Oxford University Press Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated Oct 7, 2019

Found 112 reviews

Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Great work culture and great work life balance(in 56 reviews)

• "A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not OUP related but traffic is constant thorn in everyone's side(in 59 reviews)

• "Low pay and slow career progression(in 46 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New additions to top team have had a very positive impact on all the staff. Fathima and Lesley are a breath of fresh air and very approachable.

Cons

If it goes on like this - none.. go for it !

Advice to Management

Keep taking decisions on people which are right for OUP and help us to improve.

Oxford University Press2019-04-03

April 5, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, we’re really pleased to see you are enjoying your time at OUP and appreciate your feedback on our leadership. We are committed to continual improvement and it’s great to hear that some of our recent changes are having a positive effect for our people! If you have any questions or additional comments you can email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

2. "Have enjoyed a long stable career in OUP"

Current Employee - Bookshop & Library Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Products that you can believe in for quality and impact on real lives. A forward looking organisation willing to invest in future technologies and research in academic excellence. Pleasant work spaces in buildings with historical interest and a 400 year history of its own. A very diverse organisation operating globally which creates huge opportunities for those with ambition with a clear strategy of the... direction of the Press presented to all staff twice a year and then cascaded down to real projects and products.

Cons

Its a large organisation with many organically grown systems and work flows. Customers can find it hard to navigate our many separate web pages and locate the area of publishing that they require which creates internal bureaucracy to navigate - although many projects are in place already to streamline and address this and make this less of a challenge to work within.

Advice to Management

September 2019 contract changes for all UK employees has crushed employee morale and for the first time in over a decade of working at the Press made me question if this is still the organisation for me as these particular changes to the contracts are in my opinion unacceptable for older long service employees which I have reflected in the star ratings for this moment in time.

Oxford University Press2019-09-30
  3. "Great place to start your carrier"

Former Employee - Stock Controller in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely canteen, nice building, great location

Cons

Don't expect to be promoted.

Oxford University Press2019-09-16

October 2, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your views. If you want to expand on any of the points you raise in your review at all, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

4. "Great people, and caring, flexible organisation"

Current Employee - Communications Executive in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

I love the fact that the culture is half way between a commercial entity and an academic institution. You get the best of both worlds.

Cons

Pay isn't the greatest, and career progression can be limited.

Oxford University Press2019-09-15

September 19, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks so much for your comments. We’re really proud of our people and our culture, so it’s great to hear that these have had a positive impact on your time at OUP. If you want to tell us any more about your experiences – the good, and the bad – then we hope you’ll consider emailing us via glassdoor@oup.com.

5. "Decent pay, however supervisors are quick with the whip"

Former Employee - Warehouse Operative/Picker in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clean warehouse, good health and safety procedure, decent enough pay

Cons

Supervisors time you and will be on you for small discrepancies in time, e.g bathroom breaks.

Oxford University Press2019-09-03

September 13, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback, though we’re concerned to hear your comments about your supervisors. We’d like to understand more about your experiences so we can identify areas for improvement. You can get in touch with us directly via glassdoor@oup.com

"Dysfunctional at best"

Current Employee - Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice building, great people, gym, coffee

Cons

Technology stuck in the 90s. Too much politics. Dysfunctional middle management. No clear strategy. So much wasted money and effort on pointless change.

Advice to Management

Work together. Do what you say, or don’t say it. Stop blaming your staff - who are deeply committed - give direction. Stop the bullying.

Oxford University Press2019-08-30

September 6, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re grateful that you have taken the time to share your thoughts about working at OUP, though we regret to see that you didn’t enjoy your time here. We’re particularly concerned by your comment about bullying, for which we have a zero-tolerance policy. If you have experienced any behaviour that you feel is unethical, please consider reporting it to our confidential external helpline – SpeakUp@expolink.co.uk – so that we can investigate it further. Alternatively, you can tell us more by contacting glassdoor@oup.com

"Could be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kettering, England

I worked at Oxford University Press part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some very friendly colleagues. Good friends were made.

Cons

Pretty much everything . Too much to learn and your expected to know everything within 3 months. The systems are out dated and poor.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to listen to staff and make out their voice matters. It doesn’t. They pride themselves in retaining the best talent which is a joke as they’ve all left. The ones that work hard are constantly let down by the incompetence of others. Those others continue to get away with that behaviour. One Manager in particular is not fit for the job. As long as there are bottoms on seats churning out the work... and providing the figures to report back to Oxford then he’s happy. Serious overhaul of Management is needed as their processes are out of date.

Oxford University Press2019-09-18

October 2, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, and we regret to see that you didn’t enjoy your time at OUP. We would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more depth, particularly some of the comments you make around management. If you want to tell us any more, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

8. "Lovely place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment friendly easy going

Cons

No pressure no commission structure

Oxford University Press2019-08-15

August 29, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your time at OUP. You can tell us more about your experiences by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

9. "Supportive employer with good chances for development"

Current Employee - Senior Production Editor in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career development opportunities, societies/clubs, nice office environment

Cons

location, high living and travel costs

Oxford University Press2019-07-30

August 2, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks so much for the positive review. We’re really pleased that you are enjoying working with us. If you want to expand on any of the points you highlight in your review – both good and bad – then please get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

10. "Good Company, like all has its issues"

Current Employee - Product Management Resources Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, people, opportunities, interesting work

Cons

Slowness of progress, political blockers, decision making for lower levels can be frustrating at times

Advice to Management

Be open and honest at all times

Oxford University Press2019-07-30

August 2, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review, and for sharing your feedback. There’s a lot of work going on across OUP right now to try and simplify our processes and speed up our decision making. If you’d like to tell us more about any specific experiences, or indeed if you’d like to expand on any other points in your review, you can reach us via glassdoor@oup.com.

Found 112 reviews