Penske Media Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 Jan 2020

3.9
Penske Media Chairman and CEO Jay Penske
Jay Penske
Pros
  • "Great work environment, President truly cares about his employees, flexibility when personal crisis arises(in 10 reviews)

• "PMC is filled with great people who really care about your experience working with them(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Vacation and other benefits are not as robust, but the company is actively making changes and they're now offering 401K matching(in 11 reviews)

• "Benefits are not as robust as other media companies (no 401k match the biggest disappointment)(in 8 reviews)

1. "Give this company a shot!"

Current Employee - PreMedia Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Open dialogue. Creative environment. Responsive management.

Cons

There is some weekend work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Penske Media2020-01-07
  2. "Engaging Publishing Company"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

A thriving publishing company constantly looking to grow. Very happy to be working in an environment that allows growth and where leadership cares, listens and encourages ideas. I've never worked in a corporate setting where the CEO meets with each new hire and than remembers your name!

Cons

Not enough office space in NYC.

Penske Media2020-01-07
  3. "PMC - Where Talent is Nurtured and Thrives!"

Current Employee - Vice Chairman in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vision and leadership at every level creates success across the brands and sectors.

Cons

There isn't enough time to capitalize on all the opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on finding the best talents to support the brands.

Penske Media2020-01-02
  4. "Best Company in Digital Media"

Current Employee - Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked at 4 other Digital Media businesses, and none have the quality of leadership (especially a CEO who leads from the front lines meeting every employee in the company), also the focus on clear results, but not at the expense of doing what's right for humanity and the greater good.

Cons

More collaboration amongst the amazing brands in the company. So many opportunities for PMC to grow further by collaborating more.

Advice to Management

Never let Jay Penske and the senior leadership team RETIRE!!

5. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Penske Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced work environment. Enthusiastic employees.

Cons

Intense work culture, little people culture. The variety of brands makes it tough to feel part of a larger team. Little skills training or encouragement from management to advance in your field/knowledge.

Advice to Management

Provide learning opportunities for advancement in business technology that the company uses. Promote collaboration and skill sharing across brands.

Penske Media2020-01-02
  6. "Awesome Company That Encourages Career Growth and Development"

Current Employee - Site Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company enables you to be independent and autonomous. PMC hires experienced professionals, so they give you space to do your job without looking over your shoulder. You feel like you truly have the ability to affect change and to learn and grow at an environment that makes it fun to go to work every day. This is a company where you could spend your entire career. There is tons of upward mobility and the executive team is keen on hearing opinions from everyone at all levels of seniority. It feels very convivial and like there's much less hierarchy than at other organizations.

Cons

Vacation and other benefits are not as robust, but the company is actively making changes and they're now offering 401K matching.

Penske Media2019-12-11
  7. "Hire New and Experienced Leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Penske Media full-time

Pros

Nice office space with aesthetically pleasing design.

Cons

Poor leadership. Hire people in the leadership level who are efficient and capable of making practical decisions.

Penske Media2020-01-10
  8. "Best Company Ever. Kindness and Humanity are overwhelming!"

Current Employee - Corp Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Penske Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are several things about PMC that make it an amazing place to be - too many to list. I wanted to simply point out that for those employees in the LA headquarters, we received this email from our CEO and HR team recently: 'With tonight’s forecasted winds and the threat of fires returning around the area, we want those of you in potential evacuation areas to know PMC is thinking of you and are here to support you. Should you and your loved ones be affected by evacuations, PMC would like to offer assistance and/or a place to stay during this time. Please simply reach out to us in Human Resources should there be a need of any kind.' I can't think of any other company, corporation, institution or business that would go out of its way for their employees like PMC does.

Cons

not applicable. read above.

Advice to Management

keep being you.

Penske Media2019-10-31
  9. "Terrible place to work, go elsewhere"

I have been working at Penske Media full-time

Pros

Paychecks, bathrooms, some nice people to work with

Cons

Terrible management, bad hires, employees treated like children, lower pay, not up to date with benefits that other companies are adopting, bottom feeder websites

Advice to Management

Hire better people

Penske Media2019-10-28

"Disappointing"

I worked at Penske Media full-time

Pros

I worked on an editorial team within Penske, and I actually really loved my team. My coworkers were friendly and welcoming, my managers were generally down-to-earth and understanding, and there was a lot of room to do genuinely interesting, creative work. However, the values disseminated from the top down were nothing short of disappointing, and that definitely trickled down to affect everyone else.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to have any idea what they're doing. They're buying up once-high-profile media companies, but they don't appear to have the editorial expertise to guide and grow them. They seem to be more concerned with appearing successful than actually being successful—probably PMC's main flaw. Editors are expected to be seated at their desks from 9:30 to 6:30 each day. PTO is somewhat limited. Office holidays are kept to a minimum (Christmas Eve didn't even make the cut). Working remotely is discouraged. And Summer Fridays aren't offered. Together, these restrictions paint a striking picture: Upper management has little regard for work/life balance, and they also have an archaic understanding of what it means to be an editor. Much of an editor's job happens away from their desk—at events, on shoots, building relationships, etc. The idea that a full-time editor is not responsible enough to decide how best to spend their time is patronizing and insulting. And it seems like a decision made for the sake of optics, rather than for the sake of actual productivity. PMC spent a lot of time designing beautiful offices to house all its brands. And the offices really do look nice. However, upper management seemed to care more about keeping the offices looking pristine than making sure we could actually do our jobs in them. They didn't account for interns in one of the brand floor plans, for example, and instead of giving that brand additional seating, they shut down their internship program. (God forbid they ruin the feng-shui!) They also told staffers they weren't allowed to put anything on top of their desks (photos, gifts from PR brands, anything). Most staffers openly defied this rule, but the fact that it was stated in the first place spoke to a lack of appropriate priorities. (A pristine office is more important than an office that staffers actually want to show up to every day?)

Advice to Management

There are some really wonderful brands housed within the PMC portfolio, and many of them are full of potential. However, it's hard to build an empire (or anything, really) if the priorities trickling down from the top aren't particularly thoughtful. Trust that your employees know what they're doing. You hired them for a reason—they're responsible enough to decide whether sitting at a desk for 9 hours is the best use of their time. Put more of an emphasis on work/life balance. Anyone who works in digital can essentially do their job from anywhere, and they might be more productive if you let them. The same is true with office holidays: The company isn't going to lose a ton of money if you give people Christmas Eve off. In fact, it make end up making more money (and it almost definitely will in the longer-term) if you focus on retaining the staff you have by treating them with respect and understanding.

Penske Media2019-10-03