Find jobs for Marketing Assistant

Oxford University Press Assistant Marketing Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2021

Found 15 of over 924 reviews

Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

All round great place to work!

Jan 31, 2019 - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work culture and great work life balance -The mission of helping people is at the heart of everything you do -Lovely people and great, supportive managers

Cons

-A little stuck in the past with its ways of working at times, but open to improvements! -Notorious for paying less than other employers

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for the review – it’s really good to hear you enjoyed your time at OUP and that our culture and mission contributed to that. Your feedback on pay and improvements is also really helpful. If you want to share anything further please feel free to reach out to us at glassdoor@oup.com

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Loved working there

Nov 11, 2020 - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work and great company.

Cons

No career progression opportunities within the company

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

It’s great to hear that you loved your time at OUP. We would appreciate the chance to hear more about your experiences, and to understand where you feel we could improve in regards to career progression. You can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Poor company culture

Aug 5, 2018 - Assistant Marketing Manager in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

World famous brand, looks good on a CV

Cons

Very poor company culture, lots of miserable people around. Some are lucky to have a good team but overall the hierarchical and detached approach to leadership causes a lot of people feel isolated and under too much pressure.

12 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really sorry to see that you wouldn’t recommend OUP as a place to work. We’re also concerned to hear your feedback about our people, culture, and leadership. We always aim to provide a culture and working environment where all employees feel empowered to make their mark, and we’d appreciate the chance to hear your thoughts on what we could be doing differently. You can get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful people trapped in a horrendous company

Mar 14, 2018 - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is friendly and welcoming. I had a great first year at the company and felt supported by middle management and my colleagues. Generous annual leave. Basement gym!

Cons

Poor pay. Upper management refuse to listen to employees. US office meddle in global marketing affairs despite not understanding global marketing trends and effectiveness. Entry level employees not respected by management.

8 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and we’re sorry to hear about some of the challenges you faced while working here. We’re particularly concerned to hear about your experiences of management. We’d like the chance to discuss and understand your feedback in more depth, so please get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great atmosphere

Feb 21, 2017 - Assistant Marketing Manager in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers, atmosphere, experience gained, professional development and great work/ life balance.

Cons

Pay is below average, unclear progression.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Depends on your team

Aug 17, 2016 - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked in two different department I can attest to the fact that there are some genuinely great people working here. Your work is valued, you're respected no matter what level you're at and you feel like you are contributing to a team.

Cons

Not much support for development. Very poor pay, noticeably below industry but fair working hours and holiday. Also, having worked in two different departments, I can't stress enough it's about the people. The second team I worked in were by far the least supportive I have experienced in my working life to date. Managers had no experience in managing, no experience in training, were unfamiliar with reporting procedures themselves, offered no advice or solution, did not make time for their line reports and were at times rude.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best work place for women

Jun 3, 2021 - Marketing Assistant in New Delhi
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best work place for women, employee friendly

Cons

As per my experience I have not seen any cons.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - it's great that you feel we are a positive, friendly place to work, for women especially, as this is extremely important to us. If there is anything else you would like to tell us about, please feel free to email glassdoor@oup.com.

8. 3.0

Decent work, poor pay

Jan 11, 2021 - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good office, caring HR, good IT, free food!

Cons

Poor communication, low pay, high turnover

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re grateful for your feedback, and would love to hear more about what we’re doing well, and where we can improve. If you want to share any further details, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid this company at all costs

Mar 14, 2019 - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free bagels. Working with other people in such an abusive work environment really helps to band people together and meet some of the greatest people. If you say that you've worked at Oxford University Press, you'll easily get hired somewhere else (the name still means something for some reason).

