Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated 13 Aug 2020

3.1
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Holiday car pay Work life balance(in 62 reviews)

• "A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need more investments in the publishing operations if OUP is going to be an active participant in the new publishing environment(in 66 reviews)

• "Low pay and slow career progression(in 48 reviews)

1. "oup review"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in London, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice comfortable pleasant growing fun

Cons

bad uncomfortable unpleasant non growing not fun

July 14, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the review. You can share any more information on your experiences of OUP by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

2. "Company review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

good place to work and colleagues are friendly

Cons

hard to progress in your role

3. "Steady place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A bit behind the times, but moving in the right direction. Some amazingly talented people in middle management but sometimes it takes a long time for them to be listened to. Lovely people to work with.

Cons

It’s a bit behind the times - two steps forward, one step back.

4. "Undergoing lots of change, but heading in the right direction"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

Educated and intelligent bunch, some really good pragmatic and personable people, drive to succeed

Cons

Inconsistent portfolio prioritisation due to changing central strategy - although I know this has changed since I left to make improvements.

August 5, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate your feedback and your recommendation. We’re really proud of our people, their talents, and their commitment to upholding our mission. If you would like to expand on any aspects of your review, then please do get in touch with us directly via glassdoor@oup.com.

"ELT Editorial"

Current Employee - Production Editor in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Immediate peers are friendly and helpful. The role has a lot of variance. Freedom to work from home. My immediate line manager can't be faulted for the time she puts into her reports.

Cons

Salary is too low by industry standards and against Oxford living costs. There is unclear progression from Production Editors to Content Editors in the department, staff are encouraged to apply for Content positions and turned down too often creating a negative feeling for crossover. There is a feeling of superiority of Content Editors against Production Editors. Production are often treated as assistants and kept out of project conversations, making their work much more difficult. Management do not seem to have any idea how products are developed or the time required to create them. Deadlines are most often too tight which results in stressful conditions.

July 14, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We’re really pleased to hear your feedback on your colleagues, and your work. However we would like to understand more about some of the challenges you are experiencing at OUP around reward, culture, and management. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Good employer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Salary, Bonus Good line management, Supportive environment

Cons

Slow to make changes Cuts in lieu of industry challenges but still expectation to hit same targets

May 21, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to see that you would recommend OUP to others, and are enjoying your time working here. If you would like to expand on any of the points you raise in your review, then please do get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Underhand tactics and bad management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Editorial in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

good co workers good facilities historically good contractual terms

Cons

bad management HR who force the workforce to amend their contract either voluntarily or via redundancy and rehire. This has happened multiple times and sets a worrying trend whereby OUP can hire people with what seem like fantastic contractual terms but amend them when they wish. Surely this is illegal?

May 6, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and would like to reassure you that OUP is committed to operating fairly, ethically, and in compliance with the law at all times. If you would like to tell us more about your specific concerns, we encourage you to get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

8. "Good environment, more transparency and work life balance needed"

Current Employee - Development Editor in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Good environment, supportive managers, increasing opportunities for job shadowing and secondments

Cons

Opaque salary and job structure, lack of resources for staff, overworking

April 27, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We really appreciate your feedback. If you would like to expand on any of the points you raise, particularly your comments around work-life balance and reward, then please do get in touch by emailing us at glassdoor@oup.com.

9. "Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place for graduates to develop.

Cons

Nothing of significance to mention

February 28, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the recommendation! If you’d like to expand on your review at all please email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

10. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chichester, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holiday car pay Work life balance

Cons

Territory size, commission, job progression

January 20, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your feedback and we’re really pleased to hear that you would recommend working with us. You can tell us more about your experiences by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

Found 338 reviews