ONEOK Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 September 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ONEOK President & CEO Terry K. Spencer
Terry K. Spencer

Pros
  • Great work life balance and plenty of opportunity to move around (in 5 reviews)

• Great Company, lots of encouragement for contract employees to apply for full time positions (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The one person is soo right about market based pay (in 9 reviews)

• Market based pay is well under actual market (in 8 reviews)

1. "ONEOK"

Pros

Great Culture. Really enjoyed benefits. Free parking and free health clinic a definite plus.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement. Limited opportunity for advancement. Limited opportunity for advancement.

2. "Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenks, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenks, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK (More than a year)

Pros

The people within the organization are amazing. Some of the greatest people I have met.

Cons

There are too many layers of middle management. They hire great people, then tell them to do things another way and don't value the front line's opinion.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the actual job.

3. "Engineer"

I worked at ONEOK full-time

Pros

This company has a great community of colleagues, offers generous time off, encourages a good work and family balance, plus solid insurance benefits.

Cons

Loyalty is rewarded more often than merit. Management should conduct internal reviews of managment as well as thorough exit interviews and act on suggestions for improvement.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Pros

Great work/ life balance with flexible work schedule.

Excellent Vacation/ Sick Time

Community involvement.

Cons

There are too many layers of middle management. The C-Suite seems to understand to cause of the many challenges within the current ONEOK culture. The first-line employees experience the layers of bureaucracy. The middle management (repetitative layers of VPs, directors & managers) are too concerned with filters communication rather than being leaders. Communication requires two passing information up & down the chain.

Market based pay is similar to government pay scale with the exception of no COL increases. This stifles the performance of top tier talent. Little reward for exceptional performance.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding "yes men"! Reward forward thinking strategic planners who can execute well thought out initiatives.

"Poor Salary Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)

Pros

Excellent CEO and Executive VP's. Great strategists who have kept the company in good financial condition during the industry downturn.

Sickness benefits and vacation policy are very good benefits.

Cons

1. The company is top heavy - there are too many Directors and Vice Presidents. Directors function as managers. 2. Below Director level, base pay is a big problem for many employees. The market based pay system, when designed, was poorly understood and many in top and mid level management believe the market rate, which is the average of what your competitors pay, is the maximum that employees should ever receive. They are very reluctant to let anybody make much more than the market rate. The upper half of the salary range - which is from the market rate to maximum - should be used too. It is for top performers who have considerable experience and/or expertise which adds real value to the company. The salary ranges themselves are actually competitive in most markets, but that doesn't matter if the actual pay employees receive is not.
    The formal, annual performance appraisal process was subjective and didn't tie to the amount of increase an employee received. However, doing away with it is a step in the wrong direction considering the compensation problems that persist at ONEOK. Pay and performance are tied together as far as employees are concerned. The formal, annual performance appraisal process should be improved so that it is not subjective but measures how well the employee performs the major functions of their job in quantitative terms. The "score" should then be directly tied to the amount of increase an employee receives. A lot of unfairness that occurs could be eliminated that way. There are not enough checks and balances on pay as it relates to performance.
    Top management needs to encourage the use of the entire salary range, not just the first half. HR needs to develop and provide the tools management needs to improve salary administration. HR should approve every pay action before it can go into effect, in order to ensure fairness. In my opinion, HR is currently a risk averse function, A major change in philosophy is needed to make it a true strategic partner that supports business needs.

Advice to Management

Audit where employees are in their salary ranges as it relates to their educational level and years of experience in their field, not just with ONEOK, and as it relates to their performance ratings in the past. I think you will find that you need to spend some money on corrective actions, but a lot of it could come from trimming the Officer rolls. Consider the suggestions in the section above, because doing all those things is what other companies get from their HR Departments. It isn't enough to develop pay plans to ensure external competitiveness, but not administer them to ensure internal equity. A consistent theme throughout the "cons" listed by current and former employees of ONEOK on this site is that pay is a big problem.

7. "It's a Job"

I have been working at ONEOK full-time

Pros

Ability to move up the chain quickly, so to speak, if you show any sort of self motivation. Annual reviews usually result in decent pay raises.

Cons

Always short staffed because it takes 6 months to hire someone. And while pay is decent, it is lower than the industry standard, and therefore retention is terrible.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful if someone could learn to lead. Please, someone make a decision already. Endless meetings with no results. Talk about inefficiency!

8. "Conservative, but stable."

Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor I in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ONEOK is a conservative midstream energy business headquartered in Tulsa, OK. Working at ONEOK isn't necessarily the most exciting job, but it does provide great benefits with modest pay. ONEOK does not believe in layoffs so as long as you perform to the expectations set for you, you should have no problem holding down the job.

Cons

The price of crude oil drastically effects the price of ONEOK's stock, and the price of crude isn't predicted to rise anytime soon, so there's that. Pay is below average for similar positions in the market.

9. "Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lubbock, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lubbock, TX (US)

I worked at ONEOK (Less than a year)

Pros

The company treats you like family and really cares about you even though they are a somewhat large company.

Cons

The work can be boring and unchallenging at times. I found myself having to fight just to stay awake while sitting at my desk all day.

Advice to Management

Make the work environment more engaging and more exciting somehow. This would improve working conditions and overall production in my opinion.

10. "OK"

Current Employee - Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Pipeline Controller in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at ONEOK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, great teams free coffee and nice CEO

Cons

No advancement opportunities. I have what it takes to move up but I am not in the cycle. The money is below market.

Advice to Management

I would love to see more money more of a bonus and better opportunities to move up

"Service Desk NOC"

Former Employee - Network Operations Center in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Network Operations Center in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at ONEOK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment great manager and team of employees/contractors. in the NOC .
    I can't say enough how well this team works together and is driven to resolve issues. They take on so many responsibilities.

Cons

I have no Cons from working in the Service Desk- NOC . Although the nature of the position is questionable it is being manned by contractors . This job although really fun to do won't go anywhere . Like most I.T. jobs in the Tulsa market it is only a service desk position. If you like that sort of thing then this is the place for you . but I found people usually burn out after 1 to 2 years. I think if more responsibility is giving to that team it would be more engaging for higher qualified professionals.

Advice to Management

Not sure I can offer any to the big Oneok.
    You have a strong NOC team build o it and your organizations network will be in really good hands .