Palantir Technologies Embedded Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 3 Feb 2017

5.0
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp

"Great mission, great product"

Former Employee - Embedded Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product was absolutely amazing and the mission couldn't by any better. You are providing technology and service that make our servicemen better and our country safe. You really feel like the product you represent makes a difference in the world.

Cons

The employees were a bit detached from the reality of their clients. The company was composed mainly of young guys who had been there since early on and had very little experience outside of Palantir. They brought on some MBAs, but that didn't really help either. Finally, by the time I left, they started to hire industry veterans to help them refine the product.

Palantir Technologies2017-02-03

"Great People, Opportunity to Own Outcome of Your Work"

Current Employee - Embedded Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People • Palantir has assembled the strongest group of people that I’ve ever had the privilege of working with, including a brilliant engineering team. • It’s extremely comforting to know that when someone says that they’ll do something, you don’t really have to think about it anymore. Ownership of Problems • I joined Palantir because I didn’t have an opportunity to own the outcome of any of the work I did at a large consulting firm. • Since my first month on the job I’ve been personally responsible for the outcome of the project that I’m working on. This can be stressful at times, but knowing that you’re empowered to control/drive the direction of a project is much better than the helpless feeling associated with a lack of ownership. • The company is very “flat” in the sense that decision-making authority is distributed down to the lowest level possible. There are support mechanisms in place to ensure that people have all of the resources that they need to make informed decisions. High Impact Work • Over the course of the last ~4 years since I’ve been at Palantir, we’ve continued to get access to larger and more impactful problems in the government space. • It’s always rewarding to see the output of a case/investigation/engagement that you worked on in the news a few days later.

Cons

Growth • The company has grown over 4x since I started a little less than four years ago, and that hasn’t always been the smoothest process. • In some cases direction from management can be a bit unclear, and we’ve also had some issues with internal processes breaking down at scale. However, in each of these cases I’ve always felt that I could get what I needed by reaching out directly to the individual(s) in question and simply asking. • As long as you’re comfortable taking the initiative and reaching out to folks to get what you need, I can’t imagine someone having any issues.

Palantir Technologies2015-05-21

"Most Rewarding and Exciting Job I’ve Ever Had"

Embedded Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies for more than 3 years

Pros

Being at Palantir has easily been the most rewarding and exciting job I’ve ever had. Specifically: • You get to work on big problems that matter. Mission-driven work isn’t a catch phrase here… employees have the opportunity to catch bad guys, help critical institutions function, and create real value. • We work with diverse customers that matter, and we get to take on their problem at scale. This means we don’t just work cases, but actually get to help change the way cases are worked. As someone who originally was looking at jobs in the national security world, this is a dream come true. • My colleagues are amazing. People here are motivated, support each other, and are exceptionally talented. • You own the outcome. There’s tremendous trust placed in the people who are on the actual deployment teams. We own the outcomes of our work (good or bad), which means we’re granted serious responsibility from day 1. • We’re a flat organization. This not only means that there’s decentralized decision-making, but also means everyone has input and can provide feedback on any part of the business. There’s an expectation that if you see something broken, you fix it, or find someone who can. • Bottom line: I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this company, work on the problems I have access to, and work alongside some of the most talented folks I’ve ever met.

Cons

It feels at times like our teams are stretched too thin. I know the recruiting team is working hard to find the next generation of Palantirians, but it’s still painful to be so short when there are so many important problems to solve.

Palantir Technologies2015-05-21

"Working on Epic Problems with Top Talent and an Unbelievable Culture"

Current Employee - Embedded Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Epic problems - You get to work on some of the most challenging problems facing some of the most important industries in the world in both public and private sectors. People - You get to work with some of the smartest, hardworking people in the world and build these friendships that last a lifetime. Palantirians are not just colleagues or coworkers, they're truly friends and if you can imagine some of your smartest friends starting a company together, that's Palantir. Autonomy - You have full autonomy to make decisions. Palantir puts a tremendous amount of trust in their people. Food - Getting locally sourced food three times a day is just one of the many things that Palantir does well. We all love good food and you Support and Operations - Everyone cares about the mission and you have top notch support and operations teams. Travel, events, recruiting, kitchen, facilities and the list goes on - everyone cares about the company, the culture, and mission which leads to amazing execution.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough to deal with. If you're in BD, you're likely traveling to client sites which are not always a drive away but rather a flight. Hotel living and sitting on planes and taxis gets really tiring but that's a tradeoff when working on some of the problems we are trying to solve.

Palantir Technologies2015-05-22

"Great mission, smart people, immense autonomy"

Current Employee - Embedded Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Contributing to an important mission is one of the best parts of this job. Palantir holds true to its mantra of solving the world's hardest problems for the world's most important organizations. As an individual employee, I feel like what I do actually has an impact on our partners' missions. My coworkers are generally intelligent, friendly, and passionate about anything they do. Folks in the McLean office have pretty diverse backgrounds, so there's never a dearth of interesting conversation at the breakfast table. I feel like I can count on my teammates to have my back in just about any situation. I'm consistently impressed with the level of responsibility and autonomy that Palantir gives its employees. Employees, even the freshly-minted college graduates, are frequently given the reins for large projects and allowed to execute their own vision with relative impunity. Finally, as others mention, the perks are great. Three meals/day, free chiropractor, free masseuse, free gym membership, free dry cleaning, and free laundry are just the start of it.

Cons

Coming from outside of the tech world, I have nothing but good things to say about my salary. Nevertheless, compensation is a pretty common complaint from Forward Deployed Engineers. There is a lot of unspoken strife between the technical implementation and sales teams, and despite lots of grumbling on both sides for the last year, management has done a poor job of addressing the issue head-on.

Palantir Technologies2014-11-05

"Great Product, Questionable "Culture""

Former Employee - Embedded Analyst in McLean, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

The product they have created is probably one of the best analysis tools on the market. It is remarkably easy to use, learn from, and totally worth a trial, just to see how it works. Personnel wise, their hiring process is rather strict, but fair. They have a heavy engineering culture, and encourage personal projects to be done to forward the company. The office I was employed in (Mclean, VA) has an interesting set up, and it is growing quickly. Little scooters are given to move from office to office, and you can get nearly anything to make your office your own sort of work space. Food wise, they have a caterer or cook set up, and there are free beverages, all of it available at all hours (Keep this in mind). The pay is above average, with a cool way of setting your own payscale. When an offer is made, they give three different offers, with three different stock options (5 year vesting schedule). I would guess they pay above about 25-50% of the average amount.

Cons

With all these benefits come a drawback. I estimated a average work day of around 10 hours. I would start at 8 AM, and leave at around 7 PM or so, an only in the first week. I expected these hours to go up as time went on. The food and pay are high to encourage you to remain in the office, and the standard work week is discouraged. Although they like to say they observe a Work Life balance, I generally could not see it happening, especially with such hours. Travel, you can expect to fly out to another location fairly regularly on short notice. Don't expect to make any real long term plans, and prepare to live out of a suitcase for more than a few weeks out of the year. Finally, the management wants you to "Drink the Kool Aid" rather deep. They try to indoctrinate you into their methods of thinking and working before you even start working there. It seems to be based on T-shirts and clothing, more than anything else. If you are not a estimated "fit" within their box of thinking, expect to not get an offer, or even be let go. I would be extremely wary of any "Openings" found within the Department of Defense section of this company. It is large and growing, but the leader of this section has been described over and over as "Intense". Be very careful of what you say and who you speak to in this company, or you may find yourself without a job with no real warning.

Palantir Technologies2012-06-25

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews