PA Consulting Group Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
PA Consulting Group CEO and Director Alan Middleton
Alan Middleton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you look for work -life balance, this is the place" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great people and excellent work environment" (in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting opportunities and a great culture"

Current Employee - Consultant Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Consultant Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone who is new to consulting but experienced in software engineering, PA has been a breath of fresh air. I have had opportunities in my first months here that I never had after years elsewhere. Some of the unique pros for me are:
    - Collaborative culture
    - Ability to influence the working environment
    - Transparent career path
    - Management are hands on and approachable
    - Travel opportunities (depending on project)
    - Communication from senior management is frequent and transparent
    - Variable technology stack and ability for teams to decide on their own technologies to use

Cons

- Some projects can be a bit hectic
    - Some projects are not as exciting as others

Advice to Management

As Digital grows, try to preserve the current culture. In my experience, communication has been excellent and the collaborative culture across all of PA is something i've never come across before.

2. "Great people, fantastic future!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working in Consulting for over 18 years (4 with PA) and can honestly say that I could not recommend anywhere higher than PA. Main pros for me:
    - fantastic opportunities to grow and develop your skills both technically and in business development
    - great range of projects and clients with real opportunities to develop innovative solutions
    - travel is an option although having a young family 90% of my work has been in Belfast
    - Great staff with a real emphasis on camaraderie and in supporting each other

Cons

Not always a 9-5 but that reflects both the challenge and the excitement of contributing to a vibrant business!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in top talent and in supporting us develop and enhance our culture

3. "Highly dynamic and fast paced | PA Consulting"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are in full control of the direction your career goes.
    Compensation is a lot better than other companies
    Exciting work
    Decisions and input is valued and trusted by peers and management.
    Being part of a new venture within PA to build a place that we would like to work and given the opportunity to provide input at nearly every level is by far one of the biggest pros.

Cons

Assignment Managers can at times be unaware of what each other are doing leading to slight resource time issues, so far this seems to work itself out.

Advice to Management

It's early days but it would be nice to have some time focused per employee to really help them with goal setting.

4. "Great up and coming Digital venture"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very flexible working environment
    - Challenging work
    - Very flat structure
    - Co-workers experts in their fields
    - Great opportunities to get involved in company development
    - Good opportunities to travel

Cons

- Workload can be stressful
    - Managers on projects can be unaware of day to day goings on
    - Team is relatively new so one or two growing pains

Advice to Management

- Focus on ensuring that workloads are manageable for the staff available
    - Ensure there is time allocated for the company development, as this eats into programming time

5. "PA Consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PA is full of fantastic and inspiring people, who really care about making a difference. As an employee you have a lot of freedom and are empowered/encouraged to start new initiatives, try new things, and learn and develop all the time.

Cons

The lack of women in senior positions is disappointing.

"good and bad"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England

I worked at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some great people, and really interesting work in the Technology Innovation practice in particular.

Cons

i worked within a team with little direction or sense of purpose, everything driven by near term goals of utilisation . Senior hire largely left to just get on and sell with little collaboration or support.

Advice to Management

fix the disparity in culture and practice across the firm, and recognise the difference between building something new and simply farming a very big client for years and years. Both necessary, but need to be incentivised and rewarded differently.

7. "Good Company, Great People, Erratic Long Term Strategy"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, Interesting Work, A Lot of Autonomy

Cons

Hidebound Performance Structure, Linked Solely to In-Year Performance Factors That May Be Outside Your Control

8. "the curious, proactive and passionate need only apply"

Current Employee - Principal Electronics Engineer/Consultant in Melbourn, England

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am an engineer in the Cambridge office. Been at PA for 6 years (from a graduate). I have found the work very rewarding, with opportunities from day one to lead tasks (technical and people), meet and shape client thinking, and develop my technical interests/skills. Ultimately my work is highly specialist, makes a different to the world/clients and is novel (no repeat work, turning the handle). I have had great access to passionate senior employees and management to develop myself and steer my career. No one tells me how to use my time, I can choose what I get involved with. Colleagues are experts, dedicated and fun : and really care about getting high quality work into the real world. I have progressed four roles in six years, and worked only tuns of product development and R&D projects in that time. I have lots of opportunities to write proposals, discuss novels ways to solve new and existing client challenges. Plenty of training.

Cons

I can imagine for some people the fact you have to work hard could be a problem. you will have to take responsibility for your own opportunities (e.g. Roles on projects, sectors, type of work, types of technology) and career progression. PA will always support those who are showing ambition. Likewise, work life balance is something the individual has to manage.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop wellbeing support and processes. Consider more PV strategic investment in future technologies, so we have the future knowledge and experience, rather than solely relying on client opportunities or quite periods (which are really never).

9. "Review"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in London, England

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very people focused and you are in control of your own destiny in terms of assignments

Cons

Very utilisation focused which means you cant always shape your brand as much as you would like.

"Push too hard for revenue and headcount, and you will only get that"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual freedom, trust, some great colleagues, exposure to senior management of high-calibre clients.

Cons

- Bonuses are awarded on profits, while the company is pushing for growing revenue and headcount. Don't expect much bonus at year end.
    - We hire many while suffering a higher than average staff turnover. Quality of the new hires is at risk. Also, profits go down with headcount growth. See previous point.
    - Salary is less than average.
    - The new office looks and is great to work in, but there isn't much available when you want a break, apart from the instant coffee and still water (hot and cold).

Advice to Management

- Look after your people.
    - Increase transparency, make targets visible and openly discuss the implications of pursuing them.
    - Transform the internal IT: in 2018 I would expect to be able to access the company's intranet from the company owned mobile phone, as well as having a choice of laptops and tablets available for consultants.