Oxford University PhD Candidate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Christopher Francis Patten
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance might suffer, depending on how much a publication record you want to build (in 18 reviews)

• Expensive to live -- almost the same as London although with less pay (in 9 reviews)

1. "teaching assistant for intercollegiate classes"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate

Pros

Students gathered into small groups. Frequent classes, so one sees real progress in students.

Cons

Low salary. The marks are not counting towards the final score, so some students do not produce serious work constantly.

Advice to Management

Rise the salary, lower the number of classes but make the marks count towards overall assessement

"Stay away from the Department of Oncology"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Headington, England
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Headington, England

Pros

I am a full-time PhD student. The university itself is great, and has many opportunities for networking, and we do not want for research money

Cons

The management at our department is abysmal. We are divided in research interests, and the research is not very stimulating. Harassment and bullying is rampant, and there is no clear management of rogue group leaders. Very little transparency. Turnover of both students and postdocs is very high.