OVO Energy Employee Reviews about "ovo"

Updated 19 Nov 2020

3.2
OVO Energy CEO Stephen Fitzpatrick
Stephen Fitzpatrick
Pros
  • "free breakfast (toast and cereal)(in 45 reviews)

• "Ovo Energy cares about their employees(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "A good measure of an employer is how they treat you once they no longer need you, and Ovo was 5/5(in 33 reviews)

• "Company can be very fast paced which is not for everyone(in 16 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "ovo"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Energy customer advisor"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ovo Energy cares about their employees

Cons

Na na na na na

March 27, 2020The People Team

Thanks for your review - pleased to hear you're enjoying your time with us :)

2. "Great place for learning and development"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

OVO is a great organisation for anyone looking for true commitment to growth in their career. From day one I had a Development Programme and my manager was proactive in helping me reach this and making sure I had the opportunity to do so. They're very big on internal mobility as well, so push for people to try out new career paths. The focus on climate change is also a big factor in why I like working here, and they have a great culture and community amongst staff

Cons

The pay isn't the best and I feel you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a pay rise when deserved

January 13, 2021Employee Engagement Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback. That’s great to hear you value the commitment we have to our people and that our focus on reducing carbon emissions really resonates with you. You’re right - we are big on internal mobility! We’re about to launch our leadership qualities programme that will give everyone the opportunity to develop their skills and talent with us. This will clearly define the attributes needed to progress and gives people and their managers a benchmark of best practice to aim for, so keep an eye out for that. We’re sorry to hear you feel that way about the rewards we offer - Please have a chat to your People Business Partner.

"Was dream job, ended up stressed to bits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people at OVO are genuinely lovely, highly capable and enthusiastic. There's some really inspiring, talented people to learn from, and I learned a lot at OVO. Flexitime is good.

Cons

Inept prioritisation at director level means different departments are constantly blocking each other. Stuff only gets done through sheer stress and panic. There is a mental health committee who try their best but without a coherent strategy at the top level, everything hangs together by strings, leaving employees overworked and terrified of dropping the ball. Pay is well under average.

Continue reading
  4. "Vibrant workplace, opportunities to develop"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Administrator in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team spirit, loads of opportunities to develop key skills through OVO University (short courses, talks), and Team Leaders are always on the ball to offer help and advice in performance.

Cons

There can be a lack of variety in the job.

October 13, 2020Head of People Engagement

Thanks for your feedback - we're glad to hear that you're enjoying the development opportunities we have and our great team spirit! Please have a chat to our People team about variety in your job - they'd be more than happy to help.

"Going Backwards"

Current Employee - Field Team Leader

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Prepaid card for buying lunch

Cons

* have worked for OVO for 3+years and loved it however the Business has taken a huge backwards turn in the last 6 months with the SSE takeover. It is fast becoming a micro managed and Negative place to work. Placing the SSE management back into the same positions at ovo has meant we have lost our culture- That flexibility to be bold and forthright and trust leaders to make a difference has gone. I equate it to having a nice sports car and a friend that has crashed 7 cars and giving them the keys to have a drive.

Continue reading

"Expectations are very high"

Former Employee - Complaints Handler in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits, the potential for progression.

Cons

its really about who you are friends with. Make any critique and your potential is overlooked. Some individuals reach a level of management that they clearly weren't ready for and it has a negative effect on the whole department. OVO has a culture of not raising issues and painting a picture of everything being fine when it isn't. A very kneejerk reaction style of management rather than looking for issues before they have a damaging effect.

Continue reading

"Good workplace, not great pay"

Current Employee - Ops Technician in Bristol, England

I have been working at OVO Energy full-time

Pros

Great youthful and agile culture, attractive open-plan offices filled with plants and greenery, great colleagues, team leaders are generally approachable and genuinely care about you as a person. Enjoyable to work here, good compensation outside of pay (e.g. in the form of 4% of your salary extra being made available for tech, bikes, health plans etc), free breakfast, in-office gym for £10 a month with varying classes on top, half-priced lunch, OVO tops up 3% extra on top of your pension. Did a good job moving to homeworking. Outsourced mental health support line 24/7 and trained mental health first aiders within office. Christmas, Easter, Halloween and summer parties. Easy access to ergonomic equipment with no fuss, inc standing desks if required; desk chairs cost about £1000 and are very comfortable. Themed meeting rooms. My team is friendly and everyone respects each other; there used to be some minor issues of toxicity but this has largely gone due to people leaving and joining - though this will vary between teams.

Cons

Management seem to prioritise the outward appearance of the company over how satisfied its workers are and pay doesn’t increase yearly at all alongside no bonuses for the last two halves. Laying off 2,600 staff members was pretty dodgy. I've heard working in Care is quite stressful and bad; Ops tends to be a lot more chill. The upper management also seems to prioritise income over the wellbeing of its staff based on the decisions they make, such as scheduled breaks for care agents and ramping up smart meter installs despite ongoing issues with smart. They also outsource cheap work to South Africa, which seems at odds with their "morally good" branding.

"Surplus to requirement."

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The feel of the office is that of a college campus, so it doesn’t feel like work. Being Bristol, the people are friendly, if a little preachy. The social aspect of working at OVO is good, but I suspect that’s more to do with the Wetherspoons round the corner and less to do with the company.

Cons

You are encouraged to hit targets to work towards a bonus, that then gets taken from you. When you raise your disappointment you are told ‘at least you have a job’ and then, when you think it can’t get worse, your job is up for redundancy and the company can’t even get a decent organisational structure to show if you’ll have a role or not. For a company that had a 25% investment by Mitsubishi and just became the second biggest energy company, it seems odd that financially, the team are recompensed for it. Although let’s be fair, no one is working at OVO for the money.

9. COVID-19

"Lost trust in your company"

Former Employee - Administrative in Perth, Scotland

I worked at OVO Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Could be good if it wasn’t all talk, put your staff and customers first. Not the money making CEO

Cons

We were recently taken over by OVO, we were in SSE and promised no job losses by the CEO. COVID-19 came as a good excuse for 2500 redundancies. No trust what so ever I’m the company and I’ve chosen to leave before I’m made redundant .

July 8, 2020The People Team

Hello, We're sorry you feel this way. We very much put customers and our people first and believe that is behind the success and reputation we've earned to this point. We have been incredibly sad to make the recent changes. We had planned to make changes following the acquisition and had been open to doing so. COVID then impacted as it sadly has for a great many organisations. We're sorry to hear you've chosen to leave and hope you find what you're looking for in your next role Thanks

"False promises"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at OVO Energy part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked for SSE - where there was good pay and flexible shift patterns. I have had several good team managers.

Cons

OVO took SSE over last year and promised there would be no job losses. 2600 redundancies have just been announced. I’m unsure you can trust a company who back tracks on promises like this. Poor communication from OVO to SSE staff. A lot of outsourcing of departments to other countries (Philippines, South Africa).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 61 English Reviews