Ocado Technology Reviews

Updated 13 Jul 2020

4.1
Ocado Technology CEO James Matthews
James Matthews

"Rapidly growing, good for career growth"

4.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time

Pros

Rapidly growing with recent deals and maturing tech stack, which is good for career growth. Plenty of training available which is encouraged. Staff discount on food shopping bill.

Cons

Food shopping discount is capped to £20, which is nowhere near the 15% quoted, for a typical family of four.

Continue reading

"Work here if you want to be humiliated on a daily basis."

1.0
    Former Employee - Technology in Hatfield, West Midlands, England

I worked at Ocado Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

nothing I can think of, honestly.

Cons

- A lot of harassment, bullying and undermining. - Micromanagement to extreme. - Calls every five minutes. - Whatever you do, it does not matter how well you do it. What matters is whether you are liked. And being liked does not depend on how nice or competent you are. It depends on how threatened your line manager feels about not losing their position to you. this was the case for me. - You are probably going to feel lonely here. - Not a friendly atmosphere. - I found spending days in this company was the best recipe for depression. - you might be called on your phone just to be shouted at for no reason, I was. No apologies were given. - been called many disrespectful names. No action was taken. Retract your application to save your sanity. My best advice.

June 25, 2020Communications Associate

Thanks for raising this – it's very concerning to hear you feel that you've had this experience. It is entirely at odds with our business culture and our management policies. We would really like to arrange a conversation with you to investigate this and take appropriate action. Please email your HR Business partner and be assured any information you provide will be kept in confidence.

3. "Great company to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time

Pros

Amazing future growth promise in industry with advances in technology

Cons

The need to scale up in short time has led to interesting challenges with internal ways of working

May 20, 2020Communications Associate

Thanks for sharing your review – we delighted to see you say we're a great company to work for and that you're excited about the promises of growth in our industry.

4. "Good job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Welwyn Garden City, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing potential for future roles in company

Cons

Big company loosing small company feel

5. "Great company to work, but expect a roller coaster ride."

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Automation Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very interesting problems, and great people to work with

Cons

There are too much organizational changes sometimes.

April 23, 2020Communications Associate

Thank you for leaving your review. It's great to see that you're still enjoying solving some of the technical challenges working at Ocado Technology brings after all this time.

"My worst experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England

I worked at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are in the right department it is a fun company to work for with interesting challenges. Relaxed culture and growing business.

Cons

Ocado tries to benchmark itself against FAANG companies but the package they offer is not even close to them. 15% Ocado discount is a nice thing to have but overall perks are quite poor. If you work for infrastructure teams the culture is toxic. It is a gigantic startup and departments are in constant fight between each other in that area. I can understand why especially young people love Ocado so much which is true if you are not part of Ocean.

May 22, 2020Communications Associate

Thank you for sharing your feedback – it's been passed on to the Infrastructure General Manager to review. We're concerned to hear you had this experience as it's not the culture we try to foster; if you have any spare time, please message our HR team with additional feedback, as we'd like to investigate this thoroughly.

7. "Best company I’ve worked for."

Current Employee - Security Analyst in Hitchin, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time

Pros

If you work hard you can progress with no limits in the company. I have ongoing health problems which have been tough but Ocado Tech have supported me so much.

Cons

None to speak of. I really can’t speak well enough about Ocado Tech.

April 23, 2020Communications Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, and for the positive feedback. It's great to hear that you're enjoying working at Ocado Technology.

8. "Very interesting projects"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Welwyn Garden City, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good life/work balance Interesting work and some freedom to pursue ideas

Cons

No Bonus to the employees

April 23, 2020Communications Associate

Good to read your feedback and that you're still enjoying working at Ocado Technology, thanks for your review.

9. "Great culture and interesting projects"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company culture, inclusive , interesting new technologies, fast paced, sensible working hours

Cons

Chaotic management structure, project manager estimations are always wrong

April 23, 2020Communications Associate

Thanks for reviewing – great to hear you're still enjoying working with us after all this time!

"Ocado Values = Tool to limit free speech and opposing opinions"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hatfield, East of England, England

I have been working at Ocado Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some very talented and helpful coworkers. - Nice building. - Good money for the amount of work.

Cons

I could talk about minor annoyances like the lack of coordination between teams, lack of well thought-out long term strategy and confusing processes, but there is actually one much larger problem lurking around this company that every new starter should know about before getting into this place: That is, if you like free speech and actually making a difference instead of being a puppet, you will hate this place. It doesn't matter how nice and helpful you are to other people and it doesn't matter how politely and constructively you disagree, you will be told to be silent. Not in these words of course, you will rather get a sh.. sandwich. They will very politely sit you down and make you go through the "Ocado Values", making you log your time and go through each minute, comparing it to the official checklist. Did you disagree with your leader's exact commands? You lack trust, which is an Ocado Value. Big mistake. Which is ironic, given that trust is impossible in this company. They successfully created an environment where even if you have a friendly discussion in private with a teammate, whatever you said there you might hear it back later as a complaint against you. Not to your face of course. This makes everyone walk on eggshells all the time, especially people with more unstable circumstances or a family who cannot afford to lose their jobs. Which is the majority here. On the other hand, if you don't care about things like this, you just want to sit around with a headphone, fix some bugs at a very comfortable pace and not have to have any of your own input or say about things, you basically have nothing to worry about. So it really depends on your personality.

Found 146 reviews