Find jobs for Publisher

Oxford University Press Publisher Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2021

Found 9 of over 924 reviews

3.5
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 4.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-former

A good company going through huge transformation

Jul 8, 2021 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Variety of opportunities across the company Fantastic colleagues Nice premises

Cons

Could offer more flexible working arrangements (varies from department to department)

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fine

Jun 9, 2021 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can do attitude among majority of work force Some benefits

Cons

Erosion of benefits now systematic Low digital capabilities for business of its size

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review - we’re saddened to see that you wouldn’t recommend working at OUP to others. We recognize the need to be innovative and forward-thinking, which has been rapidly accelerated due to the pandemic, and have projects in the pipeline that will provide great opportunities for us as we continue to adapt to the digital landscape. If you have any ideas on how we can improve in this area, or any of the other areas you mention, please get in touch with us at glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good place to work

Mar 24, 2021 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great, professional, people Interesting job Good work-life balance

Cons

Salary could be more competitive

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback, it's great to see that you find your job at OUP interesting and would recommend working here to others. We would like to reassure you that we want everyone to feel rewarded for the hard work they do and this is a key area of focus for us, following the implementation of our fair pay principles last year. Please consider emailing us on glassdoor@oup.com if you wish to discuss your experience further.

4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Please avoid this company

Aug 9, 2019 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

As others have said, there is a nice coffee bar and gym

Cons

Any prospective applicant must make up their own minds about applying for a role of course. There are some nice comments on here about OUP and some less so. These are solely my personal opinions on working at OUP. Sadly, as a long-term employee I would strongly advise someone to keep well-clear and I would definitely not recommend OUP to a friend. Perhaps OUP used to be a nice place to work in the past, but don't let the academic image fool you. In my opinion, it's increasingly a very ruthless money-making machine with a concern only for the (eye-wateringly high) profits it makes and very little else. I have been taking anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication for several years now and need them to continuing working here. The stress levels are extremely high and the career progression prospects are very poor (as others have noted on here). Many people at the ‘coal-face’ are massively under-valued across different teams. There is no way I could work at OUP without medication and it's a sad reflection on me that I've not had the courage or resolve to get out. In my opinion, the senior management is pretty oblivious to all but their own needs. I would say when you reach that level it's a good place to work as you can side-step the day-to-day disasters, delegate downwards and get decently paid as a result. But repeated staff surveys, certainly in my department at least, have shown poor rating for these people. OUP says that it's looking at these sorts of issues but it's HR's role to protect the company as a whole. Individuals feel like a secondary concern despite the regular sound-bites that get sent to us. Moral is generally low. Yes, I am bitter but for good reasons. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive OUP for what it has done to me and my health over these past few years. Please, please find a kinder, less ruthless and more highly-regarded employer. There are plenty out there and you deserve better.

19 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience at OUP, and for the struggles you’ve gone through with your mental health. Many of us face difficulties with our mental health at different points and to different degrees. We want to create a culture where people can raise concerns and know that they will be supported. There are many examples where OUP has worked in partnership with employees to support them through any personal challenges they may be experiencing, and I would strongly encourage you to talk to us so we can help you as far as possible. Taking that first step can be hard, but we now have the Speak-up service where you can raise concerns anonymously if needed. However I would also encourage you to speak to your line manager, or if you don’t feel comfortable speak to the HR BP for your area or send me an email and I will happily talk to you, to make sure you’re receiving the right support. Lesley, HR Director

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The Beta Max of Publishing

Sep 30, 2018 - Senior Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Once looked good on your CV- doubtfully anymore.

Cons

So far behind the curve it will never catch up. Out-moded systems, antiquated methods and strategies, ancient managers (with archaic management practices). All the good people come and go in a flash, leaving the less able to pile up.

22 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback and we’re very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time at OUP. The publishing industry continues to undergo significant change, and we’re doing a lot to invest in our infrastructure, as well as our people, so that we can continue to grow and achieve our mission in the future. We’d appreciate the opportunity to hear more about your experiences at OUP, particularly your concerns around management and our systems. You can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Poorly managed, stuck in the past

Mar 2, 2018 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office, good location. Great gym.

Cons

Low pay, poor management. Awful IT. Marketing a joke. Provide a sub standard across the board. Every change is another nail in the coffin. We are the pound world of academic publishing. Incompetent managers go unchallenged. Bullying tolerated.

8 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re sorry to hear about your experiences. We’re particularly concerned to see your comments about bullying, for which we have a zero-tolerance policy. If you would like to share your concerns about this confidentially, please email OUP@expolink.co.uk. To share further feedback about any other aspects of your review, please get in touch with us via glassdoor@oup.com.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee

Beware! Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Feb 28, 2017 - Publisher in Oxford, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I would like to say that the singular 'pro' would be having this employer on your CV. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. See: 'cons'

Cons

Where to start. This is a dusty, old publisher and they structures and attitudes there mirror this. There are a bulk of people at Director level that have literally no idea of what they are doing. Totally out of touch with their markets, utterly out of touch with staff, out of touch with technology and would be unlikely to last a day anywhere else as their incompetence would be exposed in seconds. Like many old, entrenched structures these middle managers structure and restructure themselves in ways to hide their glowing failure as managers, all the while appointing bonuses and pay raises for themselves-whilst making endless redundancies. They are without question the most unethical company I have worked for-yet hide this behind their valued 'charity' status. They have nothing to do with the University itself as the actual academics at the university want nothing to do with them-for fear that this association will somehow damage their academic reputation. Pay close heed to the hundreds of terrible reviews here and don't make the same mistake that so many of us bright, smart publishing professionals have made. You will be more valued, secure and paid better ANYWHERE else in publishing.

25 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Salary

Jun 5, 2021 - Digital Publisher in Nairobi
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most collaborative firm to work in within East Africa

Cons

Pressure at work especially within the publishing department

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback, especially the point around the collaborative nature of our workplaces. If you would like to share anything further around your experience, or the pressures you speak of, please consider emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Minor Leagues

May 5, 2013 - Publisher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good credentials for your next job

Cons

Very weak business processes. Not effective. In many areas the business seems to be flying blind, especially technology, strategy, and human resources.

10 people found this review helpful