Orbitz Worldwide Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Orbitz Worldwide Technology Reviews

Technology

4.1
Orbitz Worldwide Vice President and General Manager - Orbitz and CheapTickets Hari Nair
Hari Nair

Pros
Cons
  • work / life balance - sometimes not so great (in 19 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Technology Leader in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Leader in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Freedom to try new technologies
    * Had the benefit of some great mentors early on in my career
    * Fun culture and peer group
    * Hard work mostly pays off
    * Work life balance & vacation policy

Cons

* Coordination across groups can be better
    * Sometimes one has to be "insider" to be recognized and grow

Advice to Management

* Provide a clear product strategy & goals given the age of mobile cross devices / new payment types / internationalization / personalization

2. "Orbitz is a technology focused, fast-paced company that employees talented people."

Current Employee - Technology Recruiter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Recruiter in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like a fast-paced work environment, this place is for you. There are 800+ employees at the Orbitz Worldwide headquarters in Chicago, and the office buzzes with energy during work hours.

Orbitz is a technology company, so the company as a whole is very in-tune with the latest/greatest in IT, and is always on the leading-edge of new technical tools, techniques and trends.

Orbitz seems to do a lot of promoting from within, so there's a lot of opportunity to grow and advance on both your team and in other departments in the company. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Don't have any cons just yet.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow employees to be creative and reward for hard work. Employees seem to generally enjoy the work environment at Orbitz because of that.

3. "New Employee Review"

Current Employee - Human Resources Technology Business Partner in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a new employee (2 months) at Orbitz Worldwide I am confident that I made the right decision to accept the position here. Orbitz makes an honest effort to foster a culture where high performers and intelluctually curious people can shine. Free thinking and a respectfully challenging the status quo and offering up new ideas is welcome.

Cons

I have not encountered any "cons" at this point.

Advice to Management

Although we have $750MM in revenue (which feels like a large company dollarwise), we still have a small friendly and laid back dot com feel to the culture. Please don't change that!

"Great place to work, intelligent people, strong technology, and a ton of opportunity"

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Talented and knowledgeable teammates. I learn new things every day. Tremendous opportunities to pick up new and engaging work. Very much a company based on analytics and the customer experience. Great technology in a complex high-volume distributed environment. And a ton of data available to crunch.

Cons

Literally surrounded by an endless sea of potential new business opportunities. It can be difficult to make priority trade-off decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep narrowing focus and taking on tough strategic decisions. Double-down on the big potential wins for our future.