PageGroup Senior Manager Reviews

Steve Ingham
  1. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Guildford, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing culture and people to work with. Clear goals and targets.

Cons

Some people don't like sales.

Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and it’s good to hear from someone who has been with PageGroup for a while. I couldn’t agree with you more about the culture and the people, it’s why I have been here so long! We appreciate that sales doesn’t suit some people and we are honest about what a career here involves and support people with the training and coaching they need to be successful. I wish you all the best with your future career with PageGroup.

"Would go back any day"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved working for Page! I learned so much, tripled my salary in 4 years, worked with some amazing people and got some amazing opportunities. Negative reviews you might read are outdated; 8-6 working is a thing of the past, and flexible working has meant that employees come and go much more freely, and the office is a more relaxed and far less corporate place than the one I joined. Some departments are now completely dress down but even the more corporate ones (finance) are no longer wearing ties to work. Nowadays the company culture is very different all together. I never worked on the weekend or in the evenings, but it’s easy to get invested and as a manager I spent a lot of time telling my teams to switch off while on days off. This is a company that is very exclusive about its hires - if you have any concerns at all about a potential hire, they’re probably a no. Therefore everyone around you is pushing to move forwards and it’s extremely rare to overhear anyone moaning about the business. Despite being a global business, the SLT are extremely visible in local offices and take time to understand staff, even joining teams on celebratory nights out etc. Progression can be extremely fast, training is excellent, and support is always there should you ask for it, although once you know what you’re doing you are given a great deal of trust and freedom to do your job. Bonuses take a while to start as you build your market, but once they do they can be significant. In the meantime, and throughout, there are loads of smaller rewards along the way, ranging from public awarded bottles of champagne to trips abroad for top performers. They put you through your paces to get to management, and as such all the managers are truly inspiring. There are also loss of opportunities to move abroad, if that’s your thing, after a few years good service, or to move into different areas. The company, for a recruitment company, is extremely moralistic. Compliance checks ensure that revenue is properly signed off by clients and focus goes on maintaining clients long term relationships. That said, many clients see recruitment as an entirely free service, and will cancel roles after several weeks work etc. The company finds a great balance between customer service and commerciality, and the benefit of such a well known brand is they are I afraid to walk away from non commercial business. Over the last couple of years the business has transformed completely, investing more in technology and development than ever before, and reviewing and changing their corporate structure to better serve clients. If you’re looking for a great company that will progress you up your career and let you do some amazing things along the way, this is the one for you.

Cons

Nothing atypical of a big company. - Changes can be talked about for several months without ever moving forward, then someone can leave and everything changes very quickly. - You have to work in the next role up for some time before being promoted to it. The higher you go, the more hazy and less specific the targets for promotion become, and you have to put faith in the business that thy will promote you when they are ready. Of course, it’s a performance business, and the higher up the ladder you are the less you bill. As such, the higher up you are, the closer to the door you are should the team below you stop delivering. - bonuses can again be hard to predict. Since the bonus is dependant on both your personal performance and the wider teams, since bonus pots can be shared at a higher levels with other teams and since the team costs are never publicly shared (so people can’t work out colleagues salaries), working out likely bonuses is tough. Having said that, looking back on bonuses, they’ve always worked out fairly over the course of each year.

Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your comprehensive and balanced review and I’m pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed your time at PageGroup but you also saw the benefit of some of the positive changes and investments we have made in the business. Our culture has certainly evolved to reflect what our employees need and want and it’s good to hear someone dispelling the external myth that we still ask people to work long hours. Our bonus scheme reflects the importance of teamwork at Michael Page and also the way we work on behalf of our candidates and clients and we do strive to provide as much clarity as possible. Alongside the leadership development programme we have launched in the UK we are also working with our Global HR Director to review our senior talent management approach to provide more guidance and support as you progress within the business. There are always areas that we can improve on and I’m disappointed to hear that internal transfers haven’t been encouraged as we have so many opportunities to enable people to extend their experience and skills. I’m sorry that after such a positive experience with PageGroup you have chosen to pursue your career elsewhere but I wish you all the best in the future and hope that our paths may cross again.

