Pendragon Employee Reviews about "dealership"

Updated 4 Aug 2019

2.5
Pendragon Chief Operating Officer Martin Casha
Martin Casha
Pros
  • "Challenging yet supportive atmosphere where hard work is recognised and the opportunity to progress your career is there with a willingness to succeed(in 5 reviews)

• "Despite what may be said TM’s are encouraged to be forward thinking and ambitious(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management, bullied by cliquey groups, no progression opportunities, long hours and bad pay(in 18 reviews)

• "The training is absolutely useless and in no way prepares you for any of the systems or processes that are in use back at the dealership(in 10 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dealership"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Plenty of Opportunity"

4.0
    Current Employee - Dealer Principal in Stoke-on-Trent, England

I have been working at Pendragon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Forward thinking Good benefits available Represent some of the best brands available Well geared for a sustainable future Fantastic infrastructure

Cons

Communication from head office to dealerships is poor Structure not defined for levels of responsibility Induction process not fit for purpose currently

January 15, 2018Talent Team

Thanks for your great review - good to hear you enjoy working with us. We are currently reviewing our pay structures across all departments.

"Worst company Pendragon banbury (citroen)"

Business Development Manager in Banbury, England

I worked at Pendragon for less than a year

Pros

None worst dealership worst management

Cons

Staff are told by management that you are not entitled to days off, if you love to work 12-14 hour days 7 day a week with no break till 6pm then this is definitely the job for you. Manager of banbury works a maximum 36 hour week and has his weekends off. Nice... go sick after doing a 100 hr week and you not only loose your days off the following week you will get no sick pay. Oh and if you think that when you finish you can go home oh No, this dealership boss thinks it's in the need of the business for you to then deliver the cars you sold across the country. Argue about the treatment with the dealership boss (Garry) and you won't stay for long because he will fail you on your probation!!! If I could have given this dealership 0 stars I would but it won't let me.

October 23, 2019Talent Team

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us; we are committed to providing our team members with a good work-life balance so will take your comments on board.

"Shocking lack of care for staff and customers alike"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Pendragon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Knowing that you will eventually go home, but not at the time you should. Working with good people in the same boat as you.

Cons

Everything is an uphill struggle, from getting the resources and tools to do the job, to getting a car to go home in. Woefully short staffed and everything is done on a shoestring, and all in an alleged prestige brand. Shockingly bad customer service leads to daily complaints, meaning you will spend a lot of your time firefighting. The commission structure is laughable and strangely enough wasn’t brought up in the interview. Horrific staff turnover, which I should have realised when I went to the “induction training” which is run weekly at their facility in Mansfield and has in excess of 20 candidates every week. The training is absolutely useless and in no way prepares you for any of the systems or processes that are in use back at the dealership. Considering that they have their own in house systems which they apparently sell to competitors, training for it was non existent and the program is fatally flawed, acting more as a sales prevention than anything else. Service department that has 20 loan cars and lends out 27 means that you can kiss goodbye to the one perk you get along with any fuel you were foolish enough to have put in it, to then be sent home in a hire car if your lucky. I have never worked anywhere as unprofessional as this, the only saving grace is that all the other staff are in the same predicament and just waiting to escape. It was without a doubt the most depressing time of my life. Nothing I was promised was provided

April 5, 2018Talent Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with us - regarding your induction training, this is important feedback to us as we are constantly improving our programme structure and have recently made some major changes to it to improve our new starters' experience.

"I'd rather sweet streets barefoot"

Former Employee - Graduate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Pendragon full-time for less than a year

Pros

You had a company car, Fiesta/Corsa etc. But no car allowance.

