Oxford University Press Reviews

Updated Sep 22, 2021

Found 479 of over 898 reviews

3.4
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Welcoming, social, and ethical organisation

Feb 24, 2021 - Marketing Manager in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere, very social and welcoming with a lot of different networks - valuing employees as people not numbers. Also mission-led and ethical, with an important attitude towards and focus on diversity and accessibility. A large organisation that offers lots of opportunities to explore new teams, functions, and locations.

Cons

Quite low pay across the board in Marketing/at lower levels compared to other commercial companies (though balanced out by other benefits).

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review, and we’re delighted to hear that you are enjoying working at OUP. We are so proud of our people—the enthusiasm they bring, their commitment to our mission, and their willingness to support each other. If you want to share any further details, then you can get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

a good place to work for language enthusiasts

Feb 23, 2021 - Project Coordinator in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

nice people and lax atmosphere, great place for someone who loves languages

Cons

pay below average, not a full transparency

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you review, and in particular your feedback on our people. If you want to expand on any of the points you have raised, you can get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

Fine

Sep 14, 2021 - Editor in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice and community feel

Cons

The pay is lower than average

4. 4.0

Good company

Jul 29, 2021 - Assistant Editor in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Good Community Dynamic Global Supportive with mental and physical health concerns

Cons

Low pay Poor progression Company is now encouraging 'Digital First' at the expense of a lot

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review, it’s great to see that you have felt supported by the welfare we have in place for our staff and have experienced a good work-life balance. On your point around pay and progression, ensuring our people feel rewarded for their work and supporting in their career progression is extremely important to us, and that’s why we carry out regular pay benchmarking and have a mentorship programme in place to support career development. In response to the advice you have provided, the last 18 months have highlighted the need to be innovative and forward-thinking, which has been rapidly accelerated due to the pandemic, in order to adapt to the digital landscape. However, we’re always seeking to understand what’s working well, and where we can make improvements, so if you’d like to expand on your feedback further, please get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

5. 4.0

opportunities for growth

Jul 23, 2021 - Financial Analyst in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

growth, opportunities to move around and develop.

Cons

takes a while to move up

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review, it's great to see you would recommend working at OUP to others. If there’s anything else you would like to share with us, please consider emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

OUP

Jul 7, 2021 - Data Analyst in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Important mission; likeable coworkers; reasonable level of autonomy

Cons

Poor salary; limited personal development/training options; limited opportunities for progression

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for sharing your review - we are really proud of our mission and all the amazing people that we have working towards fulfilling it. It's important to us that our people feel rewarded for the work they do, which is why we implemented our fair pay principles last year and continue to benchmark on a regular basis. We also work hard to ensure our channels of communication are valuable for all our staff and would welcome your feedback on how we can improve further in this area - please consider emailing us at glassdoor@oup.com.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

OK company

Jun 20, 2021 - Editorial in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prestigious company, learned a lot.

Cons

Difficult to progress, salary lower than average.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your review – it’s great to see you’ve learned a lot during your time at OUP so far. Rewarding hard work is an extremely important area for us, which is why we have implemented fair pay principles and carry out regular benchmarking exercises for salaries. We also want all our people to feel supported in their professional development and go on to have long, successful careers with us. If you have any ideas on how we can improve on this, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience

Jun 16, 2021 - Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management and great team environment

Cons

No bonus no growth opportunities

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your feedback, especially the nice comment around our managers. We want to reassure you that rewarding our people for their hard work, and supporting their career development, are two key focus areas for us. If you have any ideas on how we can improve, or wish to discuss your experience in more detail, please consider emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

lions led by donkeys

Jul 2, 2021 - General Dogsbody in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

quiet, since no one talks to anyone

Cons

shoved in a corner and treated like a work experience kid for 5 years

5 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We are saddened to read your feedback and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further - please consider emailing us at glassdoor@oup.com.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fine

Jun 9, 2021 - Publisher in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can do attitude among majority of work force Some benefits

Cons

Erosion of benefits now systematic Low digital capabilities for business of its size

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you for your review - we’re saddened to see that you wouldn’t recommend working at OUP to others. We recognize the need to be innovative and forward-thinking, which has been rapidly accelerated due to the pandemic, and have projects in the pipeline that will provide great opportunities for us as we continue to adapt to the digital landscape. If you have any ideas on how we can improve in this area, or any of the other areas you mention, please get in touch with us at glassdoor@oup.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 479 Reviews