OpenMarket Reviews

Updated 6 May 2021

4.5
OpenMarket CEO Jonathan Morgan
Jonathan Morgan
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is really good, self-motivating work environment(in 26 reviews)

• "OpenMarket is a great place to work(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Continue to work with parent company to optimize processes (this is getting better)(in 14 reviews)

• "Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great company - a breath of fresh air.

2 Oct 2020 - User Experience Director in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fantastic, healthy culture - Lack of politics / egos / one-upmanship - Talented, collaborative people - Genuine, people-centric leadership - Committed to diversity and inclusion - Amazing growth and future potential

Cons

Rapid growth means resources are stretched in some areas, but this is being addressed.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Employee

9 May 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO is amazing Authentic management Work culture is excellent-no blame culture Growth opportunities

Cons

None that I can think of

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your feedback! I’m so glad OpenMarket is providing you with the kind of leadership and growth opportunities you’re looking for in your career. I’d love to hear even more of your feedback – reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com if you’d like to connect.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great leadership team and culture

18 Nov 2020 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership team and culture

Cons

Pace of change and East-Coast to London time difference

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall, a great environment to work in

16 May 2019 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly & welcoming culture - Approachable SLT - Fair salary - Great benefits package - Good career prospects

Cons

- The hours can be long (9 hour days are the standard requirement) - The commute can be an issue (London office) as the office is not central and the train lines servicing the station aren't the most reliable - IT & systems onboarding is painful because of the crossover with Amdocs (parent company) & OpenMarket systems. There isn't really a clear process to follow, and everybody seems to have issues for the first few weeks at least. This is more of a reflection on Amdocs than OpenMarket though - There isn't an official flexible working policy (and the IT issues make this more challenging too)

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review. You’re obviously someone with a balanced perspective who knows there are pros and cons to everyone’s work situation. Overall though, it sounds like you’re quite pleased with the major aspects of your role - senior leadership, career prospects, our friendly culture. Those are the big things that I care deeply about myself. That being said, I’ve noted your comments regarding flexible work hours and issues with IT and onboarding and I plan to take them up with the relevant people. Thank you for bringing these issues to light and allowing us the valuable opportunity to continue to learn and grow along with our employees. As you continue to have insights, be all means tell me about them! Email me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com whenever you want to set up a time to connect.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

On its last legs

8 May 2019 - Software Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

High level of autonomy on how you work. Great for a first job in London before you move onto a better place.

Cons

Salaries are far below market rate with management refusing to acknowledge this as the case stating that they've done market research. Senior management push out a completely new initiative every few months without completing the initial one. There was talk of getting new starters to write positive reviews online in a recruitment meeting. Refusal to acknowledge the fact that we've lost 60-70% of our UK engineering department. This coincided with zero recruitment to engineering for a 15 month period. Senior management are happy to outsource projects instead of rehiring developers in the current office. Almost no career prospects as higher level positions are closed off for more outsourcing. An almost empty office as most seats are now vacant and unlikely to be filled.

16 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for review. I genuinely appreciate getting feedback of all types – it’s impossible to improve without it. Please reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com if you’d like to discuss further.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Too much hierarchy and office politics

29 Jul 2019 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly and supportive colleagues & reasonable middle management

Cons

Looking at the reviews, I expect the majority of the positive comments come from the management, their friends and family members as many OM employees are not satisfied with the company. I really enjoyed working at OpenMarket as my colleagues were friendly and supportive, unfortunately, I cannot say the same about my manager who seemed to be scared of expressing any form of criticism against the leadership. I completely lost respect towards them as they were timid and unable to defend their own team. Many senior managers seem to be indecisive and lack industry experience, which is reflected in their poor decision making. Majority of them are located in Seattle and are completely out of touch with the situation in Pune, Guadaralaja and London. Furthermore, there is a dangerous trend among the leadership team to employ their ex-colleagues/friends who seem equally incompetent. The company puts an emphasis on diversity, however, the same individuals keep being promoted, some of them got promoted 2-3 times in a year and the majority of them were men. Unfortunately, women don’t get much recognition at OM, especially those who are vocal and dare to criticise the leadership. I also don’t see much diversity across the leadership team- the majority of them are white Americans. Although one of the core values of OpenMakret is ‘be authentic’, not many managers are living up to this standard. The CEO and the management surround themselves with Yes-men only and any form of criticism sooner or later will be punished. ‘Value people’ is another questionable core value of OpenMarket- people should be valued in various ways, paying for drinks and pizza once per month is not enough. At OpenMarket many employees are underpaid for the amount of work they do. The most ‘lucky’ individuals end up doing a job of 2-3 people. The work culture leaking from the senior management is quite toxic, there is lots of backstabbing and politics that ‘spill’ over the middle managers and regular employees, even those in technical roles. The old-fashioned and not fit for purpose processes and systems may hinder your efficiency. If your laptop doesn’t function properly, it takes ages to get a new one. Moreover, HR, payroll and recruitment processes are very time-consuming and complicated as a result finalising employee’s promotions might take months. If you have any pay-related issues you may end up emailing multiple individuals located in various locations before anyone solves your problem as the HR/Payroll departments are redistributed across the globe. There is a non-existent budget for personal development, only a few of my colleagues were able to attend some conferences last year, most of us couldn’t due to a very tight budget. Nevertheless, some teams (Sales, Marketing) seem to have enough money to attend fancy events. The attrition rate is rocketing high and I have never seen in my whole career so many colleagues departing within such a short space of time. HR claims that this is normal and such an attrition level is an industry-standard. To make it worse, many of those who have left were never replaced. The recruitment team doesn’t employ new people, they just fill the gaps.

14 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

experience of OpenMarket

1 Jul 2019 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff are really nice. Management are kind

Cons

Can't be sure of job security

2 people found this review helpful

OpenMarket Response

I’m glad to hear that you enjoy being part of the OpenMarket team. Many of our colleagues have been part of the company for many years, so I hope you can see the opportunities are there for the taking. The next few years are going to be incredibly exciting and I hope you’ll continue to be part of our journey. Jonathan Morgan, CEO, OpenMarket

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The people are great

27 Apr 2018 - Engineering in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined OpenMarket because of the people that work here. That's also the main reason I'm still at the company - my fellow employees value open communication, helping each other out, valuing a healthy engagement between technical and commercial teams, can be very serious and ambitious. It's a blame free culture, something I have not seen before, having worked for consultancy companies for many years. There are many examples of colleagues being good friends outside of work, I myself am such an example. The company, and I mean the whole company, really cares about diversity, a big thing for me, from senior management through the rest of the organisation. The company style is somewhat of a start-up that is growing and taking on big clients - it's a very enabling company that gives you free reign to do things - if you can handle that. If you can't, people are helpful and you're not alone. Did I mention somewhere I really like the people at OpenMarket? I do!

Cons

The company is growing quickly, with that comes some growth pains.

5 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Worrying lack of direction

15 Oct 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good people in some teams.

Cons

Lack of direction and the new leadership have limited experience in this field.

6 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your honest review. I genuinely appreciate getting feedback of all types – we can’t improve as a business without listening to all perspectives. Please reach out to me at jonathan.morgan@openmarket.com if you’d like to discuss further.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, Why?

24 Apr 2018 - Professional Services Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company actually adheres to it's core values. The no1 being looking after their people. If you're looking for a technical role or not, you will be looked after. You're voice will always be heard and opinions always considered in decision making. This is a great place to work, with genuinely talented people. You're role could be challenging but you will supported throughout. You will also have a lot of fun along the way, with pizza, drinks & games. They also have a social committee to help plan events, as well as a focus on diversity too. So here you'll find a work, home and succeed together culture. With a focus on you, the roadmap and the company's future plans.

Cons

The interview process is long, but definitely worth it. Meetings could be consolidated, to cover multiple topics and whilst the freshly ground coffee is good, we could invest in a bean to cup espresso machine?

3 people found this review helpful