Peninsula Employee Reviews about "employment law"

Updated Oct 20, 2021

Found 70 of over 1,075 reviews

3.9
Peninsula Managing Director Peter Done
Peter Done
Pros
  • "I've worked for Peninsula for 7 years(in 241 reviews)

• "Training and Development is next to none - You are supported in getting a level 9 CIPD award in Employment Law when you join(in 57 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No downsides to working at Peninsula(in 103 reviews)

• "Can sometimes be too fast paced(in 56 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

281.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Peninsula~746949
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "employment law"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Best Decision!!

Aug 18, 2021 - Human Resources Policy and Documentation Business Partner in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I made the decision to completely change my career just over three years ago and have not looked back. I went from working in retail to joining Peninsula as an Employment Law consultant. I have have been amazed by the amount of progression that is a available within the varied aspects of the business Hard work is reward at Peninsula. You have a fantastic work life balance. The company provides numerous perks for their employees. It feels like a family I can honestly say that it is a pleasure to come to work.

Cons

Having worked at Peninsula for over three years now I can honestly thinks of no cons that spring to mind.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Thank you for the taking the time to leave us a great review, we really do appreciate feedback from all of our colleagues!

2. 1.0

Company Ethos = Profit before People

Oct 20, 2021 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just one which is working with great team mates.

Cons

Management only knows one approach which is command and control. This means zero trust and autonomy. The place is run like a third world, "sweat shop" in which people are yelled at and belittled throughout the day. What’s worse is that sales staff are forced to stand on their feet all day long. Yes, you did read that last sentence correctly! As an employment law and Health & Safety company, I'd be interested in knowing if this inhumane rule is in their policy handbook? During my time, I have seen several colleagues off work from stress, anxiety and depression caused by the horrendous work conditions. They had the audacity to publish an article on LinkedIn during world mental health day which spoke about encouraging staff to take short breaks and get some fresh air during their lunch hour. This is hypocrisy personified as they only give staff a 30-minute lunch break and do not like them to leave the building for scheduled breaks. All in all, it’s like some terrible boiler room operation from 1985. Think wolf of Wall Street and times that by a hundred. No respect for its staff and senior management pride themselves in telling new starters that more than half of them won’t make it! What kind of company takes pride in its high churn rate and low staff retention? A company who simply doesn’t care is the answer. Although I am earning reasonable money, I have taken the decision to seek alternative employment and am looking for an organisation which has a culture of valuing their staff. I write this as I don’t want anyone to go through the immense stress I go through on a day to day basis....it's just not worth it.

12 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Good morning, I'd like to start by saying that though we hope you choose to stay with the business, we respect your decision around a career move and we'd like to thank you for over 2 years of service and hard work. Though we're disappointed to read your opinion of the company, we foster a culture of care for our colleagues; we’re glad to hear that you were satisfied with your compensation, and we appreciate your support of the company over the years. Our management teams work closely with all our colleagues to help towards achieving KPIs and ensuring everyone has the resources they need to fulfil their role effectively. This is as well as running incentives across different departments and teams within the company. Regarding your comments about treatment of colleagues, this is simply not an experience that we recognise. All colleagues can, and are encouraged to discuss their work environment with their line manager. In addition to this, we regularly hold business-wide forums for colleagues to ask management open, anonymous questions and voice any concerns they might have. Linking into your comments around mental health and wellbeing – this is something we acknowledge is incredibly important in supporting our colleagues. The article posted to LinkedIn was an additional measure to support our colleagues and the wider community via the LinkedIn network. All colleagues are entitled to break and dinner time appropriate to the length of their shift. During the height of the pandemic, colleagues were encouraged to minimise excessive foot traffic through the building– but this was health and safety guidance to protect our colleagues. Colleagues can absolutely go offsite for breaks and lunch, and as cited in the article, even encouraged to as it can be beneficial for mental health and wellbeing. Regarding your statement around retention, we have a history of celebrating long-serving colleagues across the business. In addition, we run incentives and benefits for staff across different teams and departments for several years of service to the company. We celebrate only the success of our colleagues. If you could please get in touch with us, we can further discuss any of the comments you’ve made in your review further so we can dispel any misconceptions you may have about the company and our practices. Again – though we’re disappointed to read your opinion – we hope you’re successful in whatever you decide to do next, and we wish you all the best.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful! But learnt loads

Aug 19, 2021 - Senior Employment Litigation Solicitor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting and different every day. Never a dull moment. Learnt more about employment law than in any other job.

Cons

Far too much work with too little support. I found it too stressful. Too many different portals to keep an eye on to work out what I had on. Pay too little for that type of work and stress.

3 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

We're sorry to hear you feel this way about the company - it's not an experience we recognise or stand for. We have a culture of support for all of our colleagues, where every colleague can speak up and be listened to, we would encourage you to speak to a line manager regarding workload. However, we wish you all the best in any future endeavours and we're glad you received excellent experience in your time with us.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Professional and caring facade with a different internal reality.

Aug 7, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are a sound employer, do your job well and you get paid. They excel at paying expenses on time. Never felt under threat of redundancy even during the pandemic. Made up the 80% furlough to 100%. Very good indeed. Secure employer.

Cons

Extremely poor at pay increases. The company has become too big and very impersonal. If your face fits then good but if you are not flavour of the month, they will dismiss you into the weeds without a second glance and the ignore you. Until you mess up. H&S director is impersonal to the point of being extremely rude, does not care about his team whatsoever, never responds to emails from the team but passes them on to the Managers to deal with. The attrition rate since he has been in post has increased significantly. Plays a clever game to keep senior directors happy but is largely disliked by the whole H&S team. He is: a number cruncher; automaton; has little H&S experience; no people skills; and is a self important person. This person has ruined the Peninsula experience for many H&S consultants. Most are afraid to speak up, so just leave. I am not afraid to speak up but but did not see the point, so left as well. For an employment law company they tread a very thin line between fairness and equal opportunity and discrimination. Notwithstanding the comments regarding furlough, some staff are treated unfairly and the company has an inflexible approach to working and age.

12 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Good Afternoon, We’re sorry to hear you feel this way about the company – it’s certainly not a colleague experience that we recognise or stand for. We’re firm believers that if any of our colleagues feel they need to talk about anything, they always have somebody they can speak to, so we’re disappointed and surprised to read this. We value all our colleagues. In fact, 99% of our consultants have received a pay rise. We invest heavily in training and development and the H&S Consultancy pay and benefits are extremely competitive and regularly reviewed to ensure we attract and award great talent. We’ll soon be implementing a Consultant Career Pathway - offering opportunities for Consultants to progress within the department and increases earnings further, with the assistance of a commission structure. We’ve seen attrition reduce substantially in the last 12 months and hold weekly team video meetings to check in with all our colleagues to ensure everybody has the support they need to work effectively. It’s this culture of support that has seen over £1 million invested so far into IT advancements, including the use of tablet technology, app based audit tools and BrightSafe (Face to face meetings have not been possible due to COVID however these are planned to return from September). Again, I’m saddened to read your comments in spite of the phenomenal support we’re offering to our colleagues and we do hope you consider talking to us in person. Nonetheless, we wish you all the best in the future and hope you carry forward any skills you acquired in your time with us. Warm regards, Sam.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Assistant management accountant

Aug 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

None really.. as long as you put your head down and ask for nothing things are fine..

Cons

Overworked, high staff turn over, management incompetency, well underpaid (there is no annual pay review, regardless of inflation, the exams you pass, all the other extra work you volunteer to take on), No transparency in grading and salary etc.. on the top of them all, the biggest HR provider in the country DOES NOT have HR department for their own staff, so if there is any grievance you have to go to your manager to complain about ur manager!!!! They are employment law expert and know exactly how to get away with whatever they do.. AVOID..

6 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

We're disappointed to hear this feedback, but thank you for sharing it. Regarding the financial aspects of your review - our compensation is competitive, and we regularly look at market rates and industry data to ensure it's benchmarked appropriately. Again, we're disappointed to read about your experience with us, it's not one that we recognise. We will continue working hard to make Peninsula a great place to work. We wish you all the best in the future.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid like covid

Jul 21, 2021 - Business Sales in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will learn alot about health and safety and employment law.

Cons

Stand the whole day 30min lunch and smoking break and you have to make it down 6 flights of stairs to smoke and then eat lunch. Management are terrible and will openly shout at you or belittle you infront of the whole floor. The sales director is even worse and likes to make you think you are a worthless piece of $@@t. They lie to you about having to pay for parking which could be as much as £17 a day.

