OpenMarket Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
OpenMarket CEO Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you're looking for a place with a work-life balance that leans heavily toward the 'life' side you should consider OpenMarket" (in 19 reviews)

• "Unlike most companies I've worked at, the commitment to the Core Values, including integrity, is real" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasional pains with integrations with parent company for corporate issues but nothing unbearable" (in 6 reviews)

• "No cons so far in Guadalajara Office" (in 3 reviews)

1. "The people are great"

Current Employee - Engineering in London, England
    Current Employee - Engineering in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined OpenMarket because of the people that work here. That's also the main reason I'm still at the company - my fellow employees value open communication, helping each other out, valuing a healthy engagement between technical and commercial teams, can be very serious and ambitious. It's a blame free culture, something I have not seen before, having worked for consultancy companies for many years. There are many examples of colleagues being good friends outside of work, I myself am such an example. The company, and I mean the whole company, really cares about diversity, a big thing for me, from senior management through the rest of the organisation. The company style is somewhat of a start-up that is growing and taking on big clients - it's a very enabling company that gives you free reign to do things - if you can handle that. If you can't, people are helpful and you're not alone. Did I mention somewhere I really like the people at OpenMarket? I do!

Cons

The company is growing quickly, with that comes some growth pains.

Advice to Management

Keep the company culture, that's why I'm here!

2. "Great place to work, Why?"

Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company actually adheres to it's core values. The no1 being looking after their people. If you're looking for a technical role or not, you will be looked after. You're voice will always be heard and opinions always considered in decision making.

This is a great place to work, with genuinely talented people. You're role could be challenging but you will supported throughout. You will also have a lot of fun along the way, with pizza, drinks & games.

They also have a social committee to help plan events, as well as a focus on diversity too. So here you'll find a work, home and succeed together culture. With a focus on you, the roadmap and the company's future plans.

Cons

The interview process is long, but definitely worth it. Meetings could be consolidated, to cover multiple topics and whilst the freshly ground coffee is good, we could invest in a bean to cup espresso machine?

Advice to Management

Planning and information sharing is very good, let's focus a little more on celebrating our wins.

"Best place to learn"

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Great team who work hard and support one another

Cons

challenging market conditions and time is a pressure for the market and the business

Advice to Management

keep up working on the hard stuff

"Small company with no clear direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, friendly people mostly, some social activities but limited to a group of people and their interests.

Cons

Lots of changes, recently many old people left after a mass exodus a few years back. New management at least in London very much have selfish agendas, not focusing on company growth or it's employees. There is a lot of technical debt and unnecessary work because of poor management policies. Development managers are mostly helpless as no clear direction is given. Most of time it is either fire fighting or just discussing about new feature but not doing it. Management tries to reduce the cost by employing people at cheaper locations like Mexico & India without thinking through the pros & cons. Low morale and people stick around just for convenience sake or being lazy. Management follows bad policies to fix issues rather than facing and dealing with issues.

Advice to Management

Stopping fooling your employees and get it right; value your people not your directors.

"Good company and nice people"

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Friendly and accommodating staff

Cons

Some much weaker teams that others in certain parts of the business

Advice to Management

Try and ensure buy in across all teams and levels towards company goals

6. "Good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family friendly, solid financially, interesting customer base

Cons

At that time it was hard to pin down a consistent vision

Advice to Management

Keep going!

7. "Junior Linux Administrator"

Current Employee - Job Linux Administrator in London, England
    Current Employee - Job Linux Administrator in London, England

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, friendly environment, good salary

Cons

Busy, production environment, once a month outages

Advice to Management

At beginning manager on the boat, later manager remotely.

"I learned a lot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong technical culture
    - Wide spectrum of things to work on - from low level bytes processing to messaging and high level APIs
    - Friendly people
    - Stable yearly salary increases that cover inflation
    - OK benefits
    - Nice area in West London, nice views from 14th floor, nice Chiswick Busines spark

Cons

- Core team members left
    - Domain does not look promising
    - Integration with companies around the world - one can see a lot of weird stuff
    - Boring open office layout

Advice to Management

Keep up the good team work

"Change now, not later"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Very profitable company with major global brands as customers and exclusive agreements with networks that gives openmarket competitive advantage.

Cons

Outdated technology and limited product portfolio. The technology part of the company is huge but has been performing very poorly for some years now without major changes as the business results were good despite the costs of that same technology organization.
    If openmarket doesn´t invest on changing that organization bringing the technology up to date whilst investing in new products, as soon as business results are not that good, they will have it very difficult to recover and stay in business.

Advice to Management

Invest in your technology and bring new blood to to the executive team. Some people have been there for years although their areas have been underperforming.

10. "Remarkable Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Organizational Health is truly at the heart of the GM's top priority. All companies I have worked before so far also stressed the importance of the employee but I never felt it meant and lived as much as at OpenMarket. The spirit is remarkable!

Cons

Many new hires across the board are a challenge to get up to speed given that many came from outside the industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, let the growth not introduce more politics than needed.