Oliver James Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.7
Oliver James Associates Managing Director James Rogers
James Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Joining Oliver James Associates was definitely a positive career move for me" (in 38 reviews)

• "I've been working before in the leading international brand-name RA and can say with confidence, that Oliver James Associates does make difference" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with any recruitment role we work long hours" (in 33 reviews)

• "Working hours / core hours are enforced very rigidly with little flexibility" (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I have worked for!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An organisation that thoroughly invests into their staff - on a personal and a professional level. Culture is corporate and competitve but in a very positive way, driving consultants outside of their comfort zones and ultimately making the most out people. Which obviously means more money... Company events are arguably OJ's biggest selling point, with Christmas and Summer parties at the envy of all of my friends and ex-colleagues + further corporate days throughout the year. Furthering the social aspect, Free Drink Fridays, EVERY Friday, are a great way to unwind and socialise with colleagues outside of the office environment.

Cons

The only negative that springs to mind is long hours - but that's recruitment. It's no worse than competitors on this front and working hours are very clear and transparent. There is no "face time" expectation outside of those hours which you will likely expereicne in other organisations

Advice to Management

Carry on with what you are doing..

2. "Inspiring leaders, comprehensive training and the best parties"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Literally the best office space in every city location
    • Approachable senior leadership team
    • Team of serious high achievers - good mentors and knowledge of the market is exceptional
    • Genuine opportunities to relocate to overseas countries with OJ
    • Fast career progression and the support that makes it achievable is the best I’ve experienced in my career
    • Company events are unreal and a great opportunity to meet colleagues from all European offices
    • Working in senior specialist markets means earnings far exceed the norm in the North - decent commission structure
    • Friday drinks are great
    • Gym lunches make all the difference

Cons

No downsides worth mentioning that are different to any other businesses within recruitment

Advice to Management

Keep the environment you have - don’t go down the heavy KPI’s route in the future, the approach you have right now is spot on! Bring back the races for the spring event - that was so much fun!

3. "Supportive, Inclusive, Encouraging, Motivating company to work for."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The Group MD's are friendly and extremely good at what they do. They work in and around our office, speaking with the consultants and taking interest in their staff.
    - Every consultant is performing to a high ability, a lot of serious billing/skills which junior consultants can learn from.
    - Fast track progression - company supports and encourages it as we're expanding rapidly with new offices year on year.
    - Global, reputable company to work for. We are known in our markets, and exceptional at what we do. International relocation is also encouraged for proven billers with set criteria.
    - Transparent and clear commission scheme, all based on individual performance.
    - Exciting social calendar, regular seasonal events with European offices so everyone is on first name basis throughout offices. Very important for the culture of a business of this size which is continuing to grow.
    - Low turnover of staff, most consultants who join OJ do not leave - unless leaving the world of recruitment and on good terms with OJ.

Cons

- Hour and a half given to Gym-Goers on lunch time - maybe extend this to those needing to run errands in town(bank appts,doctors etc).

Advice to Management

As we grow, continue to invest in the companies culture.

4. "Manager"

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Excellent inclusive culture, fantastic incentives, great company events, dedicated and passionate owners.

Cons

Working hours / core hours are enforced very rigidly with little flexibility

Advice to Management

Keep you the good work but show more flexibility around working hours.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training for recruiters without any experience
    Good place to cut your teeth as a junior
    Staff entertainment is good

Cons

Overly KPI driven - call times 3 times a day
    No real opportunity to earn 6 figures, desks are too saturated.
    London office lacks managers and leaders
    No flexibility with hours/how you plan your day

Advice to Management

Listen to negative feedback and make changes. Excellent platform but as the business has grown, the more it turns into a high street recruiter with lots of in-experienced recruiters

Oliver James Associates Response

21 Jun 2018 – Marketing

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear that you feel Oliver James is a good environment for juniors to cut their teeth – thanks in no uncertain terms to our award-winning Learning... More

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oliver James Associates is an excellent place to work; my colleagues are friendly, professional and hard working. Ensuring the recruitment process is handled impeccably is deep rooted into the OJ philosophy.
    Since joining it was evident all consultants strive to provide the best possible service - this in turn means candidates and clients at OJ are always put first, which leads to an enjoyable collaborative working environment.

Cons

Long hours but that is recuitment

Advice to Management

n/a

7. "Director"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic culture - everything revolves around improvement, efficiency, success and reward

Cons

Rapidly evolving business (for the better) which some people cannot keep up pace with

"Recruitment"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England

I worked at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with good values and lots of opportunity for career progression

Cons

long hours during 3 days

"Supportive Culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance for operational staff is great
    Stakeholders and senior management are very involved and are easily approachable /accessible.
    Good bonus structure
    Recognise and reward hard work
    Company parties are the best I have ever experienced
    Personal touches like birthday, Easter and xmas presents are a nice treat

The main pro about OJA is that they like to reward their own, they recognise hard work and skill and allow operational staff to grow and develop which is rare for a sales company. Promoting people for their strengths and allowing their career to develop is why I feel so many of the operational function stick around. People in operations just don't leave here.

Cons

Listen to staff more when making decisions that effect them. Big project work should be decided with managers/teams not in an boardroom with just directors. The people doing the do need to be involved more to enable them to understand why its happening and to encourage their teams to believe in what we are rolling out.

Oliver James Associates Response

29 Jan 2018 – Marketing

Thanks for your review and feedback, it's great to hear your comments, these will be fed back to the senior management team here at Oliver James.

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Oliver James Associates full-time

Pros

Meritocratic environment, rewarded for the work you put in.

Cons

Inflexible and long working hours.