Cons

Oxford University Press is awful at retaining good talent, which is why so many of the managers, editors, and department heads are so incompetent. I worked there for a year and 8 months, received good reviews, generated a lot of money with my marketing review campaigns, and left willingly because of OUP's outrageous abuse of its employees. You will make less than 40K at a starting salary/entry level position and will be expected to complete the workload of three people (usually because management and HR will terminate a position and not re-hire someone for about 6 to 10 months. Or, if someone leaves, they will not fill the position for 6 to 10 months, shoving the workload that was for the vacant positions onto the assistants, coordinators, and lower level positions while paying them a salary that will leave them swimming in credit debt and rationing their meals for months). Another extreme point of contention with this company is the sexual harassment. I have witnessed an editor making lewd comments to my colleagues (actually he still works there, and although he's been reported multiple times by managers and assistants, he was only given classes to help him not sexually harass people). Where is the Me Too movement for Oxford University Press? We sure need one. Authors and customers at conferences have sexually harassed my colleagues, and when they reported it to HR, Human Resources did not punish the author or customer. In the author's case, they told him that he can't attend Oxford University Press conferences anymore (but OUP employees could still see him at other conferences), and did not terminate his contract. The president of the company also would not verbally defame an author who had been accused of abusing multiple women (that book must bring in a lot of money). When a sales rep was sexually assaulted at a conference by the same editor who has been reported multiple times and not fired, the head of the department (Higher Ed) told the employee who witnessed and reported it that he shouldn't go to HR. Nothing was handled and the editor was not punished. Oxford University Press also only really cares about money and cares little for furthering education as they claim. Every meeting is about how the company can make more and more money, as they continue to cut jobs and increase the workload of lower level employees, and they have conversations about really stressing the "not-for-profit" message. Plenty of professors had told me that they wanted to use Oxford University Press textbooks because the company was "Not-for-Profit," but they didn't realize that the CEO makes over a million dollars per year while the lower level employees make $36,000 and all the excess money goes to the university to manicure its lawn. There is also no upward mobility. They will keep assistants and coordinators in lower level roles for 5+ years and only hire managers from other companies, which doesn't even make sense as far as productivity goes. The editors scream at their assistants and demean them on a regular basis. There's hardly any oversight from a lot of the editors, leading to many errors in the final products themselves (I heard from a lot of professors about this in my reviews). Also, they have a diversity committee, but I think it's only so that they can say they have a diversity committee. The company is not diverse. Overall, it's a really bad place to work.

31 people found this review helpful

Talent Manager

Let us assure you that all reports of harassment are investigated and we take our duty of care to our employees very seriously. We take appropriate actions according to what the investigations reveal, so if you have witnessed harassment of any nature, please do report it confidentially to OUP@expolink.co.uk. It is important that all of our employees feel safe and respected - in addition to diversity and inclusion initiatives across OUP, our New York office has four Diversity & Inclusion Committees which our colleagues volunteer to join, and who work hard to ensure a safe and inclusive environment. The surplus that OUP generates is used for a variety of purposes, including supporting students who might otherwise not be able to further their education. If you’re interested in finding out more, check out these websites: Clarendon Scholars Fund - http://www.ox.ac.uk/clarendon/about John Fell Fund - https://innovation.ox.ac.uk/award-details/john-fell-fund/ OUP Annual Report - https://annualreport.oup.com/2018/

10. 1.0

How to Lose A Team In 8 Months

Jan 3, 2019 - Marketing Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people were the only pros there and even that may be a stretch. I loved the team that I got to work with, however; it was a pleasure being a member of it and helping it grow when I could.

Cons

OUP did very little to support employees, save for the free bagels on Friday and the M&Ms they continue to stock the kitchen with. Within my year of working there, I watched my team dwindle continuously as each left to a better position due to either being underpaid or overworked, as the hiring freeze did not allow us to hire replacements at the time. The top-heavy management style was horrible, with directors consistently telling you to try new and innovative things without offering the assistance or technology to do so. Continuing to work in a NUMBER of outdated software with an IT team that offered no assistance whatsoever. OUP claims to be invested in the growth and development of their employees, yet pay no attention to the fact that they are losing employees to multiple competitors and that goodbye happy hours are merely celebrations for those who get to leave the depression and meaningless work behind.

21 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you didn’t have a better experience of working with us. We particularly note your thoughts on workload and management style, as it is important to us that our people feel supported and have the opportunity to grow and develop here. We are committed to improving learning and development and are looking at ways to boost this around the organization, so would welcome your feedback in more detail. If you would like to get in touch, you can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews