Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "oup"

Updated Dec 9, 2020

Found 76 of over 911 reviews

3.5
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "oup"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Oxford University Press

Sep 6, 2020 - Editor in Oxford, England, England

Pros

Cons

Highly competitive, and Oxford is expensive

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate your feedback and it's great to see that you enjoyed your time at OUP. If you would like to expand on any of the points you make within your review, then you can email us at glassdoor@oup.com.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work... if you can afford it

Sep 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Highly educated, progressive, friendly colleagues -Excellent work-life balance -Good for both team-based and independent work styles -High profile brand to add to CV -Matching pension contributions up to 11%

Cons

Contrary to popular belief, the Oxford brand is not synonymous with money: -Salary is simply not competitive. Period. -The default is to do things on the cheap. Have one person do the work of 2-3 people. Have employees volunteer to do for free what should be contracted externally, and paid at an appropriate market rate. -Lack of technology understanding among middle management. Some people genuinely don't grasp the calibre of the amazing talent they have, and how much it's really worth in the labour market. -Replacing leavers is not a policy by default. Overworked remaining employees have to complain repetitively for new hires before new vacancies are authorised. This can either not happen at all, or take months. In the meantime, additional workload needs to be taken care of, with no pay raise. (But to be fair, this is common in many organisations, not just OUP). -Sadly the one financial great benefit, the pension matching, is calculated on meagre salaries, and only goes up to 11% if you contribute 9% yourself. This only works if you do not need the money in the short term. All of the above can make working at OUP great for two types of people: 1. Young, recent graduates with zero financial responsibilities 2. Seasoned colleagues who already have made the rounds and have accrued a sizeable pension. Sadly, OUP simply does not work for middle-career professionals with big upcoming life projects (that new house, that new member of the family, that advanced degree...). Working at OUP is just simply not affordable. A shiny brand on your CV that does not pay your mortgage.

7 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful that you took the time to share your experiences about working at OUP. While it’s great to see your positive feedback on our people, brand, and culture, we’re concerned by some of the points you raise around reward and mental health. Supporting and reward our employees for their work and commitment is incredibly important to us, and we’d appreciate the chance to discuss the points you raise in more detail. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Underhand tactics and bad management

May 1, 2020 - Editorial in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good co workers good facilities historically good contractual terms

Cons

bad management HR who force the workforce to amend their contract either voluntarily or via redundancy and rehire. This has happened multiple times and sets a worrying trend whereby OUP can hire people with what seem like fantastic contractual terms but amend them when they wish. Surely this is illegal?

12 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and would like to reassure you that OUP is committed to operating fairly, ethically, and in compliance with the law at all times. If you would like to tell us more about your specific concerns, we encourage you to get in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Please avoid this company

Aug 9, 2019 - Publisher in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As others have said, there is a nice coffee bar and gym

Cons

Any prospective applicant must make up their own minds about applying for a role of course. There are some nice comments on here about OUP and some less so. These are solely my personal opinions on working at OUP. Sadly, as a long-term employee I would strongly advise someone to keep well-clear and I would definitely not recommend OUP to a friend. Perhaps OUP used to be a nice place to work in the past, but don't let the academic image fool you. In my opinion, it's increasingly a very ruthless money-making machine with a concern only for the (eye-wateringly high) profits it makes and very little else. I have been taking anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication for several years now and need them to continuing working here. The stress levels are extremely high and the career progression prospects are very poor (as others have noted on here). Many people at the ‘coal-face’ are massively under-valued across different teams. There is no way I could work at OUP without medication and it's a sad reflection on me that I've not had the courage or resolve to get out. In my opinion, the senior management is pretty oblivious to all but their own needs. I would say when you reach that level it's a good place to work as you can side-step the day-to-day disasters, delegate downwards and get decently paid as a result. But repeated staff surveys, certainly in my department at least, have shown poor rating for these people. OUP says that it's looking at these sorts of issues but it's HR's role to protect the company as a whole. Individuals feel like a secondary concern despite the regular sound-bites that get sent to us. Moral is generally low. Yes, I am bitter but for good reasons. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive OUP for what it has done to me and my health over these past few years. Please, please find a kinder, less ruthless and more highly-regarded employer. There are plenty out there and you deserve better.

19 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience at OUP, and for the struggles you’ve gone through with your mental health. Many of us face difficulties with our mental health at different points and to different degrees. We want to create a culture where people can raise concerns and know that they will be supported. There are many examples where OUP has worked in partnership with employees to support them through any personal challenges they may be experiencing, and I would strongly encourage you to talk to us so we can help you as far as possible. Taking that first step can be hard, but we now have the Speak-up service where you can raise concerns anonymously if needed. However I would also encourage you to speak to your line manager, or if you don’t feel comfortable speak to the HR BP for your area or send me an email and I will happily talk to you, to make sure you’re receiving the right support. Lesley, HR Director

5. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Fantastic culture! Business and digital transformation means exciting times ahead

Jun 25, 2019 - Interim Global Talent Development Director in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with smart and committed people who are genuine about the organisation's mission. A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people. Executive management are stepping up and owning the talent and career development agenda. Work-life balance.