Cons

Let’s start with the training: You're sent down to a grubby hotel in Derby to do a couple of days’ induction. The training was not very engaging and was often interrupted by the testosterone filled idiots in the room (I’m not just saying this, one of them stole a dog whilst I was there. A DOG?!). The training consisted of nothing more than common sense for the most part. What would be better is to perhaps place people first and give them some experience so that the training can be interactive and answer real life questions – but hey, that’d be too simple wouldn’t it? Moving on to the dealership experience: So, picture this. A fresh face in the business is left on their first week (with minimal ‘training’) the keys to a dealership and is required to ensure that all the alarms are set, all the cars are put away, cameras are on and everything is locked up. What a joke. The hours are long. I’m not work shy, but this takes the biscuit. I worked an average of 70 hours per week (with no overtime, naturally). Are you allowed a lunch break? I’m still foggy on this one. When I got one, I had a phone call after 20 minutes asking where I was and what I thought I was doing. Charming. The target was set at 14 cars per month with a certain amount extra for the ‘add-ons’ that were included in a sale. Now this would have been okay, but the dealership had such a negative image by customers that a maximum of 4 people walked in per day. With these hours and a lack of people to sell to, my hourly rate worked out at less than £5 per hour. Even if there had have been people to sell to, as a graduate your commission is capped, yet another joke. Oh, I might add that on my first day I was told to arrive at 9am – no one knew that I was supposed to be there. The person I spoke with before starting (understandably) left the business and not passed on any information about my arrival. Most would do absolutely anything for a sale – I witnessed an employee include products onto a quote and then sell to the customer, adding the products on afterwards – double charging the customer. As another review also states, and I can’t agree more: The automotive industry also confirms to every cliché in the book: Were the cars bounced off of their limiter every time they were moved – yes sir! Harassment – why of course! Sleazy deceitful salespeople – oh, it wouldn’t be a dealership without! Bad pay, long hours, unmotivated staff – check! Showroom in a state of disrepair – of course! Salespeople blatantly rude to unsatisfied customers – you’ve got it. PLEASE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO WORK. You will not gain any valuable experience working here.

January 15, 2018Talent Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. We are currently making changes to our Graduates programmes so will take your comments on board.

"Poorly run company"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Pendragon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nine I can think of . Oh hang in company car BMW

Cons

Poorly run dealership, poor motivation, high turnover of staff ( we saw one newbie start on a Monday and left by the Friday!) no induction process at the dealership, tons of processes from head office made to work like robots.

January 15, 2018Talent Team

Thanks for leaving a review. Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your time with us. If you feel you require any more training or support please discuss with your leader who will be able to help.

"18 months in a disgusting abyss"

Former Employee - Graduate Management Trainee in Manchester, England

I worked at Pendragon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money is okay. Company Car

Cons

Context to my comments: I am nearly 30, and have worked for various companies (including sales and retail) before Pendragon. My complaints do not come from lack of experience. I have no ongoing dispute with Pendragon. I wasn’t forced out or have any personal vendetta. It really is this bad. Everyone hates car dealerships, and it's easier to understand why after working in an Evans Halshaw. Deeply toxic place to work. If you’ve ever wondered what it feels like to experience the crushing jaws of capitalism with visceral, soulless familiarity – this is the job and this is the company. Working 11 hour days for 6 days and receiving calls to come back into work on the 7th day. Employment law apparently stops at the entrance to any branch of Evans Halshaw. The description of this job as advertised compared to what it actually is, is laughable. Attempts to bring this to the attention of the head office HR/Personnel team is met with feigned concern, but you will soon realise they are indifferent to it. Much in the same way they do not care about a customer once they have signed a contract and paid their money, once they have you in their clutches they care much much less about you. Daily use of racist epithets being used about customers behind their back. Open sexism in the workplace is effectively encouraged for ‘morale’ (be prepared to have to assess every woman that walks past on her appearance). Levels of homophobia are almost hysterical. The kind of homophobia that makes you think it stems from self-hatred and being closeted. Again, HR/Personnel are unconcerned. It’s very obvious why most of your colleagues will be divorced. You have no work-life balance and will be a deeply unhappy person. Asserting your right to a life outside of work is seen as delusional and bratty. Unions and workers rights never happened in Pendragon. Seeing vulnerable customers being exploited, and you yourself being pressured to contribute (through fraud, basically) to someone’s descent into poverty. Borderline criminal activity at work, sometimes crossing into actual criminal activity. I have seen plenty of colleagues drink and/or drug-drive during the work day. The longer you work there the easier it is to understand why people come to work drunk. Being bullied by your manager, and your colleagues. And not in a subtle workplace way. Imagine how bullying works among 8 year olds in a playground and it’s more accurate. Didn’t happen to me personally… but many people get paid late, or are underpaid, and disputing this is a huge headache, as you would imagine. You will be treat like a naughty child at a Victorian workhouse. Small rookie mistakes are met with contempt and shouting. Stay 3 hours past your shift to help your colleagues and you’re met with apathy from management. Everyone around you will be stressed out of their mind, and will give the impression that any semblance of humanity, or ‘soul’, was ripped from them as part of some car finance agreement with the Devil and Death Himself years previously, and all is left now is a money grubbing husk in the shape of a person. That person is every colleague and every manager. After your 18 month ordeal, you will look on Glassdoor and notice that Pendragon has the cheek to post blatantly fake reviews of themselves. I met approx. 12 other graduates in the scheme and they ALL left the job within 6 months because this scheme is a nightmare. I was an idiot for staying there longer and it probably took a few years off my life.