8 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

We're sorry to hear about your experience, it's not one we recognise and we're disappointed to hear that you feel this way - it's certainly not the culture we have or stand for. We want all of our colleagues to have a positive experience with us, so we hope you'll consider talking with us in person about what we can going forwards to help. Kind regards, Sam.

7. 1.0

Ridiculous Hours

Jul 17, 2021 - Human Resources Face2Face Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can work from home, although I don’t feel this is a ‘pro’ as you will be working ridiculous hours and have no family time

Cons

We were told that we HAD to submit a glowing review on here, which in itself is inappropriate. This can be evidenced from the flurry of 5 star reviews that suddenly appeared on the 28th of May from Face2Face consultants. I regularly work 60-70 hours a week, due to the unsustainable workload we are given. Staff turnover in Face2Face is ridiculously high and consultants are dropping like flies. Belittled in emails from the Director, who will accuse before finding out the facts of a matter. Rarely praised, unless you are bringing in lots of extra business for the company which, whilst you are told in your interview is optional, you are expected to be a sales person first and foremost. Therefore, no matter how good at your actual job you are, you will not receive any recognition unless you are constantly selling. No chance of being promoted, unless you’re in a team where a senior leaves. Very annoying to see colleagues with shorter service be promoted above you purely due to their geographical location. Always contacted whilst on leave, never a time where this has not happened. Do not follow the most basic of HR procedures, which for an employment law company is absolutely shocking. Some staff are scared to leave due to the backlash and treatment that others, who have wisely chosen to do so, have received and, if they do, will not be truthful in exit interviews for this reason.

13 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

We're sorry to hear you feel negatively about the company, we care about all our colleagues and don't want anyone to feel like this. We have several measures in place to ensure no one is working 60-70 hour weeks, including timesheets. Regarding development and progression opportunities – there are Leads and Team Leader positions within each geographical team. When positions become available everyone is encouraged to apply if they’d like to progress further with us. The culture we stand for is one where if any of our colleagues have concerns or questions, that they always have someone there to talk about it with. So, I do hope you'll consider talking about this in person about how can help and move forwards with a more positive experience. Kind regards, Sam

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing exposure to all aspects of HR and clear opportunities for progreasion

Jun 7, 2021 - Employment Law Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

You gain an incredible knowledge of HR management and Employment Law. Abundance of training and learning material Clear paths of progression and career development is a big part of the role. I have recently applied and was successful for a corporate business partner role. Trendy city center office is also a plus!

Cons

The work load can be quite full on and is very fast paced, as long as you are prepared for this it is fine. If you get bored easily then this is a good job for you.

1 person found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, we're really happy to hear you are enjoying your role!

9. 5.0

Best job in the World!

May 28, 2021 - HR- Consultant in Shrewsbury, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is by far the best job I have ever had! I get a real buzz coming to work each day! The work is interesting, stimulating and enthralling. It can be challenging at times, but extremely fulfilling! The management team are incredibly supportive, accessible and personable - they make you feel valued as a member of the team. Yes, its a commercial company, yes, there are KPIs and targets, but you are given all the help you need to achieve, and success is appreciated and celebrated. The benefits of working Peninsula are second to none - the holiday / pension / perks etc. package is good, they genuinely care about employees, and as they are the market leaders in the sector, it feels like a real privilege to be part of the Company. I've got 30 years in HR/employment law, worked in many different sectors for many different employers, but this is my favourite by far!

Cons

None - I really didn't know work could be so much fun until I started this job! Love it!

1 person found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments, it's lovely to read how much you're enjoying your role and working with the company. We wish you all the continued success in the future! Kind regards, Sarah.

10. 5.0

Great team and opportunities

May 28, 2021 - Peninsula Face2Face Consultant in Dunstable, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

As the department is growing there is real scope for progression, and from my experience everyone is friendly and approachable. Definitely the best decision I made as I have met such talented people, and really developed my employment law knowledge. Here is to another 4 years!

Cons

Things can change at short notice due to client requirements, however, there is real flexibility outside of the schedule meetings. We do at times deal with very complex cases, however, I have found that there is always someone at the end of the phone who is happy to help with guidance and their expertise. So really, not ‘cons’ but the role does provide challenge, development and a real team spirit.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Hi, thanks so much for your comments and feedback. It's fantastic to read how you're excelling and growing in your role and that you have such a great rapport with your team mates. Good luck in your role! Kind regards, Sarah

Viewing 1 - 10 of 70 Reviews