Cons

Being a globally distributed organisation means that communication and people initiatives don't always "land" consistently. Many colleagues work at OUP in an almost "vocational" capacity, see no reason to change and would like things to stay just as they always been!

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback. We're so glad you agree that our people are committed to our mission - it is something we are very proud of. We also recognize the challenges of implementing change, so if you would like to offer any more on your thoughts around that, we would love to hear from you at glassdoor@oup.com

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Oxford University Press is a wonderful place to work

Apr 17, 2019 - Production Controller in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

By far the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have ever worked with. The company has a good flexible working policy which is great if you have a family. There is a gym, you get discounts off some nice restaurants/ bars in town and free entry to the botanical gardens, among other perks. If you are a book lover, then OUP is a wonderful place to work - we also have frequent talks from select authors and regular book sales. I'm always busy, but I would never consider myself overworked. My work stays at work, so the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Technology can be a bit behind at OUP but this is improving. The coffee can be terrible (but the surrounding area has an abundance of great coffee shops).

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the review - it’s great to hear you would recommend us as a place to work and that you agree our people are great. You can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com if you would like to discuss any of your thoughts.

7. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Fantastic Place

Mar 26, 2019 - Release Manager in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have had the privilege as a contractor to have worked in some wonderful places both here in the UK and in Europe. It has never been for me the physical location of the office that has made a workplace great but the people you work with day to day both superiors and subordinates With that in mind Oxford University Press has to be up there as one of the best places I have worked. I say one of the best as that is not to do a disservice to other great people and places I have worked. OUP has right the blend both culturally and professionally for it to be the right fit for most people who are looking for balance both personal and professional. I work in IT and am based in Oxford and yes there are frustrations but not enough to warrant a public castration of everyone or OUP as whole. Isn’t the point of the frustration to recognise them and make effort to alleviate them so we can worker better short, medium and long term? I have wonderful colleagues and incredibly supportive leadership who have recognised my skill set and have worked hard to keep me in a role. This for me deserves my loyalty and for me come in to work every day and be committed to projects I am on. How many of you reading this can say that?

Cons

Not OUP related but traffic is constant thorn in everyone's side

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thank you very much for your review, it was very encouraging to read. Our people and our culture are very important to us, so it was particularly good to see you agree that our colleagues are such an asset. Please feel free to contact us at glassdoor@oup.com if you want to share anything else.

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sad decline of a Great Company

Mar 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Location to local resident,s can now be the only positive I could think of :(

Cons

I have with heaviness in my heart, over the last 5 years watch the CTO (who by the way looks through employees as if they don't even exist, even when eye contact is made and a clear GOOD MORNING directed his way) and "Global IT" slowly, and methodically dismantle a company once world renowned. The level of leadership sometimes astounds me at the sheer incompetence it displays on now an almost daily basis, with a clear "couldn't care attitude" We in the divisions watch on in disbelief as firstly outsourced IT support took place, symbolically executed, and now with further mouth agog, watch while the same team begin setting up a so called "Support Base" in Budapest. Will OUP learn from their mistakes, no probably not. Will they go bankrupt and collapse, no probably not either - but never before in my 5 years have I seen such terrible mismanagement in the technology areas.

15 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

I was sorry to read this review. Having just this week joined OUP as the Interim CIO, I look forward to fostering a positive culture and working environment in which we can all do our best work, in order to continue OUP’s digital transformation. As a current colleague, please do come and talk to me directly about your concerns. - Tim Fulton

9. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Very friendly organisation, but somewhat dysfunctional

Feb 6, 2019 - Intern in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff at OUP are lovely- they are intelligent, warmly welcoming, don't fetishise hierarchy, and are very willing to engage and provide advice. The vast majority seem to really enjoy their work and to have a good work-life balance. As an intern, it is relatively easy to get an actual job within the organisation upon completion.

Cons

From an operations perspective, the business is rather siloed and dysfunctional. This can make it hard to get things done quickly.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for your feedback. It's great to read you liked the people here - we agree they are lovely! We also note your thoughts on our operations - if you want to speak to us about this please feel free to contact us at glassdoor@oup.com

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Digital product development seems to be stuck in the 90s

Feb 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great and enthusiuastic talent (mostly at the junior and mid-level). OUP seems to attract interesting and amenable people. Very rich digital content, strong brand. Great office location - beautiful quad, good canteen. Good on the CV (at least while the brand remains strong)

Cons

From a digital and senior management perspective, very risk averse and hesitant to embrace modern product development. Struggling to adopt agile processes and reluctant to really change and devolve authority to those closer to the products. Power and decision making concentrated at the top, little autonomy at the bottom.

10 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate the feedback. We are glad that our brand and people have been a positive for you, and appreciate your thoughts on change and digital development within the organization. How we approach change and navigate digital transformation is something we are actively focusing on at the moment but there is always more we can do, so all views are helpful in gauging the internal landscape in that regard. If you would like to expand on any of your points, please email us at glassdoor@oup.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 76 Reviews