Odysseys Unlimited Reviews

1. "."

4.0
    Current Employee - Computer Services Specialist III

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time

Pros

It’s a good company to work for

Cons

Micro managed By the management

2. "Truly a great place to work"

Current Employee - N/A in Newton, MA

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love it here.; the people are great, the atmosphere is relaxed (without being unorganized), and you aren't micromanaged. I prefer to come in, do my job, and go home, without having to report every single thing I'm doing to my manager - and that's my life here (I would assume this varies from dept. to dept. and only as long as you're meeting your deadlines). The Human Resources department is very fair - I came from a company who played favorites, but Odysseys truly weighs out everything to make sure things are fair, which is appreciated. Also- the benefits are great!

Cons

While some of the company outings and special events can be really great, I find myself wishing the company would put some of that money towards bonuses or some sort of compensation for the employees. Not many people in the company make a ton of money, so to have a Christmas bonus or higher salary would be more appreciated than one of the wellness classes or company lunches (that being said, I still appreciate the outings and the work that goes into them). Also, the option to work from home once or twice a week would be IDEAL. For those of us who have really long commutes and jobs within the company that can be done 100% from home, it would really make a world of a difference to be able to have that option.

October 10, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are happy to hear that you love the working environment at Odysseys! We hear and appreciate your constructive feedback regarding company events. We continue to strive to be a great place to work and believe in creating an inclusive and healthy environment that fosters community and wellness, which is why we put such a focus on events that bring us together and provide opportunities for personal development. We are mindful of the cost of these programs and we don’t let them impact our compensation practices. Also know that we take each review to heart and will continue to evaluate work-from-home options and other benefits as they impact the needs of our employees. Again, thank you for your comments. – Caitlin C, Supervisor, Human Resources

"Great company with great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Odysseys’ views employees as their most valuable resource. I truly feel supported by my manager and know my thoughts and ideas are valued. We have an open dialogue in regards to my professional growth and I feel supported in my career path. Management understands the value of their staff and decisions are made based on what is most beneficial to the employees. There are various examples of this from the great benefit package to company sponsored events. My favorite is the chair massages and pedometer contest! Everyone is very friendly and there is a positive atmosphere when you walk into the office. They value hard work and believe in promoting from within. Odysseys’ truly believes in a work life balance with 37.5-hour work weeks and a generous time off policy. As a travel company, they encourage employees to use their time off to experience the world.

Cons

The company has grown quite a bit over the past few years. With the continued growth, it has been hard to maintain the small company vibe, but management does a great job to stay connected to employees.

August 23, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your Odysseys’ experience with us. We appreciate your kind words and are happy to hear you feel supported and valued. We will continue to listen to feedback and strive to find ways to keep employees connected. Please continue to take advantage of chair massage and we look forward to another great pedometer contest in 2020! – Danielle P, Director Human Resources.

"Not the best fit for growth"

Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, travel perks, and a decent amount of experience working in the travel/hospitality industry. CEO Bruce Epstein is a very personable professional and amazing at what he does.

Cons

Growth is at a standstill which is dependent on your department. It’s best to start as a Travel Counselor and work your way up to a department that you want to grow in. Also FAMs aren’t every two years as advertised when you first become employed. Some departments get to travel more than others. Company culture is okay and all, with company lunches, random events and the annual double Christmas party that happens. Cliquey behavior was quite uncomfortable as it made social events outside of work interesting and quite uneventful at that.

August 28, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your positive feedback along with your advice to management and comments about career growth. Growth can vary within departments and based on the needs of the business. Currently we are experiencing healthy growth with more opportunities and are committed to promoting from within. We do truly value all our employees and keep raising the bar with enhanced benefits, salaries, social activities and events to keep pace with what our employees are seeking. We appreciate your 8 year tenure and do realize that as a smaller company we may not meet all employees’ career expectations. Please know that we will use your feedback, as well as that from current employees, to continually learn, evaluate, and make changes as needed. – Claudia S. Executive Vice President

"Wonderful place to work!"

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time

Pros

Those working at Odysseys Unlimited truly care about their employees and colleagues. Management understands the concept that if you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of the business and its customers. Quality standards are high and I feel good about the tours and service we provide to travelers. There are many opportunities to grow within the company for those willing to put in the time and commitment. And benefits just get better and better the longer you stay! Benefits go beyond the traditional 401(k) company matching and medical insurance (which are extremely competitive!) and include charity events, the opportunity to give back to our community, fresh fruit (it’s the little things), wellness programs focused on mental and physical well-being, as well as company lunches and bonuses. I’ve enjoyed my time at Odysseys so far and I look forward to continuing on my career path here.

Cons

Fortunately, there aren't any from my perspective!

"Not for me"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous time off, flexible schedule (department dependent), competitive insurance plan. FAM trips a nice perk but not competitive anymore (1 FAM trip every 2-3 years depending on dept.); The work was easy and people friendly. HR department sticks to open door policy and are willing to listen to concerns.

Cons

Salary not competitive (department dependent), company spends too much money on wellness program which prevents employees from being paid more (and not all can/want to take advantage); depending on which department you work for your experience could wildly differ, many positions open up due to high turnover and growth but they are lateral moves so no pay increase despite higher workload and responsibility; some senior management are unwilling to adapt to change within the company/refuses to learn new reservations system/hate technology; growing within the company takes a LONG time and usually only title change and salary increase but no actual growth in responsibilities (there are supervisors in company who do not supervise anyone); depending on dept. yearly reviews are late and employees are expected to figure out own path of growth and ask for more work on their own; a lot of job is dedicated to covering for coworkers since everyone is always taking advantage of all the time off. This is a social company, everyone knows each other and hangs out after work, but it also means that some departments are cliquey and don't take their work seriously and spend a lot of time chatting. There is a lot of drama and gossip within the company and gets passed around like it's high school. You can actually walk through the office and see many people shopping online instead of doing work. People take advantage of lax time stamp program and take longer lunches or hour-long coffee breaks plus lunch and no one cares. I think the company prides itself on being easygoing, but this encourages others to slack off and makes the company seem unprofessional. Not saying this is inherently bad, but it's not for me.

July 19, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. While we wish your experience at Odysseys had been different, as a company, we remain committed to our employees and value them highly. It doesn’t sound like you feel that was your experience, which is disappointing to hear. We are focused on our company culture built on mutual respect, friendliness, hard work, caring, and collaboration; opportunities for growth and advancement; offering a competitive salary and benefits package; and events at work that bring us together, as well as those to help us stress-less and learn. Please know that we will use your feedback, and continue to solicit feedback from current employees, so that we can remain aware of different perspectives, evaluate, and make changes as needed. There is always room for improvement and learning from our employees. -Danielle, Director Human Resources

"Great people, benefits, and interesting work"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Newton, MA

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people here are wonderful. I've met a ton of friends here and we hang out outside of work all the time, and everyone that I've worked with is smart, professional, and easy to get along with. The benefits package is really competitive, with great health care, a nice flexible schedule, and solid time off. Also, the work we do is super interesting, as I've learned about the history and culture from places all around the globe just from working here.

Cons

It's not a huge company so there aren't many structured opportunities for promotion, depending on how big your department is.

July 19, 2019Director, Human Resources

It sounds like writing about history and culture from around the world isn’t a bad way to spend your days! We’re glad that you’ve found your experience at Odysseys to be a positive one. Thank you for posting. -Sue, Vice President Marketing

"Department Dependent - beware"

2.0

I worked at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary is decent, benefit package is unbeatable. Great co-workers, friendliest HR staff. President is a nice guy, but he won't know bother to learn your name unless you've been there for years.

Cons

The way each department is treated and valued is wildly different, as well as the management styles in each dept. If you land in a dept with poor mgmnt, you will be talked down to constantly and overly-criticized. Don't dream of voicing your own opinion. On top of this, they make no attempt to adapt for the current work environments. No fun perks offered, not even happy hours. Turnover is crazy high in some depts. Lateral moves only, promotions are very rare.

May 20, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for the positive remarks about our benefit package and our employees. Providing a variety of activities and events where our employees can get together is a top priority for us, from parties that celebrate successes and special occasions, like our annual holiday party to a wellness program that includes mindfulness meditation, chair massage, and more. In addition, we sponsor fundraising events that give our employees opportunities to support local charitable organizations, such as our Walk for Hunger team and annual Holiday Project. As a company, we truly value all our employees and each department. We know that we could not provide the level of quality and service that we do without the contributions of everyone here! Additionally, we support our supervisors through our ongoing Leading Your Team professional development program. This year’s program is focused on giving our supervisors additional tools to provide the support and opportunities our employees deserve. We do hear you in regard to streamlining training, and are happy to announce that we are currently developing a corporate training program that should do just that. As a company, Odysseys is committed to promoting from within. While we provide opportunities to move laterally within the company, we also have many promotions – and all reflect our desire to continue to support our employees’ development and success. With our continued growth, we hope to continue this trend while maintaining our average tenure of 5+ years. Thanks again for your candid feedback! -Danielle, Director Human Resources

"Excellent company with strong leadership and competitive benefits"

5.0

I have been working at Odysseys Unlimited full-time for less than a year

Pros

Odysseys is lead by an experienced management team that values the contribution of each employee and recognizes and rewards achievement with bonuses, promotions, and travel and development opportunities. The company nurtures a professional, positive, and supportive work environment in which the owner puts our employees and our travelers ahead of the bottom line while continuing to be highly successful. This philosophy starts from the top down and is truly a unique thing in the business world! The salaries and benefits are competitive and the company offers perks such as fresh fruit deliveries and chair massages, as well as routinely celebrating employee milestones and company successes.

Cons

Continue to be open to change and new ideas.

"Good Company!"

I worked at Odysseys Unlimited full-time

Pros

- Great perks (FAM trips, benefits, e.t.c.). - Great job for recent college grad looking to get into the hospitality sector/industry.

Cons

- Salary is on the low end and not competitive within the job market. - Upward mobility is at a standstill in most departments.

Found 22 reviews