Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Forward Deployed Software Engineer

Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 26 Feb 2020

5.0
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
  1. "Good place to work for enterprise software development"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

* Good and smart colleagues * Working on important problems, that makes a difference in the world

Cons

* Problems to work on are not always super technically challenging. It usually requires more on the communication, planning, and expectation management side.

Palantir Technologies2020-02-26

"Amazing company with amazing opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

From day one you get exposed to challenging problems and you help important institutions solve them by using data. Great company mission. It's easy to move from team to team and learn about different industries. Amazing perks. Every person I have met is interesting and brilliant. I love going to work every day.

Cons

Not a great relationship with media (we don't really have any). There's a lot of false/wrong information out there about our work and not a lot being done to fix that. People tend to get confused with what we do or why we work with certain customers.

Palantir Technologies2020-02-13

"Best intern experience out there"

Current Intern - Forward Deployed Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies for less than a year

Pros

- Mission, the impact this company has and the impact you can create as intern is amazing. You immediately work on hard and important problems, no side projects to keep interns busy. You're treated as a full-time employee for the most part. - Culture, the people are among the friendliest and smartest out there. You can ask anyone for help. Further, from the constant internal dialogues, you can tell the company is ethically-minded and pursues success with integrity. - Support system, mentor/lead/team/recruiter are all actively helping you make the internship a great experience. If there's a problem, you can raise it and it will be addressed. - Personal growth, you're given a voice in what you want to do and what skills you want to improve. - Travel, we had the opportunity to travel across and out of the country as interns. - Perks, the free housing, 3 meals a day, the haircuts, the massages, etc. make life quite comfortable. - Intern cohorting, interns in an office got to know each other pretty well and we've become friends throughout the internship. This is just my experience, but my experience isn't uncommon from what I can tell. - Compensation, one of the highest out there.

Cons

- Finding your own work-life balance, because of the flexible hours, it can be difficult to find a balance that works for you when you see coworkers arriving/leaving at vastly different hours. With that said, I didn't feel any pressure to work late or get in early. It's just a matter of doing what's best for you and communicating that.

Palantir Technologies2018-08-16

"Be ready to be on your own"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary is great, benefits are amazing and they pretty much pay for everything

Cons

counterpart to having everything paid for you is that Palantir acts as if they own you and expect you to be working 24/7. Also, very little direction is given and you're expected to figure things out by yourself from the get go. And god forbid you ask for help as you will be seen as weak and inefficient. It's a soul crushing place that does not see workers as humans but merely as code monkeys.

Palantir Technologies2018-04-06

"Software Engineers - pay attention"

Former Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Some (but not all) of the work the company does is incredibly exciting and impactful to real-world problems. Your co-workers will be smart, hard-working, and motivated. There's a very small number of companies in the DC area that offer catered food 3 times a day and have a speakeasy. The perks are real, and while they shouldn't be a deciding factor, they're definitely nice.

Cons

I was hired as a "Forward Deployed SOFTWARE Engineer". During the interview process, I asked what the difference was between this and a normal software engineering position, and was told "there's basically no difference". That response was untrue. I was further misled at least twice during the interview process, and one of my interviews apologized for lying to me during interviews after we both had left the company. Any type of forward deployed position at Palantir bears very little resemblance to a normal "software engineering" position. Some people like the differences and others don't. Forward deployed engineering involves mostly deploying other people's code of varying quality and trying to shoehorn it into a place to solve a problem, then struggling desperately to keep it running. Also, trying to keep other people's earlier shoehorned solutions running. As of my departure in summer 2016, the DC office still has no real SE positions, though it does list them as openings. Be very cautious applying for one of these positions. I recommend asking every single person you talk to the following questions: * If hired, what PRODUCT will I be working on? (they will probably try not to answer - you can interpret that response however you like) * How many products are developed in this office, and where are they used? How big are the development teams? * How many product managers are in the office? * What does the development/release cycle look like for the product I will be working on? * Will I be working on a client site? OR What are the travel requirements for this position? Basically, try to ask very SE-specific questions about the job you're applying for. Be critical about analyzing the responses. But seriously, if you want to do software engineering, do yourself a favor and don't go to work at Palantir in DC. London, New York, and Palo Alto all have supported and stable engineering teams as of summer 2016. The company also suffers from systemic poor leadership, which creates a political, distrusting environment that said leadership refuses to believe exists. This isn't necessarily a dealbreaker though, just something to be aware of. I ranked culture & values low, because while Palantir has a great cultural manifesto, it's almost 100% not reflective of conditions inside the company. Palantir has a culture of disrespecting customers, which made me uncomfortable. Finally, there's definitely a subculture of people expecting employees to be in the office a lot. I think even people who are on site all the time suffer from a public perception that they're not "spending enough time in the office".

Palantir Technologies2016-09-19

"Great place to intern"

Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Palantir Technologies

Pros

* Learned a lot, had a more meaningful project than most interns at other companies that I know * Met a lot of really smart people who I will be sure to keep in touch with * Integrated quickly into my team * Learn about new verticals * Lots of cool benefits/events

Cons

* Worked hard, and was exhausted at times. This wasn't a summer vacation. * Some internal documentation could have been better, making it easier to get up to speed on projects

Palantir Technologies2015-10-02

"Purpose, autonomy & mastery"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Transformative projects with customers who matter. A grade employees, driven towards material impact. A very high degree of autonomy awarded to staff.

Cons

Resourcing - there are more opportunities than staff. Sometimes this means staff get stuck with one customer, sometimes it means that ownership can be lacking as staff move through a customer to fight a fire rather than truly fix an issue in a sustainable way. Workforce not especially diverse, despite everyone's efforts to address this. Being in a branch office, it is sometimes hard to divine strategic and tactical vision - conversely we are given wide latitude to chart our own destiny.

Palantir Technologies2015-08-26

"Work that I look forward to every day"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people are great, friendly and very intelligent - Interesting work that can have a real impact - Awesome travel opportunities. SF, LA, NYC, DC, London, Sydney, UAE, + more - Schedule is up to you. Come in and leave whenever as long as work is getting done

Cons

- There is a fair amount of technical grunt work to be done and if you're not careful you'll end up on boring projects. You can avoid this by proving yourself valuable in other areas - Hard to stand out amongst peers when everyone is so talented - No clear path to advancement internally. They're working on this - Work/life balance varies across teams. Some people are overworked (not me...)

Palantir Technologies2014-11-06

"50/50"

Former Intern - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Palantir Technologies for more than a year

Pros

They deal with some very interesting problems.

Cons

Management is going through growing pains and doesn't know how to allocate work properly. Sometimes seemed fairly haphazard in organizing. Pressure to work a ton.

Palantir Technologies2014-03-15

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews