Oliver James Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated Aug 20, 2021

Found 44 of over 366 reviews

4.5
Oliver James Managing Director James Rogers
James Rogers
Pros
  • "OJ cares about it’s people and it cares about performance - suits me perfectly(in 46 reviews)

• "The staff are rewarded for their hard work- lots of staff entertainment(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours, but you want to give it your all(in 73 reviews)

• "Long working hours and stress to hit KPIs (expected in any recruitment jobs), but you are encouraged to take breaks)(in 30 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Jun 16, 2020 - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Oliver James for just over one year and it is by far the best company I have ever worked for. There are many company benefits including weekly Friday drinks, regular staff events that bring everyone together, and extended lunch breaks so that you can go to the gym. They invest a lot into their staff and provide excellent training as they genuinely care about staff development.

Cons

It can be a challenging environment as it is very target driven and the hours are long, however, the benefits outweigh this, and hard work is rewarded

Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear you are enjoying your time at Oliver James. We wish you every success in your role with us.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A brilliant and inclusive recruitment company to work for

Jun 16, 2020 - Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great support in promoting females in the business. Each year the business holds an event for International Women's day and are continuously striving to have an even ratio of females to males in the business. Along with having more female Directors than in other businesses I have worked at previously. The business welcomes those who want to develop whether it be in Sales or Operations. If you have a vision of where you want to go in the business the Directors fully support you- along with having our own Learning & Development team who are always offering constant support and training. The staff are rewarded for their hard work- lots of staff entertainment. The Managing Directors care about the staff and therefore hold huge summer & Christmas events across the group. Having worked for another recruitment company in the past I hadn't received the same staff incentives as we do at Oliver James.

Cons

No huge cons- obviously working within a hardworking and competitive environment is expected for a recruitment agency, but that's something I personally like.

Marketing

Thank you for your review. We are always working hard to ensure Oliver James is a diverse, equal and inclusive place to work, so it’s great to hear your feedback. We are happy to hear you are enjoying the training, incentives and summer/Christmas events. We wish you every success in your role with us.

3. 4.0

Positive, Supportive Culture

May 21, 2020 - Associate Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

In-House L&D Team are a great asset to the company, I started with no recruitment experience and felt very supported in my first few weeks in the business and they have helped me develop since then. From Day 1 I was able to hit the ground running and start making commission. Success is achievable with hard work and celebrated in the office. This is very motivating. During the last few months of being in lock down, I have been made feel very secure in my position.

Cons

If you aren't prepared to work hard then you will not be successful here

Marketing

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear you are taking full advantage of our in-house Learning and Development team and feel you are constantly developing. We wish you every success in your role with this.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

The world is your oyster

Sep 17, 2019 - Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a graduate, choosing my first role and employer was important to me. I was particularly attracted to Oliver James Associates due to its people first and foremost, the business’s values and ethos, the growth plans and the prestige of the firm. I joined in 2015 as an Associate Consultant and through hard work, being part of a successful team in Manchester and with the support of the leadership team was promoted through the ranks year on year to Manager, having been given lots of opportunity including to build and grow my own desk and even move to New York! The business is meritocratic and truly lives by its values of being the most trusted recruitment firm globally. I have enjoyed working closely with and learning from the leadership team and being part of the leadership team consequently myself where my ideas were listened to and implemented. I couldn’t recommend a better business to a budding recruiter seeking to progress and develop his or her career. I left the business a couple of weeks ago and this was down to relocation and to try something different; I was able to do this through the doors opened to me by being part of the OJA family for nearly 5 years. Finally, the OJA has a great L&D team (as well as a vibrant social atmosphere and company events!) and a good commission structure rewarding hard work.

Cons

No major disadvantages to note - constant hard work is expected, so if you are lacking commitment, then it’s not the place for you!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Inspiring Business, Great Mentors, Unparalleled Opportunities

Aug 15, 2019 - Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

In a pretty saturated recruitment market, Oliver James Associates stands shoulders above their competition. Approach towards business is strategic and intelligent, training and development of all staff is paramount, and the investment they make into technology, office environment, staff rewards and wellbeing is unrivaled. With so many businesses struggling or making cut-backs it's refreshing to be part of such a pioneering and growing company.

Cons

The company is getting big, but this is not a business that you can expect to hide and be average in. It's tough to get a job here, and you have to be committed to working hard, but you will find yourself surrounded by some of the best recruiters in the market, who will inspire you to push yourself harder and with that will come exceptional earnings and promotional opportunities - just look at how many Directors have risen from consultant level during their career here. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset they will back you and you could be the next Director opening a new location.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Brilliant company

Jan 24, 2019 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Uncapped individual commission which after speaking to friends in recruitment Ive realised is far above market rate - Fast track progression and management opportunities for those who prove themselves as capable - Friendly and sociable environment, yes everyone works hard and is here for the same reasons (to make money) however you’d be surprised at how caring and down to earth the people are here - You might think the training at your current company is decent however in reality it just won’t be comparable. It was one of the reasons I moved from my past company as a consultant and it didn’t disappoint - Global relocation is encouraged - I’ve been surprised at how receptive clients and candidates are to speaking once you say where you work - this is due to the professionalism of consultants here and excellent reputation worldwide - Great infrastructure, systems and processes as well as the back office function - makes it easier to provide a great service and saves you a lot of time so you can get on recruiting!

Cons

Not really a con as such but advice to those thinking of applying - They strive for excellence and are always breaking records so it naturally can be very hard work and a lot is expected. They will try to push you to be the best you can be so you’re one to coast along and aren’t truly ambitious this opportunity probably isn’t for you.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A fantastic choice for those with a career focus

Sep 19, 2018 - Marketing, Operations in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Oliver James is the first company I've worked at where, when they say hard work and dedication is rewarded it actually turns out to be true! With progression plans in place for everyone across sales and operations, regular promotions and a focus on recruiting from within where possible - this is a company which challenges you to think about the direction you want your career to go in, and then gives you the tools to get there. When you take this into account, along with the benefits (in-house learning and development, extended lunch break for gym-goers, drinks every Friday and truly exceptional company events - to name a few), I can honestly say that this is a company that once you join, you stick with!

Cons

The hours can be long on the consulting side of the business, but no more than what's expected across the industry.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting company with global opportunities

Sep 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Growing quickly and expanding globally, with lots of opportunities for international relocation - Regular training from a top L&D team - Great culture - very social, with four major events over the year and drinks every Friday - Good promotion prospects - clear route for recruiters and very regular promotions across the wider business - 1.5 hour lunch breaks for gym goers - Approachable management from ownership down - Good work/life balance in operational roles - Nice office in a great location

Cons

- Long hours for recruiters, but still better than the industry standard. - High expectations and hard work, but well rewarded

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Market leading FS recruiter with a generous commission scheme and strong company culture

Sep 11, 2017 - Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very Professional and career driven working environment - Collaborative culture - Work hard, play hard environment - Financially rewarding with a market leading commission scheme - Market leading brand - Excellent social events (2 Christmas parties, 1 summer party, Q1 event, lunch clubs...)

Cons

- Longer than average working hours

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Exceptional support, great training, and high commission!

Mar 22, 2017 - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

OJ is an exceptional company to work for. I was headhunted by Light Search (Oliver James' internal recruitment) and haven't looked back. Since I joined I have felt supported every step of the way and also extremely valued compared to the last recruitment company I was at - I'm not just another Consultant billing. From day one you are given on the desk training and the off desk training spans a couple of days even at Senior level. The office and culture as a whole cannot be beaten. Everyone is approachable, especially the Directors who sit amongst us and are there working the same hours. You learn a lot from the top billers in the office, there's probably one on every team, and they are happy to help you reach your full potential. We have fantastic social events; summer parties, multiple Christmas parties and away days! We even have Friday drinks every Friday! The opportunity to work globally is also ever present as we are growing and it's easy to see why when we have such a good reputation and name in the market. Commission is higher and my career progression with the Company has been mapped in an achievable way!

Cons

The hours are slightly longer than some other agencies (8.30-7/6.30/6) BUT the longer hours and hard work pays off!! Also it is a graduated week so the hours get less as the week runs down to Friday and drinks after work at 5pm!

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Internal Recruitment

It's great to hear your positive review on your experience here at Oliver James. Individuals are encouraged and supported here from day 1 and the L&D team has seen significant investment over the past 2 years, who along with the Management team have worked hard to create the supportive culture you have experienced, so it's fantastic to hear your feedback on this. We hope you are looking forward to the Summer party - it's not far off now!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews