OVO Energy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
OVO Energy CEO Stephen Fitzpatrick
Stephen Fitzpatrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free breakfast, on-site gym, good bonus structure" (in 24 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is excellent and everyone is treated like adults" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "There was no consistency among the team leaders towards what you targets should be for that day" (in 7 reviews)

• "If you work in the call centre, you'll be targetted under a scorecard - a series of dials that gives you a number to rate your performance" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Dual fuel engineer"

Current Employee - Dual Fuel Engineer in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Dual Fuel Engineer in Exeter, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Breakfast card, tools, bonus rewards, work life balance, great management. Honestly the best company I've worked for a great team..not to mention the amazing social events within ovo

Cons

Start salary hopefully will go up in line with the industry. But saying that the package is all round better than any company in the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I love this company

4 Jul 2018 – OVO HR

Thank you so much for your review!

It's always great to hear how our team out in the field feel rewarded and engaged. You're right in terms of the overall package - we want to give people the... More

2. "Not as good as they say they are."

Former Employee - CSA in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - CSA in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet there are great, lots of incentives for meeting targets. Great looking office.

Cons

OVO Seem to promise the sun and not deliver, constantly changing processes and launching new products which their systems cannot handle. They expect your scorecard to be 'in a 3' at the end of probation and if not they sack you on the spot. They also keep changing thresholds on the scorecard and have a habit of breaking it. This is what happened to me, I failed to pass probation after they did something to everyone's scorecard and it ruined mine. Management do not care and they are too busy socialising with other management. Also be aware that If they do sack you, no one will touch you for two years after. They're also making redundancies, which I and a few others believe is an excuse to just fail peoples probation and have cheap labour.

Advice to Management

Swallow your pride and actually listen to what csa' s are saying. They are the first to know if something is wrong as they're on the frontline. Stop spending every working hour hanging out with best mates and focus on the CSA's in your team!

3. "Decent but weird"

I worked at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Pays well and generally nice, fun, bright culture

Cons

Weird personality cult around CEO, it negatively impacts the company how unchecked his authority is and he has a weird circle of very loyal but quite dim early employees who operate above 'the law'.....bit like a kleptocratic gvmt

4 Jul 2018 – OVO HR

Thank you for your review.

We have an ambitious, innovative and passionate workforce and appreciate the work every single person contributes to OVO. Where employees have concerns about anything... More

4. "Performance Coach"

Current Employee - Performance Coach in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Performance Coach in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, free breakfast, young and talented work force. Generous salary and bi annual bonus scheme.

Cons

No cons I can think of

6 Jun 2018 – OVO HR

Hi there and thank you for your review!

We're so glad you enjoy working for OVO and the benefits on offer. We're always looking for suggestions on how to improve so please do let us know if you... More

5. "8 reasons why i would never work here again"

I worked at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Nice office, free breakfast, casual dress

Cons

1. At the time I left, Management was nonexistent. For over two years the company was constantly being restructured which led to a really toxic environment to work in. You didn't know who was in charge of what - managers were coming and going every five minutes and people were put in roles they had absolutely no training for. You never knew if you were going to still have a job the next day. As many others have said, people in this company have slippery shoulders and don’t take responsibility for their mistakes.

2. When I first started, I was proud to be part of such an amazing team but when the company grew, the positive, helpful, can-do attitude changed to be ‘every man for himself’. There was an enormous amount of politics, bullying, name calling and backstabbing, with cliques forming that closed ranks to other people. This attitude spread through the company like a plague. I was quite frankly horrified by how quickly it all went downhill. People got promotions because of popularity rather than merit and hard work. By the time I left, morale was rock bottom and people were leaving like rats from a sinking ship. I don’t know if they still are but it will take a lot of time, work and effort from management and HR to undo the damage, and make people feel some sense of security and stability again.

3. The whole thing was a mess: Staff turnover was high. The management structure was broken. Workflow was chaotic. Communication between Bristol & London was poor. Communication between management & minions was pitiful and job security was low.

4. The rewards scheme was a joke - bonuses were partly based on company performance, partly on how well you reached your targets. When 90% of your job is reactive and you keep getting pulled off work you're supposed to be doing in order to do something else, it is impossible to set or meet targets. I missed out on 3 lots of bonuses because of this system.

5. All the fun stuff and all the support happens in Bristol. If you want to make use of any of the career advice, training, counselling or mindfulness services, and your role means you have no reason to go to Bristol you can forget having any of that.

6. the work was not fulfilling. The company tries to run before it can walk. You're frequently expected to drop everything to work on a new idea, you get a decent way through it and then it's shelved without warning or dropped entirely, and then your team is criticised for not being further along with the original project you were working on. This is particularly present in the dev team. it is frustrating and demoralising.

