OVO Energy Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
OVO Energy CEO Stephen Fitzpatrick
Stephen Fitzpatrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free breakfast, on-site gym, good bonus structure (in 21 reviews)

• Work/life balance is excellent and everyone is treated like adults (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very fast paced which means constant change but that can also be one of the best aspects too (in 10 reviews)

• There was no consistency among the team leaders towards what you targets should be for that day (in 7 reviews)

1. "Keep up the good work"

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, friendly culture, stacks of perks

Cons

I have none that I can think of

29 Sep 2017 – OVO HR

Thanks for your review! We really appreciate you taking the time to tell us you enjoy working at OVO and that you feel we have a good culture & environment - these are areas that we feel are so... More

"Intresting"

Pros

Good pay
    Free breakfast
    Benefits are good
    Flexi fund
    Parties
    Plenty of overtime

Cons

Can be hard if you don't fit the Ovo mold
    Too much braise for the look at me people
    Getting managers to listen to you can be difficult
    Don't call it flexi time its not

Advice to Management

Look at the people who just work we do exist

3. "Fantastic place to work and grow."

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The buildings and the people make for a great working environment. The benefits on top of salary are desirable including the opportunity to purchase extra holiday. Flexible working hours are brilliant.

Cons

I must enter at least 5 words for cons.

29 Sep 2017 – OVO HR

Thank so much for your positive review!

We're really pleased you enjoy the flexibility around working hours - this is something we think is so important for individual wellbeing and encouraging a... More

5. "Excellent employer"

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Free breakfast, on-site gym, good bonus structure.

Cons

Progressing to other areas of the business can be difficult

29 Sep 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled you feel we're an excellent employer.

We hear your comment around difficulty moving around the business. In fact it's something that came out of previous... More

"Not a healthy working environment."

Former Employee - Customer Operations Administrator in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Customer Operations Administrator in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office. Good benefits. Gym in basement. Friska in office. Flexi time (if your in the right job) good bonuses (see more info in Cons)

Cons

Easy to get comfortable.

TL and managers promote favourites and friends ahead of more deserving candidates.

Unless you shout about how great you are you are sidelined.

Mangers will often block progression if they don't like a member of staff

Too many legacy managers who haven't gained the skill they need to be good at their job.

Will often keep people in probation longer than they should be.

Bonus scheme sets staff to complete against each other and not to share information. Also massively based on how much of a kissass you are.

No sympathy for health or mental health problems. Pushed out as fast as possible.

Very cliquey environment. If you are seem to be "OVO" enough then you have no chance of success.

Not a good of healthy working environment.

Lower level staff are often bullied by those higher in the food chin.

Advice to Management

Stop bragging about what a great place Ovo is and try and make it a great place.

Treat staff, all staff, equally. TLs, managers and upper management are not more special than the entry level jobs. You would have no business without everyone doing the jobs that's everyone else at Ovo looks down on.

24 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you for your review. Here at OVO we do believe in rewarding hard work and recognising strong talent. That's why we have a robust bonus scheme in place as well as 'Reward Steps' which is... More

"Slightly artificial environment. Job doesn't match the role applied for."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, quirky and good location. Decent basic pay

Cons

Long training program, hipster environment, long days, too informal. Lacks professional approach

Advice to Management

Use a clearer structure, more professional environment, ensure job description matches the actual role.

9 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you for taking the time to give a review. We're glad you like the office!
    In terms of the training program for Customer Services, we have done our best to ensure it's as robust as possible to... More

"Relaxed modern feel"

Current Employee - Smart Metering Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Smart Metering Engineer in London, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company looks after you pretty well, good incentives, no pressure on what to wear and people in the office are nice

Cons

I haven't experienced any problems so far. Everybody is quite young in the office so I don't think an elderly person would fit in so well.

9 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Hi there! Thanks for your review.

We don't have a dress code as we want people to feel comfortable when they come into the office to deliver their best work. In line with our equal opportunities... More

"Generally a Pretty Good Gig"

Current Employee - Industry Ops Technician in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Industry Ops Technician in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast everyday (fruit, toast or cereal). Free coffee machines (in the industry operations building).

No strict dress codes, can wear your own clothes (within reason).

Heavily discounted food & drink at Friska (very good cafe nearby & inside Rivergate office).

Flexi-time and hours - arrive between 8 to 10am & leave between 4 to 6.30pm. Option to take a half an hour lunch and leave half an hour early.

Subsidised gym membership & private Ovo gym.

As much over-time as I could possibly work, all paid at least time and a half plus further incentives for achieving overtime targets. No pressure to work this but I know it's there if I want it, which is always good.

Good bonus structure provided you meet targets (normally around 10% of annual salary, though this can go up or down depending on the company multiplier).

Both team leaders and managers tend to be very relatable and understanding. I get the feeling that the managers I have had here genuinely care about how I am doing and want me to progress.

My role is always allowing me to learn new things and develop new skills.

Clear reward steps so you always know what the next level is.

Regular social events.

Both the offices in Bristol are modern and really centrally located.

Cons

Too much emphasis on the "Ovo values" ideology when hiring. Might sound a bit callous but it seems we've had quite a lot of people taken on in our department because they've been travelling around Asia or taught English in Uruguay - but they don't have any solid or relevant work experience.

In some cases they're not able to handle the work or the office environment and quickly leave. Other times they'll stick around for a few months just about getting by until they have the money to go travelling again.

The job we do in Ops can be very tough. It would lead to a much better environment if Ovo hired people who were a bit more career orientated and had a good track record of resolving difficult issues, dealing with numbers etc. This would be better for morale as people would actually want to be here and be invested in the role and better for Ovo as people wouldn't need to be replaced constantly.

Advice to Management

I've actually been with Ovo for quite some time now and for the most part, I'm really happy working here. One thing that would be nice would be to see bigger pay jumps between reward steps!

4 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you very much for your review. Great that you feel there are so many positives in working for OVO - the working environment, work life balance opportunities and wellbeing of our employees are... More

10. "Ex-retail ambassador who misses working for OVO"

Former Employee - Retail Ambassador in Stafford, England
    Former Employee - Retail Ambassador in Stafford, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good positive vibe, where all of the employee ambassadors felt valued and had a great rapport with managers. Would work for them again in a heartbeat.
    Redundancy package was excellent and beyond what the company was honoured to oblige.

Cons

A little bit more honesty when rumours are flying around that turned out to be true soon after.

Advice to Management

The rumours about retail closing began in the first week of January but flatly denied by HQ. I advise that HQ needs to either be more honest or disguise intentions more efficiently than they had in the future.

4 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you for your review and we’re glad that you enjoyed your time with OVO! We certainly never want rumours to go around and we always communicate any news as soon as we possibly can once decisions... More

11. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked as a CSA for many years now and I must admit that although very fast paced and demanding, OVO does try its best to ensure your are doing well (physically, mentally and at work overall) but this tends to vary from manager to manager. Hard work is valued and recognised so it is appreciated to see that although demanding, it does bear fruit.

Cons

8 hours on the phone can get monotonous and very demanding, specially during winter

Advice to Management

make CSA support more consistent across teams, it makes no sense that doing the same job and performing just as well, the results vary depending on what team you are on and who your manager is

9 Aug 2017 – OVO HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
    We agree, OVO is a fast paced company and we're faced with challenges each and every day and we recognise that everyone who comes... More