Oxford University Graduate Research Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Oxford University Chancellor Christopher Francis Patten
Christopher Francis Patten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance might suffer, depending on how much a publication record you want to build (in 18 reviews)

• Expensive to live -- almost the same as London although with less pay (in 9 reviews)

1. "Your ideas are heard attentively by experts"

Former Intern - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England
    Former Intern - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent 3 months at the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Oxford during my PhD studies. I was a great opportunity to work with state-of-the-art medical devices such as MEG and fMRI sanners, with best processing techniques. The Principal Investigators were very welcoming, we had meetings to share ideas, and the data was provided to me, so that I could develop my own ideas.

Cons

No compensation. Went at my own costs.

2. "Good place to study and live"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

University of Oxford is one of the top universities in the world with great prestige. It has the greatest resources for research and study. The town of Oxford is also a great place to live.
    There are lots of research groups in this university. I am in department of Engineering Science, it contains information science, mechanics, computer science, optics, nanotechnology. If you want to have cooperation with them, it will be very convenient.

Cons

If you want to go to London, you will take more than one hour there.

Advice to Management

The efficiency of the administration is better to improve.

3. "Lifestyle is amazing but very little inspiration in my Lab. Sure other parts of the University have more to offer."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Oxford, England

Pros

Beautiful city, lifestyle is amazing, work pressure is very flexible, one is always treated with a lot of respect within the University. Some departments like the Statistics department have a bad reputation though.

Cons

The management is very opaque and the environment is often very bureaucratic. Very difficult to work together with senior members. very hierarchical structure in general.

Advice to Management

Make it a more friendly and flat structure.