Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

Found 56 of over 911 reviews

3.5
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

• Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Fantastic culture! Business and digital transformation means exciting times ahead

Jun 25, 2019 - Interim Global Talent Development Director in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with smart and committed people who are genuine about the organisation's mission. A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people. Executive management are stepping up and owning the talent and career development agenda. Work-life balance.

Cons

Being a globally distributed organisation means that communication and people initiatives don't always "land" consistently. Many colleagues work at OUP in an almost "vocational" capacity, see no reason to change and would like things to stay just as they always been!

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback. We're so glad you agree that our people are committed to our mission - it is something we are very proud of. We also recognize the challenges of implementing change, so if you would like to offer any more on your thoughts around that, we would love to hear from you at glassdoor@oup.com

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work... if you can afford it

Sep 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Highly educated, progressive, friendly colleagues -Excellent work-life balance -Good for both team-based and independent work styles -High profile brand to add to CV -Matching pension contributions up to 11%

Cons

Contrary to popular belief, the Oxford brand is not synonymous with money: -Salary is simply not competitive. Period. -The default is to do things on the cheap. Have one person do the work of 2-3 people. Have employees volunteer to do for free what should be contracted externally, and paid at an appropriate market rate. -Lack of technology understanding among middle management. Some people genuinely don't grasp the calibre of the amazing talent they have, and how much it's really worth in the labour market. -Replacing leavers is not a policy by default. Overworked remaining employees have to complain repetitively for new hires before new vacancies are authorised. This can either not happen at all, or take months. In the meantime, additional workload needs to be taken care of, with no pay raise. (But to be fair, this is common in many organisations, not just OUP). -Sadly the one financial great benefit, the pension matching, is calculated on meagre salaries, and only goes up to 11% if you contribute 9% yourself. This only works if you do not need the money in the short term. All of the above can make working at OUP great for two types of people: 1. Young, recent graduates with zero financial responsibilities 2. Seasoned colleagues who already have made the rounds and have accrued a sizeable pension. Sadly, OUP simply does not work for middle-career professionals with big upcoming life projects (that new house, that new member of the family, that advanced degree...). Working at OUP is just simply not affordable. A shiny brand on your CV that does not pay your mortgage.

7 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful that you took the time to share your experiences about working at OUP. While it’s great to see your positive feedback on our people, brand, and culture, we’re concerned by some of the points you raise around reward and mental health. Supporting and reward our employees for their work and commitment is incredibly important to us, and we’d appreciate the chance to discuss the points you raise in more detail. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sales

Jan 7, 2020 - Sales Representative in Chichester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Holiday car pay Work life balance

Cons

Territory size, commission, job progression

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your feedback and we’re really pleased to hear that you would recommend working with us. You can tell us more about your experiences by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Meaningful mission with wonderful, cash-strapped colleagues

Nov 20, 2019 - Commissioning Editor in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong mission, great colleagues, good work-life balance, brilliant location

Cons

Salaries do not reflect cost of living

1 person found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to see that you’re enjoying your time with us. We know so many of our colleagues are proud of our mission. It’s also great to hear that you have been able to achieve a good work-life balance; it’s something we want to help all of our people achieve. If you would like to share any further feedback, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Oxford University Press is a wonderful place to work

Apr 17, 2019 - Production Controller in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

By far the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have ever worked with. The company has a good flexible working policy which is great if you have a family. There is a gym, you get discounts off some nice restaurants/ bars in town and free entry to the botanical gardens, among other perks. If you are a book lover, then OUP is a wonderful place to work - we also have frequent talks from select authors and regular book sales. I'm always busy, but I would never consider myself overworked. My work stays at work, so the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Technology can be a bit behind at OUP but this is improving. The coffee can be terrible (but the surrounding area has an abundance of great coffee shops).

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the review - it’s great to hear you would recommend us as a place to work and that you agree our people are great. You can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com if you would like to discuss any of your thoughts.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nice Workplace

Feb 11, 2019 - Administrator in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely office, great people, friendly atmosphere that makes you feel valued. Good work life balance, flexible hours.

Cons

Very low pay, slow career progression, company slow to respond to market changes

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi there, thank you for your post it’s much appreciated. It’s great that you are enjoying the atmosphere here and agree that our people are one of our strengths. Thanks also for your thoughts on pay and progression. If you’d like to share anything more please do reach out to us at glassdoor@oup.com.

7. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Very friendly organisation, but somewhat dysfunctional

Feb 6, 2019 - Intern in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff at OUP are lovely- they are intelligent, warmly welcoming, don't fetishise hierarchy, and are very willing to engage and provide advice. The vast majority seem to really enjoy their work and to have a good work-life balance. As an intern, it is relatively easy to get an actual job within the organisation upon completion.

Cons

From an operations perspective, the business is rather siloed and dysfunctional. This can make it hard to get things done quickly.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for your feedback. It's great to read you liked the people here - we agree they are lovely! We also note your thoughts on our operations - if you want to speak to us about this please feel free to contact us at glassdoor@oup.com

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

All round great place to work!

Jan 31, 2019 - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work culture and great work life balance -The mission of helping people is at the heart of everything you do -Lovely people and great, supportive managers

Cons

-A little stuck in the past with its ways of working at times, but open to improvements! -Notorious for paying less than other employers

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for the review – it’s really good to hear you enjoyed your time at OUP and that our culture and mission contributed to that. Your feedback on pay and improvements is also really helpful. If you want to share anything further please feel free to reach out to us at glassdoor@oup.com

9. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Global VAT/GST manager, indeed a true global role dealing with 69 countries

Aug 14, 2018 - Global VAT/GST Manager in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work-life balance The kind colleagues The gym and cafeteria

Cons

A typical 'charity' so the business pace is low and if you are used to commercial multinationals, it sometimes require extra patience.

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. It’s great to see that you are enjoying your time here and would recommend OUP to others. We know a lot of people enjoy our on-site perks in Oxford, such as the gym and restaurant! If you have any ideas on anything that you think could be done differently, particularly around your comments on business pace and decision making, please do get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Could do better

Feb 8, 2018 - Project Manager in Oxford, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Prestigious Good purpose & everyone supports it - English Language division People are proud to work there

Cons

Too complex and detail oriented Hard to come from another industry Little support for temporary workers

2 people found this review helpful

OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really proud of our people and our purpose, so thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re trying to get better at tackling complexity at OUP but would love to hear your ideas for what else we could be doing differently: glassdoor@oup.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56 Reviews