Peninsula Employee Reviews about "peninsula"

Updated Nov 24, 2021

Found 292 of over 1,209 reviews

4.1
Peninsula Managing Director Peter Done
Peter Done
Pros
  • "I've worked for Peninsula for 7 years(in 241 reviews)

• "Training and Development is next to none - You are supported in getting a level 9 CIPD award in Employment Law when you join(in 57 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No downsides to working at Peninsula(in 103 reviews)

• "Can sometimes be too fast paced(in 56 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

130 Comments

Consulting

340.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Peninsula~746949
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "peninsula"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Nov 24, 2021 - Senior Employment Law Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working here, I think it's a fantastic place to work. The training program is second to none, it's absolutely brilliant. Everyone is really supportive, a company that truly invests in its employees not just with initial training but ongoing training and support. It's great to be a part of such an amazing team, everyone is genuinely lovely and approachable. Everything Peninsula does just makes sense, it's really well thought out and very productive. There are so many opportunities within the business too, a company you can really work you're way up in. Big thumbs up from me!

Cons

Really can't fault the company.

Client Experience Co-ordinator

Thank you for taking time to leave this review, it is fantastic to read that you are enjoying your role and have progressed within the business. It is great to have such positivity in the company it demonstrates that our people really feel part of the supportive culture we work so hard to uphold.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Awful and stressful place to work

Oct 21, 2021 - Employment Law Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues and the holidays are the best part of the job.

Cons

I have worked at Peninsula for a considerable amount of years. However as time went on it became apparent the company is absolutely about profit and doesn’t care for it’s employees wellbeing. A colleague had gone off sick due to mental health and had been given a letter of concern. You have to either come in early or stay late to finish tasks so you can keep up with your workload. It is very hard to progress your career unless your managements favourite. The workplace has reduced many colleagues to tears and many staff to leave. Hence a poor retention rate. We were even asked to write reviews so management can cover up how awful the working place is here.

7 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Good morning, Though we're pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your holidays and colleagues, we're disappointed to read some of the other comments in your review. Regarding your comments around working conditions for colleagues and our culture, this is simply not an experience that we recognise or stand for. We have a culture of support and care for our colleagues - mental health and wellbeing is something we acknowledge is incredibly important in supporting our colleagues. Additionally, we never encourage colleagues to take their home work with them. All colleagues can, and are encouraged to discuss their work environment with their line manager. In addition to this, we regularly hold business-wide forums for colleagues to ask management open, anonymous questions and voice any concerns they might have. Finally, we do encourage staff to post reviews giving their honest opinion - this is so we're constantly checking the pulse of colleague opinion and satisfaction with the business - a proactive step to ensure job satisfaction and mental health support on a wider scale. If you could please get in touch with us, we can further discuss any of the comments you’ve made in your review further so we can dispel any misconceptions you may have about the company and our practices. Again – though we’re disappointed to read your opinion – we wish you all the best in the future.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good experience

Sep 3, 2021 - Marketing in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

My time at Peninsula was a mixed bag. The team and the work itself was varied and always interesting. Being a newbie in my field, I developed my experience and took on projects outside of my comfort zone to gain extra knowledge. Operating in different countries also allowed me to develop skills that could be applied to other jobs.

Cons

When you first arrive a Peninsula you'd probably be impressed by the huge building, Manchester city centre location, free breakfast, EAP services and whatever else they pride themselves on offering their staff. After a few months in you'll start to notice little things that'll make you start to doubt your first impression of Peninsula. For example if you're too ill to work you might find yourself using an holiday day instead of calling in sick because you don't want to have a 'return to work interview' (more of a grilling) from your manager. In terms of pay, while my initial salary was acceptable for the role, I was at the company for almost two years and did not have a conversation about a pay review for the period I was there. I'm not going to bother highlighting everything I experienced here but just to emphasise my level of displeasure at the company, I left my job at the height of the pandemic and without the prospect of another job. It's funny that a company that offers HR advice and best practice to other company lacks so much self-awareness.

