Ocado Technology Engineering Manager Reviews

Featured Review

Probably the best company to work for during the 2020s

Nov 9, 2020 - Software Engineering Team Lead in Sofia
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Great culture - "There are no dumb questions", "Everyone makes mistakes", "Make it work, then make it pretty", "Challenges are well accepted" * Visible Impact from the work that you're doing - On many of the projects the CEO and other high-level management are recognising the work that you're doing. * Great people work here - passionate and motivated to achieve great results!

Cons

* I can't think of cons at the moment.

6 people found this review helpful

Communications Associate

What a great review! We're incredibly pleased to see employees loving their work. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

Apr 29, 2021 - Engineering Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, company that's growing fast, lots of impressive work happening, smart & enthusiastic & motivated colleagues, great work/life balance

Cons

Promotion process can be sluggish, compansation for UK roles not quite comparable with London market

Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! It’s great to hear that you enjoy working at Ocado Technology. Regarding your comment about remuneration, we would like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into ensuring our total packages are competitive for each region that we operate in. Thanks again!

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture, rapid growth

Mar 22, 2021 - Engineering Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ocado Technology has put a lot of effort into defining software engineering and product owner/manager roles, and provided clear expectations. I found the culture to be one of the best of all the companies I've worked at, though it is fair to say that some departments are further along in this space than others. Leadership is accessible and friendly, as is everyone else. People are always willing to help. CI/CD and development tools are maturing constantly, OT is ahead of many organisations in this place.

Cons

My experience was generally very positive.

Communications Associate

Thanks for leaving a review! We’re so pleased to hear you had such a positive experience at Ocado Technology.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Engineering Team Lead

Apr 11, 2021 - Engineering Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, no deadlines, nice career progression path

Cons

Poor salary, Chaotic WFH environment

Communications Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Regarding your comment about salaries, we would like to reassure you that we put a lot of effort into our total packages are competitive for each region that we operate in. Thanks again.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work!

Nov 13, 2020 - Head of Engineering in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Ocado so far. - Lots of variety of work (I've moved between different areas and roles a lot) - Deeply interesting domains - Gained some very good friends - Learned from some exceptional people - Good support - "Get things done" attitude - A fair amount of autonomy in most areas - Generally data driven in decision making

Cons

- Some Ocado Technology wide decisions weren't communicated well, with reasoning unclear - Sometimes the balance between technical quality and delivery speed is pushed too far towards the latter, which has a short term benefit and a long term cost.

Ocado Technology Response

We're glad to hear you think Ocado Technology is a great place to work! We have recently invested in more tools to allow us to better capture feedback from our employees, and this feedback has highlighted how important the communication of strategy and goals are for our employees. Our leaders are focusing on this area, and are finding better and more interactive ways of sharing our organisational, stream and departmental goals. We hope this will enable our employees to better understand the business direction, as well as better understand the decisions we make (and why we make them!)

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Exciting company which promises a huge global influence in years to come

Jun 5, 2020 - Engineering Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work with a massive scale - our work will impact the lives of millions of people globally. Great culture has kept me happy at Ocado for many years. Good benefits, my favourites are the sliding hours policy allowing me the flexibility to start any time before 10 and finish any time after 4 provided I do the contracted 8 hours of course, and the ability to have parcels delivered to work. The staff discount on groceries has saved thousands over the years. The share incentive schemes have also been very lucrative due to Ocado's performance on the stock market.

Cons

You might look at the head office location as a con - it's in Hatfield which is a short way out of London. For me though, the commute from London zone 3 out to Hatfield is much more pleasant than it would be going the other way.

Continue reading

Senior PR and Communications Manager

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very good culture!

Nov 11, 2020 - Engineering Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good culture. Great team. Inclusive environment. Decent rewards.

Cons

The office building is missing 'Google-style' features. Why there is no slide to the canteen??

Continue reading

Ocado Technology Response

Thanks for your review, we're glad to hear you appreciate the culture and the working environment. Feel free to feed any suggestions back to the team.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company that care for the tech and the people!

Jun 8, 2020 - Software Engineering Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

What I prefer about Ocado is the people in it. Very smart and always supportive of each others! The company gives us a lot of trust which leaves us with a lot of autonomy to work.

Cons

Since there is now an Office in London, there are very few Cons in my view. I sometimes find that there is a bit too much to do for the time I have.

Communications Associate

Thank you for your review, it's brilliant to hear you're still passionate about working at Ocado Technology after all this time.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great culture and interesting projects

Feb 6, 2020 - Software Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture, inclusive , interesting new technologies, fast paced, sensible working hours

Cons

Chaotic management structure, project manager estimations are always wrong

Communications Associate

Thanks for reviewing – great to hear you're still enjoying working with us after all this time!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Feb 19, 2019 - Software Engineering Intern in Hatfield, East of England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice people and technology to work on.

Cons

Location is a bit boring but very close to London.

Social Media and Content Lead

Thanks for the positive review! For anyone thinking about commuting between Hatfield and London, we offer free season ticket loans for the train, a free shuttle between the station and the office, and free parking. Ask your recruiter for more information.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews