Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated 2 Mar 2021

3.6
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Welcoming, social, and ethical organisation"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great atmosphere, very social and welcoming with a lot of different networks - valuing employees as people not numbers. Also mission-led and ethical, with an important attitude towards and focus on diversity and accessibility. A large organisation that offers lots of opportunities to explore new teams, functions, and locations.

Cons

Quite low pay across the board in Marketing/at lower levels compared to other commercial companies (though balanced out by other benefits).

March 1, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review, and we’re delighted to hear that you are enjoying working at OUP. We are so proud of our people—the enthusiasm they bring, their commitment to our mission, and their willingness to support each other. If you want to share any further details, then you can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

2. "a good place to work for language enthusiasts"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

nice people and lax atmosphere, great place for someone who loves languages

Cons

pay below average, not a full transparency

March 1, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you review, and in particular your feedback on our people. If you want to expand on any of the points you have raised, you can get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

3. "nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice place to work as a graduate

Cons

Limited career opportunities later on

February 5, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the recommendation. If you want to expand on any of the points of your review – good or bad – then please do email us on glassdoor@oup.com.

"Could use some work."

Current Employee - Group Technology in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The travel to work scheme, the building and people are all incredible.

Cons

a lot of changes happening with very little planning ahead, or care for the people who will receive the brunt of the work when anything goes wrong. Very little communication, especially now we're all remote working. There's more care of 'getting things done fast' than customer service, and we are advised to do less in the way of 'going the extra mile' and to stick to our basic jobs. it used to be a varied and interesting role where we would all do a multitude of things, whereas now the assignments are allocated to specific people and it feels much more like a line than it does a team.

February 1, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences, though we are naturally concerned by some of the points you raise. It’s important to us that our people feel like they, and their skills, are valued, especially during these unusual times. We would really welcome the chance to speak to you, to understand more about your specific experiences and where you feel we need to improve. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch: glassdoor@oup.com.

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in London, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press part-time

Pros

It’s a great atmosphere and the pay is good

Cons

The progression is quite limited

February 3, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's great to hear you're enjoying your time at OUP. If you’d like to share anything else with us, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

6. "Review"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press part-time

Pros

Great team and good opportunities

Cons

There is not much of innovation and things take a long time

January 28, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful for your feedback. If you would like to share anything else, you can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

7. "Living wage employer & good training"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Kettering, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company pays a real living wage for a 35 hour working week, and pays extra for overtime. Training is ongoing and there is a lot of support.

Cons

Some of the sites and systems are slow and outdated

January 21, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your review - we’re delighted to see that you’re enjoying your time with us and would recommend us to others. You can tell us more about your experiences by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"You can't do twice as much with half the people"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice facilities, good communication and policies over Covid 19 good place to learn the ropes of academic publishing

Cons

Moves to cut down on employee numbers, redundancy and outsourcing not matched by any reduction in the number of projects expected of people. i know plenty of people who have been at the end of their tether for years, being overwhelmed and constantly feeling on the edge of breakdown.

March 1, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re grateful that you have taken the time to leave us a review. We’re really pleased that you have been able to benefit from our facilities, communication, and policies, especially during the pandemic, but are naturally concerned by your comments around expectations. We really want to make sure our people feel supported, rewarded, and that they are able to find the right balance between their work and personal lives. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail about your experiences, and where you feel we can improve. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch: glassdoor@oup.com.

9. "Good place for short stay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Kettering, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely people and a good atmosphere

Cons

Not enough pay for the work you do in certain departments

10. "xx"

Former Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Good place to work in Oxford

Cons

Pace of work very hard at times

January 11, 2021OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for sharing your experiences and it’s great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. You can expand on any of the points in your review by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 420 English Reviews