March 7, 2017Marketing Leader

Thanks for your feedback, sorry to hear you feel this way. We'd like to look into this in more detail with you - please email us at graduates@pendragon.uk.com.

"you will have to graft"

I worked at Pendragon

Pros

company car potential to earn a lot

Cons

below minimum wage you will always have 'to appear' to busy even if he dealership is quiet bullying tactics by existing members of staff

March 7, 2017Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback. As with any role, hard work will result in further opportunities! We encourage Leaders to nurture talent and guide progression.

"My Pendragon Graduate Scheme Nightmare"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Leeds, England

I worked at Pendragon full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to become a car sales executive then this graduate scheme may be for you

Cons

I started off on Pendragon by attending their training day down in Nottingham, this consisted of 2 and a half days of so call "training" on working in a dealership. Most of the training consisted of learning largely irreverent things which would be little to no help once introduced to the working environment. Once I was placed at my dealership it became clear to me that I was required to work well over my contracted 40 hours a week (averaging around 60) and was made to feel guilty about taking scheduled one day a week off. You are not paid for any of these extra hours and you also don't get bank holidays off despite this being in your contract. The actual role itself is mainly based outside, you are moving cars about and waiting for customers. You soon learn that if a customer is 'just having a look' you are in trouble, because most likely management will be watching to check they are coming inside to buy a car that day, despite whatever reason you give for them not wanting to buy at that moment. Overall the role is humiliating and needs serious consideration from anyone who is thinking about applying. You are given no support, training and spend most of your time being belittled by management who think you should know absolutely everything about selling a car after a week of working there. The graduate scheme has clearly been used as a cost cutting exercise by Pendragon in which they are able to recruit business executives on a base salary without paying them any commission what so ever.

March 7, 2017Talent Team

Thanks for your feedback, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We have taken your comments on board and the Graduate Scheme is changing - more support touchpoints, training and a clearer timescale for progression to a leadership position.

"Graduate Management Programme"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at Pendragon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Marginally better than standing in the dole queue. Only just. The company car (a Fiesta for anyone wondering) is a bonus and there are one or two other minor perks but nothing to go crazy for.

Cons

Absolutely zero structure and minimal organisation. The so called "Graduate Scheme" is basically a cost cutting exercise whereby potential Business Managers can be created only to be paid a fraction of existing Business Managers/Dealer Principals who are nearing retirement. Initial training consists of a few days down in Nottingham where you'll be told how to use email, telephones and approach customers. You'll also be told a lot about body language and undertake an MBTI assessment. Everything is common sense and not only patronising but mostly irrelevant. You will be told literally nothing about working in a dealership ironically because the people administering the training have never worked in one. Overall the Graduate Programme is a joke at best. Anybody looking to get into the industry is better off doing so as a Sales Executive where the commission is miles better even if the basic isn't as good. Your contract will say 40 hours per week but you'll be expected to work more in the region of 60 with no overtime paid. A standard sales exec is expected to do about 10 cars a month and on top of their basic will get £150 per car sold along with extra for add ons such as paint/alloy care etc. On average they'll come out with about £2500 after tax whereas as a Grad you'll be expected to hit the same targets, work the same hours and get paid about £1400 after tax. The automative industry also confirms to every cliche in the book. I had colleagues who complained about sexual harassment and were laughed at. That pretty much sums up Pendragon for me.

March 23, 2017Talent Team

Sorry to hear you felt this way during your time with us. We have taken your comments on board and the Graduate Programme is changing, with more support and training along the way to help you progress to a leadership position.

10. "Better than most car dealerships in LA"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Pendragon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Much better mandatory work schedule, 33-36 hour work week, most southern California dealerships are a 55+ hour work weeks. Only one of three managers was a psychopath, of the other two, one was great, the other was good, just burned out and waiting for his well deserved promotion for his own store.

Cons

As at all dealerships, the pay plan is shrinking. Example. One sales guy here sold 8 cars in June 2016 and made $17000 commission. In June of 2017 he sold 19 cars, and made $8000.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 10 English Reviews