materials too. We’ve also kickstarted some D&I training that’s available to everyone in the company. As far as I’m aware we have *never* forced someone to attend an event, or take part in sessions if they let us know it would be uncomfortable for them. In fact I personally know of several instances in the past when someone has chatted to us about not wanting to attend, and they haven’t, and that’s been absolutely fine. We try to ensure that in-person events work as well as possible for all sorts of people, (including accommodating those who want to opt out of optional activities) although this is of course still a learning curve, and something we will get better at with more feedback and more experience. For all of our events which we record we share in advance that recordings will take place, ask the team for their permission allowing people to opt out, and also ask again that everyone is comfortable before publishing the final version. We are very supportive of anyone who wishes to opt out (either from the start, or after filming has taken place). If you feel that you’ve not had the opportunity to say this please do let me or your SLT member know. As we’ve been on a massive recruitment drive recently, and we know how important Glassdoor is, we absolutely have asked the team to leave a review if they would like (mentioned on the company call; followed up with an email to all). There was nothing untoward about this, especially as Glassdoor is anonymous so there’s no way to know who has and hasn’t left a review anyway. I could be wrong, but I suspect that those who have left a review may feel upset by your suggestion that they did so under duress, or that what they wrote isn’t true :( As part of my induction that I do with everyone who joins OLIO, I spend some time on one slide in particular which is all about the importance of speaking your mind, and healthy debate/conflict. I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel this is the case. I will raise this (again) in our SLT meeting on Monday. With regards to the map view as part of the Supporter package, that was deliberately an MVP approach, and (as we suspected) we have found that OLIOers become Supporters because they support our mission first and foremost, rather than for the map view. Our conversion rates to Supporter are bang on industry average and through the rest of the year we will be continuing to improve this. This is another example of where it seems like perhaps you’re not familiar with the strategy behind why we’re doing some things in product - we have the AMA feature where you can direct a question to me/Saasha/any SLT member, and I’d strongly encourage you to use that to get the answers to these sorts of questions if you’re not sure why we’re doing something. Or of course, please do ask your line manager too! I am *extremely* concerned to hear you say that you feel micro-managed and belittled. This is absolutely NOT what we want, and isn’t at all in keeping with our #3 company value which is ‘caring’. I would strongly encourage you to please speak to your line manager, the line manager of whoever is treating you this way, our People & Culture team or myself to get this resolved right away. I would also hope that you have tried to give this person some feedback as in my experience, people can often be shocked and unaware of the impact their behaviour is having on others. But if they aren’t told, they will never know Finally, if you haven’t already, please can you make sure to give this feedback in the Employee Satisfaction Survey which is currently out with everybody? We run this 2x per year and it’s a really important channel for us to get feedback about things that can be better, and hopefully there you can give a few more specifics so we can solve the root cause of some of these issues. Thanks!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

OLIO - the company that cares!

Apr 18, 2022 - Lead Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

100% mission-driven, brilliant colleagues, inspirational co-founders, remote-first with opportunities to co-work plus bi-annual team events, access to people coaching via InsideOut. There's lots of support for development too.

Cons

None I can think of!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Amazing company!

Apr 5, 2022 - Software Engineer in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

OLIO is one of the best companies I have ever worked at. Despite being a remote-first company, I always feel very connected to both my immediate colleagues and to the rest of the company. Our flexible working policy is truly flexible, and I always feel like OLIO truly cares about me, my mental wellbeing, and my career progression. It is a pleasure to work alongside a team of such talented, caring, and mission-driven individuals.

Cons

We’re going through a lot of change at the moment which can be overwhelming at times. Also, it’s a minor point, but it would also be great if our employer pension contributions were a bit more than the legally required minimum!

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar 9, 2022 - Finance Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastically geared and structured for remote working. Inclusive and extremely mission driven by the end goal. Incredible team with a "walk-the-talk" attitude top down.

Cons

No cons to talk about.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Working at Olio I feel that I am really making an impact.

Mar 7, 2022 - Customer Satisfaction Agent in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission How inspiring the founders are How involved are the founders in the day-to-day The empathy and kindness of the whole team Ambition to grow and generate much more impact To be able to work in a company aligned to my purpose and to what really matters to me

Cons

Honestly, nothing. Maybe sometimes I feel it would be nice to have an office and work in person together with my team.

8. 5.0

Brilliant mission and team

Mar 7, 2022 - Head of International Expansion
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Brilliant team - smart and kind people - Fantastic founders - Flexible remote working - Fantastic mission - Best job I have ever had :)

Cons

I can't think of any.....! Before I would have said 'no office to connect with people in person' but we now have a solution for this as we are using Hubble for access to co-working spaces

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best work ever 🌟

Mar 7, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Mission-driven community - everyone is so committed. - Autonomy, trust, responsibility offered. - Roles can be dynamic, open depending on need. - Fun, communal work culture - Transparency on structure and developments

Cons

- Start​-up - some processes still coming. - Not yet got clear org-wide development / progression framework.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Friendly, supportive and mission-driven

Mar 4, 2022 - Tech Lead in Cardiff, Wales
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working here for around 18 months now and it's a genuine joy to be working with a team of helpful, driven and hugely capable people. Everyone is working towards the same goals and this manifests itself in deep collaboration and a real sense of succeeding as a team.

Cons

Fast growth means lots of change, which can be overwhelming

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews
</>Embed

OLIO Reviews FAQs

OLIO has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 48 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at OLIO to a friend and 90% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, OLIO employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at OLIO. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

90% of OLIO employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated OLIO 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at OLIO to be management, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be benefits .