Oxford University Press Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 16 Jan 2021

3.7
Oxford University Press CEO Nigel Portwood (no image)
Nigel Portwood
Pros
  • "Good brand value, good work life balance(in 68 reviews)

• "OUP is a friendly, congenial working environment with excellent amenities and worker benefits(in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is by no means to say that OUP is perfect(in 71 reviews)

• "Poor communication, low pay, high turnover(in 50 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fantastic culture! Business and digital transformation means exciting times ahead"

5.0
    Former Contractor - Interim Global Talent Development Director in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press for less than a year

Pros

Working with smart and committed people who are genuine about the organisation's mission. A nascent focus on change and digital transformation is going to make OUP an exciting (and career-defining) place to work for many people. Executive management are stepping up and owning the talent and career development agenda. Work-life balance.

Cons

Being a globally distributed organisation means that communication and people initiatives don't always "land" consistently. Many colleagues work at OUP in an almost "vocational" capacity, see no reason to change and would like things to stay just as they always been!

July 18, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks so much for your feedback. We're so glad you agree that our people are committed to our mission - it is something we are very proud of. We also recognize the challenges of implementing change, so if you would like to offer any more on your thoughts around that, we would love to hear from you at glassdoor@oup.com

2. COVID-19

"Great place to work... if you can afford it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Highly educated, progressive, friendly colleagues -Excellent work-life balance -Good for both team-based and independent work styles -High profile brand to add to CV -Matching pension contributions up to 11%

Cons

Contrary to popular belief, the Oxford brand is not synonymous with money: -Salary is simply not competitive. Period. -The default is to do things on the cheap. Have one person do the work of 2-3 people. Have employees volunteer to do for free what should be contracted externally, and paid at an appropriate market rate. -Lack of technology understanding among middle management. Some people genuinely don't grasp the calibre of the amazing talent they have, and how much it's really worth in the labour market. -Replacing leavers is not a policy by default. Overworked remaining employees have to complain repetitively for new hires before new vacancies are authorised. This can either not happen at all, or take months. In the meantime, additional workload needs to be taken care of, with no pay raise. (But to be fair, this is common in many organisations, not just OUP). -Sadly the one financial great benefit, the pension matching, is calculated on meagre salaries, and only goes up to 11% if you contribute 9% yourself. This only works if you do not need the money in the short term. All of the above can make working at OUP great for two types of people: 1. Young, recent graduates with zero financial responsibilities 2. Seasoned colleagues who already have made the rounds and have accrued a sizeable pension. Sadly, OUP simply does not work for middle-career professionals with big upcoming life projects (that new house, that new member of the family, that advanced degree...). Working at OUP is just simply not affordable. A shiny brand on your CV that does not pay your mortgage.

September 11, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really grateful that you took the time to share your experiences about working at OUP. While it’s great to see your positive feedback on our people, brand, and culture, we’re concerned by some of the points you raise around reward and mental health. Supporting and reward our employees for their work and commitment is incredibly important to us, and we’d appreciate the chance to discuss the points you raise in more detail. We hope you’ll consider getting in touch by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chichester, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holiday car pay Work life balance

Cons

Territory size, commission, job progression

January 20, 2020OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for your feedback and we’re really pleased to hear that you would recommend working with us. You can tell us more about your experiences by emailing glassdoor@oup.com.

"Meaningful mission with wonderful, cash-strapped colleagues"

Current Employee - Commissioning Editor in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong mission, great colleagues, good work-life balance, brilliant location

Cons

Salaries do not reflect cost of living

December 12, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

We’re really pleased to see that you’re enjoying your time with us. We know so many of our colleagues are proud of our mission. It’s also great to hear that you have been able to achieve a good work-life balance; it’s something we want to help all of our people achieve. If you would like to share any further feedback, please email glassdoor@oup.com.

5. "Oxford University Press is a wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Production Controller in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

By far the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have ever worked with. The company has a good flexible working policy which is great if you have a family. There is a gym, you get discounts off some nice restaurants/ bars in town and free entry to the botanical gardens, among other perks. If you are a book lover, then OUP is a wonderful place to work - we also have frequent talks from select authors and regular book sales. I'm always busy, but I would never consider myself overworked. My work stays at work, so the work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Technology can be a bit behind at OUP but this is improving. The coffee can be terrible (but the surrounding area has an abundance of great coffee shops).

April 30, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for the review - it’s great to hear you would recommend us as a place to work and that you agree our people are great. You can reach us at glassdoor@oup.com if you would like to discuss any of your thoughts.

6. "Nice Workplace"

Current Employee - Administrator in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely office, great people, friendly atmosphere that makes you feel valued. Good work life balance, flexible hours.

Cons

Very low pay, slow career progression, company slow to respond to market changes

February 18, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi there, thank you for your post it’s much appreciated. It’s great that you are enjoying the atmosphere here and agree that our people are one of our strengths. Thanks also for your thoughts on pay and progression. If you’d like to share anything more please do reach out to us at glassdoor@oup.com.

7. "Very friendly organisation, but somewhat dysfunctional"

Former Intern - Intern in Oxford, England

I worked at Oxford University Press for less than a year

Pros

Staff at OUP are lovely- they are intelligent, warmly welcoming, don't fetishise hierarchy, and are very willing to engage and provide advice. The vast majority seem to really enjoy their work and to have a good work-life balance. As an intern, it is relatively easy to get an actual job within the organisation upon completion.

Cons

From an operations perspective, the business is rather siloed and dysfunctional. This can make it hard to get things done quickly.

July 18, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for your feedback. It's great to read you liked the people here - we agree they are lovely! We also note your thoughts on our operations - if you want to speak to us about this please feel free to contact us at glassdoor@oup.com

8. "All round great place to work!"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Oxford University Press full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great work culture and great work life balance -The mission of helping people is at the heart of everything you do -Lovely people and great, supportive managers

Cons

-A little stuck in the past with its ways of working at times, but open to improvements! -Notorious for paying less than other employers

February 5, 2019OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Hi, thanks for the review – it’s really good to hear you enjoyed your time at OUP and that our culture and mission contributed to that. Your feedback on pay and improvements is also really helpful. If you want to share anything further please feel free to reach out to us at glassdoor@oup.com

9. "Global VAT/GST manager, indeed a true global role dealing with 69 countries"

Current Contractor - Global VAT/GST Manager in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press for less than a year

Pros

The work-life balance The kind colleagues The gym and cafeteria

Cons

A typical 'charity' so the business pace is low and if you are used to commercial multinationals, it sometimes require extra patience.

August 19, 2018OUP Glassdoor Account Manager

Thanks for leaving a review. It’s great to see that you are enjoying your time here and would recommend OUP to others. We know a lot of people enjoy our on-site perks in Oxford, such as the gym and restaurant! If you have any ideas on anything that you think could be done differently, particularly around your comments on business pace and decision making, please do get in touch via glassdoor@oup.com.

"Nice place to work, but structure suppresses innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Oxford University Press full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good: no expectation of working long hours in my experience. Atmosphere is good and people are generally friendly. Facilities are good. The educational mission of OUP is taken seriously, and is part of the culture.

Cons

New ideas are hard to get off the ground, and innovation tends to be suppressed under layers of management. Getting things done is not the culture: the culture is more about getting sign off from all possible stakeholders and avoiding risk. Behind the times in terms of technology.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56 English Reviews