Octopus Energy Reviews

Updated 13 May 2021

4.7
Octopus Energy CEO Greg Jackson
Greg Jackson
Pros
  • "Octopus Energy is really defined by its start up status(in 11 reviews)

• "Even working from home I still feel apart of the wider team and company as a whole cloud based technology to communicate(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is growing very quickly and at the moment requires a lot of hard work whilst the company matches inbound volume with recruitment(in 5 reviews)

• "There is a lot to learn at first but there are so many people to ask for help so isn't a negative if you are prepared to put in the work(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Love my job

20 Nov 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Really great people all around. Pretty much everyone who joins is a good fit even if they’re all different kinds of developers - Lots of difference types of work and opportunity for development - Freedom to make decisions including design decisions - Generally a high standard of coding (we have lots of documented conventions which means our code looks nice and is well structured) - Team atmosphere. Someone is always willing to help out and there is no competition. - (In normal times) Friday evening get together with drinks - Regular socials

Cons

- Rapid growth means structures aren’t quite in place yet (though it’s actively being worked on) - Working more with external clients means there are more pressures coming in from the outside and we lose some of what makes us “us” - There used to be a bit more freedom in terms of what things you’d like to work on whereas now it’s a bit more prescribed

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Lovely

11 May 2021 - Metering Specialist in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, Nice management good offices

Cons

None that I can think of

3. 5.0

Octopus Energy Recruitment Process

10 May 2021 - Energy Specialist in Brighton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The whole interview process has been a challenging but great experience! I also got to work with Tayla from Instant Impact who supported and guided me through the whole thing. I felt so confident and relaxed. She was truly incredible and highly recommend! As for the different team members I got to meet during the Discovery Day, everyone was very fun and welcoming, it definitely took the generic ' interview' vibe away and created a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

No cons at all. Was overall a great experience

4. 4.0

Energy Specialist

20 Apr 2021 - Energy Specialist in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Genuinely lovely people to work with, who are always willing to help you. - Learn so much through working on all aspects of an account - Open approach with management where you can offer feedback and it is taken on board - Communication platforms have been great during the lockdowns

Cons

- The people chosen for Team Leaders seems like they are in that position due to time in the company and not skill - As it is a growing company, it feels like there is little preparation for some changes that have a huge impact on the workload for energy specialists. - It is hard to create work/life balance at times as it is a very fast environment with some pressure - The pay could be a lot better for the job you are doing

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Energy Specialist Recruitment Review

3 May 2021 - Energy Specialist in Brighton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great new experience. Tayla from Instant Impact was amazing! She was very informative about the process, gave great feedback and tips, and was just so lovely. Same goes for everyone involved from Octopus! Just a bunch of easy going friendly people! I was a bit anxious going into the virtual discovery day but you just get preoccupied with tasks at hand & Octopus team puts you at ease.

Cons

Process has quite a few steps but it's supposed to reassure everyone involved (including yourself) that you are a good fit for the role and Octopus.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Just got hired by octopus energy !

5 May 2021 - Customer Service in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Molly was amazing at helping me get the role I've been wanting for ages. She was very enthusiastic, positive and polite throughout the whole process. She reminded me of a primary school teacher in the sense that she was so loving and saw the best in me. Great thanks to her ! The discovery day was very structured/organised and fun to attend.

Cons

No cons as haven't started working yet.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Engaging Recruitment Process

30 Apr 2021 - Energy Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have just been through their recruitment process which is engaging and offers multiple opportunities to show why you are well-suited to the role - beyond what is written on your CV. Really good blind process working with Instant Impact - Tayla in particular was really friendly and offered some great advice.

Cons

Did feel that interviews were a bit repetitive at points as you explain things to multiple different people. Definitely needed to brush up on GCSE maths for the psychometric tests.

8. 5.0

Incredible Company

23 Mar 2021 - Team Leader in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easily the best company I've ever worked for. They genuinely care for their employees and invest in your development. You will meet friends for life here. Couldn't see myself working anywhere else; it's hard work but I feel extremely blessed to be here. Amazing people, inspiring CEO, supportive managers, loads of benefits (company shares and huge socials, drinks and food every Friday). People often join Octopus at their lowest point and grow in confidence and happiness in the months and years to come.

Cons

- Workload is very high; you need good time management to keep your head above water - There will be times you do have to work past 530 (but there's a company Deliveroo account you can order from if you do) - Pay could be higher than competitors, but they more than make up for it with the company shares

9. 5.0

Great experience

30 Apr 2021 - Energy Specialist in Leicester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great and thorough hiring experience. Mollie from instant impact was amazing! Everyone is super friendly and makes you feel at ease. Constant communication and updates at every step of the process. The interview process required a lot of research however the more you put in the more you get out.

Cons

There are not any cons, you just need to research the role and the company to get an understanding before you apply.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rigorous but rewarding process!

15 Apr 2021 - Energy Specialist in Brighton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thoroughly enjoyed the discovery day that octopus offer! Really interesting and fun to meet the current employees and do various customer service and research based tasks. Tayla at Instant Impact made this whole process much easier and gave me great tips, reassurance and advice throughout, so HUGE thanks to her!

Cons

A lot of stages to the recruitment process, however only took a week from first step to job offer so the stages will move quickly and each of them are interesting. Psychometric tests where quite challenging, so make sure you revise thoroughly!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 145 Reviews