OSTC Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 8 Nov 2018

3.9
OSTC Chief Executive Officer Lee Hodgkinson
Lee Hodgkinson
Pros
  • "Professional yet warm and welcoming work environment, everyone is very friendly and helpful(in 8 reviews)

• "Invaluable access to real-time trading conditions and the thoughts and experience of successful working traders(in 7 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Junior Trader - Brighton Office"

Current Employee - Junior Trader - Brighton Office in Brighton, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Insightful learning experience provided before employment at OSTC Brighton office. - Provide an appropriate base salary regardless of performance. - Professional yet warm and welcoming work environment, everyone is very friendly and helpful. - Great location and work/life balance, despite the longer hours experienced when compared to other careers. - A great boss, insightful and understanding.

Cons

- Some may find the long hours spend in front of multiple screens and seated quite tiring. There are no other cons in my view of working for OSTC.

OSTC2018-06-11
  2. "Trader"

4.0
    Former Employee - Trader in Brighton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to earn good money

Cons

Long working hours, long learning curve

OSTC2018-11-08

"Invests in talent. Hard"

Current Employee - Futures Trader in Brighton, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full-time trader in Brighton, managed by Sam Baker, the office houses a small group of intelligent and friendly individuals and makes for a great office environment. Emphasis on investing in talent, discipline and hard work, what you put into the job directly correlates with how much you get out of it. Being a trader is incredibly rewarding, however, expect long hours and hard work. The more you do, the longer your spend, the more you make. Despite this, the varied market conditions and fast-pace nature of the job coupled with the friendly environment in the office, make the hours fly by. I particularly like how I'm allowed to develop my own strategy based on my individual style and risk profile to tackle each market. Furthermore, unlike many propriety trading firms, OSTC offers a base salary allowing the individual to develop into a top trader whilst being to afford general living expenses.

Cons

Long hours and sometimes being glued to your seat depending on volatility in the market. Work life commitments can be hard to balance.

OSTC2017-03-29
  4. "A Challenging Experience for Those with a Trading Passion"

Current Employee - Trader in Brighton, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

- A challenging environment for those with a competitive attitude and a passion for trading. - Encourages discipline in employees with a lot of aid for self development. - Quickly given experience of the market rather than a long period of theory with little to relate this to as other firms offer. - Supportive managers that encourage and aid employees through regular reviews, as well as working as a trader alongside everybody else. - Friendly environment with each trader looking to help each other out. - Management is committed to developing each trader, with a heavy focus on the process taken and understanding the market with less on the result of a trade.

Cons

- Long hours - Would prove difficult for anyone lacking a passion in the job. - Steep learning curve that can prove intimidating to begin with.

OSTC2017-03-29
  5. "Great prop trading company for those who are interested in a long career in trading"

Current Employee - Futures Trader in Brighton, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the few prop trading companies around that pays a base salary which helps especially at the beginning of your career. Really friendly and helpful team with no real hierarchy. You are allowed to develop your own skills as a trader and find your own niche .

Cons

Can be very long hours but as long it's your passion then not really a con.

OSTC2017-03-29

"Great opportunity but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Commodities Trader in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to earn financial rewards that would be unlikely or best case take years to earn in other industries. Plenty of highs and lows in what is a very entertaining and involving career. Lively working environment which may not suit all but certainly makes the day go quicker and is preferable to more conservative offices I have worked in. Understanding employer with flexible working conditions once you have proven yourself. Management are very supportive, and personally I wouldn't have lasted in the job without their help and belief in me. The training given is very comprehensive and there is ongoing support and advice given by management and senior traders.

Cons

Potential employees need to accept that the job is not for everyone and that natural ability and flair are required as well as hard work. Whilst it is very possible to earn far more than in other jobs, it is by no means easy and a lot of people will not be suited to the role. Long hours and a lot of hard work are necessary to be successful, particularly at the start of your career. Office environment won't be for everyone, but seating plans are done according to "outgoing/quietness" of the individual and management are always happy to help with any issues. There are some limits to the type of trading strategies available at the start of the career, but these are there to protect the employee as much as the company, to prevent insurmountable losses being taken. Once proven, there is a lot more flexibility given.

OSTC2016-03-22

"great opportunity if you are willing to work hard for it"

Current Employee - Proprietary Trader in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-you get a salary from day one which is unusual for trading companies -no cap on bonuses -its not the job for everyone but if you can get to grips with it you can make a lot of money very quickly compared to other career paths -good perks - monthly drinks socials, swansea tickets, rugby international tickets, summer/xmas party -relatively young workforce so there's good banter in the office and a good social life outside the office

Cons

- long hours when you start but once you are covering your desk fees it becomes a lot more flexible -

OSTC2016-03-21
  8. "Not a conventional career but a unique opportunity"

Current Employee - Futures Trader in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid a salary (which is uncommon for the industry) to survive on whilst you find out whether you’ve got the ability, inventiveness and self-determination to make it as a successful trader. Pure Meritocracy – no office politics and all traders have the same opportunity as one another. Chance to make a life-changing amount of money in a short time-frame. Obviously not easy but the opportunity is there. Good access to a range of products that provides flexibility to try different strategies/systems and find markets that suit individual risk preferences and temperaments. Trading costs reasonable enough for most products

Cons

Nature of job, long hours and responsibilities means work/life balance can be difficult in the week. Ups and down of making/losing money can be mentally demanding Can get hungry if you get stuck in a trade and haven’t got any food

OSTC2016-03-21

"Good place if you are highly motivated"

5.0

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

Good place to make money if you are ready to put in the hard work. Flexibility comes with performance

Cons

Lack of clear direction. Lack of clarity wrt communication from the Management Long hours

OSTC2016-09-01

OSTC Response

September 29, 2016director of trading

Thank you for your review and apologies for the time taken to respond but as you know it is a very busy environment in which we work. We note your comments in the Pros section and agree that Trading is hard work but balanced against the opportunity for good financial reward. There is flexibility the longer you are trading as your experience and confidence increases so your trading portfolio will expand. We are concerned that you feel there is a lack of clear direction and written communication from Management. We suggest that you speak to your Office Manager and discuss these concerns as you need to be independent and take the initiative to investigate and research what you do not understand. The long hours I’m afraid are just part of this career.

"Only worth as a first job"

2.0

I worked at OSTC full-time

Pros

You learn the basics and how to work under great pressure. As a well known company, it is a good addition for a graduate CV.

Cons

The salaries for a full time position are those of an intern. The retribution does no compensate the responsibilities. There are no career development opportunities. You are expected to work 12+ hours long shifts

OSTC2015-07-20

OSTC Response

October 30, 2015Generalist | HRBP UK

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you found our training informative. Salary, bonus and working hours are discussed with each individual at interview stage. Trading is widely recognised as a performance based role and OSTC prides itself on its salary provision during each Trader’s training period. Career progression occurs in the form of Training, Live Trading, Expanding product portfolio, Senior Trader, Mentor and Business Ownership. Each trader’s career path is defined by individual ambition and performance, not by seniority or length of service. This adds to the competitive and flexible working environment at OSTC. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope your time at OSTC has helped shape your future career.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews