OVO Energy Employee Reviews about "free breakfast"

Updated 14 Oct 2020

3.2
OVO Energy CEO Stephen Fitzpatrick
Stephen Fitzpatrick
Pros
  • "free breakfast (toast and cereal)(in 45 reviews)

• "Ovo Energy cares about their employees(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "A good measure of an employer is how they treat you once they no longer need you, and Ovo was 5/5(in 33 reviews)

• "Company can be very fast paced which is not for everyone(in 16 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free breakfast"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "OVO"

5.0

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Free breakfast (and lunch on a Friday) Manager who is keen to help with my development Lots of opportunity to iterate Flexible working - WFH is common

Cons

None at the moment

February 27, 2020The People Team

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to write a review - awesome to hear you're enjoying working for OVO :) We're you're taking advantage of the flexible working policy - we work hard here, and understand that giving a bit of flex with your working hours can help your work-life balance. Thanks!

2. "decent"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

free breakfast was always tasty

Cons

I guess the place was cliquey

Continue reading

"Good workplace, not great pay"

4.0
    Current Employee - Ops Technician in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Great youthful and agile culture, attractive open-plan offices filled with plants and greenery, great colleagues, team leaders are generally approachable and genuinely care about you as a person. Enjoyable to work here, good compensation outside of pay (e.g. in the form of 4% of your salary extra being made available for tech, bikes, health plans etc), free breakfast, in-office gym for £10 a month with varying classes on top, half-priced lunch, OVO tops up 3% extra on top of your pension. Did a good job moving to homeworking. Outsourced mental health support line 24/7 and trained mental health first aiders within office. Christmas, Easter, Halloween and summer parties. Easy access to ergonomic equipment with no fuss, inc standing desks if required; desk chairs cost about £1000 and are very comfortable. Themed meeting rooms. My team is friendly and everyone respects each other; there used to be some minor issues of toxicity but this has largely gone due to people leaving and joining - though this will vary between teams.

Cons

Management seem to prioritise the outward appearance of the company over how satisfied its workers are and pay doesn’t increase yearly at all alongside no bonuses for the last two halves. Laying off 2,600 staff members was pretty dodgy. I've heard working in Care is quite stressful and bad; Ops tends to be a lot more chill. The upper management also seems to prioritise income over the wellbeing of its staff based on the decisions they make, such as scheduled breaks for care agents and ramping up smart meter installs despite ongoing issues with smart. They also outsource cheap work to South Africa, which seems at odds with their "morally good" branding.

4. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Director in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company, values driven, dynamic, good people focus, fun, good gym, free breakfast, transparent leadership, inspirational owner.

Cons

Hard work, people don't clean up after themselves in the kitchen, toilets need a spruce up.

January 8, 2020The People Team

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review! It's awesome to hear you enjoyed your time with us and felt how much we do care about our people and values. At OVO we encourage the visibility of the company's progress and vision, and this is shown in the monthly Town Halls we hold in both our London and Bristol offices. This gives everyone in the company a chance to ask the leadership team any question they have. You are right in saying it is a very busy work environment here, which isn't for everyone, but something that others thrive off. This is why we provide lots of benefits and encourage people to have fun in the office, and provide lots of support within the Wellbeing sector for employees to take full advantage of. Culture and People are what we are renowned for here at OVO, and we will be continuing to build both during our future growth. That's what makes us OVO. Good luck in your next adventure!

5. "Not bad"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of great employees A lot of perks (gym on site, discounted Friska, free breakfast, pool table, fruit) A lot of opportunity to speak your mind and have questions answered in company wide meetings Many opportunities for career progression are readily available

Cons

Daily responsibilities are monotonous and aren’t rewarding A lot of manual work for things that should be automated Pay isn’t great

October 1, 2019The People Team

Hi there, We couldn't agree more - the total rewards package here is awesome. The gym on site is very handy and there are gym classes morning, lunchtimes and evenings too. Our Town Halls have recently introduced a tool that means people can not only ask questions on the day in person but anonymously ask any question they want too. The Town Hall speakers will answer as many as they can, and as you have seen every question gets answered - the Q&A docs are on published on the Kitchen Table if you need to catch up. We are always looking to continuously improve our processes here, so if you have any suggestions please feed them back to your line manager as they'd be glad to hear it. With regards to pay, we review our salaries each year by using external market data including other company’s salary survey data to make sure they remain competitive. We do this market benchmarking by using a well respected advisory company to compare our salaries and ensure they remain at market rates. We hope you continue to enjoy your time at OVO and wish you all the best in your role!

