PAREXEL Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

PAREXEL Chief Executive Officer Jamie Macdonald
Jamie Macdonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "poor work life balance, inhuman work load" (in 65 reviews)

• "upper management have little understanding of the operation" (in 34 reviews)

"Not too bad but would benefit so much from improvements"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits e.g. Pension, healthcare, flexible working, remuneration is better than some, not as good as others, company has a social conscience and supports community initiatives, work life balance is overall pretty good. The company ethos as a whole makes you feel valued. Modern office building and environment. First office I've worked in where I have not seen bullying, this is a credit to the office and company culture.

Cons

Weak and unskilled managers who are also not empowered to make change happen. Very stressful to get what you need done. Communication issues that result in poorly delivered process improvements that often make things worse. Staff are not always a good fit for their role, a clearer person specification should be devised to allow recruitment to be better so that unsuitable people are not taken on, with managers experienced in recruitment making the decisions. People's strengths and weaknesses are not recognised which leads to people being in the wrong roles, not being able to utilise their real abilities and then finding they're not able to develop and leaving or simply performing poorly in their role. It also leaves people feeling disengaged and not valued for their skills in their jobs and you feel like just a number rather than a person. Better managers could change all that.

Advice to Management

Align people's skills with their roles, employ proper people managers with the skills to do the job. It's nice to promote from within but just because someone is a good project manager, doesn't necessarily make them a good line manager as the skill sets are different. Maybe make more progression opportunities for senior project managers without moving them to management.
    Involve the people doing the work in decisions for improvement. Definitely do more to allow people to use their abilities rather than waste them. Set a higher standard of expected performance and develop those who are not hitting the mark rather than just let them carry on underachieving. Those hard discussions need to happen.

"Poor senior management leads to high attrition"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Nottingham, England

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting sector to work in and very good pension scheme.

Cons

Poor performing Senior Management team
    Inefficient processes
    Unreliable systems
    Long hours
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring it won't solve your problems. Listen to your employees, start tackling issues head on and making real, tangible improvements.
    Value and reward existing and loyal employees. Currently, new starters can command higher salaries than existing employees with vast experience. No obvious and fair pay structure. Often people doing the same role with same job demands with huge differences in pay.

"Sociable working environment but some decisions are lacking in direction"

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great sociable atmosphere and can work from home whenever you need to within reason. Great progression if you are good at what you do.

Cons

It's the only place I've ever worked where there is no information on salary bandings. When getting an internal promotion and offered a salary it is impossible to know where you are in the banding. Decisions are also often made on technology without any thought of how to implement it which just means stretching people beyond capacity at times which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Make more use of consultations - it can feel very much like lip service when employees have good points to make and great ideas for implementation.

4. "Is a good companty to progress career."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England

Pros

Career development,Team chemistry, Customer Focus, benefits

Cons

Salary, career development past a point,

Advice to Management

none

5. This is the end of reviews that meet your filter criteria (UK - All Cities). Below you will find more reviews from other countries

"Not a positive environment. Grateful for leaving."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Billerica, MA (US)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Benefits are good. The people who actually care about the job are great. Unfortunately nothing else worth noting sorry.

Cons

Department I was in was very much mismanaged. I put in a lot of time and effort into the job but never even received acknowledgment for any of the after hours or weekend work. For me the environment was toxic. The director of the department actually said “company first people second” I mean even if that is true it’s probably not the best thing to share.

The department was not open to any input from the employees and the speak up part of the “high performance culture” was absolutely discouraged.

I have always been a high performer in my career but this job actually made me question my value. Thank goodness I left and see now there was no need to question myself. It was 100% the organization.

Advice to Management

Try and appreciate hard work and listen to your employees. They are your only hope for redemption.

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Billerica, MA (US)

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work is great perk, saving commute time and freeing up hours during the day. Collaborative work environment, good people. One stop shop since the company is a CRO.

Cons

Company too big to succeed in every area. Management out of touch with systemic issues. The wheels grind slow in terms of initiating positive change. Lack of accountability when implementing IxRS systems.

Advice to Management

Offload underperforming divisions, return to what the company is good at. Bigger does not mean better it means bloated. Focus on the core mission, get your hands dirty and know the systems and people not just the metrics.

8. "Good company"

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love what I do. There is a lot to be learned and many opportunities to do so and to help other PM's.

Cons

I wish the culture was less finger pointing from management to the people on the trenches.

Advice to Management

Take accountability for your role when things goes south. Processes and tools need to be meaningful and useful. Update as regularly as you change processes and make sure the tools available contain meaningful and accurate information, i.e. current inbox addresses, current role titles.

"Working at PAREXEL"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Billerica, MA (US)

I worked at PAREXEL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary. Company is a leader in their field. Does well in the stockmarket.

Cons

No real leadership. People are given roles that they are not qualified for. Focus is on MONEY, not what is best for the customers.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the input of employees. We know the customers better than the management team.

10. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Warsaw (Poland)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Warsaw (Poland)

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meritocracy, fast-paced. Options to develop multiple skills, internaltional environment, challenging but rewarding.

Cons

You better work for the mainstream function as the most options and opportunitites are right there.

Advice to Management

I have no specific advice for Management that would be adding value here.

11. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at PAREXEL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers, Upper Management, Work from home options, relationship building, culture

Cons

Under staffed, high pressure deliverables, average PTO, salary caps