10 people found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

We're sorry to hear about your opinion of the company. Whilst we're pleased to hear you enjoyed some of our colleague benefits, however your comments about our support of our colleague is not one that we recognise. We're sorry to hear you didn't want to have a conversation with your manager about sick-leave or pay - we foster a culture of support, care and respect for all of our colleagues and understand that sometimes colleagues can become unwell and unable to carry out their role. We always act compassionately and compliantly, and in the interest of both our colleagues and our clients. Regarding pay, our compensation is competitive, and we regularly look at market rates and industry data to ensure it's benchmarked appropriately. Colleagues are always welcome to have a discussion about this with their line manager, so again, we're disappointed you didn't speak to anyone about this. Nonetheless, we wish you all the best in the future and carry forward any skills you have acquired in your time with us.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Endless Opportunities

Sep 8, 2021 - Senior Manager in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Peninsula early on in my HR Career in an entry level role. I have always been ambitions but didn't believe I would ever be in the role I am in now. That has been possible because Peninsula recognise and reward its employees. The whole Senior Management Team joined the company in entry level roles which creates a culture of understanding and support because they have been in the employees shoes and know how to support them. I have never known a more supportive Management Team who want to make coming to work as fun as possible and we are always thinking of ways to reward and bring fun into the workplace. I am very proud to work for Peninsula and love coming to work. If you want to work hard and be rewarded, this is the company for you.

Cons

I do not have any cons

Peninsula Response

Thanks so much for your great rating and review! We're glad to hear that Peninsula has helped to support and nurture your career with us and we're pleased to know that you've always felt supported. This is the culture we always stand for and foster.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Decision!!

Aug 18, 2021 - Human Resources Policy and Documentation Business Partner in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I made the decision to completely change my career just over three years ago and have not looked back. I went from working in retail to joining Peninsula as an Employment Law consultant. I have have been amazed by the amount of progression that is a available within the varied aspects of the business Hard work is reward at Peninsula. You have a fantastic work life balance. The company provides numerous perks for their employees. It feels like a family I can honestly say that it is a pleasure to come to work.

Cons

Having worked at Peninsula for over three years now I can honestly thinks of no cons that spring to mind.

Peninsula Response

Thank you for the taking the time to leave us a great review, we really do appreciate feedback from all of our colleagues!

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic - Avoid at all costs

Sep 6, 2021 - Employment Law Consultant in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having consultant on your CV might look good to future employers (if they don't know that it's not an accurate title within Peninsula)

Cons

Most toxic place I've ever come across. Management are bullies and you won't progress in the company unless you're a bully too. Hit sales targets for things you know are worthless to clients or you'll get dismissed for poor performance. Statutory minimum rights for everything. Training agreement in place on all contracts for a qualification worth a quarter of its value. Requirement to account for every second of your day - away from your desk for more than 4 minutes? "Are you having bathroom issues?" Need some time between calls to take a breath or make notes from your last call? Don't be silly - they'll force your phone straight back online. This is a horrific company and it was the best decision of my life to leave.

Peninsula Response

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way about your time at Peninsula. Whilst we appreciate feedback on our employee experience, in all its forms, this review is filled with serious allegations which are simply not true and are not an accurate reflection of the way we operate. I would welcome the opportunity to better understand your commentary and feedback; please contact me directly so we can discuss the claims made in this review.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Professional and caring facade with a different internal reality.

Aug 7, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are a sound employer, do your job well and you get paid. They excel at paying expenses on time. Never felt under threat of redundancy even during the pandemic. Made up the 80% furlough to 100%. Very good indeed. Secure employer.

Cons

Extremely poor at pay increases. The company has become too big and very impersonal. If your face fits then good but if you are not flavour of the month, they will dismiss you into the weeds without a second glance and the ignore you. Until you mess up. H&S director is impersonal to the point of being extremely rude, does not care about his team whatsoever, never responds to emails from the team but passes them on to the Managers to deal with. The attrition rate since he has been in post has increased significantly. Plays a clever game to keep senior directors happy but is largely disliked by the whole H&S team. He is: a number cruncher; automaton; has little H&S experience; no people skills; and is a self important person. This person has ruined the Peninsula experience for many H&S consultants. Most are afraid to speak up, so just leave. I am not afraid to speak up but but did not see the point, so left as well. For an employment law company they tread a very thin line between fairness and equal opportunity and discrimination. Notwithstanding the comments regarding furlough, some staff are treated unfairly and the company has an inflexible approach to working and age.

