OSTC Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 3 Mar 2020

3.9
OSTC Chief Executive Officer Lee Hodgkinson
Lee Hodgkinson
Pros
  • "Professional yet warm and welcoming work environment, everyone is very friendly and helpful(in 8 reviews)

• "Invaluable access to real-time trading conditions and the thoughts and experience of successful working traders(in 7 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at OSTC full-time

Pros

Positive environment, passionate staff, friendly work environment, good development opportunities.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

OSTC2020-03-03
  2. "Junior Trader - Brighton Office"

Current Employee - Junior Trader - Brighton Office in Brighton, England

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Insightful learning experience provided before employment at OSTC Brighton office. - Provide an appropriate base salary regardless of performance. - Professional yet warm and welcoming work environment, everyone is very friendly and helpful. - Great location and work/life balance, despite the longer hours experienced when compared to other careers. - A great boss, insightful and understanding.

Cons

- Some may find the long hours spend in front of multiple screens and seated quite tiring. There are no other cons in my view of working for OSTC.

OSTC2018-06-11

"Former Trader"

I worked at OSTC full-time

Pros

Great Work Environment Good Social Events

Cons

Poorly Managed Below Par Salary Commitments

OSTC2017-11-28

"Great opportunity but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Commodities Trader in Swansea, Wales

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to earn financial rewards that would be unlikely or best case take years to earn in other industries. Plenty of highs and lows in what is a very entertaining and involving career. Lively working environment which may not suit all but certainly makes the day go quicker and is preferable to more conservative offices I have worked in. Understanding employer with flexible working conditions once you have proven yourself. Management are very supportive, and personally I wouldn't have lasted in the job without their help and belief in me. The training given is very comprehensive and there is ongoing support and advice given by management and senior traders.

Cons

Potential employees need to accept that the job is not for everyone and that natural ability and flair are required as well as hard work. Whilst it is very possible to earn far more than in other jobs, it is by no means easy and a lot of people will not be suited to the role. Long hours and a lot of hard work are necessary to be successful, particularly at the start of your career. Office environment won't be for everyone, but seating plans are done according to "outgoing/quietness" of the individual and management are always happy to help with any issues. There are some limits to the type of trading strategies available at the start of the career, but these are there to protect the employee as much as the company, to prevent insurmountable losses being taken. Once proven, there is a lot more flexibility given.

OSTC2016-03-22

"Huge conflict of interest , don't really care about trading progression or even how really to trade"

2.0

I worked at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good office banter, manager was a good laugh fairly flexible working environment

Cons

Salary is peanuts about £13k for 60 hour weeks , very few people actually make money except the management as they get huge rebates on your volume , don't really care how you trade as long as you are doing volume , no trader progression , training was rubbish , no investment into further qualification , your trading is restricted massively , can't really take views on markets as their intraday focused , basically bid offer , 90% of the traders in the office have a risk reward ratio of about 1:6 , bit of a muppet company really

OSTC2014-05-20

OSTC Response

October 30, 2015Generalist | HRBP UK

Thank you for your review and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our office environment. Salary, bonus and working hours are discussed with each individual at interview stage as we aim to make our colleagues aware of these details before launching a career with OSTC as the structure does not suit everyone. The OSTC model recognises an employment demand from graduates who wish to avoid the time and expense of accounting qualifications, preferring to start a profitable career immediately. In response to your comments we will look to ensure our communication on this is more thorough during recruitment. As a performance based role, Trader progression is based on personal achievement not on length of service. The same opportunities are achievable no matter what level of experience or seniority. OSTC is recognised as a major liquidity provider by global exchanges with over 150 million lots completed this year. The relationships developed with these exchanges benefit all individual Traders at OSTC by providing access to competitive rebate schemes. I would like to clarify that management are not financially remunerated based on Traders’ volume. At OSTC each Trader’s performance statistics are bound by strict internal confidentiality. Management and Traders are encouraged to create an environment where knowledge sharing is seen as key. Traders do not have access to their colleagues performance results. We are sorry to hear you did not find your time at OSTC a productive start to your career and wish you the best with your future endeavours.

"Good for a start only"

Current Employee - Senior Trader in Mumbai
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive mentors, decent infrastructure, healthy working environment with colleagues, great place to start in global markets

Cons

The company focuses on very low risk strategies and over-focuses on volume which hampers the traders ability to take quality trades. Only trades in futures. Gender ratio in the Mumbai office is poor. Good place to start and continue for a while, not for a very long term career. Work life balance is poor averaging to 60 to 65hr per week, but this is prevalent in every trading role. So this one is really not a con.

OSTC2019-06-03

"Not a really bad experience"

Current Employee - Junior Trading Analyst in Mumbai

I have been working at OSTC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment, Instils a work ethic culture, Good Salary + Bonus

Cons

Long working hours (not really a con though), Disturbed work life balance

OSTC2018-12-09
  8. "Great place to be a trader"

Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at OSTC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fixed salary + increasing bonus (the more you make, the more % you get). Access to all exchange traded products and freedom once you show strong results. Career opportunities: if you are good, you may end up being a manager/partner. Great work environment. Performance measured in individual basis.

Cons

Decentralized: being in the offices with the best managers can make the difference specially at the beginning. Working hours. Short Training. Few career exits outside the business, but you should know this if you want to be a prop trader.

OSTC2013-08-19

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews