Opus Energy Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 6 Feb 2020

3.1
Opus Energy Managing Director Paul Sheffield (no image)
Paul Sheffield
Pros
  • "I applied for one of the graduate schemes at Opus Energy, and found the application and interview process very straightforward(in 5 reviews)

• "good pay(in 4 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Lovely environment"

Former Employee - Account Assistant

I worked at Opus Energy full-time

Pros

Opus is a great friendly workplace

Cons

Lack of career progression and opportunities to progress further

2. "No career progression"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Opus Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleague's make it a great place to work

Cons

Bad management, no career progression, understaffed, very high call intake, pay reasonable but doesn't really cover the amount of abuse you have to take. Offer alot of incentives but never really come through with any of it.

Continue reading

"Such a terrible place to work"

1.0

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Opus Energy

Pros

The only reasons I can supply about Opus being a good place to work at are completely subjective: 1. Conveniently placed for travel to work 2. Peers are incredibly knowledgeable and make the work day enjoyable

Cons

1. Senior and some middle management who still have the ‘small company mindset’ make bad decisions, while overruling their specialist employee consensus. 2. Absolutely ZERO training despite being given a budget and factored into the new ‘OneDrax’ setup, while still being expected to be experts in new fields. 3. No career progression, despite being a big ‘thing’ at Opus. So far the only ‘career progression’ that I have seen is people moving between teams and departments, not actually higher in the company. 4. Everyone across every department is consistently overworked, in conjunction with higher targets year on year, with no increase in budget makes it incredibly stressful to work at Opus. 5. Working hours are hard set, there is no flexi-time, and despite having remote working capabilities, we are always required to be in the office. 6. The HR department is abysmal. They never answer their phones, take an age to reply to emails, constantly incorrectly pay staff for their overtime and pension, and are unreasonable to work with. 7. They have a strong mentality of bringing in contractors to do pieces of work, who then leave and the closest team they can pin the service to gets left to do the day to day management. 8. There is pushback in everything you try to do.

Opus Energy Response

December 20, 2018Recruiter

Many thanks for your review and we will ensure the feedback is shared. Career development is a key focus of both Opus Energy and the Drax group. The introduction of career levels and the group wide recruitment system in the past year has increased the visibility of internal vacancies and progression opportunities available and employees are free to apply to roles across the group that match their career aspirations. We have also launched a training programme for aspiring future leaders within the company to ensure they are equipped to progress into leadership roles. In regards to training opportunities, our L&D team have delivered over 17,000 hours of training in the past year. This includes inductions, a wide variety of soft skill courses & system training. This is then combined with training that takes place on team. There is always more we can offer and the next couple of months will see the launch of training programmes such as our sales academy which will provide our staff with tailored training opportunities. The opinions of our staff and taking their feedback on board is vital to ensuring we progress as a company. The feedback from the recent 'My Voice' survey that was completed by 80% of employees will be a key driver in ensuring we do as much as possible to motivate and engage our employees.

4. "Really well balanced grad scheme"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Opus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was part of the risk management graduate scheme at Opus Energy. The 2 year scheme was really enjoyable and involved rotating around different areas of the business every 4 months. This provided a really well balanced experience and has given me a wide variety of skills and experiences. The scheme also guaranteed a job at the end of the two years, and the choice of different roles available was good.

Cons

Career progression once the graduate scheme has finished hasn't really been discussed, however this may become clear in time.

Opus Energy Response

June 14, 2018Recruiter

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience of our graduate programme. As a relatively new scheme, it's great to hear that it has provided you with a good variety of experience and exposure to numerous business areas. We guarantee all our graduates a role at the end of the scheme and appreciate the skills and capabilities they bring to their positions. We acknowledge that there may have been times of uncertainty on how you will progress after the graduate scheme, so our Early Careers team is working alongside our L&D team to ensure that opportunities are marked out as early as possible to provide you with more certainty.

5. "Potential to be a great business"

2.0

I worked at Opus Energy full-time

Pros

Great people in the office (Northampton and Oxford) Pension and medical benefits Some flexi-time Overtime is not mandatory

Cons

Culture and values are not demonstrated or rewarded Little to no career progression options Too commercially minded and virtually no reinvestment into systems Lost sight of the customer - used to strive to be the best supplier in the UK, now just trying to be the biggest

6. "Opus"

Credit Controller in Northampton, England

I worked at Opus Energy

Pros

Great people to work with also doing the same job. Made my time there a lot better than I would have been otherwise

Cons

Pay wasn't great and the management were terrible. No chance of career progression unless you were friendly with the managers. Very low morale across the department and employees feel undervalued and treated like robots. Would not recommend working here.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.