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Liverpool, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've now been with Page Personnel for over 6 years and have been promoted 3 times at the senior level. Page has given me the opportunity to pursue my career aspirations and I'm now a Senior Manager with a team of 8/9 staff. The senior management team are really supportive and the company offers on-going training for those people wanting to grow within a company. The maternity package offered by Page is great and the support received when you are becoming a mum is definitely a positive.

Cons

Communication between different offices can sometimes not be the best due to the size of the company.

Beverley Nicholas, Regional Talent Director

Thank you for your review and congratulations on the success you have achieved so far at PageGroup, long may it continue! It’s good to hear you valued the maternity support we provide and it has enabled you to continue to pursue your career aspirations; it’s important to me that everyone has a chance to succeed here. The size of the business definitely has a bearing on communication but, alongside introducing our internal communication platform, we have regional and discipline arrangements to try and help with this. We also welcome employee recommendations – please feel free to send these to your line manager, or share these ideas using our internal communication platform.

4. "PageGroup: a genuinely good place to work for aspiring & diligent types"

Current Employee - Senior Management in London, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Excellent hiring strategy - colleagues collegiate and down-too-earth, so a great team dynamic * Powerful brand value - attracts top candidate and client population making the firm ideal for employees with a passion for building relationships, constant learning * Far improved systems over the years making more 'routine' recruitment activities less burdensome than other recruitment firms * Agile working pattern - perfect for family-oriented or hobby-bound employees - now very output focussed rather than time * Leading company benefits package compared to industry piers * More transparent and clear promotion track / international route * Award-winning Women @ Page (mentoring) and broader Diversity initiatives has had a positive impact on how all employees feel about being here - a deserved award that has far-reaching positive consequences

Cons

* Promotion track (whilst mentioned as a Pro) beyond a certain very senior level still lacks clarity - so far down the line for most that will likely have changed by then * Culture (as noted in Pros) very much down to direct team Managers and office environment you sit in; arguably can differ from location to location * Personal success at early stage of career very much down to who you report to and person responsible for training you (quality of training part can vary a lot) * Senior level training can tail-off as focus tends to be given to newer employees

Olly Watson, Executive Board Director UK & North America

Thank you for your comprehensive and honest feedback and it’s good to hear from someone who has been with PageGroup for so long. We are constantly looking to evolve and improve as a business and I’m pleased to hear that some of the areas we have been focusing on such as flexible benefits, diversity, dynamic working and our internal systems have been valuable for you. From a leadership development perspective we have introduced our behavioural framework, which extends across all levels in the organisation, to provide more clarity on performance expectations beyond revenue delivery. In addition we have launched our Leadership Development Programme in the UK which may be the next formalised step in your personal development, it’s worth speaking to your MD or a member of the Talent Development team about this. As we continue our international growth and review our global succession planning this will provide increased visibility on senior opportunities across the group. I remain committed to creating the best career and development opportunities for all our employees and I wish you continued success at PageGroup.

"Senior Manager"

2.0
    Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at PageGroup for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to have a reputation for high levels of service in the market place. Also used to provide high quality training for rookie consultants - sadly this has reduced over time and a shadow of former training offered to inexperienced consultants.

Cons

One of the worst and less transparent bonus structures in recruitment. You will never know what bonus you will receive as it will have no direct correlation to your own performance. At interview, try asking the question 'if I bill x , what bonus will I receive' . You will either be fobbed off with vague promises of 'best in the market' (it definitely isn't!) or be fobbed off with promises of career progression. You wont get a straight answer.

"MP review"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Weybridge, England

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team ethos, working with like minded individuals. You can progress your career within the UK or Internationally

Cons

Commission/Bonus structure is less than other organisations but you get full FTSE benefits in your wider package

"You won't know what hit you till it's too late."

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PageGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will learn some good sales skills if you are able to stick around. It is a fun culture if you are looking to party a lot. Get some decent experience but move on.

