Opus Energy Employee Reviews about "opus energy"

Updated 18 Sep 2019

3.1
Opus Energy Managing Director Paul Sheffield (no image)
Paul Sheffield
Pros
  • "I applied for one of the graduate schemes at Opus Energy, and found the application and interview process very straightforward(in 5 reviews)

• "good pay(in 4 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "opus energy"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company to work for"

5.0
     in Moulton, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England

I have been working at Opus Energy

Pros

I have been working at Opus energy since March 2012, I was one of the first apprentice’s to join the company. Opus Energy offer an excellent wage to apprentice’s which really attracted me to this company. They are very fair to offer this sort of wage to an apprentice, compared to other companies who offer a very small amount of money an hour. Within the last 3 and a half years I have developed so much within Opus Energy. I started off as an administrator and gained my NVQ in March 2013. I wanted to start a career within the HR department, so I enrolled on a part time college course to get my CIPD qualification. My team leader and the HR team have supported me by offering me a secondment within the HR team. I have gained so much experience and with the company’s help, I am in a great position for my future career within the department. If there is a particular area you want to get into the team leaders and managers really do support you to get to where you want to be. The company offers great bonus schemes and great pay, they also offer a free summer party/Christmas party every year. There is always training available for those who want to progress. They do a lot for the local charities, for example charity fundraising and colour runs, one paid volunteering day a year. We have employee forums for staff to air their views, for example men wanted to wear shorts to work. This was brought to the employee forum and now they can wear smart shorts on a Friday. The company listens to your views and does it’s best for its colleagues. I would recommend working here from my experiences, it’s a growing and highly successful business with a lot to offer someone who is willing to work hard, you could gain a lot from working here.

Cons

There are three separate buildings in Northampton, so we are spread out currently. But this is something the company is working on to improve.

2. "Run for the hills and keep going....."

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Opus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice offices, good salary and benefits

Cons

I can honestly state that this is the worse place I've ever worked. The senior manager of the department is totally incompetent, a gas-lighter, a charlatan and a bully. They were tasked with joining the organisation to turn the department around as it was already failing, but somehow managed to make it 100% times worse. Despite many reports to senior management in the organisation about their awful behaviour, and lack of support, nothing was done about it. It's a shame as the company likes to "bang on" about mental health and well-being on the surface, but in practice they allow this disgusting behaviour and management style to continue. I, and my colleagues were make to feel stupid, useless and totally incompetent at any given opportunity and were thrown under the bus on more occasions than I care to recount. We worked over and above our hours into the evenings and weekends in a very stressful role, and it was never good enough. My confidence took a massive knock working here and filled me with extreme anxiety. I feel that they should be ashamed of how they have treated members of staff who have given their all to their team and organisation only to be treated so poorly. I would highly recommend that you don't seek opportunities at Opus Energy unless you enjoy being worked to the point of breakdown with no thanks whatsoever.

Continue reading

"A great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Graduate Analyst in Northampton, England

I have been working at Opus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I applied for one of the graduate schemes at Opus Energy, and found the application and interview process very straightforward. There was no waiting on Recruitment to get in touch with you; everyone I interacted with was very friendly, helpful and professional. The graduate scheme has been very beneficial to my personal development since we have plenty of useful training and mentoring. The scheme has also allowed me to experience many different aspects of the company, giving me a great insight into the energy sector and helping me decide how I want my career to progress. Opus Energy are really keen on employee wellbeing, have a great rewards scheme, and support lots of charities; this all contributes to a really great working environment!

Cons

There has been a lot of change at Opus Energy over the last year since becoming part of the Drax Group. In my opinion, a vast majority of these changes are really beneficial and it is exciting to be part of this change. However, some of these changes haven't been communicated well and that has had a negative impact on relations between employees and Senior Management/HR. In time I do think these will be resolved.

June 14, 2018Recruiter

Thank you for your positive review about the recruitment process for our graduate scheme. We understand that finding a role whilst at university is quite stressful, so we aim to make the experience as enjoyable as possible with frequent contact points during the process. It's great to hear that the Analyst scheme has provided you with a mixture of challenging opportunities and that our mentoring scheme has been beneficial. We appreciate that since becoming part of the Drax Group there has been a fair amount of change, so we will look to ensure that communication is frequent and relevant to our employees so that any uncertainty is reduced.

4. "Really well balanced grad scheme"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Opus Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was part of the risk management graduate scheme at Opus Energy. The 2 year scheme was really enjoyable and involved rotating around different areas of the business every 4 months. This provided a really well balanced experience and has given me a wide variety of skills and experiences. The scheme also guaranteed a job at the end of the two years, and the choice of different roles available was good.

Cons

Career progression once the graduate scheme has finished hasn't really been discussed, however this may become clear in time.

June 14, 2018Recruiter

Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience of our graduate programme. As a relatively new scheme, it's great to hear that it has provided you with a good variety of experience and exposure to numerous business areas. We guarantee all our graduates a role at the end of the scheme and appreciate the skills and capabilities they bring to their positions. We acknowledge that there may have been times of uncertainty on how you will progress after the graduate scheme, so our Early Careers team is working alongside our L&D team to ensure that opportunities are marked out as early as possible to provide you with more certainty.

5. "On the whole a good place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England

I have been working at Opus Energy full-time

Pros

Opus Energy have been rapidly growing since I joined and you can see plenty of internal progression. A good support network from L&D for new managers. The culture changes depending what area you work in. At its best, it is a business that treats you like an adult, more concerned with you achieving rather that how you achieve.

Cons

Communication is lacking. We don't get enough of it and we don't get it when we say we will. For instance, our benefits package was supposed to be revealed last October and we weren’t told anything until March...and in March we were told it would be postponed. Career levels is another area where we have been told part of the story but no one seems to know the full story. So communication could really do with being seriously looked at.

June 14, 2018Recruiter

Many thanks for your review. As you mentioned, internal progression is something that is a focus for us, and our L&D team is well-equipped to provide the relevant development to our employees so they can progress their career. Regarding your comments about communication - we appreciate there has been a fair amount of change that needs communicating. Our growing internal communications team will be working with all relevant teams in the coming months to make sure messages are communicated as effectively as possible.

"Employee value"

in Northampton, England

I have been working at Opus Energy

Pros

Opus Energy really do value their employees. Through employee surveys they have listened to what we want and have implemented a fantastic benefits package that includes private medical healthcare, Life Assurance and Employee Assistance programme. In addition to these there are a number of flexible benefits to choose from such as buying or selling holiday, critical illness cover, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, cycle to work , and retail discounts and benefits.

Cons

Limited Parking, Consistent messaging can get lost as it gets fed downwards.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 6 English Reviews