7. As others have mentioned there is a real cult aspect to ovo which is perhaps the most alarming and off-putting aspect of the place. if you're not happy and smiley and cliquey, watch out! Its like the film 'The Circle' there, with 'organised fun' that's totally not compulsory but will be reflected in your review if you don't attend. If you are not down at the pub with people after work it will be brought up in your review that you are not being a team player. Despite the fact it is out of hours, and you're not getting paid to be there. Ovo expects you to put its family over your own. Yet volunteering to take on extra work from a colleague who didn't have time to do it themselves is not commended but actually criticised as you taking away an opportunity for them!?

8. I was so unhappy during my final year of ovo for all the reasons I’ve listed above that my depression came back for the first time in a decade. As others have said, If management discover you have any form of mental health issues, they will find any reason to fire you. They are not supportive. When I finally revealed I had depression, I felt like I was on trial, with weekly reviews with two of the management staff 'checking in' on me and analysing every single thing I did down to emails I sent and interviewing colleagues to try and get them to dish some dirt on me. Being treated like a criminal on parole made me feel 10x worse, not supported at all! My ability to do my job was absolutely not an issue - The ONLY reason I told anyone I had depression was to explain why I had been a bit quiet for the past month. The quality of my work never waivered, I still did the work of 3 people and I never missed a deadline. I genuinely felt at times as though they were trying to set me up in order to get rid of me. When they couldn't actually find a reason to fire me they made me redundant instead. So I suppose I at least got something positive out of the experience.

Advice to Management

Sort out management.
     Get good people in who care about the work not just themselves and their own careers.
     Get some support services up to London
    stamp out of this weird cult attitude where teams are impenetrable cliques. it is not healthy and doesn't make for happy workers.
    Stop trying to look like Google to impress people who give shiny awards and try doing right by the people who work for you

"Avoid This Company At All Costs"

I worked at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

No pros to me found in this company

Cons

This company is not an ethical employer in any sense. They tell you to bring your personality to the OVO "family" but you will soon find out that as soon as you are employed by them, all that changes. They sell you on a brass ring that you will never attain and promote a drinking culture and consistent parties where they will even reward staff with bottles of wine and spirits because they want to be seen as a cool place to work. There is blatant racism and during my tenure there, every Black person was put on a 1 year probation and multiple persons of colour, were made to feel inadequate because even with extensive experience, they were never considered for promotion or other open positions. They foster a separatist and bullying working culture where you understand that there is a hierarchy established and you're not seen as a team player because you don't go out drinking almost everyday after work. The way they deal with racial issues is sweep it under the rug and you're told that you dont talk about any incidents outside of work and if you do then you're sacked. They fired a girl because she spent too long on the phone helping an elderly lady who's credit ran out and she couldnt get out of her door due to mobility issues and the fact that it snowed heavily so she had no heat. Their excuse?? "She should have found someone to top up for her and she wouldnt have this issue." The person was sacked an hour later and was escorted out in front of everyone and shamed. I dont recommend this place to anyone. With a founder that is more concerned about being considered to be a top 10 employer and spending company money on crazy parties, its no surprise that they have the reputation they do. Avoid at all costs

Advice to Management

Understand how to treat people. Allow your staff to grow rather than hold them back because they arent the same colour as you are.

22 May 2018 – OVO HR

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback for us and we would like to respond to some of the concerns you've raised.

We take allegations of racism very seriously and we have... More

7. "Good company to work for, management unorganised"

I worked at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Good employee benefits
    Staff are looked after
    Good Christmas and summer parties and socials
    Great office
    OVO provides funding for clubs and sports activities
    Good progression

Cons

Management keep changing their mind on ways of working, means that things aren't efficient
    No-one knows whats going on as everything keeps changing

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it.

29 Mar 2018 – OVO HR

Hi there! Thank you for your review! We are always looking at new ways of working so that ultimately we can provide a better service for our customers and as their needs change, so do our priorities... More

8. "Meter engineer"

Current Employee - Dual Fuel Engineer in Stoke-on-Trent, England
    Current Employee - Dual Fuel Engineer in Stoke-on-Trent, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the on boarding process there are a lot of promises made and for the first couple of months all is well.

Cons

A wolf in sheep's clothing, massive amounts of travelling with no leeway on productivity, absolutely no compromise, unrealistic work load for amount of travel when sub contractors are working in your local area, restrictive bonus scheme.

Advice to Management

Listen to engineers.

9. "Great place with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people with a constant can do attitude towards customers.

Cons

The pace of change can be a bit crazy at times.

29 Mar 2018 – OVO HR

Thanks so much for your positive review! Agree with both your points here - we always want to ensure we're putting the customer first which drives innovation and new ways of working and as a result... More

10. "A Great place to work"

Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, they make that company what is is!

The working hours.
    The pay.
    The benefits.
    The training.
    The extra investment the company makes in charities(especially local).
    Flexibility and support, they will do what they can to make your role as easy as possible for you.

Cons

Same as any call center/energy company job, it's not the most enjoyable work in the world.

Progression opportunities were slowed and backlogged during my employment.

29 Mar 2018 – OVO HR

We're so pleased you felt this way about working at OVO! Flexibility is certainly something we want to encourage throughout the business.

With a growing and ambitious contact centre at times... More