Cons

Michael Page realized that they had one too many bad reviews and then began to ask the mid tier managers to ask their consultants to write positive reviews. The problems stemmed from one too many of the male leaders in the company taking advantage of their power, if you know what I mean. I have seen so many people come into this company and completely ruin their relationship with their significant other because of the culture. Also, do you really want to work with that type of ravenous culture to be a part of your every day? If you didn't like frat boys and sorority girls in college, well guess what, you wont like them past their prime either. Something you have to ask yourself. The average turnover here is ridiculous. You will see a team of 10 people quickly lose 2-4 of its members within the first few months that you start. From there, the lasting members show you what this job does to you by immediately belittling and badmouthing those that have left. Very few people in this company carry any sort of respect in my mind. The horrible commission (about 10%) compared to industry standard is laughable once you start asking around. Mid and senior management is completely hit or miss depending on what team you land on. You may think that you know they will be a good manager based on getting along with them or having a good interview but won't actually know until you are on the job. They will also let you meet with people who will tell you how good it is to work there but those people are usually the only ones privileged enough to be in that position and they actually do love it. In reality only the strongest survive. I saw a strong correlation in that the higher you climb the ladder in this company the more I had questions about that persons integrity and overall the quality of the individual. If you want to be successful plan on working minimum 55 hours per week- I did much more than that when I started. The culture overall I would describe as toxic. Very male dominated culture. Don't take it just from me. Scroll through and read the reviews. The bad reviews here are much more a true representation than the good ones.

PageGroup Response

We encourage our employees to review their experiences with Michael Page, and it does not go beyond that. As with any sales organization, there is a standout culture, globally, supported by a constant buzz of activity. Above average results require above average sales activity. We understand that some will be suited for the task and some not. Turnover is not an issue unique to Michael Page or any worthy recruitment firm. Specific to this, we have implemented a thoughtful hiring and onboarding process to increase retention. Our main priority is to change the lives of the candidates and clients with whom we work. I am proud to know that the exceptional attitudes and values of our staff reflect this priority. Regarding compensation, the base salary and bonus structure at Michael Page is competitive with market standards and the reason our organization appeals to many recruitment professionals. Our business practices are ethical, professional, and effective, and I strongly disagree with the use of the word %E2%80%9Ctoxic.%E2%80%9D Contrary to a %E2%80%9Cmale dominated%E2%80%9D, %E2%80%9Cfrat house%E2%80%9D environment, our top performers and senior management are women and from a variety of backgrounds. If you want to be successful at Michael Page, you must be driven, hardworking, resilient, and passionate. Plain and simple. Thank you. Kurt Jeskulski, Senior Managing Director.

8. "Great school"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Madrid

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A place where you can manage your career

Cons

Hard work and resilience is the key for success

"Ever growing, market leader"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PageGroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

What I appreciate: Team based, interactive environment with high levels of shared business and cross selling which you seldom see in sales environments. The money. This is a sales role and hard work means more of it. Because of this I’ve been able to travel the world and experience so much more than I ever thought possible. The training is ace. The on-board training is excellent. But it doesn't stop there. Whatever your title, your managers stay close to you and are constantly tailoring their training to your specific development needs. This has led to a high level of promotions across the office. It's a performance-based culture. We give 20+ PTO days and on top of this, if you are hitting your goals, you’re empowered to run your own schedule and are given flexibility. We strive to be better. Every business has things they want to improve on. In everything MP does, even if they're already getting it right, they don't rest on this and are constantly doing taking steps to be better. The service that we offer is personal and real. It’s not just a numbers game. In our line of work, we're changing people’s lives in finding them new jobs or hires. The goal for each hire is to place someone into a long-term role in the hope that when they get promoted into a leadership role, they want to continue that relationship with us. Rewarding! Finally, the Chicago office has grown tremendously since I joined, both in size and culture. We’re moving into an edgy new office, have the best internal infrastructure that we’ve ever had (due to a high level of internal promotions) and have invested into Chicago based TA and Training functions.

Cons

Sales can be the best and worst job in the world, lots of highs and lows. It isn't for everyone. While we sell in a solutions orientated, consultative way, it is still sales and there are still targets, this isn't going to change. However, having worked in the industry for a long time, I firmly believe that MP set's the bar high. We expect a lot from our employees, however if you're willing to commit, you can move up very quickly and earn top money.

10. "Fun place"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at PageGroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gives you the skills to build a career good base and decent commission...overall comp is much higher in commission only environment a fun time for a job in your your 20s work hard and page hard Enjoyed trips to cabo, london, ny, etc.

Cons

technology and work life balance were behind the times

Found 18 reviews