Peninsula Response

Good Afternoon, We’re sorry to hear you feel this way about the company – it’s certainly not a colleague experience that we recognise or stand for. We’re firm believers that if any of our colleagues feel they need to talk about anything, they always have somebody they can speak to, so we’re disappointed and surprised to read this. We value all our colleagues. In fact, 99% of our consultants have received a pay rise. We invest heavily in training and development and the H&S Consultancy pay and benefits are extremely competitive and regularly reviewed to ensure we attract and award great talent. We’ll soon be implementing a Consultant Career Pathway - offering opportunities for Consultants to progress within the department and increases earnings further, with the assistance of a commission structure. We’ve seen attrition reduce substantially in the last 12 months and hold weekly team video meetings to check in with all our colleagues to ensure everybody has the support they need to work effectively. It’s this culture of support that has seen over £1 million invested so far into IT advancements, including the use of tablet technology, app based audit tools and BrightSafe (Face to face meetings have not been possible due to COVID however these are planned to return from September). Again, I’m saddened to read your comments in spite of the phenomenal support we’re offering to our colleagues and we do hope you consider talking to us in person. Nonetheless, we wish you all the best in the future and hope you carry forward any skills you acquired in your time with us. Warm regards, Sam.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

A Great Company

Jul 19, 2021 - Senior Employment Law Adviser in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for Peninsula for 7 years. Seen a lot of changes as the business has grown and expanded. The pay is excellent, potential to earn very bonuses. Benefits good, I got BUPA now. If you chose, good career progression, CIPD qualifications to be had. Well looked after, well supported.

Cons

We work can be pressured and hectic.

1 person found this review helpful

Peninsula Response

Thanks for your review, it's great to hear you're having a positive experience with us! We're also glad to hear that you're well looked after and supported, this is the standard of colleague care that we always strive for at Peninsula! Kind regards, Sam

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Dated & morally corrupt

Aug 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team were the best team I could've asked for.

Cons

The underpaid people at the bottom of the pile and on the front line are keeping the business afloat, whilst the bone idle directors & heads of department take all of the credit. You will be stressed & work hard only for your manager to receive a bottle of wine and M&S voucher for the work you completed. Boasted about "record sales" in 2020 however was more than happy to claim furlough for a large amount of the workforce - despite Peninsula boasting that they have "thrived" during lockdown as SME's "need them more than ever" (quoted from their own internal emails). They also cut everyone's bonus this year, blaming the pandemic yet are happy to rub the internal promotion of directors in peoples faces like ANYONE cares. They hide behind the pandemic when it suits them.

Peninsula Response

Sorry to hear about your experience. Your views are certainly not shared by colleagues both past and present. The pandemic affected many businesses, Peninsula no different. Our staff are at the core of the service we provide and recognised and praised regularly. We did in fact still pay out bonuses both contractual and performance related and those who were placed on furlough received 100% of their salary. Our Profit share scheme was paused during 2020 due to the uncertainty during pandemic, but as we announced earlier this year, this is back in place for 2021. We’re proud of the service that we have been able to provide businesses over the last 18 months as they struggle with the continuously changing legislation. Our directors and heads of department take an active role to ensure everyone has the training and support they need to thrive in our growing business. We will continue to ensure we do everything we can to ensure Peninsula remains a great place to work. Sorry again you didn’t enjoy your time with the business, we wish you all the best in the future.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Company, Hard work but Enriching experience

Jun 16, 2021 - Employment Law Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training, Excellent management, Good salary, Great cross office working, Very well oiled machine, Great exposure to senior management, fantastic communication tools available across the organisation, great opportunities to increase salary through referral. Would absolutely recommend this Company to anyone wanting a career in HR. The training is amazing and the money is fantastic. Very accommodating management as well if any queries come up. Want to highlight Ceire Watson in the Belfast office as being absolutely fantastic in her management role. Extremely supportive and encouraging to me and a credit to the Peninsula team.

Cons

Very fast paced which at times can cause stress. Multiple and moving targets which feel hard to meet. A lot of demands placed on advisors. Culture of working towards the weekend 'nearly friday' attitude.

Executive

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at Peninsula Northern Ireland and that you felt supported by your team. We wish you success in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 292 Reviews