"A Popularity Contest..."

1.0
    Former Employee - CSA in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free breakfast, % off at Friska, good bonus scheme (if you can live up to its expectations)

Cons

It appeared to get anywhere you needed to be popular, rather than it being based on how hard you worked. Majorly cliquey..and forced fun. 6 week training with only 5% actually being helpful in the role.

October 23, 2019The People Team

Hello, I'm sorry to hear your thoughts. We have reward steps in the Customer Service area which is a progression and reward framework that helps you increase your earnings through your personal performance The training in Customer Service is 6 weeks due to the technical abilities needed for the role and to give our employees confidence when they are on the phones to our customers. Throughout the training we cover how to deal with different situations that you might face as a Customer Care Agent and how to give great service. We wish you all the best in your future roles Thanks

7. "Decent call centre job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free breakfast, opportunity to volunteer in the local community. Good benefit system

Cons

Management need mental health training. You might be smashing it but unless you've made pals with the right people you remain unable to move up the chain.

June 21, 2019People Team Coordinator

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review! It's great to hear you enjoyed our benefits system, this is something we have worked really hard on and pride ourselves in giving the 4% flex fund to everyone, once passed probation. We take mental health within the company very seriously and have trained 15 members of staff to be mental health first aiders and have champion working groups, with people from across different areas in the business influencing and implementing positive change for mental health in the workplace. We believe in recognising and rewarding people's hard work and aim to make OVO a great place to work. We work closely with our Team Leaders, ensuring they have the tools they need to provide each CSA with the support they require and improve consistency across teams. We also have reward steps for those wanting to develop further in Customer Service, and performance reviews with bonuses every 6 months. If you have any suggestions regarding the performance review process I would advice flagging to your line manager.

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Advisor in Bristol, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free breakfast, toast, cereal and fruit Cafe in the atrium Friendly workplace Free tea and coffee Central Bristol Great transport links Great support for mental health and charities

Cons

Progression is the reason I'm thinking of leaving. I've more than proven myself capable of a promotion and I've been outsourced to 6 different departments, yet when I get to interviewing for another department the door is slammed in my face. I don't like being timed to go to the toilet.... The shift pattern I work is unsociable and the request to change shift pattern can take months to authorise due to backlog

June 21, 2019People Team Coordinator

Hello and thank you for your review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the benefits we provide here at OVO and appreciated the support and change we are trying to influence around mental health. We have many progression routes here at OVO and I really encourage you to feedback any suggestions to your Line Manager or Operations Manager. We have break planners in place in some areas so that we understand how many Advisors we have on the phones ready to take customer calls but we do not time toilet breaks. We wish you all the best in the future.

"Horrible management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great building free breakfast good benefits scheme

Cons

Very hard to progress unless your friends with the right group.

"Business Development Manager"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, free breakfast, cool offices, flexible working

Cons

Pretentious, toxic culture, high competition among staff/lack of team spirit (unless you are from the kitchen table era), people operating in survival mode. Worked there for almost two years - kept zero contacts. Mostly men in senior management- lots of mansplaning and talking over you.

June 21, 2019People Team Coordinator

Hi and thank you for your review. We are glad you appreciated our working environment, we pride ourselves in creating a creative and inviting workspace for people to be in. We are sad to hear your views on the senior management here at OVO. OVO signed the Powerful Women's Pledge and Time To Change Pledge to ensure we are aligning our goals and values to encompass everyone and create an open and honest environment to work in Here are the links for the Powerful Women Pledge (http://powerfulwomen.org.uk/pledges/) and Time To Change (https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/) for reference.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 English Reviews